Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,329 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31846 Views)

Strike: What Is Going On In AAU? - Omawunmi Asks / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Top 7 Things To Know Before Going To The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Theophinio(m): 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nothing can take the place of TALENT and SKILL
Wealth is based on this
To be forewarned is to be forearmed
#BEWISE
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by iAmTheJoker: 5:28pm On Jun 01, 2020
For the certificate... Sure.
It increases ur chances of being successful in life by 0.2%
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
Personally, I'm in school because I don't have the character of a ferocious acheiver. If I was aggressive towards things, goals, I wouldn't go to school, I'd take edX courses and pluralsight courses, go online and school the shit out of myself. But I'm in school because I have not carved the habits that would take me out of school. Imagine I dropout of school, I'd still approach life with a relaxed vibe that wouldn't work for me out here in the business streets.

Plus, you can't say you go to school because of connections and stuff. The real connection is out there and not in school. You're the average of the 5 people you hang around most. You want to stay and hang around people who are looking forward to graduation and service and the labour market and get lucky? I'm not sure.

If it's in the way you'd brand your goods, it has nothing to do with your level of education. Exposure can be gotten anywhere else but school. I see people who go to school and sell wack products. Exposure is gotten from books and not a glorified institution of learning. You can better package your goods if you employ the services of a brand designer.

School is there to train you in your passions, to turn you into a professional, the average professional. Your passion determines if you will put in the extra work to becoming a master in your field.

If you're agressive enough and can approach life and goals with the attitude of a tiger, then you can dropout. But if you're like me that enjoys the slow pace and girls in college, then you can stay. Plus my course is in line with what I want to do for profession so why not remain there?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by pongwa(m): 5:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT Kim

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?
depends on what you wanna achieve with the degree. It shouldn't be based on just earning the rights to be referred to as a graduate.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 5:32pm On Jun 01, 2020
iAmTheJoker:
For the certificate... Sure.
It increases ur chances of being successful in life by 0.2%
The .2 odd sef go cut if na bet9ja.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by oyeb15: 5:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
University don't guarantee jobs,good reasoning, morals and competence.
Its a lazy way of making it if you are not strong but intelligent.

A lazy man can make it as a govt worker but can't if he's self employed.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Adegbem01(m): 5:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes learning is a necessity, but university this days, not even in Nigeria alone... Is over hyped. The struggle, efforts, the stress, time-wasting and even hazard associated with it compare to the knowledge gain especially in Nigeria is not WORTH IT.
There are many ways to learn effectively this days, there are many better practical skill and institutions, such as programming (web, app, ethical hacking etc.), robotics (we have institutions for it now even in Nigeria), skills like auto-mechanics, electrical and electronics, embedded systems, tailoring, carpentry and many more can be learn in an informed and civilized approach (not the traditional way of learning Ooo).
University as long become a canker-worm. They render youth mind and stereotype it, the system it self is a cancer to Nigeria government. Many Youth use it as avenue to plunder there spiritual life and physical away (yahoo, prostitute, cult and sort).
I absolutely support learning but, let REVOLUTIONIZED learning after secondary School. There are more option and better ways to do that in this era

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by iAmTheJoker: 5:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
Hardwork, persistence, passion, optimism and a laptop is all you need. Best advice you'll ever read.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Bluehill1051: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2020
I have second class upper university certificate for sale.
Please send a PM if interested
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2020
Let me add, your 5-year tuition fee in one business would crash easily because you don't know the business. Every big thing starts small. Don't make the mistake of going all in with your stakes in the business game especially if you're starting. It's good to burn your bridges and be aggressive towards achieving your goals but it's good to have that reserve money for second trial.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OChimex: 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
Get the certificate and hustle like a drop out in Nigeria

Not a wise man but an idiot would say such.... get cert at 30 years after jamb and admission wahala then come enter hustle wey go take not less than 5 years... lol

First, get your pen and paper and list world Billionaires and calculate the percentage that certificate help in becoming a billionaire.

Come to the east, count the entire buildings, mansions and storey buildings both residential and commercials, do the maths of how many owners of those buildings use cert make money build that house.

After I wasted years seeking admission and by the time I got into uni, those mates wey join business after primary and secondary school don become millionaires still come meet me for school, they do part time. still get the same cert.

conclusion, if the young man love business and have the talent, let him go learn any good business well, start it and when he make money go back to school, but then as a big boy. na that kind school sweet pass.

believe me honestly non of his mates who choose education first will see his back for success.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OChimex: 6:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Young man, from experience, if you love biz and have the talents, joining biz now will be your best decision so far as Nigeria is concerned.

Learn the biz well at least a year or two, learn the skills and gather contacts and customer base, start biz, you will never regret it.

When you make money, no level of education or cert you no fit acquire. then go school, attend lectures in your ride. lecturers go dey ask you before he publishes result, what mark you want make he score you? A or A1? lol

If you no like this advice, then try education. First you go sit for Jamb and admission for like 3 to 4 years. lol. then finally come settle for course wey u no like. then do am not less than 4 years with real hunger wey be say you go dey from lectures dey enter bush dey look for bush meat to chop cos of hunger.

then come graduate waste 1 year waiting for nysc and waste another 1 year doing nysc. finally 10 years do go be that. you go come enter job market with white bears and gray head, search for job like another 3 to 4 years, then finally you come see 25k job wey your employer go be your mate wey enter biz instead of school.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by PaulBlaQ88(m): 6:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
Go to school, that's all I see here..
Is the zeal there? What's the essence of going to school and coming out with a third class or pass in Nigeria?
Learning a skill, going into business is also an option to a better life.
Most Billionaires in the world are dropouts with dedication and perseverance for their passion.
Everybody must not go to school.
Do some deep thinking and ask the Holy Spirit for Divine Leading
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by EncoreTrades(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
Are you a Nigerian Student, you are invited to join our Foundation Education Pandemic Motivational Program.

You stand the chance to answer some questions, or solve simple math problems and win our weekly Giveaway Prices

Our Pandemic Giveaway Program will take part on our Instagram page... and it will kick off this Friday 9pm Nigeria Time with the first question.

The first person to submit the correct answer to the question wins the Star Price of 10000 naira.

Then we will have other consolation prices for the runner ups....Recharge cards etc

Take advantage of this pandemic initiatives and win BIG...

Brought to you by;

Beverly Foundation Africa
www.beverlyafrica.org

follow our instagram page:
@beverlyfoundation

Come let us have Fun:
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Clinghton: 6:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nothing in Nigeria is worth it, even business and education.

If you can leave this country better.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ChengHun(m): 6:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
The influential ones hardly graduate b4 they sart working. There are jobs only that it's being reserved for the children of powerful people.
It's worth it to go through University but choose ur curse wisely and acquire markeable skills along the line. Ur University degree will make marketing ur skill easier.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by FlordFlorez(m): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
Rafoski:

I'm afraid I disagree. The US has more opportunities than the country you're in.

The notion that "you are trained to create jobs" in the university is not true. If I can create jobs, why do I need a job? Job creators have more money than workers. I don't know where you get your ideas from but I don't think you should be exposing your shallow views on a public forum.
U can counter people's opinion with valid points without insulting them. Must u tell the world how ill-mannered, uncivilized and impertinent u are?! Ur parents really did a bad job on u. U are ill-bred and unpolite.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Perfectbeing(m): 7:21pm On Jun 01, 2020
Is it better to have a certificate you don't need or to need a certificate you don't have??
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by DonroxyII: 7:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

There is no knowledge that is costly .... University is still the best citadel of knowledge to happen to anyone....

Nonetheless, Our country doesn't force anyone ... If you are not comfortable with University, try Poly or go and do business.

Don't just come here to rant how you lost a contract due to not having requisite qualifications!!!
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by AngelJennifer: 7:57pm On Jun 01, 2020
ODJ123:
op going to school is worth it ooo.
let no one Deceive you.
it gives you an ego,and this feel I can't explain.
maybe whenever people start looking down on you
you will understand better..

True. And make sure you graduate with 2.1
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by KennedicalEnergy(m): 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2020
Education is good
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Georgebaba: 8:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
[quote author=Eddykul post=90155873]With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

From my Personal experience ill say.
You have know your Capacity. Whether youre good educationally & if you have the funding & support. Go to school.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
FlordFlorez:
U can counter people's opinion with valid points without insulting them. Must u tell the world how ill-mannered, uncivilized and impertinent u are?! Ur parents really did a bad job on u. U are ill-bred and unpolite.
If you don't show the world how ill mannered you are, they won't appreciate how polite you can be. Stick to the floored floors man, that's where you can pick a little sense. smiley
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ChevKing(m): 9:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Hey look here.
What's up with this question.
Asking this question is an embarrassment to who ever has trained you to whatever education you must have attained.
University education is still VERY RELEVANT IN NIGERIA, irrespective of what is happening around you.
I can tell you that if you consider it not necessary, you MAY regret it. I have seen a number of colleague who regretted taking other forms of tertiary education.
Thank me later.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ChevKing(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
ChevKing:

Hey look here.
What's up with this question.
Asking this question is an embarrassment to who ever has trained you to whatever education you must have attained.
University education is still VERY RELEVANT IN NIGERIA, irrespective of what is happening around you.
I can tell you that if you consider it not necessary, you MAY regret it. I have seen a number of colleague who regretted taking other forms of tertiary education.
Thank me later.

Your asertions are not true. I am sure you are not in Lagos.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by FlordFlorez(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
Rafoski:
If you don't show the world how ill mannered you are, they won't appreciate how polite you can be. Stick to the floored floors man, that's where you can pick a little sense. smiley
I just figured out that u are a weed smoker and an atheist plus a humanist. I shouldn't expect less from an extremist. U always sound incoherent in every trend u enter.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Just go learn yahoo. Idiot.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2020
FlordFlorez:
I just figured out that u are a weed smoker and an atheist plus a humanist. I shouldn't expect less from an extremist. U always sound incoherent in every trend u enter.
It's *thread not "trend". smiley
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by boyjo: 9:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

I think your village people have started blowing smoke on your matter.

You better go school if na your parents dey sponsor you.
I had classmates who were in school that were into business of selling, photography , airtime etc while schooling!

Let me tell you a story.
I young that time,
and was probably foolish because of the young age.

I come tell my siblings say I wan tell my Papa say I no wan go school again.
Them shock!
Them come ask me why.

Na im I tell them say whether them no see as Papa just dey shout say if we no wan go school again make we tell am?!
Them laugh.
Na im them come tell me say no o,
E no mean am o!
Say Im just dey talk so because E dey vex.

Na wetin save my future be that o.
Thank God say I get enough sense to seek advice as I young reach that time.

Thank God say I go school.

School gives you an edge. Exposure.

My advice to you is to start the business that wants to make you dropout from school in School.

You can do both.

No kill yourself.
Just dey enjoy the flow.
When school becomes stressful,
take a break from the business to concentrate on school.

When you graduate from school, easing into your business would be so easy because of the years of practice.
...Easier than those who would be starting business for the first time.

Before you dropout, look for agberos and touts who dropped out of school and ask them if they regret it.

God will help you.
God is the one who gives jobs.
He will give you a good job if you ask Him.

I read one comment like that wey one person drop for one thread like that.
A random comment.
He said he regrets going into business straight from school.
Say, business has been tough for him all these years.

Pray.
E be like say some people for your family no like your Papa or Mama,
so them wan make them unhappy by some of your decisions.
Pray inside your room; you and God alone.
God shall lead you aright.

People keep using Mark Zukerberg etc as examples.
Hm, these guys were already Programming gurus while in school o.
The day they dropped out, they were already successful at using that skill that has now brought them fame.
They dropped out because they knew beyond 100% that their businesses were hits.
Facebook was already expanding exponentially while Mark was still in school.
He dropout to create the time the business needed o.

Which business you get for hand wey be hit, wey wan make you drop out?

My advice:
Have a job and also own a business,
side business na im them dey call am.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Evidenx(m): 9:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
FESTUS GET FIRST CLASS BUT HE NOR GET JOB, U SAY SCHOOL NA SCAM,

BILL GATES NA DROP OUT BUT HE GET DOLLARS YOU SAY
SCHOOL NA SCAM..

I ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE, "SCHOOL NA SCAM FOR NIGERIA",

AS LONG AS YOU CAN READ AND WRITE,THATS ALL YOU NEED.

START BUSINESS AND WITH TIME TRAVEL OUT OF NIGERIA AND STUDY.. SEE ALL THAT SCHOOL WEH WE DEY GO FOR NIGERIA, NA WASTE OF TIME.

I PERSONALLY IF I HAD KNOWN, NA TECHNICAL SCHOOL I GO FOR GO WHERE THEM GO TEACH ME HAND WORK.

SCHOOL NA SCAM FOR NIGERIA.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Catalyst001(m): 9:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Yea of course you are right... Like when you say when people start looking down on you.

Do you know that some people can still look down on you when you go to school, graduate and still not get a job??

Sometimes, after graduating we go for jobs that are not even related to the course we read in school.

Today hardly will you even see a good job to do.

I am just scared of wasteing my time and money instead, investing for the future right now.
It seems u already have what u want to do in mind, u just come here to hear from people's mouth.
Do what you like ooo, a word is enof for the wise.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Catalyst001(m): 9:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin
Thannk u later or swear for u later wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UNN Nursing Students Stand To Write Test Under The Sun (Video) / Anthony Ekwensi, A Nigerian Wins Chinese Language Contest (Pictured) / Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards - 2019/2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.