Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,184 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll (16235 Views)

Poll: Who is your candidate?

Buhari(CPC): 48% (356 votes)
Dele Momodu (NCP): 0% (2 votes)
GEJ(PDP): 25% (191 votes)
Ribadu(ACN): 21% (157 votes)
Utomi(SDMP): 1% (13 votes)
Okotie(FP): 0% (4 votes)
Shekarau(ANPP): 0% (5 votes)
Others: 1% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Official (presidential only) Results So Far Declared By INEC As At March 30 / Official Presidential Election Result For Ondo Has Been Released By INEC / Nairaland Presidential Opinion Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by steroid: 10:11pm On Jan 16, 2011
marvix:

Nigerians would make the mistake of 1985 if we allow Ribadu without experience to lead this nation.

Despots have always been made out of idealists, Ribadu is just another despot waiting to happen in Africa, if we are to look closely at his tenure at EFCC it would show the symptoms despots are known to have.

Despots believe that they are always right, they believe that they can do all by themselves, they set up organisations and institutions that rely so much on their personality hence they fear that if they leave the institution that the dreams they have for the organisation would not be achieved.

They feel they can justifiably flout court orders because the Judge may have been bribed or his unfair.

Despots are young men with a very impatient passion of their country, they love their countries but dont realise when they are destroying it.

Robert Mugabe was a leading light in the days of the fight of independence but today can we look at him as a hero anymore, Babangida was younger than Ribadu is now when he Babangida became military head of state.

If anyone says PDP has made our lives miserable in the last 12yrs, I agree, but then I ask one question did our problems start 12 years ago, is the PDP of today the same PDP of 1999,2003 or even the 2007.

The PDP has tried within itself, some of the bad eggs have been frustrated out, Obj is been frustrated, Igbinedion is no more a member of PDP he supports ACN in secret, that is the man who made Edo a confirmed ancient city, can Ibori still determine who gets what in the PDP, where is Odili in the scheme of things in the PDP, where is IBB in PDP just a floor member at least we know that he is an opposing camp to the presidential candidate of the party.

Nothing good comes easily, nothing achieved quickly lasts, Ribadu does not deserve to be president just because of his achievements in EFCC, if that was enough then what office would I ask Sanusi Lamido to go for after his achievements in the CBN, even Sanusi was able to recommend Ibru to court and get a conviction.

Nigerians dont need people who want to personalise office, Goodluck has never personalised his office either as president, vicepresident, governor or even deputy governor, he has always been known to consult and played roles as a member of a team.

If Goodluck could play the politics that delivered him the PDP presidential candidate without killing his party, it tells a lot of a man who would get what he wants without destroying the house.

Goodluck and Ribadu are men both made by Obasanjo, they are two sides to the same coin when it comes to Godfatherism, would anyone have heard of Ribadu today if not for Obj, so please the Obj angle should not be an issue because both men respect him because he brought them to where they are today.

Ribadu is a good man with good intentions but even with good intentions he needs to learn how to preach his message in the political arena, we need to expand our political space, this would be better achieved with a Ribadu in the senate, we narrow our political space when all our best hands want to take the presidency at the same time, it leaves the space for charlatans to take over offices we consider less important but they are critically important, this is evident in the last dispensation, when all the bright minds all wanted to be president in 2007 like there would never be another opportunity after that election, the Dukes and Utomis were running for President while complete idiots like Omisiore and Maeba where quietly stealing seats in the National Assembly.

I know the best man will win and the best man in a political contest is not the man with the biggest dream it is the man with the biggest appeal, it is not the man with eloquent speeches but a man who is understood, it is not a oneman mafia but the man with the mafian support.

I support Goodluck Ebele Jonathan today as I had supported Yaradua when he became president because I can see in them genuine effort to solve the problems of this country within the ambit of the laws that bind us, Yaradua would never do anything with fiat, he ensures that he gets all necessary approvals, Yaradua never exhibited absolute power, just like GEJ is known never to do but can we say same of Ribadu.

GEJ has not disobeyed any court order can we say the same of Ribadu?

The youths should not be deceived, Ribadu is not more youth than Jonathan is, if Generational shift is what we want, we can get that with Jonathan he is only 4 years older than Ribadu hence they fall within the same generation, if we want to leave their generation maybe I should offer my 32 year old self as president of the federal republic of Nigeria.

Well said.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 10:20pm On Jan 16, 2011
U can say that again and again dear
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 12:30am On Jan 17, 2011
@Steroid, Thanks for seeing the points, guess some have eyes but cant see,
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by spade: 11:58am On Jan 17, 2011
I am not surprised it is now 21 to 14 in favor of Ribadu

Well, it looks like you spoke too soon, my dear Gbawe, as Jonathan is now just 2 votes away from beating Mr. Ribadu.
It is only natural that most people are quick to initially support Nuhu; but after viewing things from a more critical and objective angle, especially considering the flawless points raised by Marvix, they begin to realize that Ribadu IS, by all accounts, a despot. Do not get me wrong - He and Utomi, I respect with all my heart; but I'd very honestly prefer they FIRST attain Senatorial posts before going for Citizen Number 1.
Trust me, it's for the best smiley
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 12:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
spade:

Well, it looks like you spoke too soon, my dear Gbawe, as Jonathan is now just 2 votes away from beating Mr. Ribadu.
It is only natural that most people are quick to initially support Nuhu;

Even if GEJ catches up with Ribadu the point remains the same i.e the former EFCC boss is doing very well against an "annointed" incumbent. Jonathan , minimally , would have lost the support of many Nigerians who backed him initially and have now seen him 'in action' , for many months, to note he is more of the same and a big , fat zero performance wise.

but after viewing things from a more critical and objective angle, especially considering the flawless points raised by Marvix, they begin to realize that Ribadu IS, by all accounts, a despot. Do not get me wrong - He and Utomi, I respect with all my heart; but I'd very honestly prefer they FIRST attain Senatorial posts before going for Citizen Number 1.

Are you from the ND region by any chance? I ask because most Nairaland members from that region have a strange and oddly peculiar way of reasoning and talking. Who respects , "with all their heart" , a man they consider to be a "despot" ? You then want that "despot" to have an influential role making laws , as a Senator, for Nigeria ? 
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 12:20pm On Jan 17, 2011
Do u judge a candidate's acceptability online in nigeria? U have fail as over 70% elligible voters have no access to the internet and those that has do have multiple i.ds. Ribadu is not even known in the grass roots as a presidential candidate and his party is regional, i assure u he will not make it.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 12:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
Nsiman:

Do u judge a candidate's acceptability online in nigeria? U have fail as over 70% elligible voters have no access to the internet and those that has do have multiple i.ds. Ribadu is not even known in the grass roots as a presidential candidate and his party is regional, i assure u he will not make it.

Of course not. I made this clear previously;

Yes it may be diasporan and well-off Nigerians voting on NL but the powerful message sent is that folks who have their own minds , are well-informed and are not motivated by 'bags of rice' , will vote for Ribadu ahead of "more of the same" GEJ. The next few weeks will be interesting .
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Hodaya(m): 2:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
I'm so surprised to see ACN/Ribadu lead the race on this poll but in reality PDP's corrupt nationwide political mechanism has no match.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
Go, create i.ds, come back here and tell us igbadu is leading
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 3:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
Nsiman:

No need revealing your tactics to us . We all know what the supporters of a very desperate candidate are capable of.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Muza(m): 8:21pm On Jan 17, 2011
If you love corruption and backwardness and a spendthrift govt that spends money with nothing to show for it, vote for Jonathan Goodluck. If you hate corruption as a progressive and want total eradication and instilling of discipline in Nigerians, vote for Gen Buhari. If you want favoritism, selective justice, witch hunting and doubled standards then vote Ribadu.

the choice is yours,make a wise choice,make the right choice and you'll be glad you did

#RSVP
#Rig2011ElectionsAndYouDie
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 11:41pm On Jan 17, 2011
@Muza,

If you love a calculating, down to earth presidency where the process of governance is subject to transparency, an administration that would fight corruption within the rule of law and build institutions stronger than their images, Vote Goodluck

If you love a harsh, tough rigid gentleman who would fight corruption without regards to rule of law or due process, Vote Buhari

If you want a youthful president, who will be selective in his judgement, build institutions that will rely heavily on his image and disposition, Vote Ribadu
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by spade: 12:09am On Jan 18, 2011
Are you from the ND region by
any chance? I ask because most
Nairaland members from that
region have a strange and oddly
peculiar way of reasoning and
talking. Who respects , "with all
their heart" , a man they
consider to be a "despot" ?

Ahh, thank you, my brother. What I actually meant to say was "potential despot" - but since I was using a phone, proof-reading was technically stressful. smiley

I find it funny, however, the fact you decided to side-step each and every flawless point raised by Marvix, only to jump on the inconsequential and unimportant question regarding my place of origin, as a desperate attempt to gain a few points. Unfortunately, that is a way of unwittingly admitting to your defeat in this debate, because it simply shows you've got nothing else to say in order to convince us otherwise, regarding Ribadu's clear incapability. Well, since you're obviously still under the illusion that picking on people's choice of words is going to earn your candidate some votes, then you're definitely in for a shock when reality beckons on April - because, guess what? At this point, we (with our "oddly peculiar way of reasoning"wink are going to be voting GEJ, since it is obvious the internet grammar nazis and closet tribalists have woefully failed to convince us with any intelligent arguments in favor of the contrary. Too bad, so sad.

Oh, by the way, I'm from Abia State - so you've even failed on the second count. smiley
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 8:57am On Jan 18, 2011
spade:

Ahh, thank you, my brother. What I actually meant to say was "potential despot" - but since I was using a phone, proof-reading was technically stressful. smiley

I find it funny, however, the fact you decided to side-step each and every flawless point raised by Marvix, only to jump on the inconsequential and unimportant question regarding my place of origin, as a desperate attempt to gain a few points. Unfortunately, that is a way of unwittingly admitting to your defeat in this debate, because it simply shows you've got nothing else to say in order to convince us otherwise, regarding Ribadu's clear incapability. Well, since you're obviously still under the illusion that picking on people's choice of words is going to earn your candidate some votes, then you're definitely in for a shock when reality beckons on April - because, guess what? At this point, we (with our "oddly peculiar way of reasoning"wink are going to be voting GEJ, since it is obvious the internet grammar nazis and closet tribalists have woefully failed to convince us with any intelligent arguments in favor of the contrary. Too bad, so sad.

Oh, by the way, I'm from Abia State - so you've even failed on the second count. smiley

Guy you are just too much!!!

Ribadus supporters never cease to amaze me with their criticism for Jonathan as been clueless, A man who played his way calmly into becoming president, who got all the charges against Ribadu withdrawn without fuss from all those who made Ribadu a fugitive, a man who diligently and quietly solved the perenial fuel scarcity, A man who is not afraid to negotiate and dialogue knowing that dialogue is the only way to solve problems.

Ribadu who became EFCC chairman by the police authority was asked to quit and he made it an issue, he even disobeyed his reposting to Benin City, he couldnt fight the system from within, yet Jonathan fought for the system within, can we imagine a Ribadu being a vice to a sick president like Jonathan was, he would have had to flee this country and start fighting from America shocked shocked, is that the way a diplomatic man plays politics

Ribadu needs to learn how to deputise in the least, he was not deputy to anyone at EFCC we should not make a despot out af a man who could be our own version of Obama, Ribadus supporters it is in your hands either to make Ribadu an Obama or a Mugabe.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Are you from the ND region by any chance? I ask because most Nairaland members from that region have a strange and oddly peculiar way of reasoning and talking. Who respects , "with all their heart" , a man they consider to be a "despot" ? You then want that "despot" to have an influential role making laws , as a Senator, for Nigeria ? 

clearly somebody i should avoid, before he and his ilks reignite the night of the long knives, like they always do upriver. keep identifying NL members from ND, you shall be met fire for fire any where in this geographical entity called Nigeria.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Nsiman(m): 4:29pm On Jan 18, 2011
The fire will in turn consume u. Onoufia
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 4:53pm On Jan 18, 2011
df2006:

clearly somebody i should avoid, before he and his ilks reignite the night of the long knives, like they always do upriver. keep identifying NL members from ND, you shall be met fire for fire any where in this geographical entity called Nigeria.

Mate, Nairaland members from the ND region are the ones who "identify" themselves with the way they talk and reason . That is my point. Your threat of "fire for fire" , for example, is a case in point. Personally, I am not interested in matching any fellow Nigerian "Fire for fire" over an insincere politician like GEJ. Yes I said "insincere" . Even the most glib fan cannot mitigate for how Yar Adua and Jonathan promised electoral reform yet Jonathan , when he should be attempting to sanction and punish electoral offenders, was busy leading the re-election campaign of a Governor found guilty of electoral malpractices by a competent Court of Law !!! The implication is obvious i.e our President is an insincere individual who does not understand that serious wrongdoing , harmful to the progress of Nigeria , should be punished severely not endorsed openly . Even more hypocritical when viewed in the context that Jonathan had already stated publicly that Nigeria cannot move forward if the electoral will of Nigerians is undermined !!!!

Similarly we all saw Yar Adua fight for an election rigger (Oni of Ekiti) in the same way Jonathan fought for Uduaghan. When Nigeria has the right President in place we will all know because that individual will be of high personal principle, upright conduct and integrity. That President will lead , by example, the fight to eradicate election rigging in Nigeria. The right President will not openly abet criminality regularly as Jonathan does . Jonathan's action is no different to how Police officers rent guns to armed robbers yet pretend to fight crime. Clearly Yar Adua = Jonathan = PDP = insincerity = hypocrisy and decietful double-speak.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Jarus(m): 4:58pm On Jan 18, 2011
Gbawe, your argumentative skills is commendable. I admire it.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 6:02pm On Jan 18, 2011
Jarus:

Thanks my brother but I cannot take all the credit. GEJ makes it too easy with his actions. If we can all look at his conducts , as President , disspassionately and  without bias we will see glaringly that he is not the leader we need at this stage in our development as a Nation. Virtually all the arguement some are making in favour of GEJ were advanced for Yar Adua also.

With Yar Adua , Nigerians can be forgiven for viewing him different to how he eventually turned out since most did not have a good knowledge of his performance as Katsina Governor. Many gave Yar Adua the benefit of the doubt because of what they had heard , from OBJ and others, about "humility", "simplicity" , "most fiscally responsible Governor in Nigeria" etc. OBJ and co did a good 'PR' Job on Nigerians. We are now getting the same "PR" job with Jonathan but the difference is that we can, and should, make better judgement than we did in 2006-2007 because we have all seen Jonathan in action ( or perhaps more suitably inaction)  as President.

What will be our excuse , after 4 more wasted years, if we vote in another misruling stooge of those who have gotten us where we are when we have had sufficient time and seen countless inept, self-serving and downright condemnable actions from Jonathan  in 'his element' that shows he is not up to the Job? After "one of the worst election in the history of man" it is inconcievable that Yar Adua and Jonathan have both stood in the way of the automatic banning and punishment of election riggers as recommended by Justice Uwais in his electoral reform documented submissions. One can only conclude that Yar Adua and Jonathan are loath to introduce a policy , however good for Nigeria and badly needed for our development , that may harm the PDP immensely with how virtually all their politicians may be languishing in Jail after election time. This is why GEJ = "more of the same". EVerything he does will be totally guided by political expediency rather than the staunch political will that will ensure things are done in the best interest of Nigeria and ordinary Nigerians.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by xynerise: 7:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^^hmmmmmmm, cool
I like this
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by marvix(m): 11:27am On Jan 19, 2011
Jarus:

Jarus what arguementative skills are you talkin about, Gbawe plays to the gallery, he avoids issues and brings up untrue scenarios to deceive people on this forum.

He is a blind supporter of Ribadu and he jumps into arguements blindly and fanatically, since Ribadu came into the contest nothing GEJ does has ever been right to Gbawe.

Ribadu was a fugitive before Jonathan became President, but today Ribadu is a candidate for the presidency, this was possible because of Jonathans role in ensuring that the truth prevailed on Ribadu and Elrufais case.

Ribadu is clamouring today that the PDP has ruined this country but Ribadu was part of them ruining us when Obj held sway, he determined who was corrupt and who was not.

Gbawe wants Nairalanders to believe that GEJ is doing nothing just drawing salaries and allowances for himself and family members and leaving the nation to rot, but this is the biggest lie, I have travelled across the country by road not air, I travelled from Portharcourt to katsina by road, the roads are not perfect but I saw construction works going on, Portharcourt to Lagos work was ongoing, Within Abuja road works ongoing, Portharcourt road works ongoing, Lagos Benin road work in progress Lagos Abeokuta road completed, No contractor has left site because of lack of payment, travelled during xmas period incidents of armed robberies very low.

Jonathan became president 8months ago and has talked about road map for the power sector, PIB with the National assembly, free and fair primaries conducted in his party, he contested with Atiku and played the politics, set up and approved AMCON to take care of the toxic assets in the banks, lifted the ban on importation of Textiles and increased the age of cars that can be imported, this has the effect of reducing smuggling and loss of revenue to corrupt customs officers, fuel supply has been efficient while he is working on reducing our dependence on importation.

Was Ribadu able to wipe out corruption while he was at the EFCC for the 4years he was there? So why should we expect Jonathan to solve all our national problems within 8 months or 1year.

He has started well and I believe that he deserves the support of all and sundry Ribadu is no contender he is just a pretender, Ribadu should go to the National Assembly and let Jonathan end the careers of the politicians of the old order.

Jonathan has been sincere in all his dealings as President, was Ribadu sincere in his dealings as EFCC chairman?

Why was Ribadu only after the govs that opposed Obj while those who were in Objs camp were left alone.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 12:13pm On Jan 19, 2011
marvix:

Jarus what arguementative skills are you talkin about, Gbawe plays to the gallery, he avoids issues and brings up untrue scenarios to deceive people on this forum.

He is a blind supporter of Ribadu and he jumps into arguements blindly and fanatically, since Ribadu came into the contest nothing GEJ does has ever been right to Gbawe.

The one things you fans of GEJ have in common is that , beyond the facade, many of you are eventually outed as  mean-spirited , bellicose, intolerant of criticism and always looking to discredit anyone or anything standing in the way of your messiah. When you are not attacking Ribadu and Buhari you are attempting to discredit Gbawe or any other Nairalander not taken with your candidate . You are all not mature or objective enough to give folks their dues simply because you are incapable of seeing anything good from anyone that rejects your candidate. That is why Ribadu , suddenly, became a "despot" and Buhari a "radical fundamentalist".

You guys all act like you are still in primary school . What is the matter with all of you? Please if your mission is now an obssession , like that of Beaf , Tensor 777 (or whatever his username is) and co, to discredit me then you should know you are wasting your time. Others tried it and failed because well-balanced and objective Nairalanders themselves can judge what I write to know that it is the truth. You should all grow up. Your divisive, pugnacious, "fire for fire" and 'divide and conquer' mentality are for children.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 12:35pm On Jan 19, 2011
Gbawe:

The one things you fans of GEJ have in common is that , beyond the facade, many of you are eventually outed as  mean-spirited , bellicose, intolerant of criticism and always looking to discredit anyone or anything standing in the way of your messiah. When you are not attacking Ribadu and Buhari you are attempting to discredit Gbawe or any other Nairalander not taken with your candidate . You are all not mature or objective enough to give folks their dues simply because you are incapable of seeing anything good from anyone that rejects your candidate. That is why Ribadu , suddenly, became a "despot" and Buhari a "radical fundamentalist".

You guys all act like you are still in primary school . What is the matter with all of you? Please if your mission is now an obssession , like that of Beaf , Tensor 777 (or whatever his username is) and co, to discredit me then you should know you are wasting your time. Others tried it and failed because well-balanced and objective Nairalanders themselves can judge what I write to know that it is the truth. You should all grow up. Your divisive, pugnacious, "fire for fire" and 'divide and conquer' mentality are for children.

Posted the part below a few days ago and have not been able to get a respond as to the "achievements" we keep on hearing about. @marvix, I will take Gbawe's posts with a pinch of salt if I were you since anyone who even dares suggest that Ribadu's records might not be as glowing as we are told to believe is a foolish GEJ apologist and supporter. Badmouthing everyone else does make make Ribadu a saint or even the best option, especially when there is a refusal to critically look at Ribadu's records as a EFCC chairman.

Just to keep things moving I will ignore your childishly mocking remarks and focus on the points raised. I don't hold brief for Jonathan. I cannot speak for Jonathan, neither have I at any point claimed to speak for him. What is important to me is the best out of the major candidates getting a shot (which we won't discover if we are afraid to prod and make some names untouchable or beyond criticism and reprimand). The whole Senator Folarin debacle is a valid one and the only thing I can think of is elections, simple as that. Jonathan's tactics probably changed once he decided to run for elections. As a result winning elections has gained prominence in his list of priorities (possibly above other things). You might not agree with it, you might hate it, you might even argue about its questionable morality (and I will agree with you on that), but it is understandable and pretending otherwise is simply dishonest. I have tried to answer that question to the best of my understanding (even though the question was never ever posited to me).

Now why don't we turn the focus back on Ribadu. [b]You say you have listed his achievements but I would like to look beyond international celebrity and focus on concrete records of the EFCC when he was leading it (after all that is how he gained prominence), so why don't we take stock? Considering the seemingly endless list of people that happened to be in his cross hairs while he was in office, is it crazy to ask how many of these people are in jail today? How many of these people have been prosecuted? I remember the whole Odilli saga quite well, I also remember being told that all governors apart from Donald Duke were pretty much corrupt and there was evidence to prove it, so please do tell, what happened? Why weren't these people prosecuted and why do a lot of them still have mansions in Abuja? Is plea bargaining an effective deterrent to the corruption he so vocally proclaimed to fight? These are genuine questions, no agenda, just genuine questions. Are they so ridiculously irrelevant and wrecklessly audacious that the issues they raise do not deserve to be addressed?[/b]
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2011
Sky Blue:

Posted the part below a few days ago and have not been able to get a respond as to the "achievements" we keep on hearing about. @marvix, I will take Gbawe's posts with a pinch of salt if I were you since anyone who even dares suggest that Ribadu's records might not be as glowing as we are told to believe is a foolish GEJ apologist and supporter. Badmouthing everyone else does make make Ribadu a saint or even the best option, especially when there is a refusal to critically look at Ribadu's records as a EFCC chairman.

Give it a rest. What you are suggesting is not my style . I generally try to rise above insults but I make no apologies for having strong words for fans of jonathan because many (perhaps minus Na-so) get very personal and routinely hurl insults ungraciously and without provocation at Nairalanders just to defend their candidate. You cannot claim to be ignorant of this. I have reviewed Ribadu's record as EFCC Chairman in the past. I know where you are going with your enquiry and , frankly, I don't want to get involved in counter-productive debates where everything I say becomes the basis of 200 enquiries by GEJ fans . If you have specific examples of Ribadu not doing his job well raise it and I will attempt to respond adequately .

Where , sincerely, do you want me to begin an assessment of Ribadu's leadership of the EFCC? Do I dedicate pages to talking about how he single-handled and successfully supervised the recruitment, training and motivation of deputies who turned out to be as driven and as dedicated as he ? Shall I review his unprecedented take down of  Tafa Balogun, an IGP shocked shocked How about his sterling work to tackle 419 and internet fraud that saw the significant reduction of those type of crime? How about Ribadu's much unknown work and unprecedented cooperation with international crime  agencies that led to a glorious period when Nigerian gained expedited assistance, training of operatives and fundings that led to never-before-seen success against money laundering and international financial crime? Can someone pray tell me what the situtation is today under Waziri and thus GEJ?

Were the many Nations who  cooperated with and celebrated Ribadu , yet now reject Waziri's EFCC vehemently, doing so out of any consideration other than how they saw that Ribadu's methodical approach delivered success not seen until then? How about Ribadu's admiral record of successful prosecution against high level corruption and his There is much about Ribadu's success than is unknown and unappreciated. Those focusing on selective persecution do so because they have an agenda . A disspassionate look at the man's pioneering work shows he was , without doubt , very good at his job as EFCC Chairman. The problem is that most Nigerians remain ignorant of how difficult Ribadu's work was compounded by the harsh environment he worked in that had many very influential corrupt individuals able to induce the judiciary faster than one can say "Ibori" . Certainly I doubt you are more intelligent or more knowledgeable than the many progressive Nigerians who hail Ribadu a resounding success to the extent they now offer their [b]voluntary [/b]and undiluted backing for him. Below Dr Aliyu Tilde makes my case with his erudite arguements.

http://saharareporters.com/article/why-buhari-should-concede-ribadu

Ribadu has fought corruption as EFCC Chairman, in addition to his less known similar roles as a police prosecutor. The gap which his absence created is acknowledged even beyond the shores of Nigeria. To appreciate his success, we need to factor in the circumstance in which he operates, especially if we relate him with Buhari. While Buhari fought against corruption as a military head of state with full powers of state during a period that had no existing constitution, Ribadu served under a constitutional government that accorded citizens freedoms of various kinds. Many criminals exploited those provisions through the courts whose judges were ready to grant orders that would frustrate their prosecution. We were witness to issuance of such orders and now the anti-corruption prince, as I called him in those days, had to navigate his way to success in spite of them.

More importantly, however, is the civilian dictator under whom he served and to whom he must refer cases for approval by law before he prosecute them. Despite this handicap, Ribadu prosecuted hundreds of cases starting with the then rampant '419' that earned a very bad reputation for Nigeria until he reached the high and mighty like governors and his very boss, former Inspector General of Police, Tafa Balogun. We have seen thousands of police officers, army generals and jurists. Yet, few have surpassed Ribadu in his feat against corruption. If we are sincere, we will not find it difficult to place him in the league of those who fought corruption in this country.

One can just imagine what the fate of most of our governors would have been had Ribadu served as a head of state in a regime that is not encumbered with constitutional impediments like immunity and citizen's right. With an eye into the future one can as well imagine what he can achieve as a President in whose hand is entrusted not only the power of prosecution but also the command of the state apparatus of coercion. No objective mind can down play the manifestation of his courage and the determination of his pursuit in confronting the difficulties he went through, the risks he took and the dangers he faced.

Of course Ribadu did not prosecute every corrupt person for the simple fact that only God would have done so. Some say, why did not he prosecute Obasanjo in particular? How could he do so when he needed the approval of Obasanjo to prosecute any case? He was smart enough to realize the limitations of his office and the almost infinite power of the dictatorial President. He left that task to those that would come after him or perhaps, when time would be more auspicious. Unfortunately, that time was not offered him by Obasanjo's successor. Had he tried to be foolish during Obasanjo, he would have earned our applause, but the dictator would have crushed him and his EFCC, making the nation lose everything.[b] We still have not stopped lamenting the fall of Buhari in 1984, a fact attested by our now decade long fight for his return.

Like Buhari, This record is all Ribadu has. Fortunately it has been acknowledged by many people in this country. [b]It explains his popularity among civil society groups, the local intelligentsia and the international community."
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2011
Gbawe:

Give it a rest. What you are suggesting is not my style . I generally try to rise above insults but I make no apologies for having strong words for fans of jonathan because many (perhaps minus Na-so) get very personal  and routinely hurl insults ungraciously and without provocation at Nairalanders just to defend their candidate. You cannot claim to be ignorant of this. I have reviewed Ribadu's record as EFCC Chairman in the past. I know where you are going with your enquiry and , frankly, I don't want to get involved in counter-productive debates where everything I say becomes the basis of 200 enquiries by GEJ fans . If you have specific examples of Ribadu not doing his job well raise it and I will attempt to respond adequately .
[size=14pt]
Where , sincerely, do you want me to begin an assessment of Ribadu's leadership of the EFCC?
[/size] Do I dedicate pages to talking about how he single-handled and successfully supervised the recruitment, training and motivation of deputies who turned out to be as driven and as dedicated as he ? Shall I review his unprecedented take down of  Tafa Balogun, an IGP shocked shocked How about his sterling work to tackle 419 and internet fraud that saw the significant reduction of those type of crime? How about Ribadu's much unknown work and unprecedented cooperation with international crime  agencies that led to a glorious period when Nigerian gained expedited assistance, training of operatives and fundings that led to never-before-seen success against money laundering and international financial crime? Can someone pray tell me what the situtation is today under Waziri and thus GEJ?

Were the many Nations who  cooperated with and celebrated Ribadu , yet now reject Waziri's EFCC vehemently, doing so out of any consideration other than how they saw that Ribadu's methodical approach delivered success not seen until then? How about Ribadu's admiral record of successful prosecution against high level corruption and his There is much about Ribadu's success than is unknown and unappreciated. Those focusing on selective persecution do so because they have an agenda . A disspassionate look at the man's pioneering work shows he was , without doubt , very good at his job as EFCC Chairman. The problem is that most Nigerians remain ignorant of how difficult Ribadu's work was compounded by the harsh environment he worked in that had many very influential corrupt individuals able to induce the judiciary faster than one can say "Ibori" . Certainly I doubt you are more intelligent or more knowledgeable than the many progressive Nigerians who hail Ribadu a resounding success to the extent they now offer their voluntary and undiluted backing for him. Below Dr Aliyu Tilde makes my case with his erudite arguements.

http://saharareporters.com/article/why-buhari-should-concede-ribadu

Ribadu told the country that all ex govenors during the OBJ regime apart from Donald Duke were corrupt. He alluded to having evidence to that effect. Peter Odilli had been governor of Rivers State for about eight years and it was not until he showed presidential ambition that the EFCC revealed startling details about what their investigations had uncovered. How come with all the noise that was made about political and general public office holders being corrupt with evidences to prosecute them, you can only name one person who was successfully prosecuted. Does the fact that the case against Odilli (who should without a doubt in my mind be in jail now) gained prominence when he showed presidential ambition and then fade away after that suggest he was doing the political dirty work of others as opposed to doing what was the best for the country? Of all the governors that public officers that Ribadu claimed to be corrupt, how many are in jail today? How can you so proudly shout one name and use it as passmark? If I say there are 100 high profile public officers I know that are corrupt and I only manage to prosecute one, will you shake my hand for a job well done? Do you think his records in prosecuting public officers justify the level of noise he made during his tenure? What makes Ribadu even better than Waziri, considering that I can also name one (Bode George) high profile person she had put in jail? Is success now a measure of how much media coverage you can receive as opposed to how effective and e.xpediant you are at doing your job? If Ribadu's record in prosecuting high profile public officers (which prominent people blamed on the EFCC's poorly constructed court cases), how are we then supposed to be so certain he would be able to fight corruption the way we require it?

You keep on going on and on about have you have addressed the issue of Ribadu's but you seemed to avoid a lot of sections of these so called records with surgical precision, so I am just seeking some clarification on the so called "stellar" achievements. I hope the questions I have posited to you are "specific" enough for you to address adequately.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 2:17pm On Jan 19, 2011
@ Sky Blue.

Let me preempt uneccessary debate. If your angle is the usual  "Ribadu was Partisan arguement" then I have dealth with that comprehensively already same as I told you I haven his  commented exhaustively on his record as EFCC chairman.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-585949.96.html

My friend , we cannot have puritanical saints involved with leadership in Nigeria at the moment because we are easily a 100 years behind some of the best democracies in the World. That is a fact that may not sit well with idealists . If Ribadu Presents the file of Bode George to OBJ and he is vetoed the option is for him to resign or carry on with the notion that "half bread is better than non" in the hope that a less compromised President , in future, will give him the leeway to do his job more effectively  . Some will say Ribadu should have resigned like Okonjo-Iweala while others will argue that the challenges are different and that Ribadu was right to carry on in a treachery-laden system with the contention that , while still in the system, he can influence the system for the better. Let us not forget that okonjo-Iweala , fantastic woman that she is and one of ribadu's admirer and staunch supporters, initially accepted her ungracious posting away from her beloved  Finance Ministry , after she had done so much for nigeria, because she "still felt compelled to serve her nation" . Infact she raised dust at her new appointment by revealing , to the embarrasment of OBJ and co, that pens, paper and basic office supplies were unavailable in testimony to rank decay. in the end they wanted her out and she obliged even as she was pained to do so.Certainly , some of the most intelligent Nigerians with the most upright character are behind this man more than anyone else . I would think that counts for an endorsement of Ribadu as a whole in recognition of the fact that , for the first time in our history, one man had a significant impact in tackling corruption, enhancing Nigeria's image and getting us declassified from many harmful lists that impact credit ratings, busines friendliness quotient, etc.

Ribadu did well in an environment where almost everyone else would have failed . After corruption had become institutionalised the onus , more or less , was on one man to reform the system. He did this well to local and international acclaim. Even an amateur knowledge of the prevailing political atmosphere at the time will make most folks understand that Ribadu did very well when OBJ probably brought in a sincere man he could use to gain kudos yet undermine in the end. The many respected Nigerians who remain fervent fans of Ribadu till date understand this concept even if some of us simplistically want to paint issues black and white . Ribadu , because of his experience, is actually even more qualified to fight corruption today than anyone else . He understands , more than anyone , that the EFCC can fail due to the whims and caprices of any President who is insincere and partisan in a nation where , for now, the President remains the ultimate and almost uncheckable strong man.

The bolded section above is borne out by Dr Aliyu Tilde (below) with his arguement that is essentially same as mine in mirroring why I posit that the progressives remain behind Ribadu because they appreciate tha his achievements are virtually second to none given the environment and circumstances that obtained when Ribadu was EFCC boss.

why did not he prosecute Obasanjo in particular? How could he do so when he needed the approval of Obasanjo to prosecute any case? He was smart enough to realize the limitations of his office and the almost infinite power of the dictatorial President. He left that task to those that would come after him or perhaps, when time would be more auspicious. Unfortunately, that time was not offered him by Obasanjo's successor. Had he tried to be foolish during Obasanjo, he would have earned our applause, but the dictator would have crushed him and his EFCC, making the nation lose everything. We still have not stopped lamenting the fall of Buhari in 1984, a fact attested by our now decade long fight for his return.

Like Buhari, This record is all Ribadu has. Fortunately it has been acknowledged by many people in this country. It explains his popularity among civil society groups, the local intelligentsia and the international community."
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 2:19pm On Jan 19, 2011
Gbawe:

@ Sky Blue.

Let me preempt uneccessary debate. If your angle is the usual  "Ribadu was Partisan arguement" then I have dealth with that comprehensively already same as I told you I haven his  commented exhaustively on his record as EFCC chairman.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-585949.96.html

The bolded section above is borne out by Dr Aliyu Tilde (below) with his arguement that is essentially same as mine in mirroring why I posit that the progressives remain behind Ribadu because they appreciate tha his achievements are virtually second to none given the environment and circumstances that obtained when Ribadu was EFCC boss.

why did not he prosecute Obasanjo in particular? How could he do so when he needed the approval of Obasanjo to prosecute any case? He was smart enough to realize the limitations of his office and the almost infinite power of the dictatorial President. He left that task to those that would come after him or perhaps, when time would be more auspicious. Unfortunately, that time was not offered him by Obasanjo's successor. Had he tried to be foolish during Obasanjo, he would have earned our applause, but the dictator would have crushed him and his EFCC, making the nation lose everything. We still have not stopped lamenting the fall of Buhari in 1984, a fact attested by our now decade long fight for his return.

Like Buhari, This record is all Ribadu has. Fortunately it has been acknowledged by many people in this country. It explains his popularity among civil society groups, the local intelligentsia and the international community."

There are adequate questions (which go beyond partisanship and touch on actual competency) for you to chew on above.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 2:31pm On Jan 19, 2011

My friend , we cannot have puritanical saints involved with leadership in Nigeria at the moment because we are easily a 100 years behind some of the best democracies in the World. That is a fact that may not sit well with idealists . If Ribadu Presents the file of Bode George to OBJ and he is vetoed the option is for him to resign or carry on with the notion that "half bread is better than non" in the hope that a less compromised President , in future, will give him the leeway to do his job more effectively  . Some will say Ribadu should have resigned like Okonjo-Iweala while others will argue that the challenges are different and that Ribadu was right to carry on in a treachery-laden system with the contention that , while still in the system, he can influence the system for the better. Let us not forget that okonjo-Iweala , fantastic woman that she is and one of ribadu's admirer and staunch supporters, initially accepted her ungracious posting away from her beloved  Finance Ministry , after she had done so much for nigeria, because she "still felt compelled to serve her nation" . Infact she raised dust at her new appointment by revealing , to the embarrasment of OBJ and co, that pens, paper and basic office supplies were unavailable in testimony to rank decay. in the end they wanted her out and she obliged even as she was pained to do so.Certainly , some of the most intelligent Nigerians with the most upright character are behind this man more than anyone else . I would think that counts for an endorsement of Ribadu as a whole in recognition of the fact that , for the first time in our history, one man had a significant impact in tackling corruption, enhancing Nigeria's image and getting us declassified from many harmful lists that impact credit ratings, busines friendliness quotient, etc.

Ribadu did well in an environment where almost everyone else would have failed . After corruption had become institutionalised the onus , more or less , was on one man to reform the system. He did this well to local and international acclaim. Even an amateur knowledge of the prevailing political atmosphere at the time will make most folks understand that Ribadu did very well when OBJ probably brought in a sincere man he could use to gain kudos yet undermine in the end. The many respected Nigerians who remain fervent fans of Ribadu till date understand this concept even if some of us simplistically want to paint issues black and white . Ribadu , because of his experience, is actually even more qualified to fight corruption today than anyone else . He understands , more than anyone , that the EFCC can fail due to the whims and caprices of any President who is insincere and partisan in a nation where , for now, the President remains the ultimate and almost uncheckable strong man.

Apologies but this post of yours is low on substance and high on conjecture, heavily anchored on Nigerians taking your word (and the rest of the "well respected Nigerians" who support Ribadu of course) that Ribadu is that great, as opposed to actually creating a more wholesome arguement for your position based on evidence and substance. In one instance Ribadu is bread and butter and the very antithesis to corruption, and in the next instance you are apologising and making excuses for him not being so effective at fighting corruption to the level the nation aspires? Am I right here? Is that what you are actually doing (or attempted to do with the write up above)? If your argument for Ribadu was that he will fight corruption to a standstill even when he couldn't do it effectively (one prosecution out of how many allegations again?) while heading the EFCC then I am sorry but I you shouldn't express shock if people decide to pass on him.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 3:02pm On Jan 19, 2011
Sky Blue:

Ribadu told the country that all ex govenors during the OBJ regime apart from Donald Duke were corrupt. He alluded to having evidence to that effect. Peter Odilli had been governor of Rivers State for about eight years and it was not until he showed presidential ambition that the EFCC revealed mstartling details mabout what their investigamtions had uncovered. How come with all the noise that was made about political and general public office holders being corrupt with eveidences to prosecute them, you can only name one person who was successfully prosecuted. Does the fact that the case against Odilli (who should without a dount in my mind be in jail now) gained prominence when he showed presidential ambition and then fade away after that suggest he was doing the political dirty work of others as opposed to doing what was the best for the country? Of all the governors that public officers that Ribadu claimed to be corrupt, how many are in jail today? How c,an you so proudly shout one name and use it as passmark? If I say there are 100 high profile public officers I know that are corrupt and I only manage to prosecute one, will you shake my hand for a job well done? Do you think his records in prosecuting public officers justify the level of noise he made during his tenure? What makes Ribadu even better than Waziri, considering that I can also name one (Bode George) high profile person she had put in jail? IS success now a measure of how much media coverage you can receive as opposed to how effective and e.xpediant you are at doing your job? If Ribadu's record in prosecuting high profile public officers (which prominent people blamed on the EFCC's poorly constructed court cases), how are we then supposed to be so certain he would be able to fight corruption the way we require it?

You keep on going on and on about have you have addressed the issue of Ribadu's but you seemed to avoid a lot of sections of these so called records with surgical precision, so I am just seeking some clarification on the so called "stellar" achievements. I hope the questions I have posited to you are "specific" enough for you to address adequately.

This is why I consider debates like these long-winded . Every of your grouse is encapsulated and dealt with adequately in my many response. Go back and read what transpired back then , without bias and prejudice, and you may understand what the many progressives Nigerians , of undoubted integrity, see clearly that keep them behind Ribadu . Nigerian Governors have immunity from prosecution while in office .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity

Section 308 of the Nigerian constitution of 1999 provides immunity from court proceedings, i.e., proceedings that will compel their attendance in favour of elected executive officers, namely the President and his vice and the Governors of the states and the deputies. This immunity extends to acts done in their official capacities so that they are not responsible for acts done on behalf of the state. However, this immunity does not extend to acts done in abuse of the powers of their office of which they are liable upon the expiration of their tenure.

Ribadu stated that many Governors were corrupt and he boasted (rightly so for a corruption buster sure of his work) that they would be prosecuted by the EFCC after they no longer have immunity. How was he to predict that Yar Adua would be beholden to the most corrupt in the land ? is it not logical to note that Ribadu was undermined by the lack of continuity of good initiatives that continue to bedevil Nigeria ? What Governor can Ribadu go after if Yar Adua does not sanction it? Remind me again what one of yar Adua's first announcements was if not that the EFCC must refer to the office of the very corrupt AGF (aondoakaa ) before they prosecuted anyone !!! let us not us not begin revising history partisanly . If Ribadu boasted under OBJ's Government that Governors would be prosecuted after they lost immunity and this did not happen under Yar Adua (with the President openly interfering through the AGF to frustrate Ribadu) who can logically blame Ribadu for Ibori, Odili et al remaining out of prison?

You go on about Odili without understanding that Ribadu , once again , is perhaps driven by patriotism more than partisanship. At the stage when Odili wanted to become President by gaining the PDP ticket the prevailing sentiments of the day for good guys like Ribadu, EL Rufai et al was that those who have stolen vast sums of money do not use it to buy their way to Aso Rock so that the gains made by Nigeria will not be squandered under a corrupt Government . Ribadu , EL Rufai and others like them hoped for continuity , through working for the emergence of a President that would allow them to carry on their good work for Nigeria. That was the paramount consideration of that period and RIBADU, EL RUFAI AND OTHERS WERE DEDICATED TO WORKING TOWARDS IT with patriotic zeal. If Odili wants to become President and Ribadu knows he is a looter of public funds what do you suggest Ribadu should do , in our very imperfect democracy, to 'discourage' Odili  , if he cannot seek his outright prosecution, other than use the EFCC to ward off Odili for that period with the hope his full prosecution can come under yar Adua when Odili would no longer have immunity? If the prosecution of Odili under Yar Adua did not happen because of the very obvious persecution of Ribadu why do you blame him and not others like Yar Adua and Waziri who recieved the baton from Ribadu only to claim the dossiers on former Governors was now missing? You see why I avoid these debates? Every thing you write can be countered in the context of what had to be done given the specific challenges of the times but the past would have to be revisited robustly and copious writings presented to make the case. Anyway , you are one of those who will not be convinced to see what needs to be seen as per Ribadu. If Soyinka, Akeredolu, Gani fawehinmi, Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala , Okey Ndibe and many others proggressive Nigerians think that "the boy done good" while GEJ fans hold otherwise then I am happy to accept things as they stand.
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by Gbawe: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2011
Sky Blue:

Apologies but this post of yours is low on substance and high on conjecture, heavily anchored on Nigerians taking your word (and the rest of the "well respected Nigerians" who support Ribadu of course) that Ribadu is that great, as opposed to actually creating a more wholesome arguement for your position based on evidence and substance. In one instance Ribadu is bread and butter and the very antithesis to corruption, and in the next instance you are apologising and making excuses for him not being so effective at fighting corruption to the level the nation aspires? Am I right here? Is that what you are actually doing (or attempted to do with the write up above)? If your argument for Ribadu was that he will fight corruption to a standstill even when he couldn't do it effectively (one prosecution out of how many allegations again?) while heading the EFCC then I am sorry but I you shouldn't express shock if people decide to pass on him.

You see that my stance of not wanting to entertain your arguement , as a typical GEJ fan , is now justified ? You somehow fail to acknowledge what I write below and then you posit that I claim " Ribadu is that great, as opposed to actually creating a more wholesome arguement for your position based on evidence and substance"

Where , sincerely, do you want me to begin an assessment of Ribadu's leadership of the EFCC? Do I dedicate pages to talking about how he single-handled and successfully supervised the recruitment, training and motivation of deputies who turned out to be as driven and as dedicated as he ? Shall I review his unprecedented take down of Tafa Balogun, an IGP How about his sterling work to tackle 419 and internet fraud that saw the significant reduction of those type of crime? How about Ribadu's much unknown work and unprecedented cooperation with international crime agencies that led to a glorious period when Nigerian gained expedited assistance, training of operatives and fundings that led to never-before-seen success against money laundering and international financial crime? Can someone pray tell me what the situtation is today under Waziri and thus GEJ?

Were the many Nations who cooperated with and celebrated Ribadu , yet now reject Waziri's EFCC vehemently, doing so out of any consideration other than how they saw that Ribadu's methodical approach delivered success not seen until then? How about Ribadu's admiral record of successful prosecution against high level corruption and his There is much about Ribadu's success than is unknown and unappreciated.

When did you intend to address what was written above considering that , even if not exhaustive, it goes towards answering your incessant demand for Ribadu's achievement as EFCC boss? You are showing yourself to be no different to most GEJ fans on Nairaland with how you begin politely only to then descend into character assasination and a belligerent attempt to discredit others . Ignoring certain sections of what folks write is also par for the course - especially if they tackle issues you raise . If you then respond to what I write above one would have to wonder , if you are really sincere, why you ignored it previously considering it is as attempt to directly address issues you raise.

Now , for example , you claim I just want Nigerians to accept Ribadu because of the progressive support he enjoys. That is obvious and deliberate distortion because my point is , and remains that Ribadu is only able to still enjoy the fervent support of the most progressive minded and most objective Nigerians of undoubted integrity because , with a holisitc look at the environment back then, they can see that the the former EFCC Chariman is worth supporting ahead of others. We will all have Juries and judges in our lives at one time or the other. If Ribadu is cleared by a jury of integrity that cannot be motivated by any other consideration other than a hunger to do what is best for Nigeria then the judge (Nigerians) , at the very least, can be happy to consider their submission .
Re: NL Official Presidential Opinion Poll by SkyBlue1: 3:41pm On Jan 19, 2011
Gbawe:

This is why I consider debates like these long-winded . Every of your grouse is encapsulated and dealt with adequately in my many response. Go back and read what transpired back then , without bias and prejudice, and you may understand what the many progressives do that keep them behind this man . Nigerian Governors have immunity from prosecution while in office .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity

Ribadu stated that many Governors were corrupt and he boasted (rightly so for a corruption buster sure of his work) that they would be prosecuted by the EFCC after they no longer have immunity. How was he to predict that Yar Adua would be beholden to the most corrupt in the land ? is it not logical to note that Ribadu was undermined by the lack of continuity of good initiatives that continue to bedevil Nigeria ? What Governor can Ribadu go after if Yar Adua does not sanction it? Remind me again what one of yar Adua's first announcements was if not that the EFCC must refer to the office of the very corrupt AGF (aondoakaa ) before they prosecuted anyone !!! Not us not begin revising history partisanly . If Ribadu boasted under OBJ's Government that Governors would be prosecuted after they lost immunity and this did not happen under Yar Adua (with the President openly interfering through the AGF to frustrate Ribadu) who can logically blame Ribadu for Ibori et al remaining out of prison?

You go on about Odili without understanding that Ribadu , once again , is perhaps driven by patriotism more than partisanship. At the stage when Odili wanted to become President by gaining the PDP ticket the prevailing sentiments of the day for good guys like Ribadu, EL Rufai et al was that those who have stolen vast sums of money do not use it to buy their way to Aso Rock so that the gains made by Nigeria will not be squandered under a corrupt Government . Ribadu , EL Rufai and others like them hoped for continuity , through working for the emergence of a President that would allow them to carry on their good work for Nigeria. That was the paramount consideration of that period and RIBADU, EL RUFAI AND OTHERS WERE DEDICATED TO WORKING TOWARDS IT with patriotic zeal. IfOdili wants to become President and Ribadu knows he is a looter of public funds what do you suggest Ribadu shouls do , in our very imperfect democracy, to 'discourage' Odili  , if he cannot seek his outright prosecution, other than use the EFCC to ward off Odili for that period with the hope his full prosecution can come under yar Adua when Odili would no longer have immunity? If the prosecution of Odili under Yar Adua did not happen because of the very obvious persecution of Ribadu why do you blame him and not others like Yar Adua and Waziri who recieved the baton from Ribadu only to claim the dossiers on former Governors was now missing? You see why I avoid these debates? Every thing you write can be countered in the context of what had to be done given the specific challenges of the times but the past would have to be revisited robustly and copious writings presented to make the case. Anyway , you are one of those who will not be convinced to see what needs to be seen as per ribadu. If Soyinka, Akeredolu, Gani fawehinmi, Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala , Okey Ndibe and many others proggressive Nigerians think that "the boy done good" while GEJ fans hold otherwise then I am happy to accept things as they stand.

Just one thing, you need to drop the whole 'only progressives support Ribadu' trite, it is a tad irritating. Name dropping high profile people who support Ribadu does nothing to the issue (after all didn't Soyinka also speak favourably of Yar Adua that you now in hind sight seem to lambast?)

Now back to the good points you raised. Do you now suggest that Ribadu was pursuing Odilli (who I think we all agree is corrupt and should be in jail anyway) as a result of some patriotic zeal as opposed to doing the short term bidding of his superiors? Was Tony Annenih a govenor with immunity also or are we going to start arguing that federal ministers and other high profile public officers are also covered by immunity? You are right this could go on forever but let me just highlight some points nthat have become clear during our discourse. After all the noise making about Ribadu's high achievement (which you kept on going on about), when you were actually tackled on these said achievements you turned defensive and started making excuses for why Ribadu could not perform so well (isn't that just plain amusing?). Does that make the excuses invalid?I don't think so. Nevertheless they are excuses to alleged achievements of successfully fighting high profile corruption that actually never really materialised (you were only able to name one conviction and blamed it on immunity of governors as if it was only the office of the govenors that were alleged to be corrupt). This failure to fight corruption to the level the nation desired can be attributed to hostile conditions (which you see as the sole cause). However I think we should not ignore competency at getting the job done, and unfortunately competency does not necessarily just come with how many degrees or how much exposure you have. Dora Akunyili (say what you want about her ministerial stint) did a commendable job at NAFDAC and you can actually point to performance based evidence to show that. All in all what was left behind was an institution with some semblance of order and continuity. What EFCC did Ribadu leave behind? Nigeria more than anything needs strong institutions for longetivity and continuity in development and I can't comprehend how people can fail to see that. All I am saying is Ribadu made a lot of noise, and for the ammount of noise he made he seemed to achieve relatively little (to say the least).

It seems relatively easy to jump on the Ribadu band wagon because he has not ever led the nation and has no records to that effect (unlike Buhari and Jonathan), but how somebody with the little they know about him cannot for a second even doubt his capability for the job (based on his stint as EFCC chairman) really does shock. Tell me, if Ribadu gets into power and fails to perform what would be there to blame every single thing on then? The legislature? Or are you assuming the executive would be working in isolation and making all the calls (heck even Obama had to learn that such was not the case)? Have you ever asked yourself if Ribadu would be able to get things done (even though his record of public office doesn't really seem to show it)? If we were to go with sentiment (which believe you me I am not diminishing in anyway) then I would understand your position. But to present Ribadu as the rationally unquestionable and certain best of the pack is a tad amusing. Heck if supporting a candidate with a poor record of delivering on his job is the path to progressivism then I am willing to give it a miss. The amusing thing is I am willing to actually consider Ribadu (for reasons I can expantiate on later if you want), I am just not interested in this apparent rewritting of his so called laudable achievements which apparently need to rely on excuses as crouches when challenged.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Buhari Will Not Be President Come May 29, Says Buba Galadima / 30 Killed As ISWAP Terrorists Again Clash With Rival Boko Haram Jihadists / Appeal Court Hears Osun Governorship Case Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 232
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.