Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,371 members, 7,829,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company (1436 Views)

Is It Proper For Nigerian Guys To Toast A Lady On Social Media? / Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? / Is It Proper For My Girlfriend To Sleep In A Guys House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by manie(m): 4:25pm On Jan 17, 2011
A friend of mine lost his job in one of the troubled banks last year. The wife who is also a banker is now the bread winner of the house, for almost one year now.
The father in-law of my friend is a big time trader, business man and investor. He is a major importer of building materials, has 4 three star hotels, he owns 12 filling stations and 5 shopping complex in Lagos. The holding company of his business is in Ikeja.
The father in-law helped him to secure his banking job in 2004, when my friend wanted to marry his daughter. We both worked as teachers in the same school between 2003 and 2004.

The father in-law now decided to give him a management job in his holding company, with a pay that is 15% higher than what he last earned in the bank.

As a typical Ekiti Man, he has refused to take the job since November last year. He was giving his father-in law one excuse or the other. The man has now given him a deadline to resume by February 2011, or else he would give the job to an Indian who he would pay a lesser salary.

I told him to pick the job, and from there he should start his own plan, or start looking for another job. My friend believes he would get , but it appears the job are not coming.
What will you advice this guy to do? Should he pick the job or not.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by Dsense(m): 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2011
OP.
It depends . . . . . .
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by MrsChima(f): 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
cry cry
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by kingabdull: 4:59pm On Jan 17, 2011
i still wonder why people like to pretend in this part of the world, that makes me remember the words of Fela '' sufering and smiling'' he doesn't need anybody to advice him on this issue onless he is not part my his wifes family and he doen't love his wife.
what he need right now is a means of survival and move forward with his life. Anyway he may have his personal reason for not taking the job but i will advice him to take the Job as a trial and deside what to do later. LOL smiley cheesy
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by maclatunji: 5:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
I know how your friend feels. He thinks he would lose all respect if he took the job. However, he is losing that respect everyday by not being able to pay the bills. To cut the long story short, he should take the job. Afterall, he did not get the bank job by himself. So what is his problem? Send him to me for a thorough tongue-lashing if he fails to take the job.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by Phate07(m): 5:32pm On Jan 17, 2011
manie:

A friend of mine lost his job in one of the troubled banks last year. The wife who is also a banker is now the bread winner of the house, for almost one year now.
The father in-law of my friend is a big time trader, business man and investor. He is a major importer of building materials, has 4 three star hotels, he owns 12 filling stations and 5 shopping complex in Lagos. The holding company of his business is in Ikeja.
The father in-law helped him to secure his banking job in 2004, when my friend wanted to marry his daughter. We both worked as teachers in the same school between 2003 and 2004.

The father in-law now decided to give him a management job in his holding company, with a pay that is 15% higher than what he last earned in the bank.

As a typical Ekiti Man, he has refused to take the job since November last year. He was giving his father-in law one excuse or the other. The man has now given him a deadline to resume by February 2011, or else he would give the job to an Indian who he would pay a lesser salary.

I told him to pick the job, and from there he should start his own plan, or start looking for another job. My friend believes he would get , but it appears the job are not coming.
What will you advice this guy to do? Should he pick the job or not.

Ermm bro, is your friend the biblical Job? undecided

'Cos me don't understand why he's rejecting such a plum job.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by LordReed(m): 5:47pm On Jan 17, 2011
As long as he does his work like he should he has nothing to be ashamed of working there. Its not any easy ride this is work.
Is he dat his wife is footing the bills?
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by Dsense(m): 6:53pm On Jan 17, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

cry cry
Mrs China why crying? undecided
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by manie(m): 9:43am On Jan 18, 2011
Lord_Reed:

As long as he does his work like he should he has nothing to be ashamed of working there. Its not any easy ride this is work.
Is he dat his wife is footing the bills?

In fact his Father-in law, is still trying to help him get another job. He decided to employ him, when he could not secure another place for him.

My friend believes that if the Old man really want to help his son in law, he should loan him money to start a business. Since my friend has never run a business of his before, there is a high probability that the business may not succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by pwiz(m): 10:24am On Jan 18, 2011
Nonsense!!! Whatz da big deal? He should better accept dat job.I knw itz kinda awkward bt no choice since d wife is comfortable with it.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by lokya(f): 10:34am On Jan 18, 2011
MEN EGO AND PRIDE. IT DOESNT MAKE U LESS A MAN. HE SHOULD TAKE THE JOB AND STOP PRETENDING lol.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by afrobaby(f): 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2011
is the father-in-law paying him for doing nothing or paying him for the service(due to his level of education and expereince) he will be rendering.
Some people pretend alot, is it until the wife begin to go to her parent to beg for food or money that he will realise it is not good for a man to be jobless, let him take the job and ensure he performs his duties to his best
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by manie(m): 2:18pm On Jan 18, 2011
afrobaby:

is the father-in-law paying him for doing nothing or paying him for the service(due to his level of education and expereince) he will be rendering.
Some people pretend alot, is it until the wife begin to go to her parent to beg for food or money that he will realise it is not good for a man to be jobless, let him take the job and ensure he performs his duties to his best

The wife is working and she is now the sole bread winner of the family. I learnt she was the one that told her father to employ him. May be when his father-in law starts paying the school fees of his 3 kids he will come to his senses.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2017
Typical African men and their ego.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by Danladi7: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
Typical African men and their ego.
Which is not bad to some extent.
Re: Is It Proper To Work In Your Father In-law's Company by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:30pm On Oct 02, 2017
Danladi7:

Which is not bad to some extent.

The guy is suffering and smiling.

(1) (Reply)

I Hope This Is Not Your Girlfriend? / My Igbo Friend Im Blk American Wife Wan Divorce Am And Deport Am Also / Home Based Naija Babes Una Go Gree Be Baby Factory For A Foregn Base Bobo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.