Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. (55968 Views)

My Smallie Sister-in-law Makes My Life Difficult In My Own House / 17-Year-Old Son Impregnates His Younger Sister In Nasarawa / My Sister-In-Law Staying With Us Atimes Knows When We Are Making Love.Pls Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Amya:
I dont think hubby blabbed. They hadly communicate even. She pulled that not just with me but with my co wife. She succeeded with co-wife and when when no job came out of it, i got a little break especially from her mum. But even with that failed incident, i dare not say my co-wife was scammed.
Na was oo! pele oo! smiley
I am lost for words! lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by FlordFlorez(m): 10:14pm On Jun 01, 2020
Imagine that. And ur husband had to believed her? Nawa o.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by brainfordetails: 10:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
Op you've done nothing wrong at all. Let the proud sis be and her conscience continue to judge her.

That's people for you.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by LadySarah: 11:11pm On Jun 01, 2020
Amya:

I dont think hubby blabbed. They hadly communicate even. She pulled that not just with me but with my co wife. She succeeded with co-wife and when when no job came out of it, i got a little break especially from her mum. But even with that failed incident, i dare not say my co-wife was scammed.

Whats her occupation? I hope she is a top director in cbn to be arranging feddy jobs for ppl anyhow

3 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by sisisioge: 11:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
grin grin grin grin grin

You be street...she thought she could wayle you. She should take the slot for herself nau. Hian!

4 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 11:32pm On Jun 01, 2020
@Amya,
You have followed your instinct and that is what matters. Your husband can take your resume and send it alongside the money to his sister if he wants to. Just let it lie and avoid her as much as it lies in your power.

Why part to get a job though?
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 11:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
Biglittlelois:

The Aunty called her, why didn't she call her brother directly since the money will come from him? Why did she call the wife continuously, even telling her she'll call her husband but never did? Why?

She did and said the right thing any rational thinking human would do and say, her smartness is accurate and top notch.

Maybe she's scanned him in the past with s frivolous request. She is using the mother's innocence to divide the brothers family and unfortunately, they are falling for it.

1 Like

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Biglittlelois(f): 11:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
GboyegaD:

Maybe she's scanned him in the past with s frivolous request. She is using the mother's innocence to divide the brothers family and unfortunately, they are falling for it.

I'm glad someone else can see another angle to her deception and duping tendencies.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 11:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
Biglittlelois:

I'm glad someone else can see another angle to her deception and duping tendencies.

She should be called out at this point though since she failed with another of her sister-in-law.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Biglittlelois(f): 11:47pm On Jun 01, 2020
GboyegaD:

She should be called out at this point though since she failed with another of her sister-in-law.

They are blind to that because she is their blood, and the wives are seen as intruders, it is not new.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by SweetCunt97(f): 11:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
Is it by force to help? The sil and mil are in cohort to fleece your husband of some money using you.

Seems ur husband does not know what his sister is capable of. She for go collect the NNPC job na.

8 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by SweetCunt97(f): 11:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
GboyegaD:
@Amya,
You have followed your instinct and that is what matters. Your husband can take your resume and send it alongside the money to his sister if he wants to. Just let it lie and avoid her as much as it lies in your power.

Why part to get a job though?
It's normal in Abuja. You need to pay before you get any appointment letter unless you got friends in high places.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by SweetCunt97(f): 11:59pm On Jun 01, 2020
Biglittlelois:

Who is the someone? His sister? If your wife tell you your sister is trying to scam you, what will be your reaction?

Nl guys always looking for ways to blame ladies, how is Op a scammer?
Personally I don't hold unnecessary sentiments. I believe anyone can attempt to scam me. When it comes to money, I trust no one o.

1 Like

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 12:04am On Jun 02, 2020
Biglittlelois:

They are blind to that because she is their blood, and the wives are seen as intruders, it is not new.

It seems new to me though. Anyways, she's done the important thing.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 12:05am On Jun 02, 2020
SweetCunt97:
It's normal in Abuja. You need to pay before you get any appointment letter unless you got friends in high places.

Never knew it is this bad ooo.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by cococandy(f): 12:17am On Jun 02, 2020
Two days later, this woman called me again to tell me she has an NNPC job for me.

(you've gat to be kidding me!)
grin grin
Sorry for laughing OP. This bit is so so funny.

She has contacts in all the Nigerian agencies. Can she find me a job too?
Just too funny.

You did brilliant at OP

8 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by cococandy(f): 12:18am On Jun 02, 2020
GboyegaD:

She has opened office her siblings heads using their wives.

5 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 1:58am On Jun 02, 2020
cococandy:

She has opened office her siblings heads using their wives.

But are they saying they can't see it or the family is just dysfunctional somewhat.

4 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by cococandy(f): 2:06am On Jun 02, 2020
GboyegaD:

But are they saying they can't see it or the family is just dysfunctional somewhat.

Could be both. Some people can’t see anything wrong their person (family or friend) is doing. And you can make yourself the enemy by trying to point it out.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by GboyegaD(m): 2:47am On Jun 02, 2020
cococandy:

Could be both. Some people can’t see anything wrong their person (family or friend) is doing. And you can make yourself the enemy by trying to point it out.

Hopefully they don't learn the hard way.

4 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 02, 2020
The op is just somehow.
Confusing ,disjointed and .....
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Excellent7(m): 4:44am On Jun 02, 2020
Amya:

Family issues like this is really dicey. How csn i tell him his sister is trying to scam us? I did the best i could do in such situation by shutting the whole thing down. I heard she actually collected some money from my co wife for same job and when it amounted to nothing, she blamed the recruitment process. Las las, she's family, you can't beat her or arrest her

Dangerous people!
@OP
Please do not continue to flog yourself.
In this matter you acted wisely.
Your actions protected your husband's funds, even though he might not realize it at the moment.
See their actions as "tantrums" because their plans were frustrated.

4 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:05am On Jun 02, 2020
Biglittlelois:

The Aunty called her, why didn't she call her brother directly since the money will come from him? Why did she call the wife continuously, even telling her she'll call her husband but never did? Why?

She did and said the right thing any rational thinking human would do and say, her smartness is accurate and top notch.

Yup. She wanted the wife to be the one putting pressure on hubby to release the money... so that when the thing goes south... hubby will blame his wife... forgetting that it was his sister who brought the shoddy deal to their doorsteps in the first place.

15 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by femi4: 7:12am On Jun 02, 2020
Amya:
I've been looking to get a federal agency job in Abuja for a while now and haven't yet had any reasonable connection.

My sister inlaw ( husband's sister) a lady in her mid 40s who's divorced and a hustler type still trying to find her feet called me up one day and told me a friend of hers had a connection for Civil Defence and i should email my CV right away to her. I have never discussed jobs with her before so the call took me by surprise. I wasnt particular keen on Civil Defence and as a lawyer i had my sights much higher on parastatal or agency jobs. She might have sensed my reluctance on the phone and she went on to say

"I'm just doing you a favour ooo, many people are hoping for opportunities as this"

She had this tone of urgency.

I didnt especially like how she was hurrying me as i never approach anything with desperation and as such, have never been scammed. I told her I'll get back to her. Two hours later, she was messaging me on whatsapp that she hadn't seen my CV on her mailbox. I replied her saying

"Aunty i haven't sent it ooo, is the job slot free because me i don't have money ooo"

This was a very dicey situation for me because this woman is over 10 years my senior and i wanted to be as diplomatic as possible without causing family wahala.

She read my response but didnt reply.

Very early the next morning she called me and when i picked up, she said that the job wasnt free but the price wasnt too much, just N350k. That i shouldn't worry that she'll call my hubby (her brother) and ask him for the money. When i saw she was still pushing, i opened up to her that even if i wanted to pay for a job slot, it definitely wasnt going to be a Civil Defence job as i had my sights set on agencies and parastatals. I knew she was upset by how her voice changed. "Agencies? What's that?" I told her like NNPC, DPR, NCC and the likes
"NNPC? ehnnn.. Okay" She cut the call and i heaved a sigh that it was over. It wasn't.

Two days later, this woman called me again to tell me she has an NNPC job for me.

(you've gat to be kidding me!)

She said that her friend knows the director and he asked for one million but after begging him, he agreed to take 500k she started with her hurrying tactics that i had only 24hrs and if payment wasn't made before then that the offer will be withdrawn. At that time, NNPC were done with their recruitment process and i didnt even apply and knowing how stringent NNPC recruitment was, i knew that offer was impossible. She went on that if I didn't have the cash that she'd call her brother (hubby) to make the transfer immediately. I knew right then without a doubt that this woman wanted to use me to obtain her brother by all means. She can try to scam him directly and if he falls mugu, good for her but why try to use me in the scam? I went further with questioning her on the supposed NNPC job. "Please Aunty the director that is helping, where is he?
" Abuja nau" she replied getting irritated with my questioning.

She was in Lagos and i was in Abuja at the time
so i asked her if i could meet the supposed director one on one and pay him directly and even promised to reward her and her friend handsomely if the deal pulls through.

"No" she said abruptly "you pay the money to my account and ill give it to my friend to make the payment. All you have to do is just hope and pray"

Pray... That word. I knew then without a doubt that this Aunty was trying to scam me.

I told her "Aunty please dont be angry, i know you mean well for my future and want me to get a good job in NNPC but right now I've already paid part payment for another job somewhere and i wouldn't want to invest in two places at once" That wasnt true, i just had to get her off my tail once and for all. She was shocked. She angrily cut the call. She wanted to finesse her brother out of some cash using my future, what happens when the real slot comes around. Would i expect him to pay twice?

Her mum (mil) called me and started blasting me. Saying I'm feeling too big to be helped and her daughter was only trying to help me and now she never wanted to have anything to do with me again. That i should call her daughter and take the offer so that peace would reign. I didnt. Even my hubby blamed me and i couldn't even open my mouth to tell anyone i thought the whole setup was a scam. That's such a big accusation to make. The family dislike for me grew worse because of that incident.

Please did i do wrong?

Modified: For those asking me to talk to hubby, ofcourse i did but he genuinely believes his sister was trying to help and since i couldnt point out outright that the whole thing smelt of scam, hr thinks i rejected the offer because of pride. But i know better. It didnt cause serious issue between us though.
Its a pure scam. You did well, it shows you ve been here for long cos we have many scammers here on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 02, 2020
For those of you asking about the relationship with her husband and why she cannot tell him it's a scam.

I dont think I can tell my husband anything funny about his family members. Especially a sister in law that is 10years older. Naaaaa, that is out rightly going to be disrespectful and can cause family problems.

No matter how free I am with him I cant just say oh I think that help your sister is trying to offer is all scam.
Where money is involved?

Two things can happen from there.

1. The husband angrily goes to confront his sister on the basis of his wife's accusations. Fight will start, then they will start to hate his wife.

2. The husband gets angry at his wife for thinking that his own sister is capable of scamming her when all he think she wants to do is to offer help.

Matters like this, one needs to handle them maturedly and calmly.
The marriage setting in Africa is not one that allows you to treat your in laws fu3k ups and banish them forever.
Naaaaaa. They will still be in your lives for as long as possible. And in laws do not forgive.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by TheArchangel(f): 7:39am On Jun 02, 2020
My in-laws has emotionally scammed me with promises of jobs in topnotch agencies and parastatals on several occasions. grin grin.
I have resorted to sending reminders to these blood related scammers on their birthdays and other memorable celebrations cheesy cheesy

The funniest setup.

Ignore

Ignore

Ignore the "scam" like it never happened. With in-laws, do not bring up their scams or machinations, or even acknowledge it when someone else brings it up, except there is a threat to harm or life.

It will fizzle away for your own piece of mind. They know the truth but want a fall guy. You. They must have seen and realize that your husband must really be in love with you for them to scam such a huge amount from him. With them you don't just win.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by NoToPile: 7:45am On Jun 02, 2020
Ohemababy:
For those of you asking about the relationship with her husband and why she cannot tell him it's a scam.

I dont think I can tell my husband anything funny about his family members. Especially a sister in law that is 10years older. Naaaaa, that is out rightly going to be disrespectful and can cause family problems.

No matter how free I am with him I cant just say oh I think that help your sister is trying to offer is all scam.
Where money is involved?

Two things can happen from there.

1. The husband angrily goes to confront his sister on the basis of his wife's accusations. Fight will start, then they will start to hate his wife.

2. The husband gets angry at his wife for thinking that his own sister is capable of scamming her when all he think she wants to do is to offer help.

Matters like this, one needs to handle them maturedly and calmly.
The marriage setting in Africa is not one that allows you to treat your in laws fu3k ups and banish them forever.
Naaaaaa. They will still be in your lives for as long as forever. And in laws do not forgive.
This is Nigeria

You see the bolded is the crux of the matter she has not even stated she thinks its a scam ordinary rejection oo the dislike has increased, what if she now says it outrightly. The in-laws that did not see anything wrong with the deal of OPs cowife that went sour.

Op handled it nicely

Besides even if they want to sell a slot at NNPC, its not and can never be 500k

10 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Acidosis(m): 7:50am On Jun 02, 2020
You should be worried. Asides business intellect, the ability to detect and perceive scam from afar is paramount in this country. Seems the woman knows her brother's mumu button. You said she's based in Lagos ba? And you guys are in Abuja? No surprises at all.

Your husband wouldn't have allowed that communication between you and his sister in the first place if he was street smart.

All she needed from you was your consent (i.e. your cv). The power to scam her brothers lie in her hands. That's terrible.

There are certain schemes scammers won't present to you because they know who you are. Your hubby seems like a easy target for her. And this, sadly, will continue for a very long time.

Be worried, my sister.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Amya(f): 8:26am On Jun 02, 2020
Acidosis:
You should be worried. Asides business intellect, the ability to detect and perceive scam from afar is paramount in this country. Seems the woman knows her brother's mumu button. You said she's based in Lagos ba? And you guys are in Abuja? No surprises at all.

Your husband wouldn't have allowed that communication between you and his sister in the first place if he was street smart.

All she needed from you was your consent (i.e. your cv). The power to scam her brothers lie in her hands. That's terrible.

There are certain schemes scammers won't present to you because they know who you are. Your hubby seems like a easy target for her. And this, sadly, will continue for a very long time.

Be worried, my sister.

If she wants to scam her brother directly, and he falls for it, good and fine. If however she wants to use me in her scam, then it cant work.

My MIL usually call me from time to time to inquire in a mocking tone if I'd finally gotten the supposed one i allegedly paid for. When i tell her no, she'll be like my daughter wanted to help you but you refused.. She's been a bit chill now when the co-wife's own busted though. It was even from her i heard they'd paid for my co-wife and the job didnt come through. Her money is it sef.

5 Likes

Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by semid4lyfe(m): 8:37am On Jun 02, 2020
Acidosis:

Be worried, my sister.

You're right.

All scammers typically utilize and take advantage of the weakness of their victims.

In this instance, SIL knows her brother desperately wants his wife to get a job and he'll willing to pay so she played on that.
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by EvilPOTATO(m): 8:47am On Jun 02, 2020
This one funny oo
Re: My Sister In-law Tried To Scam Me. by Mariangeles(f): 9:08am On Jun 02, 2020
What greed does... undecided

Desperate to lay your hands on what's not yours by all means makes you a greedy theif.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? / Chinese Woman Finds Out On Son's Wedding Day That Bride Is Actually Her Daughter / Dad Shares Photo Of A Drawing His Little Daughter Made Of Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.