Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31815 Views)

Strike: What Is Going On In AAU? - Omawunmi Asks / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Sights From The University Of Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by boyjo: 10:01pm On Jun 01, 2020
Rafoski:
It's *thread not "trend". smiley

I don't know who started the nonsense.
Almost everybody just carry am for head as if e correct.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by boyjo: 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
Catalyst001:

Thannk u later or swear for u later wink
Na swear for am later.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by boyjo: 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
Rafoski:
Let me add, your 5-year tuition fee in one business would crash easily because you don't know the business. Every big thing starts small. Don't make the mistake of going all in with your stakes in the business game especially if you're starting. It's good to burn your bridges and be aggressive towards achieving your goals but it's good to have that reserve money for second trial.

May Eddykul understand what you have written.
Business no be moi moi o
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 10:13pm On Jun 01, 2020
boyjo:

May Eddykul understand what you have written.
Business no be moi moi o
Business no be moi moi, na true o. Especially if you wan really stand out.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by boyjo: 10:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
Rafoski:

Business no be moi moi, na true o. Especially if you wan really stand out.
Even for those wey no care about standing out, e no be moi moi.

Some people dey do Import-Export, see as Covid-19 block Aeroplane movement.
You know how many people dey worry? You no how many people money dey tied down?
During Covid 19, For April, you know see wetin happen to bus drivers? None of them do business for almost 3 weeks o.

Who no get savings that time, na God o.
Business no be moi moi o

Have a job and have a business.
Hey the two for hand.
Na my own advice be that.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 10:28pm On Jun 01, 2020
boyjo:

Even for those wey no care about standing out, e no be moi moi.

Some people dey do Import-Export, see as Covid-19 block Aeroplane movement.
You know how many people dey worry? You no how many people money dey tied down?
During Covid 19, For April, you know see wetin happen to bus drivers? None of them do business for almost 3 weeks o.

Who no get savings that time, na God o.
Business no be moi moi o

Have a job and have a business.
Hey the two for hand.
Na my own advice be that.

No be lie you talk. One income stream fit no gather better money and e fit fail at anytime. Your advice go well.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Halo22: 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
To be frank, education is very good as it will expose you to the real sense of values in life. But if I will advise, you should think it in two ways cos things if life don't work as planned sometimes. First, if u are sure of job after school then you better go for studying now. But if u are not sure, I suggest you should better collect all the tuition and other fees involved once, if necessary and establish a business and then train yourself from the profit u make. Secondly, if u must go to school now, ensure you are going to study a self-employable course so u can stand on ur own even if job doesn't come after graduation. Wish u luck.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Kenneth10110(m): 11:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin

Can you give your kid this advice?

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Makanaki127: 11:15pm On Jun 01, 2020
ODJ123:
op going to school is worth it ooo.
let no one Deceive you.
it gives you an ego,and this feel I can't explain.
maybe whenever people start looking down on you
you will understand better..
Which kind yeye ego he day give u,shey na money he be ni? See na money day give person ego no be certificate,who your certificate and ur skul Help.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Hendobox: 12:16am On Jun 02, 2020
Education is power. If your parents give you the money, you could get a laptop with good data connection. Take a couple of professional courses on sites like udemy.com or coursera.org to build skills related to that business and get educated while doing it. The good thing is that they offer certifications that are recognized globally at least you have something to show for your credentials if it ever boils down to that. If you commit to these courses you will be a master in that field within 2 years. That's like half of the time you would've spent in the university only to for you to join the line of unemployment or even start learning something else from scratch.

PS: I don't mean going to the university is a bad decision or a one-way ticket to unemployment. Just giving my recommendation based on the situation
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by KayCee92(m): 12:32am On Jun 02, 2020
Here is my answer. I have gone to school, given the chance to either pick whether I like to do it again--- I will happily join the ride. School goes beyond class rooms, writing exams and getting certified grin

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by AFONJACOW(m): 3:38am On Jun 02, 2020
Honestly is a waste in current dispensations
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Obitama: 3:47am On Jun 02, 2020
OK o....
All the Best
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Godwin5766(m): 3:48am On Jun 02, 2020
[quote author=ProfAmaben post=90194660]Very good question. First of all, you have to understand what a university is. A university is a place where you attain a higher level of education through research and course work relevant to your discipline.

Acquiring University education prepares you better for life's challenges and makes it way easier for you to Integrate in any environment, those in the hostels would agree with me on this.

Secondly, a university is bascally an environment for education, which grants the pursuer of knowledge the requisite knowledge of what he seems to attain.

Thirdly, a university grows your social and future business network as so many have gotten employment through their former university friends and colleagues.

Fourthly, a university opens doors for intelligent and dogged students. There are so many jobs you can't get without being a graduate but there's no job that you can't get being a graduate sir is it true dat HND is about to be scrapped in nigeria
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by galantjoe(m): 5:21am On Jun 02, 2020
What can you get from meeting of professors when this kind of question is thrown in the floor of the house.

My advice for op is to forget university education for now. Collect your school fees and other money supposedly used to train in school and use same to start a cool business, by the time ur colleagues in uni are graduating and passing out from nysc. You have already tens of millions profit. You will employ them, use their knowledge and pay them peanut as salary.

You can after establishing your business to certain level go back to university or enroll in a correspondent course and acquire your degree as well.

That is my own take. Am planning this strategy for my first son. I just saving his settlement money to be used to support him after learning trade at onitsha.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Anthrophile(m): 5:28am On Jun 02, 2020
A university education or its equivalent is a very important part of a person's entity. Money cannot replace sound education. The problem in this part of the world is that many equate education with good income.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Hisduchess(f): 6:04am On Jun 02, 2020
Lordjiggs09:
one question that is worth discussing.

Meanwhile:

I bu Onye Igbo, lee anya na signature mu maka ozi di oke mkpa.

Your Igbo language writing di sam.jisie Ike nwanne

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Bigdiddo(m): 8:51am On Jun 02, 2020
U can start a business and still loose all the money. U can go to school and still not get employed. From experience I will advice u to find something u know u can be doing that will fetch you money in school. E.g being a barber, a music producer or any lucrative service rendering biz that u know suits u best. I bet u school will be fun. By the time u are out of school I bet you. It's the biz u will continue doing or find a better offer if need be.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by iqiq: 10:05am On Jun 02, 2020
I will leave this for the elders
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ProfAmaben(m): 10:23am On Jun 02, 2020
[quote author=Godwin5766 post=90216803][/quote]
HND is not going to be scrapped because they are also important and relevant. Polytechnics are the citadel of practical knowledge while university encompasses both theory and practice.

If you are brilliant with high jamb scores, it's safer to follow the university route. If you are a genius in building things and want the stress of BSC vs HND all your life, go for HND.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by iamjames2222: 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2020
Bro, collect the money. contact me, I'll link you up with a Ghanian school, you will buy the certificate and go for service. the school is legit. your name will be in their database. and if they want to verify anything the school will confirm that you actually attended there. by so doing you will save yourself those 4 or 5 years you would have wasted.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2020
This question self. As for me I believe you shouldn't go. Education is not a money making venture (that is why we still see idiots that cheat in the university) the university is not like a secondary school neither is it a business centre. Education is something worth striving for if you are contemplating this kind of question just burn it and do trade or if you have the zeal to learn start learning on your own.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by showafrica(m): 3:11pm On Jun 02, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

Bros... Just collect the complete money, enter year one.. Start hustling with the balance of the money. Dont depend on the useless certificate but just file it after final year. Start ur hustle from year one while going to school. Put your hustle first before the school anywhere wey hard sort am. But make sure you put all your energy and mind in your business. Nigeria institutions are useless in the current world.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Kokaine(m): 3:12pm On Jun 02, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

What business though?

Education gives an edge. It makes you dynamic.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Revolva(m): 5:38am On Jun 04, 2020
Mawex:

I don't like politicians actually people who thinks less of themselves are the ones mostly aspiring for political offices in Nigeria and its gonna be like this for a while until we get our six together.
I'm not saying anything to tell you be this or that I'm just telling you to make a good choice, making money is always a plan A and degree is always plan B to me, but look what if the plan A doesn't work, you've to weight facts before you do something stupid.
Look at yourself if plan A doesn't work then plan B won't too in most cases, so in my case I always clear plan B first then plan A will be an easy one.
This modern world you're speaking about is the world that still makes it hard for people that didn't go to school.
I've never in my wildest dream see myself as a politician or someone with public office, all I want in this life is to be able to help people close to me with the little I have so that people around me won't beg or put themselves in dangerous positions just to earn.
The reason we're facing a lot of problems in this country is because we don't help those close to us we rather give them money than to show them one or two skills that'll make them earn money for themselves.
Nigerian universities are in bad condition, that's true, but the country depends on that, what a pity.
And finally I don't care whether you go school or not, that's none of my business but because you decided that you can't make a choice on your own that's why I voiced out my opinion on the matter.
Your own problem OP is that you think the money you'll get to start a business is a big money and that's why you don't take any advice about going to school serious.
You've already made your choice about not going to school by thinking you can't fail in business when you've big capital, and that clearly shows that you didn't know much or you didn't make enough research about business and you still didn't know which type of business you should go into.

Nobody is forcing, do what your instinct is telling, and if you do it right you won't ever blame your choice.

btw I wish you luck in whatever you decide on

see i am not against education...my own is let every one learn a skill and use it o because all the jargons we learn in school may not be useful in our life..just few may be useful...

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by LordPherule(m): 8:36am On Jun 06, 2020
Naughtysite:

that is a lay man advice.

Assuming he really has a solid business in mind, it will be more profitable for him to collect N1m upfront from his parents and start the business.

They will actually spend up to that amount in 4 or 5 years to see him through the state owned university system.

I bet, he won't be well intellectual, some knowledge will be missing
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by LordPherule(m): 8:47am On Jun 06, 2020
Revolva:

see i am not against education...my own is let every one learn a skill and use it o because all the jargons we learn in school may not be useful in our life..just few may be useful...

Yes, few are only useful. Many are not useful but it's part of the requirement to get going. Not all pursuit workout but need to try
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
ProfAmaben:
Very good question. First of all, you have to understand what a university is. A university is a place where you attain a higher level of education through research and course work relevant to your discipline.

Acquiring University education prepares you better for life's challenges and makes it way easier for you to Integrate in any environment, those in the hostels would agree with me on this.

Secondly, a university is bascally an environment for education, which grants the pursuer of knowledge the requisite knowledge of what he seems to attain.

Thirdly, a university grows your social and future business network as so many have gotten employment through their former university friends and colleagues.

Fourthly, a university opens doors for intelligent and dogged students. There are so many jobs you can't get without being a graduate but there's no job that you can't get being a graduate or that ignores graduates except the low paying ones which most graduates dislike.

Fifthly, opening a business with your University fee is plain ignorance, the regrets would definitely come with time.

Lastly, you can always eat your cake and have it, it is no surprise that majority of successful people today in business are graduates. This is because the university tasks you mentally and this skill that can't be gotten from anywhere can be transferred to your business.

My humble logomachy!
see,the thing about school is that they don't teach us about money which is the reason why almost all the people who chant "school na scam" say so. A lot of people are having money problems and to think that out parents "told" us that going to school will solve our money problems. Frustration is what makes people say school na scam.
The real problem is not that school is a scam its just that school don't teach us about money
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ProfAmaben(m): 9:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
see,the thing about school is that they don't teach us about money which is the reason why almost all the people who chant "school na scam" say so. A lot of people are having money problems and to think that out parents "told" us that going to school will solve our money problems. Frustration is what makes people say school na scam.
The real problem is not that school is a scam its just that school don't teach us about money

School is solely meant for education not money making. Although, with the skills you learn from schools, you can make money. That is why we keep preaching to students to study professional courses that enables you stand without job seeking.

Most professors don't know how to make money asides their salaries, a wise student should read a marketable course. Don't study microbiology and shout unemployment. I hardly see computer science graduates that are unemployed.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2020
ProfAmaben:

School is solely meant for education not money making. Although, with the skills you learn from schools, you can make money. That is why we keep preaching to students to study professional courses that enables you stand without job seeking.

Most professors don't know how to make money asides their salaries, a wise student should read a marketable course. Don't study microbiology and shout unemployment. I hardly see computer science graduates that are unemployed.
The course you study doesn't define you,I mean,how can the course you study even define you sef?anybody can learn to make money regardless of what they study. Everyone won't be an engineer, a doctor,etc. We also need scientist.people that will devote their entire life to studying and making new discoveries that will aid the country.............
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 22, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Its not even only about professors. Almost all of us were not taught anything on how to make money. And this is the real problem not school.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by fwzolamide1(m): 9:07am On Jul 23, 2020
My brother don't do that.
The only thing I can advice you to do is ;Hustling while still @ school.
You can also be doing some rough work through out your 4/ 5 years @ school.
My brother, you can make up to 1 million.
Formal education equiq someone with knowledge, skills even you would experience what life means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards - 2019/2020 / Video Of A Lecturer Sexually Harassing A Student Released By RSUTV - UNIPORT / Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.