Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English (1727 Views)

Don't Have Sex With A Girl You Cannot Marry As Wife / "I Won't Marry A Man I Don't Have Sex With" - Nigerian Lady Reveals Why / "Don't Have Sex For Free This 2018" - Lagos Runs Girl Advises Ladies (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 6:33pm On May 18, 2020
In your senior year to graduate secondary school
You can drop English or maths, if you are not good at one of them

Does that mean, most people abroad are considered sluts and not considered graduates according to Nigerian standards
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by 1Sharon(f): 8:55am On May 23, 2020
Ilamina:

In your senior year to graduate secondary school
You can drop English or maths, if you are not good at one of them

Does that mean, most people abroad are considered sluts and not considered graduates according to Nigerian standards

What country
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 10:51am On May 23, 2020
1Sharon:

What country

My nigerian friend in the uk
Said she dropped maths before finals
Because she hated maths
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by ibkayee(f): 11:04am On May 23, 2020
No they're both compulsory until A-Levels

1 Like

Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by 1Sharon(f): 5:27pm On May 23, 2020
Ilamina:

Because she hated maths

What? I'm in england too, never heard of that
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by googi: 5:33pm On May 23, 2020
Those who dropped both are relegated to the lower levels of life or alternate classes.
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by ednut1(m): 5:35pm On May 23, 2020
Ilamina:

Because she hated maths
keep displaying stupidity online

Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2020
smiley
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2020
ibkayee:
No they're both compulsory until A-Levels

Do you have to do all three major sciences
Even if, you are an arts student

In Nigeria, you only have to do biology
Only science students, do biology, chemistry, physics
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
ednut1:
keep displaying stupidity online

Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by ibkayee(f): 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilamina:

Yeah you do until sixth form/college. The only subjects you can choose yourself before sixth form/college are humanities (history or geography etc) and languages.

All the other standard subjects are compulsory
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2020
ibkayee:

Yeah you do until sixth form/college. The only subjects you can choose yourself before sixth form/college are humanities (history or geography etc) and languages.

All the other standard subjects are compulsory

That means London educational system is harder

In Nigeria, you only have to do biology, if you are an arts student
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by ibkayee(f): 5:39pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilamina:

That means London educational system is harder

In Nigeria, you only have to do biology, if you are an arts student
I don’t know if it’s necessarily harder sha

We don’t really categorise students as ‘arts etc’ until sixth form/college
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 21, 2020
In Germany you have to do everything until class 10, be it Science, Art, Math, German, English, History etc. That's until secondary school.
During your A - Levels, you're then allowed to choose three majors. You also have to choose a second foreign language, that means French, Latin, Spanish etc., depending on what your school offers. Doing your A-levels is a must, if you to pursue uni, and usually takes 2 and a half years.
Also, courses you can go for in Uni aren't based on your majors during your A-Levels, but rather on your GPA.

I for example had Biology, English and German as majors and I'm now studying Business Informatics. It's the complete opposite grin
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
In Nigeria, in my school

In junior high, you do only junior high subjects

In grade 10, the first two semesters
You do all arts and sciences senoir high subjects

Then choose if you want to be an arts or science student in third semester

And you dont have to do a foreign language in my school
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 5:56pm On Jun 21, 2020
fieryy:
In Germany you have to do everything until class 10, be it Science, Art, Math, German, English, History etc. That's until secondary school.
During your A - Levels, you're then allowed to choose three majors. You also have to choose a second foreign language, that means French, Latin, Spanish etc., depending on what your school offers. Doing your A-levels is a must, if you to pursue uni, and usually takes 2 and a half years.
Also, courses you can go for in Uni aren't based on your majors during your A-Levels, but rather on your GPA.

I for example had Biology, English and German as majors and I'm now studying Business Informatics. It's the complete opposite grin

The same in Nigeria
You only do biology, if you are an arts student
You dont have to do chemistry and physics, from grade 11

The only difference, in my secondary school, we didn't have to do a foreign language to graduate
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilamina:

The same in Nigeria
You only do biology, if you are an arts student
You dont have to do chemistry and physics, from grade 11

The only difference, in my secondary school, we didn't have to do a foreign language

Yeah, but my point is every secondary student is a science student. We first had NaWi, which is a combination of biology, physics and chemistry in class 5-6. In class 7-10, it became more specific, so we had a Biology class, Physics class and Chemistry class.

The category of being a science or art student etc. doesn't really exist. You were doing everything from art(as in painting etc.), to Music, Math, History, Geography, Social Studies, English, German etc.

Even during your A-Levels, you can only drop three of the subjects you had in secondary school. I dropped physics, chemistry and music. It doesn't really matter which courses you drop, however math is compulsory and needs to be continued. It's up to you to decide on whether you want it as a major or not.
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 6:26pm On Jun 21, 2020
In Nigeria, you don't have to pass chemistry or physics

If you fail, you just be an arts student
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by VillageBus(m): 8:02pm On Jun 21, 2020
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2020
What is the difference between gsce and a levels
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by ibkayee(f): 8:21pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilamina:
GCSE's are done end of secondary school, you need them to get into Sixth form/College where you'll do A-Levels

A-Levels are higher-level qualifications, you need them to get into university (less subjects but exams are harder)
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by liberalchick(f): 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2020
fieryy:

Yeah, but my point is every secondary student is a science student. We first had NaWi, which is a combination of biology, physics and chemistry in class 5-6. In class 7-10, it became more specific, so we had a Biology class, Physics class and Chemistry Class.
The best way.

The Nigerian way is very inflexible, your career path can be locked in as early as 13, when you start senior secondary. How can a 13 year old be absolutely sure she wants a career in arts, humanities or STEM??

In the US, you get accepted into a college and not into a specific major. You spend your first two years doing everything, most don’t even declare a major till the end of their second year in college. This makes for a lot of wiggle room and opportunities to change your mind. That’s why It’s not weird for someone to major in Engineering and end up becoming a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by VillageBus(m): 8:26pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ilamina:
gsce for high school, then a-level for college.
and gsce English and maths is compulsory, but in a-level there are no compulsory subject.
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Ilamina(f): 8:36pm On Jun 21, 2020
VillageBus:
gsce for high school, then a-level for college.
and gsce English and maths is compulsory, but in a-level there are no compulsory subject.

Do you have to pass maths
To do a levels
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by VillageBus(m): 8:38pm On Jun 21, 2020
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 21, 2020
You must stay maths and English, it will take time no matter how you run from it. it is compulsory...
you definitely need English for speaking and mathematics for calculating, so you need it for working after school life..
Re: Abroad, You Don't Have To Do Maths Or English by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
liberalchick:

The best way.

The Nigerian way is very inflexible, your career path can be locked in as early as 13, when you start senior secondary. How can a 13 year old be absolutely sure she wants a career in arts, humanities or STEM??

In the US, you get accepted into a college and not into a specific major. You spend your first two years doing everything, most don’t even declare a major till the end of their second year in college. This makes for a lot of wiggle room and opportunities to change your mind. That’s why It’s not weird for someone to major in Engineering and end up becoming a lawyer.

Every system has its pros and cons. to be honest. The German one actually just started being flexible.

Class 4 kids (usually between 9 - 11 years) are assigned to 3 different kind of secondary schools based on their primary school cert.

Gymnasium is the secondary school. those with the best grades are assigned to. These are those, who'll probably later go to uni. Then there's Realschule, which is for those, who'll probably leave after secondary school. Hauptschule is for those who'll have to go for an apprenticeship after class 9. And this decision is going to be based solely on the results these kids have at such a young age.

However the newer schools, called IGS are for all students. If your grades aren't good enough though, you'd be forced to stop after class 9, 10, or 12.

You'll get your your A-Level cert after you pass your final exams, which is usually after class 13.

(1) (Reply)

She Wants To Be Left Alone In Just 3weaks Of Dating Plz Read / Can Relationship With Female Military Officer Be Productive? / ........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.