Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,281 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (62810 Views)

Federal Job Or Private Job / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by peeps4u: 5:09am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Thank you. If I'm consider the option of leaving, I'll be using the express entry route. I only need to prepare for and ace IELTS as other factors such as age, work experience, academic qualification and having siblings who are canadian citizens put me at advantage. Precise, my family has a good migration history in canada. Even other families use our assistance to migrate. Actually, I'm considering that option because of my unborn children. I know training children with a salary of less than 100k in Nigeria can be herculian. My siblings told me their kids enjoy free education in canada.

Moooooove.
Your family are in the best position to tell you the situations in Canada. They are settled there already.

One May not live a flamboyant life abroad as in Nigeria, but there is quality life there and you can always come to Nigeria to live a loud life you want, no thanks to our devalued Naira.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by peeps4u: 5:14am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
huh? Bros, this your post first resemble advise, later e come resemble curse again. grin I no dey any relationship presently. Is it that difficult to get a good woman over there?

Ask your siblings about this also. It is as important as career.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 5:24am On May 23, 2020
sisisioge:
I'm not gonna read...just leave for Canada biko. Federal job ke!
lol so blunt
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by bisiswag(f): 5:28am On May 23, 2020
Bonjovi13:

If insecurity and crime is the main reason why you are leaving Nigeria then you need to have your priorities reordered.

Although the crime rate in Canada is relatively lower than what you have in the US.It is quite high.(See https://www.statista.com/topics/2814/crime-in-canada/
Also due to the accessibility of guns and ammunition in the developed countries,you are more likely to be involved in a gun related crime more than in Nigeria.

Radicals and mentally unhinged individuals with access to weapon abounds in the developed countries and even children in schools are not safe from their onslaught.

Should we talk about the system in most developed countries that only ensures that you live relatively ok but makes sure that you are confined to your income bracket.Once you lose your job for any reason you are sure to loose your health insurance,car payments,mortgage payment etc are threatened. You cant afford healthcare without insurance.Just to expensive. You could also end up being homeless. Just google about the high rate of homelessness in most developed cities.

The system doesn't show mercy. Tax is high.You will work your self to the bone to survive. Most people abroad are one paycheck away from bankruptcy.

Listen man.Those days when traveling abroad was a ticket to the easy life of bliss are gone.Ask people who live there the hard questions.They would tell you.

Envy is everywhere.Racism is real and the effects are felt only in the civilized countries.An immigrant is seen as a third class citizen.A Nigerian immigrant is worse.You have to do more than the rest to prove your self.It takes a toll.

My take.Nigeria offers so much if you think outside the box. There has been poor people since independence. Always would be.Even if you have money you can be fine.Live close to people who have money.Pay for gated communities with adequate security. Limit your friends and associates. Keep your own company.Stop showing off.
Live well but smart. Under the radar.Be security conscious. Don't go clubbing late in the night. Dont keep late nights.Pay for good schools with security for your children.If possible.Drive yourself.Limit house boys and girls.Domestic staffs generally. You and wifey help out.

Nigeria is great.With God you can live a very good life here.The support system is great.You can be wealthy in Nigeria and still enjoy your wealth.
Travel for holiday and come back.Its not all gloomy.Depends on the shades you are wearing
Quoting just 4 keepsakes & future ref. But thinking really hard about it,Naija has too much random crimes for which one can never ever get justice. Support,yes but honestly the system to me seems more broken than overseas. So I think you gotta slow your roll on this one

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by mariemummy(f): 5:29am On May 23, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

Many years ago I was where you are now.

I took the road less traveled. I settled for a career in Nigeria.

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On education, I got chartered, and I'm finishing an MBA.

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Do I regret not moving to the US to join my mom, a US citizen?

I do. Every. Single. Minute.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at you at 30. You're dithering. You're pussyfooting.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.

I want to leave, not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

Most crimes committed today are more out of envy and hunger than of greed.

If you can, please run. For your SAFETY!

If only I can like your comment a million time. OP, listen to him. If you have the opportunity now, flee. I am in the same system as you. Flee.
God be with you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by mcknowles: 5:33am On May 23, 2020
You see this as a challenge because you have options, lucky you.
Please before you regret.
Migrate now.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by jfcampbell81: 5:36am On May 23, 2020
Please what's your company's website

TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

Your honest inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by soleexx(m): 5:55am On May 23, 2020
Kenplay:

Sir, what area of Tech are you. Am asking because am a final year student Statistics/Computer science and would need a career guide from you.

What's Your digital Skills?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by soleexx(m): 6:01am On May 23, 2020
softplace:

see nigerians love to take advantage of people, one thing you must alwasy do is stick to your price

i charge up to 1m for app and up to 500k for websites, and i maintain my price if they like they come back if they like they dont

but by Gods Grace they always come back

Full stack?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sharpwriter(m): 6:09am On May 23, 2020
westerk:
For me the guys choice should be easy to make , that is to move to Canada, he's still quite young. I'm also. In d same dilemma unfortunately I'll be 40 this year work a federal establishment . Annual salary after tax over 12m . It's a ministry that will continue to exist as long as nigeria exists so job security is 100% even if d country is shut down for 6 months d ministry where I work will continue to pay complete salary without shaking. But I'm fed up with nigeria , u wake up and here how people still billions and u know perfectly well they won't be prosecuted, u hear how poor villagers are massacred in their sleep and u know perfectly well that no one will ever be prosecuted for the killings, you see nepotism in high places and u know that it will never end in nigeria. As we draw closer to 2023 again d whole country will be set on edge again over which region d president should come from. The cycle of uncertainty just continues. But the thought of starting all over again in canada can still be scary. So a lot of us are in the guys shoes. My prayer is that God continued to direct our steps.

Egbon, please what are the prospects of having opportunity to work in this ministry where you are sir? Can you help please? Or should I use the dm?

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by fulfilled2016: 6:15am On May 23, 2020
squad1:
Hey Bro move. If u are in doubt, apply for study without pay (you can get up to 2 or 3 years) then come back if you are not contented. But I believe going there will worth it than staying here.

May I ask what "study without pay" is?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by MesoDguy(m): 6:26am On May 23, 2020
This guy still dy ask questions �, Oga leave this country jor.. you’ll probably regret it later if you don’t.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by ikorodureporta: 6:27am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
huh? Bros, this your post first resemble advise, later e come resemble curse again. grin I no dey any relationship presently. Is it that difficult to get a good woman over there?
Loneliness no b small there...no b like here wey you fit flip different babes per day.. unless you sabi church things .... Even with that, it's difficult to get yr choice.. you may just pick d one you never had interest in

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by soleexx(m): 6:30am On May 23, 2020
jubrilELsudan:
AFTER YOU FOLLOW THE MENTALITY ADVISE OF TYPICAL NIGERIANS WHO ARE BRAINWASHED TO BELIEVE CANADA IS THE PROMISE LAND, YOU WILL COME BACK HERE TO NAIRALAND 10YEARS LATER TO LAMENT HOW YOU MADE A BIG MASTAKE RESIGNING YOUR MINISTRY JOB AND MOVING TO CANADA TO BE A SLAVE.

AFTER YOU HAVE SPENT 10 YEARS IN CANADA, YOU WILL FEEL ON TOP OF THE WORLD BECAUSE YOU MANAGE TO BUY YOUR HOUSE ON MORTGAGE AND BUY YOUR CHOICE CAR ON MONTLY CAR FINANCE, YOU HAVE BECOME A CANADIAN CITIZEN, THEN YOU TRAVEL BACK TO NIGERIA FOR HOLIDAYS FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF DOING SHAKARA TO YOUR FORMER COLLEAGUES ONLY FOR YOU TO DISCOVER THAT YOUR JUNIORS THEN WHO WERE UNDER YOU ARE NOW DIRECTORS. YOUR MATES INCLUDING YOUR JUNIORS AND MESSENGERS OWN NUMEROUS CHOICE PROPERTIES INCLUDING THERE IN YOUR ALMIGHTY CANADA AND THEY PAID CASH FOR THE PROPERTIES THANKS TO THE DEALS AND RUNS AND GHANA MUST GO SHARING THAT USUALLY GOES DOWN IN THE CIVIL SERVICE.

ALL THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW IN CANADA, ASK THEM HOW MANY HOUSES THEY GOT AND IF ITS PAID FOR.

ASK THEM IF THEY CAN SURVIVE AND PAY THEIR BILLS AND MANTAIN THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE WITHOUT WORKING FOR 1MONTH.

ASK THEM IF THEY ARE SURVIVING THIS CORONA PERIOD WITHOUT DEPENDING ON THE GIVEAWAY JUSTIN AND HIS GOVERNMENT ARE DOING.

ASK THEM IF THEY CAN COMFORTABLY BUY ALL THE GROCERIES THEY CRAVE WITHOUT USING THEIR CREDIT CARDS.

ASK THEM TO SEND YOU JUST $100.

YOU NIGERIANS THINK LIFE IS VERY EASY IN CANADA.

THIS CORONA SEASON IN NIGERIA, YOU CAN AFFORD TO EAT WHAT YOU CRAVE AND PAY FOR IT WITH YOUR OWN MONEY.

YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR KUKUNASE IF IT HUNGRY YOU.

THERE IS NOTHING IN CANADA.

YOU CAN NEVER BECOME RICH IN CANADA.

YOU WILL WORK LIKE A SLAVE.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by lagosrd: 6:31am On May 23, 2020
NDakota:
The career dilemma...

I got a job in a Big 4. Then moved on to an FMCG, where the perks are much higher!

On family, I got married to my best friend from University, and I just made my first baby.

Why? Nigeria is a very uncertain place to stay and thrive. You could be up there in the sky today and the next week you're back on the mud. In a country of many poor people, you run the risk of becoming a victim of crime due to envy...post COVID-19 it'll get worse.

Look at me at 28. I still regret the mistake my 25 year old self made. I'm pushing daily to leave Nigeria.

I want to leave, not because I'm broke in Nigeria, but the collective poverty in this country scares me...

The irony is that people still encourage others to stay put and die together .
Celebrate uncertainty together in hope . In a mediocre governed country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sharpwriter(m): 6:32am On May 23, 2020
Denique:

OP, kindly sell your spot to me if you ain't using it yet. God bless you for your understanding!
Sharp babe... grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Centcanada: 6:32am On May 23, 2020
O boy run commot for this country ooo. I beg you in the name of God.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by amanikondo: 6:38am On May 23, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i would be 27 this year sha

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

the reason why i don't save on git is because most Nigerians are not patient , they give you a project by 1am and expect it to be ready before 12pm, so i skip a lot of things

Are you a programmer or DevOps? I may have opportunities for you.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by highskies(m): 6:39am On May 23, 2020
Bros, God will make a way for you to achieve it. You are so honest and you have given the OP everything He needs.

NDakota:
The career dilemma...

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by deenee: 6:39am On May 23, 2020
[quote author=studentofTruth post=89856947]

I can relate to what you have just said, especially the poverty-induced envy and jealousy. Presently, I live in fears. Since the people around me learned what I earn from my young online business, it's has been about bitterness- and jealousy-induced calumny. I just realized that living among lazy poor people is the most dangerous thing in this world.

I wonder how Linda Ikeji and Instablog coped in their early days.

@Op, with the kind of link you have to Canada, I really wonder what you're doing in Nigeria thinking of federal job — not as if you're even thinking of business. Canada straight![/quote

Envy induced crime is everywhere including Canada and US. The best way to prevent this is keep your business dealings secret and apply same to your financial affairs. Also learn to move within circle of friends that are on the same pedestal with you.

On a flip side we Nigerians are used to showing off when when we are just on the verge of arrival
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by EDGEof2MORO: 6:51am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

I will be 30 years in a few months and I have never felt so much unease as I do right now. I work with one of the federal parastatals and I am currently on level 10 going to 12 next year. I have a Master degree athough it is not exactly relevant to my current job.

The problem is that my organisation uses the Ministry salary structure and my monthly net is below 80k even as a level 10 staff.

I am not married and I am academically inclined. Asides having a Master degree, I have over 8 professional certifications.

I have been trying to clinch a transfer of service to a better parastatal where the remuneration is better and where my knowledge/experiences as a science graduate will be better appreciated but it has been a bit difficult.

However, just before the COVID-19 episode in Nigeria, I got the right link for a transfer of service to a better parastatal but the process got stalled with the COVID-19 palaver.

I have 4 siblings who are Canadian citizens and they have been on my neck to migrate. I never took the calls seriously until this lockdown period. My siblings are arguing about the uncertainty of the Nigerian economy post-covid and advising me to seize this opportunity to migrate and start a new career over there?

My question therefore, "is it wise to stay back since I have gone quite far in my public service career and just wait for the opportunity to transfer my service to a better paying federal parastatal OR do I migrate to Canada and start a new career?

@CrazyMan @1forall Please I need your help in pushing this forward for a wider view. Thank you.

You should do both! Leave no stones unturned

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Dangrace01: 6:53am On May 23, 2020
Onlyonebuhari:
Let me tell u the simple truth, I export Yam and kola nut. The money I get from it I can't get it from Canada or the US. Let me tell u the real truth....I apply for credentialing in Canada and they have been disturbing since Monday that am qualified, they will issue work permit and Visa but I don't need it.

I'm interested in this.
How do one reach you. Where you qualified because of your export business
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by CirocBoi(m): 6:59am On May 23, 2020
softplace:
believe me as a tech person doing well in Nigeria, i still want to move abroad and just in a dilemma

if i should stay or go

By God grace i earn between #300 to #500k in a month but still feel i should move

i almost had a job in canada but lost it because i dont save my projects on git that was what the company asked me but didnt have it to prove i did them

the reason why i don't save on git is because most Nigerians are not patient , they give you a project by 1am and expect it to be ready before 12pm, so i skip a lot of things

Are you a Penetration Tester?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by eagleonearth(m): 7:01am On May 23, 2020
oka4ugoo:
You can do both bro. Pursue another federal job bro, secure the job, at least collect two or three months salaries before u migrate bro. But before u migrate bro, do not resign from the job, I repeat do not resign, just drop them a letter that you dey go for medical treatment abroad by that way 3 or 4 more months salaries fit drop before their eyes go clear. Nigeria na scam, so if you fit scam Nigeria scam the useless country.
this sort of lie normally backfire simply because you're looking for a paltry sum. It becomes the case of a man carrying a big elephant on his head and trying to also take with him a little insect like animal with his leg. This is the fraudsters' (Yahoo boys) anthem that is destroying their tomorrow. Because you were scammed, you will turn a scammer. Quit that thinking pattern ASAP for your own good. If he lies that he's going for medical treatment and later in life that ailment starts threatening his wellbeing nko? Have you not seen or heard about that before?

1 Like

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by jonel044: 7:01am On May 23, 2020
Pls if u don't wona go give me the link let me go on your behalf.
No let ur village ppl succeed oooo, biko jakpa mbok
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by fafambo: 7:06am On May 23, 2020
softplace:

if i should stay or go

pls what type of tech programme are u into,I want to trade that part .I'm serious about this
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Jonathan39: 7:08am On May 23, 2020
Good morning. I am a graduate of computer science, I will be rounding up with my NYSC 28th of this month, I am into tech, I will like to chat with you. Thanks
softplace:

if i should stay or go

Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by sulaak(m): 7:11am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
Hello Nairalanders,

Migrate, you can do more for yourself and Nigeria if you live and experience an advance society. The culture change and dynamic will make you a better person.
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by tomdon(m): 7:15am On May 23, 2020
datola:
This that every one is leaving for Canada. Who will now remain to fix Nigeria

Most of you people just like to reap from where you did not sow.

And you are not going to the Canada to solve any problem for humanity but just to get 'good employment' and now pray that Nigeria catches fire and averyone remaining there should go to hell.

For those of you badmouthing Nigeria. Remember 'ajo Ko le da bi ile' (Other people's country can never be.like your own country)

By God's grace Nigeria shall be great again in my life time.

Oga no be by prayer
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by tomdon(m): 7:16am On May 23, 2020
Jack500:
See this Op o, u are just in level 10 and u are saying u have gone far, even those in level 14 are porting, level 10 that is the entry level for professionals like pharmacist etc, na there u say u gone far with 80k salary?

U are not yet serious, move as fast as possible if u have the legal means or u will live to regret it forever(now this is not a threat, but a warning)

Peace.

Exactly
Person wey just de start
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 7:18am On May 23, 2020
softplace:

if i should stay or go

hi bro please can i hv audience with you?
Re: Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? by Nobody: 7:19am On May 23, 2020
TallNigerian:
really? What will make it genuine? Posting my picture or my appointment letter or perhaps my work ID to prove I am a public servant? Or post screenshots of my conversations with my siblings to validate the thread? Anyway, it's your opinion and thanks for contributing still.
You can do whatever you want. Stop asking dumb questions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply)

I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear / Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.