Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31864 Views)

Strike: What Is Going On In AAU? - Omawunmi Asks / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Top 7 Things To Know Before Going To The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
quinnboy:
Guy!....It's not fucking worth it. Obviously you can read and write which means you can express yourself. Education is pretty much a waste of time in this generation...I just learn a skill and nobody will ask for your academic qualifications to ask for your services.
Says a person that went to school, op if you like, listen to these set of people, they are the ones that will mock you and call you illiterate when the time comes.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by BEEFIE: 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
duchess854:
I saw this post and I thought of Robert Kiyosaki - the Business of 21 Century

there are some fundamental things you will not get about your society. there's a limit you can grow without education. Warren buffet is a class of his own because of education. bill gate fund is being managed by people who went to school.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by olajizz01(m): 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
Get the certificate and hustle like a drop out in Nigeria
Wise talks,you have answer his question in one and very concised sentence.

Because if he refused to go to school now,I'm very sure that he will bring another story few years or decades to come
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dbestuncle: 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
Good one. Then also in the states some jobs are not for graduates so u can get jobs even without been a graduate hence u may not even need a university degree n b happy.
But here everyone needs a degree

FlordFlorez:
Yes broda, it worth it. Universities and other institutions are there to train/equip u in a particular field not just for u to get job but to be able to create job(s). This is where we all get it wrong. USA and other developed countries in the world do not give jobs to all their graduates, but they simply support those they couldn't employ to create jobs for theirselves and others and the circle continues, thus reducing unemployment. The issue in Nigeria is that, so many graduates are ready to create jobs but NO government backing.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Okekeni90(m): 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
Slynation:
In fact self... From this part of the Country i don't know what to think anymore

But one thing I can assure you is that, getting the certificate may help you in future...
I can remember vividly 2011, some of my senior men, 4 tight friends, 2 just graduated from University while 2 was living life for the moment.... As God may have it, They met a man that loves their way and that was how the man requested for their credentials, The 2 of them that submitted was given a governmental job(custom to be precised) now "money nobi problem" while the remaining two are still patching up with life.... So it's good to get the cert even if it ain't useful after graduation, you never can tell what the future holds for you...

Meanwhile you can still do business while school. ...

Follow this advice OP

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by alizma: 3:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?
If you have personally typed this message without anybody's help and you BELIEVE you will do better in business, you have my full support.
that word in capital is necessary because that is what you will need to scale through irrespective of where you find yourself in life

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by pompymiles(m): 3:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
My brother, having a university degree is worth it.It is true that there are thousands if not millions of Nigerian graduates are unemployed,while a large chunk of the employed ones are underpaid. But don't be discouraged. Go to university and make sure you acquire some other skills so that you won't put all your eggs in one basket.Good luck
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
OgThanos:

Did you mean to say
" At least an OND" ? undecided

At least an HND.

That is what many companies always ask for.

At least an HND.

OND is always lumped together with SSCE for positions of secretaries, cleaners, drivers, marketers, store attendants...
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Matchingsquad10: 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
Just get the certificate, and never you depend on it.....
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 01, 2020
Only people with small minds ask these sort of questions

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by pyman11(m): 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
I remember during my days in school one of my lecturer said your certificate is your meal ticket...it is your choose but I think going to school will definitely accrued it important going forward
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by pyman11(m): 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
I remember during my days in school one of my lecturer said your certificate is your meal ticket...it is your choice but I think going to school will definitely accrued it important going forward

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by leonard509(m): 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

just message me through this number (08092651191) on whatsapp.. I'll rather send you voice notes, than say yes or no(you need more than that as an answer)... I'm a fresh graduate of futminna, i can share with you my lessons, findings and all..
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by blackboy(m): 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Dont go and you will live to regret it for life.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by SeriouslySense(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
There are many wise people on nairaland, you will notice.

SegFault:

So wise people like this dey NL.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by david290(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
I can only speak of myself, but if I could turn back the hand of time, I wouldn't waste seven years of my life. Education is indeed worth it, but 'schooling' is what is going on in most public tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Whatever you decide on, skill up, like others have rightly mentioned.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OgThanos: 3:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

At least an HND.

That is what many companies always ask for.

At least an HND.

OND is always lumped together with SSCE for positions of secretaries, cleaners, drivers, marketers, store attendants...
You made it look like HND alone is the smallest degree in Nigeria...
Is anything wrong with "at least HND/BSC" ?
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Charlex23(m): 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
Without getting a university degree i think would preclude you from getting well paying jobs. getting a Bsc is paramount most especially in Nigeria. Considering the fact that other graduates never got a job dosen't means yours would be the same. Grace differs
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nigerianboi1960(m): 4:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

It is well worth it. I'm a student right now, and I know the challenges, but university isn't just about education, it's about the association and the meaning people and opportunities you'll be exposed to.

You said you want to start up a business, well, so do I. And I can bet you that the way I'll set up mine will be different, more organised and goal oriented than yours.

My advice for you is to go to university. Not just any university, but one where you'll have access to opportunities. Go and focus more on entrepreneurship and making connections and you'd be glad you did.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by MartinsD12(m): 4:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

For me I would say university is worth it but then have a side hustle don't be idle or if you can make money first before going to school is good too
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by icenti: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
University expose you to certain things of life. It's worth getting the exposure
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by newoffer: 4:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
Attend twitter and instagram university. You are confused abi?... go to University
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dewuyiebun: 4:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes of course, going to the university really pays alot,there's something we don't understand in this part of the world, going to the university is to increase our intelligent quocient (IQ) inorder to be able to stand alone and even be our own boss but rather we believe in looking for job and be push around.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by makanma(f): 4:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
only rich ppl say money isn't everything, only beautiful ppl say beauty doesn't matter. Bros if you were a gutter cleaner u wouldn't even be here on nairaland arguing so why not lead be example. I know ur type coz i had them as friends, "I won't do the assignment " that's what they say but last last they will be rhe first to submit lol.
I rather be a rich gutter cleaner than be a poor graduate......why I'm on nairaland with my joblessness speaking grammer.....people that barely passed through secondary school are at Nkwor Nnewi machine parts packing money.....and besides I'm not a man.......

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by oyewale0001(m): 4:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
It is well.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by gudugudumeje: 4:44pm On Jun 01, 2020
Pls.do go.Do not hesitate to go.The four(4) qualites of Self Respect, Intellectual Courage, Sense of Sufficiency, and Confidence - as a degree programme and a worthy graduate may so cause to get you to be so endowed and enriched - no doubt adds to the capital investment in you and your worth....
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rafoski: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Yes broda, it worth it. Universities and other institutions are there to train/equip u in a particular field not just for u to get job but to be able to create job(s). This is where we all get it wrong. USA and other developed countries in the world do not give jobs to all their graduates, but they simply support those they couldn't employ to create jobs for theirselves and others and the circle continues, thus reducing unemployment. The issue in Nigeria is that, so many graduates are ready to create jobs but NO government backing.
I'm afraid I disagree. The US has more opportunities than the country you're in.

The notion that "you are trained to create jobs" in the university is not true. If I can create jobs, why do I need a job? Job creators have more money than workers. I don't know where you get your ideas from but I don't think you should be exposing your shallow views on a public forum.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Ebenezer2O2O(m): 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
kingxsamz:

So a graduate without a job will look down on a non graduate who's wealthy and satisfied with life?
If your main priority of education is to feel among so that people don't look down on you, then I don't know what to tell you.
lol
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by BluntTheApostle(m): 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
OgThanos:

You made it look like HND alone is the smallest degree in Nigeria...
Is anything wrong with "at least HND/BSC" ?

HND is not a degree. It is a diploma.

And a diploma is inferior to a degree.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Charly68: 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Ask yourself the importance of education. It is good preparation that prevents poor performance..get knowledge,get wisdom and get understanding ,these will make you outstanding in whatever you chose to do
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Mawex(m): 5:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
Revolva:
Nigerian universities are one big den of failures to society ..from the professors who don't add value to society with their knowledge the how will the students be?

See in Nigeria just hustle and make money pls legit by long suffering and later go back to school maybe distance learning or what ever way or even travel abroad to study
I will be the last person to attend a Nigerian university anymore ..cultism and all dangerous vices may even kill you there

As for the private ones those ones have modern facilities but still yet the student there are not even serious after graduation, all they do is boast about their school and enjoy life over there

In Nigeria go and get the money in the street first that why many Igbo traders are making it big and you wey de school de learn book too much will still need them to give u deals lol
Infact na the people wey de study masters and PhD I de pity for sometimes

Story Dem tell u say I wan be politician when I grow old abeg life is full of many opportunities

Certificate is rubbish it is how skilfully you are you will earn in this modern world ok

I don't like politicians actually people who thinks less of themselves are the ones mostly aspiring for political offices in Nigeria and its gonna be like this for a while until we get our six together.
I'm not saying anything to tell you be this or that I'm just telling you to make a good choice, making money is always a plan A and degree is always plan B to me, but look what if the plan A doesn't work, you've to weight facts before you do something stupid.
Look at yourself if plan A doesn't work then plan B won't too in most cases, so in my case I always clear plan B first then plan A will be an easy one.
This modern world you're speaking about is the world that still makes it hard for people that didn't go to school.
I've never in my wildest dream see myself as a politician or someone with public office, all I want in this life is to be able to help people close to me with the little I have so that people around me won't beg or put themselves in dangerous positions just to earn.
The reason we're facing a lot of problems in this country is because we don't help those close to us we rather give them money than to show them one or two skills that'll make them earn money for themselves.
Nigerian universities are in bad condition, that's true, but the country depends on that, what a pity.
And finally I don't care whether you go school or not, that's none of my business but because you decided that you can't make a choice on your own that's why I voiced out my opinion on the matter.
Your own problem OP is that you think the money you'll get to start a business is a big money and that's why you don't take any advice about going to school serious.
You've already made your choice about not going to school by thinking you can't fail in business when you've big capital, and that clearly shows that you didn't know much or you didn't make enough research about business and you still didn't know which type of business you should go into.

Nobody is forcing, do what your instinct is telling, and if you do it right you won't ever blame your choice.

btw I wish you luck in whatever you decide on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Anthony Ekwensi, A Nigerian Wins Chinese Language Contest (Pictured) / Babcock University Girl"s Leaked Sex Tape Goes Viral! (photos) / Download Nigerian Navy Past Questions For Free [pdf. ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.