Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,602 members, 7,955,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:46 PM

Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics (44845 Views)

Atiku/Obi Introduce FIFA (VAR) Analog Into Politics At 'The Candidates' / Emir Of Ilorin Cautions Kwara Govt Against Dragging Him Into Politics / Governor Badaru: Debts, Uncompleted Projects Nearly Drove Me Out Of Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:25am On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

he studied English language in university without connection, in an English speakin country with little need for English translators

Yeah. Little need. How many Nigerians could speak English fluently in 1987? The guy is right. He could not have been unemployed for long. Even Amaechi alluded to being offered employment by NTA without asking. Read between the lines. He joined cause he wasn't employed then cause it was the next thing that came to his mind possibly due to his father being a politician too.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:28am On May 17, 2020
Exmilitant:
For those of us who know him personally, thats not his true story. cool
Of course. Tell us more pls
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:31am On May 17, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

It is the other way around. GEJ used his office to influence Amaechi losing his role as head of Governor's forum. GEJ used his influence and got Amaechi suspended from PDP. GEJ used his influence to make it hard for Amaechi to continue delivering as a Governor, including using military.

Amaechi had to leave to APC to save his political career. Even though GEJ betrayed Amaechi, everyone turned on Amaechi for betraying. I ask, who betrayed who?
Not true. His problems started with Patience in okrika.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by MondayOsunbor(m): 11:33am On May 17, 2020
serverconnect:
Till today, we cannot still solve the problems of unemployment.

see the kind of leaders we have in this country .

A man that can not find gainful employment .

he have to steal public fund to be rich .

spit!
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Exc2000: 11:36am On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Yeah. Little need. How many Nigerians could speak English fluently in 1987? The guy is right. He could not have been unemployed for long. Even Amaechi alluded to being offered employment by NTA without asking. Read between the lines. He joined cause he wasn't employed then cause it was the next thing that came to his mind possibly due to his father being a politician too.

English Litrature not English Language.. or B.Ed English Education, and if Ameachi claim he went into politics because he was poor and unemployed, I think its baseless arguing about what we don't know, i'll just have to agree with him because its his life story

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Exmilitant(m): 11:37am On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Of course. Tell us more pls
why do you wish to know the other side amaechi? It is not palatable.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Forex360(m): 11:38am On May 17, 2020
dyfaze:
All these our polithiefcians can lie for Africa.. Like giving ridiculus excuses. You graduated at that young age in 1987 and you could not get a job, oga stop lying because during that time, Nigeria Govt still value graduates a lot, at worst, Teaching job is guaranteed. Having been a Union President, I believe politics is in ur blood and You deliberately joined because your father was a politician.

U said it all
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Not true. His problems started with Patience in okrika.

Patience at Okrika incident, the destructions of Shanties and Patience insulting Amaechi live on TV, I watched it live on Silverbird TV, was not enough reason for the President to turn his back on the most influential Governor in Nigeria who was a shining light of PDP and the Niger Delta region.

The point is that, Amaechi did nothing wrong for the kind of backlash metted to him by Goodluck. Also Goodluck was the one who betrayed Amaechi by using his Federal might to destroy the progress of the State. Then removing Amaechi as head of the Governors Forum and suspending him indefinitely from the party.

Who betrayed who?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by jaxxy(m): 11:48am On May 17, 2020
Esseite:
The same unemployemnt that has pushed you into politics has pushed more to robbery, ritual, drugs, terrorism and all sorts of crimes...

How has your Government approached the issue having first hand experience of it.

I like Ameachi for 1 reason he doesn’t pretend much. He is quite real to a large extent. How many politicians can say it was unemployment that drove them into politics or quest for money or the real reasons?

I can only hope they will use the opportunity given them to solve these problems and which they also faced as once ordinary citizens and not forget so easily what it means.

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by sageb: 11:49am On May 17, 2020
The best governor Rivers state ever had. The Lion of Ubima

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by sageb: 11:52am On May 17, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Patience at Okrika incident, the destructions of Shanties and Patience insulting Amaechi live on TV, I watched it live on Silverbird TV, was not enough reason for the President to turn his back on the most influential Governor in Nigeria who was a shining light of PDP and the Niger Delta region.

The point is that, Amaechi did nothing wrong for the kind of backlash metted to him by Goodluck. Also Goodluck was the one who betrayed Amaechi by using his Federal might to destroy the progress of the State. Then removing Amaechi as head of the Governors Forum and suspending him indefinitely from the party.

Who betrayed who?
my man, i remember vividly all these, you forget to add the Soku wells conflict.

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On May 17, 2020
sageb:
my man, i remember vividly all these, you forget to add the Soku wells conflict.

Exactly. The Soku Wells incident was another avenue used by GEJ to starve Rivers State of funds, thus, reducing the States allocation.

The devious nature of GEJ was his own undoing. Sad the narrative was told as if GEJ was the victim. GEJ was the predator who tried to destroy Amaechi for no good reason but lies told by selfish betrayers of Amaechi. Sad the Rivers people ate the lies without reasoning.

I even forgot GEJ refusing to pay Amaechi money he spent on Federal roads. Just to frustrate him.

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 11:58am On May 17, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Who betrayed who?
I'm not into who betrayed who. What I'm saying is that was the turning point of their relationship. Mind you, Amaechi also acted rashly on that occasion and so did Patience. If you ask me, I'll say Amaechi should have been better behaved. On the issue of betrayal, most people tend to look at it from the angle of Amaechi being from the Niger delta turning against a president from the same region by joining outsiders to unseat him.

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:00pm On May 17, 2020
Exmilitant:
why do you wish to know the other side amaechi? It is not palatable.
Well. The news behind the news is always sweeter than the news itself. That's where the real man is unearthed.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by PHijo(m): 12:01pm On May 17, 2020
sageb:

Soko oil well was NEVER an issue, it was all propaganda. The people in Soku are Ijaw, GEJ is Ijaw, the Bayelsa governor is/was Ijaw. Amaechi's primary interest in Soku was money and not the wellbeing of Soku people. As a Rivers Ijaw man I was in support of Soku remaining in Rivers state. The case started during the tenure of late DSP Alamieyeseigha and Peter Odili. Amaechi lied when he claimed Jonathan tried to take the wells for Bayelsa. It was a struggle between Amaechi and his Bayelsa counterpart. Both wanted a greater allocation. I doubt any of them would have benefited the people of Soku.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by osamz007: 12:09pm On May 17, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Amaechi created lots of jobs as Governor of Rivers State. From agriculture through the establishment of banana plantation, cassava farm and the massive Songhai farm project. His teachers training program had thousands of teachers employed. His Timariv project employed thousands.

He sent lots of students, hundreds of them overseas on scholarship, many of them came back and got employed.

His expansion of The Promise Franchise through a Public Private Partnership created hundreds of jobs.

To mention a few.

Wow!

Then he did well.. kudos to him

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:09pm On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

English Litrature not English Language.. or B.Ed English Education, and if Ameachi claim he went into politics because he was poor and unemployed, I think its baseless arguing about what we don't know, i'll just have to agree with him because its his life story
English Studies and Literature combine honours. Not that it makes any difference in terms of being employable though.

Where did he mention being poor? Did you not read the part of the NTA interview and how he already joined politics before his employment letter reached him?

Like I said, read between the lines. At least he could have taken up the employment when it came or which political post was he already occupying in 1987 when we had a military govt in place?
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Exc2000: 12:24pm On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

English Studies and Literature combine honours. Not that it makes any difference in terms of being employable though.

Where did he mention being poor? Did you not read the part of the NTA interview and how he already joined politics before his employment letter reached him?

Like I said, read between the lines. At least he could have taken up the employment when it came or which political post was he already occupying in 1987 when we had a military govt in place?

[quote ] I didn’t join politics because I wanted to be a leader or because I wanted to solve Nigeria’s problems. I joined because of unemployment. I also believe there is a part that grace played in it.
I actually got auditioned at the Nigeria Television Authority to be a broadcaster. I recall that I walked into their office then and said I wanted to see a certain person. But the person I met asked me if I had been auditioned because I had a wonderful voice. I told him I hadn’t and he asked for me to be auditioned. However, before the employment letter came, [/quote]

if I am to comprehend this part clearly, he went to visit someone at NTA and someone loved his voice and asked him to audition which he did, but he had joined politics before any employment letter or employment came.. simply put he was jobless when he joined politics with only prospects of NTA job may or may not come

There was no silver spoon. I didn’t even know there was anything like that.

One would then have to sleep on the ‘passage’ because it was a tenement building of about 12 rooms. If one was unlucky to have slept off by 2am, that was when my father would come out with a cane and flog

this part of the passage suggest they were prolly poor, besides he had always said it in different interviews that they were so poor he had to go peep at TV from there next door neighbors
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:31pm On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

if I am to comprehend this part clearly, he went to visit someone at NTA and someone loved his voice and asked him to audition which he did, but he had joined politics before any employment letter or employment came.. simply put he was jobless when he joined politics with only prospects of NTA job may or may not come

this part of the passage suggest they were prolly poor, besides he had always said it in different interviews that they were so poor he had to go peep at TV from there next door neighbors
Good you read it yourself now. That shows you getting a job was not that difficult or do you really think anyone gives a flying Bleep about your voice texture to offer you a job out of nowhere in today's Nigeria? A federal job for that matter.

Besides, being poor while growing up does not imply being poor at that particular stage of his life when his father had already become a councillor. Or is a councillor in those times a poor man? Read between the lines bro
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Exc2000: 12:38pm On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Good you read it yourself now. That shows you getting a job was not that difficult or do you really think anyone gives a flying Bleep about your voice texture to offer you a job out of nowhere in today's Nigeria? A federal job for that matter.

Besides, being poor while growing up does not imply being poor at that particular stage of his life when his father had already become a councillor. Or is a councillor in those times a poor man? Read between the lines bro

a son of a politician could visit NTA and get asked to go for an audition based on his fathers goodwill and his voice, but that doesn't mean jobs where everywhere... yes unemployment rate wasn't as crazy as it is today, but I still remember many peoples main reason of running out of the country in the late 80s and 90s still remained poverty and unemployment especially after Babangida's SAP

and I agree with you.. his father might be a rich councilor, he could as well be a poor one, only Ameachi can tell, and since all politicians lie maybe people who know him
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On May 17, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

I'm not into who betrayed who. What I'm saying is that was the turning point of their relationship. Mind you, Amaechi also acted rashly on that occasion and so did Patience. If you ask me, I'll say Amaechi should have been better behaved. On the issue of betrayal, most people tend to look at it from the angle of Amaechi being from the Niger delta turning against a president from the same region by joining outsiders to unseat him.

I watched the Okrika incident and to the best of my knowledge, she visited. Amaechi had destroyed some shanties which he was to use for a developmental project.

Patience came to visit. It was raining and Amaechi was even holding the Umbrella for her. Keep in mind, this was the Governor of Rivers State. That was a clear show of solidarity to Patience.

Then she started warning Amaechi. I was not a fan of Amaechi then but I exclaimed, "Who does she think she is?" Being the President's wife gave her no right to point fingers and warn the Governor to take permission from people on the land before carrying out any action.

How?

She continued relentlessly. It got to a point, Amaechi closed the Umbrella, leaving the rain pouring at them and walked away.

That was no strike from Amaechi. The blows came from GEJ. All the blows were from him to destroy Amaechi. From Patience reaction, she already had a bad blood for Amaechi, probably listening to unfounded rumours.

Either way, Amaechi was without a party for over a year because he was suspended. There was nothing else to do but join the emerging force of APC.

People look at it as a Southerner removing a Southern President but the truth is that all the betrayals came from GEJ's camp, including the assault on the State House of Assembly.

Amaechi was the one betrayed by GEJ.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:42pm On May 17, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

I watched the Okrika incident and to the best of my knowledge, she visited. Amaechi had destroyed some shanties which he was to use for a developmental project.

Patience came to visit. It was raining and Amaechi was even holding the Umbrella for her. Keep in mind, this was the Governor of Rivers State. That was a clear show of solidarity to Patience.

Then she started warning Amaechi. I was not a fan of Amaechi then but I exclaimed, "Who does she think she is?" Being the President's wife gave her no right to point fingers and warn the Governor to take permission from people on the land before carrying out any action.

How?

She continued relentlessly. It got to a point, Amaechi closed the Umbrella, leaving the rain pooing at them and walked away.

That was no strike from Amaechi. The blows came from GEJ. All the blows was from him to destroy Amaechi. From Patience reaction, she already had a bad blood for Amaechi, probably listening to unfounded rumours.

Either way, Amaechi was without a party for over a year because he was suspended. There was nothing else to do but join the emerging force of APC.

People look at it as a Southerner removing a Southern President but the truth is that all the betrayals came from GEJ's camp, including the assault on the State House of Assembly.

Amaechi was the one betrayed by GEJ.
Ok if you say so

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

a son of a politician could visit NTA and get asked to go for an audition based on his fathers goodwill and his voice, but that doesn't mean jobs where everywhere... yes unemployment rate wasn't as crazy as it is today, but I still remember many peoples main reason of running out of the country in the late 80s and 90s still remained poverty and unemployment especially after Babangida's SAP

and I agree with you.. his father might be a rich councilor, he could as well be a poor one, only Ameachi can tell, and since all politicians lie maybe people who know him

Lol. A councillor's son walks into NTA and? Who really gives a Bleep about a councillor. Besides, there's nowhere it is written that he was recognised as a councillor's son during the visit. Even if it were so, it still shows that he could have gotten a job outside politics and so joined politics cause he had interest there not only because he was unemployed.
Again try to get the scenario right boss.
I like the bolded part. I suggest you apply it to the interview as a whole especially it knowing who Amaechi is

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by POMPEY1: 1:08pm On May 17, 2020
Pr0cter:
At least he has now successfully eradicated hunger from his generation

YOU'RE RIGHT, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT... HE HAS ERADICATEED POVERTY & HUNGER FROM HIS GENERATION

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by POMPEY1: 1:16pm On May 17, 2020
samuel1986:
You joined politics in the university, but unemployment made you to join politics.
So you were unemployed as an undergraduate?
Uncle you can lie oooooooooooooo.
There's God oooooooo.

As far .. we understand his message you don't need to criticized him..

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by CuteYvonne777: 1:44pm On May 17, 2020
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Seunpaul01(m): 2:14pm On May 17, 2020
Imagine.

It is not the passion to solve public problems and make it a better place. You see politics as a job and became a politician to make money.

Now you see why Nigeria would remain the same with ppl of a mindset like this.

Our Nigerian politicians need somebody to educate them that politics is not a full time job.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by seguntijan(m): 2:16pm On May 17, 2020
themonk:

Tinubu will never agree he joined politics for money or because of unemployment. He will rather say he came to be a leader blah blah blah

Tinubu resigned from Mobil for Politics for your information and the post was kept for some years for him if he didn't succeed in Politics. maybe Tinubu came into politics for fame be he had the money as Mobil Treasurer then
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Mires: 2:30pm On May 17, 2020
Exc2000:

I have heard the story countless times and no matter who is telling it Wike acted out of over ambition and greed being fooled by his new masters , The jonathans and the Odilis... a local government chairman, chief of staff, that thinks he has arrived after his oga nominated him to the higher table

Bro, you see why I said you are misinformed. How could you attribute Sir (Dr) Peter Odili to Governor Wike when the former is and remains Amaechi benefactor.

Please do well to research the role Governor Wike played before and during Amaechi's court case. After which, you can make your own judgement.
For your record, Wike as Obio Akpor Chairman same period Amaechi was Speaker Rivers state house of Assembly was in excess money. Reason being that Obio Akpor is the richest LGA out of the 23 LGAs in Rivers state and the second richest in Nigeria. Some of the stolen patrimony of Obio Akpor LGA while Governor Wike was a Chairman were actually utilized to execute Amaechi's case.

I need to stop here. I am not a supporter of any of them. Like I said earlier, make your research before coming to the public to mislead some people.
Re: Rotimi Amaechi: Unemployment Drove Me Into Politics by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 17, 2020
desiredhome:

Like him or hate him he is one of the best governor we have had in Rivers State, you will see that when you remove sentiments/hatred from your heart.....
Rome was not built in a day.....if Amachi was allowed to complete his second tenor, and the next governor to build on his blueprint Rivers State would've been finer/better than it is today...
Which blueprint?With the billions of dollars River state received , he should have transformed it to Cape Town or Johannesbug.
I went to Port Harcourt and it is nothing to write about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Report Any Nigerian Policeman Asking For Bail Money / Chinese Doctors’ Whereabouts: PDP Gives FG 48-Hour Ultimatum / Tinubu's Wikipedia Page Has Been Edited. Adekunle Added

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.