Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62896 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by tomdon(m): 2:08am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.

You started from level 8, you're now in level 10 after6 years.
Oga you've gone no where. Even after 10 years of service you can quit

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by coolcare(m): 2:10am On May 23, 2020
I made this kind of mistake when I was single, I had every opportunity to leave but I didn't take it seriously.

Married with two kids I realized that income can not give a better life for me and my kids.

Don't made such mistake. I have friends in Federal job seeking to leave. Consider leaving because of your unborn child.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by coolcare(m): 2:13am On May 23, 2020
Don't make mistake of staying brother.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by nini007(m): 2:14am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
Run Bro, run.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Zaronxpanol(f): 2:17am On May 23, 2020
Amen! I am glad it was helpful. Thanks
Ijeleigbo:

Chai! God bless you richly for this post! Indeed you are well travelled and rich in experience!! You have said it all! Raw without mixing it up with sweetners and I have learned a lot from just this post you put up here.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by mrkhaynoni: 2:17am On May 23, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

Many years ago I was where you are now.

I took the road less traveled. I settled for a career in Nigeria.

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing an MBA.

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Do I regret not moving to the US to join my mom, a US citizen?

I do. Every. Single. Minute.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at you at 30. You're dithering. You're pussyfooting.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.

I want to leave, not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

Most crimes committed today are more out of envy and hunger than of greed.

If you can, please run. For your SAFETY!

You sir, are very wise.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by coolcare(m): 2:18am On May 23, 2020
Another thing to consider is you can still go to Canada build your career with sound education and work experience and still come back to Nigeria and make good money.

The fact is life is a journey. Canadian experience in both academic and work experience can take your to accomplish anything in the world but your Federal govt job can only give you 4flat and put the destiny of your unborn child in the had of selfish Nigeria politicians because you can never be sure may be your unborn child will graduate in Nigeria and get job.

My brother make hay when the sun shining. Moving after marriage can be more difficult ��.

Jaapaa

3 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by tfkdiamond04: 2:21am On May 23, 2020
Is better you go Canada sharp sharp. Nigeria has no plan for you poo. If your opportunity of going to Canada is pure and genuine. My brother, go their jeje oooo. No stay Naija oooo
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 2:24am On May 23, 2020
sircatherine45:

go for AI, cloud, IoT and blockchain

big money there, bro
Thanks, what are the skills or programming language needed
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by DexterousOne(m): 2:54am On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

They would be here for long. Once buhari is done ruling el rufai is next. By the time the north is done with Nigeria, the country would be a cesspool of poverty and hopelessness. We are even enjoying now. Future Nigeria is better imagined than lived through. It's the present Nigerian children born in Nigeria I really pity. They go hear am.

We 90s kids are way poorer than our parents. It's abnormal. Skyrocketing unemployment. It's not uncommon to see people living with their parents up to their 30s. Op is 30 and earns a paltry 80k. His salary saved up for a year can't even get a good car. Is that life? My dad got married at 28 and was working with a good salary in the bank with just wassce. Such is not even possible in Nigeria today. The country is retrogressing everyday.

Well said
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by DexterousOne(m): 3:00am On May 23, 2020
jojoseph:
listen very well and listen, take this advise from someone that spent 35years plus in U.S. I will advise you to stay put and plan you life very in Nigeria.
In about 25 to 30 years from now, your siblings will regret their actions including all those Nigerians that ran away from Nigeria.
Most Nigerians in these countries will die poor, it is not a curse, it's just the reality. 80% of Americans live from pay check to pay check. Google it. It means you're one pay check from being homeless.
The system that these white set up, is Notting but slavery system. You will serve them until you die and your children will continue to serve them until they die too.Generation over generation.
The average black man lacks capacity for deep thinking or logical thinking. We are selling ourselves into slavery and don't know it.I really feel sorry for a lot Nigerians because most of them don't know what is going on in these foreign countries.
I know about 10 of my colleagues that have passed away they die poor including a professor. It's not their fault, it's the system but most africans are ignorant of this system.
How many of the Nigeria billionaires that you know that brought their wealth from U.S. or Canada or London. None, they all made their money in Nigeria.
I'm happy i relocated back to Nigeria with my American wife and we are doing fine and we contributing our quoter to the development of Nigeria. You probably will not appreciate my advice now maybe 20 or 30years from now you will to appreciate it.

What are you talking about sir?

It all boils down to the individual

One who had no plan for his life in Nigeria will not be successful abroad.....

And the curse of being a Nigerian is that most Nigerians will not be rich, whether they stay at home or abroad...

Their fates are already sealed....

So for many many Nigerians
Its living a "normal" life in Nigeria VS a normal life abroad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by DexterousOne(m): 3:04am On May 23, 2020
RaptorX:
Canada is overrated, forget all the fanciful stories you have heard from people that have never been outside Nigeria before. You can never get rich in Canada but if what you want out of life is good roads and steady electricity but scooped up indoors for 9 to 10 months of the year suffering from depression due to lack of vitamin D then Canada might be good for you.

You think all there is to life is the accumulation of money?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Olominira(m): 3:07am On May 23, 2020
oka4ugoo:
You can do both bro. Pursue another federal job bro, secure the job, at least collect two or three months salaries before u migrate bro. But before u migrate bro, do not resign from the job, I repeat do not resign, just drop them a letter that you dey go for medical treatment abroad by that way 3 or 4 more months salaries fit drop before their eyes go clear. Nigeria na scam, so if you fit scam Nigeria scam the useless country.
You're a typical example why the nation is struggling. You're a bad example and still advising others to follow
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:08am On May 23, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

Many years ago I was where you are now.

I took the road less traveled. I settled for a career in Nigeria.

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing an MBA.

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Do I regret not moving to the US to join my mom, a US citizen?

I do. Every. Single. Minute.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.
Quite insightful. Thank you for your honest opinion. It will help a great deal in forming my decision. God bless you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 3:10am On May 23, 2020
Millennialaku:

shocked shocked shocked
seeking career guide at final year

what have you been doing, any way better late than never.
When you can't write one java line, no path to career. You know this after graduation in Nigeria.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:27am On May 23, 2020
PoliticallyInco:

Move to Canada. In my humble opinion.
Biko.
That your level 12 salary could be a week's pay in Canada. The beginning will be rough. But you are a Nigerian. You are dogged. Go there have a plan. Get a goal. Take actions to chase it based on the Canadian environment. Ordinary DoorDash or Point Pickup in the US for example gives you 100 Dollars per day. Per day. Almost 40k per day. (Don't know what the exchange rate is as I type this).
Thanks for your kind contribution. If I leave, I intend to pursue a new degree and subsequently a professional career in public health or ICT. Although my master degree is in environmental and marine pollution management and my current job description is administrative in nature. My siblings are really supportive and they are quite successful. One is a lecturer in Winnipeg, one an engineer in Ontario and so on. Settling down over there should not be a problem.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by jojoseph(m): 3:28am On May 23, 2020
[qu
ote author=Okikiola7134 post=89852204] undecided[/quote]
Listen very well, this advise is coming from someone that have spent 35 years before relocating back to Nigeria. I will advise you to stay put and plan you life very in Nigeria.
You can't get rich in this foreign countries because of the system the white set up over there. But most black people lack capacity for logical thinking. They cannot see through this system.
Most of these Nigerians will die poor in these foreign countries, 80% of Americans live pay check to pay check. Google it.
If you really want to know what's going on in these foreign countries ask Nigerian that have live in U.S. or Canada for over 20years or more. These are the categories of people that can really give you the through picture of America or Canada.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:30am On May 23, 2020
MrHighSea:
Enyia or Egbon or Aboki,
Tomorrow morning call your brothers and tell them,
"Canada is calling".
Village people can't succeed.
grin Thank you Sir
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:34am On May 23, 2020
Ikjosh04:
Hi TallNigerian, i suggest you move to Canada besides the many opportunities and sane society Canada have above Nigeria. You also have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens who should help your transition to Canada very swiftly. You should get settled in, in less than 3 months and before 6 months you should be living your dream life including career wise.
I sent you a pm, kindly reply.
Thank you. I'll mail you later in the morning.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by LetHraven: 3:36am On May 23, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

the reason why i don't save on git is because most Nigerians are not patient , they give you a project by 1am and expect it to be ready before 12pm, so i skip a lot of things

Hello softplace, can I learn your skill please?

Are you in lagos please and how can I contact you?

I need to learn soft skill to pick up my life again.

Thanks.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:36am On May 23, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

the reason why i don't save on git is because most Nigerians are not patient , they give you a project by 1am and expect it to be ready before 12pm, so i skip a lot of things
thank you
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:37am On May 23, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Canada, Canada my friend, Canada!
your moniker grin
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by jojoseph(m): 3:37am On May 23, 2020
RaptorX:
Canada is overrated, forget all the fanciful stories you have heard from people that have never been outside Nigeria before. You can never get rich in Canada but if what you want out of life is good roads and steady electricity but scooped up indoors for 9 to 10 months of the year suffering from depression due to lack of vitamin D then Canada might be good for you.

I agreed with you 100%. Most Nigerians don't know what is going on in these foreign countries. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by planetx: 3:38am On May 23, 2020
DexterousOne:

You think all there is to life is the accumulation of money?
If it is not accumulation of money so tell me what it is. Or maybe it is acquiring a fake American or Canadian accent after twenty years to come and show off in Nigeria when your mates are now governors, senators , MD of companies . Keep consoling yourself that life is not about accumulation of money but about good roads and steady electricity lol.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:38am On May 23, 2020
directonpc:
Can you take me?
Would have loved to. I'm sure doors will open for you too by God's grace.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by pooozeee(m): 3:38am On May 23, 2020
Federal job entry level is 120k
You can earn as much as 450k when you move to Canada
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:38am On May 23, 2020
olayincar:
Bro...abeg leave this country jor
Canada all the way
thank you

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by DexterousOne(m): 3:39am On May 23, 2020
planetx:
If it is not accumulation of money so tell me what it is. Or maybe it is acquiring a fake American or Canadian accent after twenty years to come and show off in Nigeria when your mates are now governors, senators , MD of companies

SMH
So this is all you could come up with...
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:42am On May 23, 2020
oka4ugoo:
You can do both bro. Pursue another federal job bro, secure the job, at least collect two or three months salaries before u migrate bro. But before u migrate bro, do not resign from the job, I repeat do not resign, just drop them a letter that you dey go for medical treatment abroad by that way 3 or 4 more months salaries fit drop before their eyes go clear. Nigeria na scam, so if you fit scam Nigeria scam the useless country.
hahaha. You got me laughing really hard. Thanks for your submission bro.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by salford1: 3:44am On May 23, 2020
Ibime:

A week? More like half a days salary for a professional.

I believe most of these "should I stay or go" posts are just trolling.
The maths in me did a quick calculation cheesy

For a professional to earn 80,000 naira in Canada in half a day (4hours), you will have to earn around $140,000 a year which will comfortably place that person in the top 5 percent earners in Canada - Not an easy feat. That is more like a manager/directors wage in a top organization, or a tech/engineer/tradesperson putting in extra hours/ or with decades of experience. OP seems to be in his early career. Not many professionals will earn that amount or get anywhere near that figure. In addition, around 39% of that money will be deductions at source. Then you would have expenses and bills to deal with, so we can't easily compare wages. E.g. rent alone could be as high as $1500 a month and monthly mortgage as high as $2500 for moderate living.

It may be hard to become rich in a developed country, but one would certainly have peace of mind and a high standard of living. For this paragraph alone, op should move. Everything is not about money. He should listen to his family members in Canada.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by TallNigerian: 3:44am On May 23, 2020
Anthony0094:
if all these people they shot because of lockdown are in canada they will be alive today, and that is alive and have the chance to leave here is asking weather u have to,

my brother RUN
hmmm. Thanks bro
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Ripakurshon: 3:48am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

Bro, I Reside in Canada and Let’s be Frank Here, I think you should move to Canada, it will be Rough from the Start but you having 4 brothers here is a Plus for you. Secondly Here in Canada, Your Certificates or Master Degree won’t matter, You will have to start again from another Point, you can get some Certificates here to Get something close to what you Learn. Skilled Training is Everywhere and Skilled work is Everywhere. We Nigerians pay too much attention to Bsc and MBA Lol, but here,Skill works pay more too, so if you can Learn a skill before heading out here. Like I said, Canada is Good but it will be Rough for a year , 2 or 3, but you can get through it, it’s even better that you are not married nor have kid(s) yet, so I think you should move, don’t Expect too much but be Hopefully and prepare to work your Socks off. Thirdly, Hug Every Family and Friends that you have in Nigeria, Shak Beer and Eat the real Pepper Soup o my Brother, because when you get here you will be Bored and miss your friends back home. You will make new friends here though but Boredom go still wipe you Lol and be Ready for Winter. But Really Move

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply)

8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / How To Become A Pilot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.