Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14245 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 8:41pm On Jun 05, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
TAO, Olu, study these crowns for me. One is Awujale, they still have this crown till date. The other is OmonOba, they have moved away from use of this crown, use a different type now. These are Ade Ide, beaded crown, are they not?

Go and cool off

The hat and vest the oba had of benin is wearing are both fron the Portuguese
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Amujale:

You're correct but its important to note that the Yoruba language predates Latin.

All the major Nigerian languages predate anything coming out of either Asia or Europe.

And yes, i agree with you that the Benin Empire used Yoruba as their official language.

Hence, you are absolutely correct in your main determination, Benin was a Yoruba speaking Empire.

Yoruba was a benin speaking empire untill british brought in slaves from other african to yorublands in nigeria and it changed thier language to yoruba a corruption of benin. And other African languages
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
This edo rascal that call himself edoyoung is a freak. He said Edo civiliza Yoruba. Wallahi this edo wizard has realy made me angry. Baba lo ma pa e! See and compare Oluwo of Iwo, picture taken about same time. Can you see the palace men and boys? All clothed. Edoyoung or whatever you are, you don craze. Your ancestors were brought out of forest and clothed by Yoruba. Not even by whiteman but by Yoruba.

Baba lo ma pa e! angry Dont fvk around and let me catch you at all. You are stewpid for that comment that you civilized Yoruba. Baba lo ma pa e! Alakori! angry

Nothing makes them yorubas in this picture

The headline tagging them yorubas was wrong those arw not yoruba people
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 9:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
Can you see that first picture your ancestors attending to your king in Benin palace. Same time period withbsecond picture in Iwo the king and his attendants. Now comoare and contrast who civilize who. Dont say that nonsense again herw. angry

That puctures is not yoruba the tagging yoruba was wrong and misleading

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 9:13pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

(1) No sorry! But I understand how this makes you feel though embarassed. You brought this upon yourself. Lol.

Anyways, Ososo, Osi, Ebune, Ugbosi, Ibillo, Ekor, Ekpesa, Lankpese, Ibiekuma, Ekpe, and many others are all Edos in Benin Kingdom.

In fact, one of your brothers here, davidnazee has already admitted that all these are Edos.

So, don't worry about your damage control. It's not useful.

Guess what! Sane people don't even need you or davidnaze to know that these are Edos.

The testimony of the people themselves make it clear that they weren't Yorubas but Edos.

Listen again: "Ososo people say their [ancestors'] houses [were] burnt by Yoruba [during the Ibadan raids of Benin Kingdom]".

Listen again: It was a raid, not a conquest to dwell amidst them. The objective of such raid is simple. It is to capture these Binis and keep them as domestic slaves or sell them overseas.

(2) This is not the Ogedengbe Ilesa raid on Benin Kingdom.

No, this is the Aje Ibadan raid on Benin Kingdom.

Two different raids and rape of Benin Kingdom by the Yorubas.

And I am waiting for any academic piece which says Ogedengbe was killed by the Binis whom he raided and tortured. cheesy

cc: BabaRamota1980

The namelust in ososo towns are yorubas

Claiming edo was a political move and not historical, tho edo ruled over them in historical times but originally they are akoko yorubas who fled to edo

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:24pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

The namelust in ososo towns are yorubas

Claiming edo was a political move and not historical, tho edo ruled over them in historical times but originally they are akoko yorubas who fled to edo

First of all, the settlements of Benin kingdom raided by Aje include:

Ososo, Osi, Ebune, Ugbosi, Ibillo, Ekor, Ekpesa, Lankpese, Ibiekuma, Ekpe, and many others.

So, your damage control about Ososo on the basis ?Wikipedia is not only false but also useless and laughable. cheesy

Moreover, the testimonies of the Ososo people themselves (and all these other Edo people) make it clear that they aren't Yorubas but Edos.

These peoples clearly identified "Yoruba" as separate and distinct from themselves.

Listen again:
"Ososo people say their [ancestors'] houses [were] burnt by Yoruba [during the Ibadan raids of Benin Kingdom]".

Reference:
See attachment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

Ososo, Osi, Ebune, Ugbosi, Ibillo, Ekor, Ekpesa, Lankpese, Ibiekuma, Ekpe, and many others.

So, your damage control about Ososo on the basis ?Wikipedia is not only false but also useless and laughable. cheesy

Moreover, the testimonies of the Ososo people themselves (and all these other Edo people) make it clear that they aren't Yorubas but Edos.

These peoples clearly identified "Yoruba" as separate and distinct from themselves.

Listen again:
"Ososo people say their [ancestors'] houses [were] burnt by Yoruba [during the Ibadan raids of Benin Kingdom]".

Reference:
See attachment.

I posted this a fews years ago in one of my created threads

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

Nothing makes them yorubas in this picture

The headline tagging them yorubas was wrong those are not yoruba people

The photograph itself has a legible handwritten annotation which reads:

Oluwo (King of Iwo) and his wives.

Stop pretending to be blind. Or are you? grin

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

Listen again:

Reference:
See attachment.

Those areas are historically yorubas, politically edo

They are akoko edo from a branch of akokos in ondo state benin only ruled over them
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

I posted this a fews years ago in one of my created threads

I think you're getting yourself confused already. You're replying to a different comment from what you intended.

But to shut this too down as I have been doing, an Edo blog does not constitute an evidence.

You've being humbled on the second thread on this very issue.

What then is the point of coming here hoping to cover your shame with Edo blog which has been trashed in the second thread?

See the link below to the second thread for a reminder:

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas#90351928
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

The photograph itself has a legible handwritten annotation which reads:

Oluwo (King of Iwo) and his wives.

Stop pretending to be blind. Or are you? grin

Nope, the dressing is not yoruba no tribal mark too, the writing on the photograph could be later
Editing
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

Those areas are historically yorubas, politically edo

They are akoko edo from a branch of akokos in ondo state benin only ruled over them

An evidence would have helped you do a better job of chasing this people out of the Edo ethnic group.

Even though your brothers here on Nairaland are silently calling you fool.

Any such evidence?? grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

Nope, the dressing is not yoruba no tribal mark too, the writing on the photograph could be later
Editing

I am glad to have reduced you to a straw-clutching Nairaland clown. grin cheesy

Anyways, that very picture is from the colonial era (1800s specifically).

It is present in The National Archive UK CO 10-69-80-31.

It was uploaded by Pinterest. Not some Edo or Yoruba blogger. grin cheesy

Next straw-clutching clownish excuse!

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edo, women without any shame, roamed about n@ked in as recent as the early 1900s.

I will post a comparative analysis of an European account showing how some Yoruba girls reacted when someone caught a glimpse of them bathing (n@ked obviously).

To be modified

cc: Edeyoung, ayoola27 MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 10:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

An evidence would have helped you do a better job of chasing this people out of the Edo ethnic group.

but u know ososo is part of akoko Edo Yoruba...not Benin...

afar the book ns
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 10:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 10:58pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:
Edo, women without any shame, roamed about n@ked in as recent as the early 1900s.

I will post a comparative analysis of an European account showing how some Yoruba girls reacted when someone caught a glimpse them bathing n@ked (obviously).

To be modified

cc: Edeyoung, ayoola27 MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980

We sold clothes to you all doesnt change the fact we sold clothes to you all

In the ancient benin children be it boys or girls were naked while only adults wete clothed,
Servant's were naked too

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
ayoola27:

but u know ososo is part of akoko Edo Yoruba...not Benin...

afar the book ns

Ososo is Yoruba yet they said Our houses were burnt by Yoruba people. Lol. grin

Which book do I owe you? Did you at anytime pay me for any book? I'm confused now.

Moreover, each of those highlighted attachment in that comment are from different sources.

Also, they are not books, they are peer-reviewed academic journal articles.

One is from R.C.C. Law's "Ethnicity and the Slave Trade: "Lucumi" and "Nago" as Ethnonyms in West Africa", Published by: Cambridge University Press, in the Journal: History in Africa, Vol. 24 (1997).

The second is from John K. Thonton's "Traditions, Documents, and the Ife-Benin Relationship", Published by: Cambridge University Press, in the Journal: History in Africa, Vol. 15 (1988).
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by ayoola27: 11:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

Ososo is Yoruba yet they said Our houses were burn by Yoruba people. Lol. grin

Which book do I owe you? Did you at anytime pay me for any book? I'm confused now.

But they weren't Benin Sha...

I'm just trying to get the name of the book

no vex
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 11:13pm On Jun 05, 2020
TAO12:

Ososo is Yoruba yet they said Our houses were burn by Yoruba people. Lol. grin

Nigga read with free mind bro benins ruled out over them no doubt, but they aint benins or edos
They are akokos from ondo state and they syill keep to thier yoruba names
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:26pm On Jun 05, 2020
ayoola27:

(1) But they weren't Benin Sha...

(2) I'm just trying to get the name of the book

no vex

(1) Of course they aren't Yoruba -- and the attachment made it clear where they distinguished themselves clearly from Yorubas.

The account of their King clearly shows them to be Edos originally from Benin City. [See 1st attachement for reminder]

And according to you, Edos and Benin are one and the same thing -- Not one atom of difference. [See 2nd attachment to see a reminder when you made this claim in reply to BabaRamota]

(2) I have modified the foregoing comment and replied you there.

See below again:

Each of those two highlighted attachments in that comment are from different sources.

Also, they are not books, they are peer-reviewed academic journal articles.

(a) One is from R.C.C. Law's "Ethnicity and the Slave Trade: "Lucumi" and "Nago" as Ethnonyms in West Africa", Published by: Cambridge University Press, in the Journal: History in Africa, Vol. 24 (1997).

(b) The second is from John K. Thonton's "Traditions, Documents, and the Ife-Benin Relationship", Published by: Cambridge University Press, in the Journal: History in Africa, Vol. 15 (1988).

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

I am shocked to see that you identify people's ethnic origin by the "name" of their LOCAL GOVERNMENT grin cheesy ... OMG! cheesy

Using your reasoning, Edo and Delta States are Yorubas etnically.

Why?

They once belonged to the political grouping known as The Old Western Region. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

(1) We sold clothes to you all doesnt change the fact we sold clothes to you all

(2) In the ancient benin children be it boys or girls were naked while only adults wete clothed,
Servant's were naked too

(1) The fact that you sold clothes is actually what makes it even more appalling that many of your women and men (NOT only children) are not considered worthy enough to wear clothes. Wow!

Clothes are such a luxury to your archaic people that it was the exclusive preserve of much more older well to do men and women (?as well as members of the Kings family).

Also, the sale of cloth is something very widespread along the coast where the Europeans had initial contacts. The Ijebus, the Itsekiris, the Lagosians all traded European clothes.

(2) I hate that you continue to deceive yourself into believing that it was only children who roamed n@ked in Benin Kingdom.

No, men and women roamed naked without shame in Benin Kingdom.

The attachment below makes it clear as follows:

"... according to Dapper, "No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court ... There are men at the King's court, twenty and twenty-four years old who without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their neck."

We also read from the same attachment as follows:

"Likewise, the women are not allowed to wear clothes, ... So you can see there, women of twenty and twenty-five years going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 11:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Edeyoung:

Nigga read with free mind bro benins ruled out ve them no doubt but tgey aint benins or edos
They are akokos from ondo state
They bear yoruba names

A group of people's ethnicity is not determined by how their local government and few of their names sound. Okay? cheesy

Also, a group of Yoruba people could not reasonably make such statements along the lines Our houses were burnt by the Yorubas. Okay? Lol.

Accept your Edo people in peace!

Aje from Ibadan raided settlements of Benin Kingdom. An undeniable historical fact.

Ogedengbe is another bad Yoruba demon who raided in Benin Kingdom. grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 9:14am On Jun 06, 2020
TAO12:

A group of people's ethnicity is not determined by how their local government and few of their names sound. Okay? cheesy

Also, a group of Yoruba people could not reasonably make such statements along the lines Our houses were burnt by the Yorubas. Okay? Lol.

Accept your Edo people in peace!

Aje from Ibadan raided settlements of Benin Kingdom. An undeniable historical fact.

Ogedengbe is another bad Yoruba demon who raided in Benin Kingdom. grin

Again you argue like a child....

Thanks no need to keep this discussion going
The info we have passed his enough
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 9:29am On Jun 06, 2020
Edeyoung:

Again you argue like a child....

Thanks no need to keep this discussion going
The info we have passed his enough

As always, I am glad to have debunked your nonsense and exposed your lies and bigotry.

Do let me know if you have further lies to tell.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 12:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

Yoruba was a benin speaking empire untill british brought in slaves from other african to yorublands in nigeria and it changed thier language to yoruba a corruption of benin. And other African languages

Not really, you dont get it.

Only the officials and government of the empire spoke Yoruba and used as their Lingua Franka, the people of Benin retain their languages.

The people of Benin owned and controlled their own Empire, they chose to use Yoruba as their official language.

Its important to note that all the blame of slavery lies under the feet of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.

The notion that Africans sold other Africans into slavery is the biggest lie in all of human history. The Arabian fundamentalist are one of the main culprits for the horific transatlantic campaign and are the ones some unscrupulous historians tend to intentionally confuse for the African.

Remember, no matter the lies that are out there, the Africans arent the cause of slavery, the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocemtric warmongers were.

Kindly, stop peddling a false narrative.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 12:46pm On Jun 07, 2020
ayoola27:

I read the other attachment ...it clearly states that Yoruba were employed in the palace...as slaves ...

Its important to note that Africans never enslaved other African prior to foreign distruption.

What you are finding funny is treachery, Stop peddling these false narratives.

The slavetrade in Africa lasted for 2000 years; begins by the Arabiam fundamentalist with the Arabian slave trade, then the Portuguese slave trade and finally the Transatlantic slavetrade.

The Potuguese were the ones who started that slavetrade, stop blaming innocent people.

The people that was stolen away from Africa are heroes forever more.

The portuguese stole and tricked people, chiefs, professionals and dignitaries was stolen and forced into slave labour at the otherside of the globe.

Thats what happened, thats the correct narrative.

I hope that clears that up.

All the blame of slavery lies at the feet of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 12:50pm On Jun 07, 2020
Amujale:

Its important to note that Africans never enslaved other African prior to foreign distruption.

What you are finding funny is treachery, Stop peddling these false narratives.

The slavetrade in Africa lasted for 2000 years; begins by the Arabiam fundamentalist with the Arabian slave trade, then the Portuguese slave trade and finally the Transatlantic slavetrade.

I hope that clears that up.

All the blame of slavery lies at the feet of the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers.
slavery was an institution worldwide. In Yoruba land over 70 percent of people were slaves. Slavery helped to make sure that no one was left behind. It helped to make sure there was no unemployment.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2020
lawani:
slavery was an institution worldwide...

Yes, i get that but it wasnt worldwide, it was amongst the Arabian fundamentalist and the Eurocentric warmongers.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 4:37pm On Jun 07, 2020
Amujale:
Its important to note that Africans never enslaved other African prior to foreign distruption ...

I have already addressed his comment to be false.

Read my reply to him on this particular comment and modify yours accordingly.

Moreover, Africans did enslave one another.

The Yorubas have extant indigenous words for different variety of slaves, namely Ẹrú and Ìwọ̀fà.

It's nothing to get emotionally defensive about.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 4:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
Amujale:

Not really, you dont get it.

Only the officials and government of the empire spoke Yoruba and used as their Lingua Franka, the people of Benin retain their languages ...

This is quite not true.

What is true instead is that the Yoruba language was once the lingua-franca of THE BENIN KINGDOM.

Always verify information careful (especially when you're unsure) before typing something out there.

Don't be bullied into reaching a compromise with Benin liars. Let facts remain facts.

Please be aware that Binis on Nairaland are notorious for repeating a lie even after been caught red-handed pants down.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? / Igala Affinity: ‘IFA’ Is The Connecting Link Of Original Nigerians – Attah / Is Kwale A Town Or Tribe? Pls Clarify Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.