Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents (61113 Views)

UNICAL Publishes Names Of 638 Students Withdrawn From The Institution / Ibukunoluwa Are Withdrawn From OAU For Bad Performance, Grabs 1st Class At Bowen / How Do I Get Testimonial From A Secondary School I Did Not Finish From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jun 03, 2020
RETAKE JAMB
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by ayodejisure: 11:55pm On Jun 03, 2020
Send their number let me help you tell them
sagna112:
My name is Uche a 100Level supposed medicine and surgery student of a Nigerian University, I used to be very brilliant and that was what instigated me to apply for Medicine and Surgery after acquiring an aggregate score of 270 in both JAMB and POST-UTME Examinations, I was then admitted a years ago into a university.

I am the only child of my parents, they have spent so much on me just to make sure I become a doctor, dad had to sell one of his plots of land to pay for my registration fees, purchase a brand new laptop, a phone and clothes for me and all my needs, Mum who has no job since she was sacked by the state government will always try to send the little that will pass through her, when I think of the way she announced to her friends when I gained admission to study Medicine it brings tears from my eyes.

It will be an injustice on me to be blamed or for me to blame myself, I know the effort I have also made, I have always taken my studies serious, I never missed any lecture, I neither miss assignments nor tests, I sit at the front of the class, I don't keep bad gangs, I have never attended a party, sometimes I do RTDB (Read Till Day Break), what is then my offense? why me?

At the end of my 100 level Second semester my CGP was reading 4.2 without a single carryover, I was very happy because I thought I had scaled through the danger zone.

The unexpected occurred when I logged into the school portal at the end of my Second Semester Examination to check my result, I cleared all the courses with A's and B's but a course was reading Carryover, I nearly fainted when I saw the result, it was a biology course I offered in second semester to me the course was the simplest of all. I did not inform my parents because I din not want to dishearten them.

The school resumed, so I went to my HOD and complained, she took me to the Exam office who searched thoroughly for my script and from what I saw it was obvious I failed, I scored 32% and was asked to change department, my HOD advised that I go to Biological Sciences, my eyes were filled with tears.

How do I tell my parents this, it only mean I have brought shame to them. I have remained in school since then crying from one angle to another I don't know whether to go home to my parents to inform them of the truth or keep telling them lies.

I need your sincere advice.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by karashita: 11:56pm On Jun 03, 2020
othermen:
Don't tell your parent anything. Or you want to kill them too? Pretend as though you are still in school, collect money for books, get your school fee by yourself; use the money to drink and have all the fun you can, take drugs, just have fun. Never make the mistake of writing another Jamb or reapplying. Who studies biological science? You are far beyond that. In the next three years, go to wherever in Lagos and get a university MBBS certificate. Travel to the north, you will get a job. Pay your tithe. You will be forgiven for those that die in your care. It is their time_ right? The best Sir--+ and don't forget to hide or delete the diary where you said you are studying engineering. May you get the attention that you seek.

I hope the boy ignores this.I hope he sees the sarcasm here.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Sanishu: 11:57pm On Jun 03, 2020
My guy please for God sake find a way to tell them.
Then if you want to choose a course please of possible choose Agriculture or a very simple course in biological sciences so that you can graduate with 1st class or second class upper . please.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Kpokakpoka(m): 11:59pm On Jun 03, 2020
karashita:

I hope the boy ignores this.I hope he sees the sarcasm here.
If he could score 270 in jamb and post UTME....i would expect he does.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Areaboyfriend(m): 12:00am On Jun 04, 2020
@sangna112

I feel so sorry about ur predicaments. I totally understand how you are feeling. I know you do not want to disappoint your parents who are doing everything possible to see you though sch. I know that parents can sell the last piece of their property to train a child through medical school.

This is my advice for you

Don't hesitate to tell your parents about this. You know them better, so I don't know exactly how you are going to put it down to them. But make sure you tell them.

The way forward
Change to another department in Basic medical sciences, that would take you to 200l while u seat for your carryover. While in 200l, make sure you enrol for jamb and try again..
Alternatively, you can move on to graduate in your new department. Work hard while you are there(like you would do if you were still in MBBS), come out with good grades and thereafter go for direct entry in your sch(if you would still be passionate about it then). If you aren't willing again, then go for your masters immediately.

You see these above, you can't do it all by yourself. You need your parents.

And stop crying, as it doesn't solve everything.

Peace!!
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Chiderao1(m): 12:00am On Jun 04, 2020
Sanishu:
My guy please for God sake find a way to tell them.
Then if you want to choose a course please of possible choose Agriculture or a very simple course in biological sciences so that you can graduate with 1st class or second class upper . please.
He doesn't believe in God � �

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by big7: 12:00am On Jun 04, 2020
Smartmed:
which school is this?
most schools i know dont throw u out immediately, instead you are given a chance to repeat 100level

I suspect unilorin.. Unilorin will not just throw you but fling you away to another dept.due to his high GP.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by NigeriaB(m): 12:01am On Jun 04, 2020
optm:
This your story is quite unbelieveable. What school ? I doubt there's any course of study in d univ that throws a 100l student out for failing just one course .

Medicine can throw you out if at the end of 100L you are not able to make 50% in a particular course.

Just a few schools may ask you to repeat but most Medical schools take you to another department.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Ferdinandu(m): 12:01am On Jun 04, 2020
sagna112:
My name is Uche a 100Level supposed medicine and surgery student of a Nigerian University, I used to be very brilliant and that was what instigated me to apply for Medicine and Surgery after acquiring an aggregate score of 270 in both JAMB and POST-UTME Examinations, I was then admitted a years ago into a university.

I am the only child of my parents, they have spent so much on me just to make sure I become a doctor, dad had to sell one of his plots of land to pay for my registration fees, purchase a brand new laptop, a phone and clothes for me and all my needs, Mum who has no job since she was sacked by the state government will always try to send the little that will pass through her, when I think of the way she announced to her friends when I gained admission to study Medicine it brings tears from my eyes.

It will be an injustice on me to be blamed or for me to blame myself, I know the effort I have also made, I have always taken my studies serious, I never missed any lecture, I neither miss assignments nor tests, I sit at the front of the class, I don't keep bad gangs, I have never attended a party, sometimes I do RTDB (Read Till Day Break), what is then my offense? why me?

At the end of my 100 level Second semester my CGP was reading 4.2 without a single carryover, I was very happy because I thought I had scaled through the danger zone.

The unexpected occurred when I logged into the school portal at the end of my Second Semester Examination to check my result, I cleared all the courses with A's and B's but a course was reading Carryover, I nearly fainted when I saw the result, it was a biology course I offered in second semester to me the course was the simplest of all. I did not inform my parents because I din not want to dishearten them.

The school resumed, so I went to my HOD and complained, she took me to the Exam office who searched thoroughly for my script and from what I saw it was obvious I failed, I scored 32% and was asked to change department, my HOD advised that I go to Biological Sciences, my eyes were filled with tears.

How do I tell my parents this, it only mean I have brought shame to them. I have remained in school since then crying from one angle to another I don't know whether to go home to my parents to inform them of the truth or keep telling them lies.

Boy success in life has little to do with what you studied in school. There are hungry doctors everywhere same time there are highly successful people who studied some of those courses you are looking down on now. Pick one of those courses spend the four years and come out and face the real world. Four to five years down the line after NYSC you will see how right I was
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by AntiWailer: 12:02am On Jun 04, 2020
Summon courage and tell Maama.

She can manage things briefly.

Don't hurt yourself. Medicine is not the end of it all

I earn twice more than an average senior doctor per month and have capacity to earn more.

Please for Ur parent's sake. Don't do anything stupid.

You are the only one they look up to. Consider that before u take any decision at all.

May be u are not destined to be a Doctor and this is the only way God can save u the misery in the future.

You are brilliant and a cheap course messed u up. I won't see that as ordinary. I think u need to pause and run a new race academically.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by NigeriaB(m): 12:02am On Jun 04, 2020
Zoe99:
I feel so sad for you.In my 1st year in medical school,we had a couple of students who were due to enter their 300 level in another department but they left and started with us as freshers.It's not too late.You can still rewrite JAMB and this time,work harder.

Wow, you are a medical student?

Please what's your Instagram handle?
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by NigeriaB(m): 12:03am On Jun 04, 2020
sassysure:
Haba!
Thrown out on 100level

Which kain yeye school be this?

Why are they frustrating students?

Dats Medicine for you broda...

No mercy given.. Only few schools may ask you to repeat a class after failing..
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by ogbeni94: 12:05am On Jun 04, 2020
1. Tell your parents now before it's too late
2. Put in for a second choice course study if you haven't.
3. Try talking again with your Hod and see if you can repeat or worst call for that failed paper
4. Try writing another jamb to prepare for worst case scenario or make to sure to come out with good cgpa in any of the department you later settle for in other to apply for second degree in medicine (that's if you are still keen in studying medicine)

Dont even think of commiting suicide or any bad thing to yourself. You have a good future, sit down and plan it well. Pray, play and work

sagna112:

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Nobody: 12:05am On Jun 04, 2020
To be honest,you may feel bad now but the future holds a bountiful harvest.They will be pissed and disappointed,that's a.given but you will be fine and they will be proud of you.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Kpokakpoka(m): 12:05am On Jun 04, 2020
Amotolongbo:
@dear OP, Sagna112

I’m writing to you as someone who had passed through this kind of experience before. Mine was worse than yours. I will share the experience with you

Inform your parents on what is happening, they can’t beat or rebuke you

I was admitted to study pharmacy in 2006 at the great citadel, Obafemi Awolowo University. After my first session, I had 4 carryovers. Not as if I wasn’t serious or very dull, things just went in the way I didn’t understand.
I summoned courage and repeated the first year, taking only the 4 courses. I passed all and proceeded to 200level.
I repeated 200level and had to take all the courses again in my fourth year at the university. After the fourth year, I passed the courses though with resit in two courses. I promoted to 300level for the fifth year.
I repeated 300level and had to take all the courses in 300level in my 6th year at the university.

Finally, the worse came after my 6th year in OAU pharmacy school, it was a withdraw from the faculty of pharmacy to other faculty.
I wept and felt so bad as if that was the end of my life. Every thought in me had elements of suicide in it. But my parents were so aware, I called my mum who was at work immediately my course mate notified me of my fate. Dad had known earlier that day before me through one of our lecturers.

My parents stood by me and made sure I was happy and supported me financially, physically and spiritually until I was able to change my department to Geography in the faculty of Social Sciences.

I’m a Geography department graduate now and on a verge of being a registered Surveyor and I feel more happy and fulfilled than being a pharmacist

Being withdrawn from the medical school is not the end of life. There are billions of opportunities in other fields.

Please notify your parents now. They will know later, but they will feel more disappointed then than now.

She has said it all.....
I can relate to your story, maybe cause i finished from OAU too, and had friends with similar cases, most of which are graduates of other non-medical fields, and doing pretty well for themselves.
besides, I've put 2 and 2 together, and I think i might know who you are..."might" grin
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Bottompot: 12:07am On Jun 04, 2020
I feel your pain bro
I also failed a course in my first yr in med school, but according to our regulation I was given a second chance to repeat the yr. They shouldn't push you away like day, there should be a second chance. Besides, since you did well in other subjects there's high probabilities it might be a marking error. So don't relent bro, push for a remark if possible. You can involve high handed people you know, and I also advise you to tell ur parents in a subtle way. You can always reach me if u need someone to talk to. Don't worry, you'll get through this
08170381042 whatsapp
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by EMDIEY: 12:08am On Jun 04, 2020
sagna112:

Well you need all the supports you can get now. You see, what happened to you is a normal phenomenon in med school. Infact sometimes if it happens earlier it's milder and better than when you are neck-deep close to your finals, where even your enemies already accept defeat that u r a dr.
The issue is there is need for proper orientation of aspiring/prospective med students about the risks involved in the course, as well as parent so that they won't mount too much pressure on the children.
It's very easy to get withdrawn in medicine, I've seen genuses get thrown out over minor short falls in their expectation. In fact people thrown out in medicine usually become 1st class products in other departments with less effort than they put in medicine.
That's just by the way, as for the advice, you can't keep something like this away frm ur parents. Even if you do, for how long? For quick recovery, open up to them, tell them how it all happened. They will definitely be sad, but in the end they r still your parents, so they will understand. Don't start at this early stage living a life of denial, it won't get you far.
If u really believe you can do it, try and take another jamb to secure a place, then start afresh. Dont look at your previous mates, some of them will come back to u or later become ur junior. But if u must do this brace up for the ride, medicine is not for the chicken hearted. The road is very rough. The sciences are the easiest task in your path, when u start the pre clinical be ready for stiff competition. If u r lucky to escape then buckle up for the clinical.
All i've said is not to scare or discourage you, but to let you know the reality. Everything can be done if you know yourself and pray hard.
You can also decide to opt for other courses, afterall no be by medicine.
Wish you luck as u advance through life.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by karashita: 12:09am On Jun 04, 2020
Kpokakpoka:

If he could score 270 in jamb and post UTME....i would expect he does.

Guess you have a point there grin
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by NigeriaB(m): 12:09am On Jun 04, 2020
FlordFlorez:
100level with one carryover? I thought it would be a repeat. Which school if i may ask?

There are many medical schools that take you to another department straight without an option of repeat.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Fr33born(m): 12:11am On Jun 04, 2020
I dey suspect say na UNN do you this kind thing.

I no this will be very painful to your parents especially if they are not educated but what must be done must be done.
Just let them know with eyes filled with tears and continue with that course you were changed to. If you are not from a rich home and your parents struggle to pay your fees, please don't repeat jamb.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by DeusMagnus: 12:14am On Jun 04, 2020
othermen:
Don't tell your parent anything. Or you want to kill them too? Pretend as though you are still in school, collect money for books, get your school fee by yourself; use the money to drink and have all the fun you can, take drugs, just have fun. Never make the mistake of writing another Jamb or reapplying. Who studies biological science? You are far beyond that. In the next three years, go to wherever in Lagos and get a university MBBS certificate. Travel to the north, you will get a job. Pay your tithe. You will be forgiven for those that die in your care. It is their time_ right? The best Sir--+ and don't forget to hide or delete the diary where you said you are studying engineering. May you get the attention that you seek.
you mean he's chasing clout?
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Birniwa(m): 12:18am On Jun 04, 2020
othermen:

It may interest you to know that the North is now super super extra careful (if non at all) in employing people from the South and the East simply because Forgery, Deception, Fraud, Yahoo-Yahoo, Cultism, False Ownership of Certificates etc is biologically in your blood.

One doesn't need to argue with this because it's evident in your post above that what is being accused of you is true as you're in same way, advising someone to forge a certificate and travel down to North to get a job.

To the OP, in case you decide to heed with this lame advice, please be informed that this won't work anymore for anyone in case it has ever worked somehow for someone somewhere.

PS
OP there are missing dots in your story or simply it just doesn't add up. Nigerian University students usually get withdrawn from the faculty and advised to consider inter-faculty transfer at 200l going 300l. How comes this happens to you at just 100l even with GPA of 4.2? You should be a topper in your class sincerely. In other words, you're not truthful to yourself and don't really deserve any serious consultation.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by StubbornGENIUS: 12:18am On Jun 04, 2020
DeusMagnus:
you mean he's chasing clout?
Exactly!He modified the topic of his diary and deleted his posts

2 Likes

Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by FlordFlorez(m): 12:22am On Jun 04, 2020
NigeriaB:

There are many medical schools that take you to another department straight without an option of repeat.
but 100level is just a basic science courses now.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by MoIbrahim: 12:31am On Jun 04, 2020
There are many people who either left Medicine willingly or were withdrawn for being unable to settle there. Not their place. They later found there own place and are really really excelling.

For example, Chimamanda left Medicine. Now she is more than a doctor.

Pls don't waste your time. Find your own place, and touch the sky.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by X0012(m): 12:33am On Jun 04, 2020
From the sch I graduated from. You will be withdraw to other department if you fail to hit 1.00 GPA during the first semester of 100 level and withdraw from the university if you fail it to reach 1.00 again during the 2nd semester.
So u see? Different rules for diff sch

Period007:
U cannot be withdrawn after spending just a year and failing just one course.
I don't believe this ur story yet
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Babisha10(m): 12:45am On Jun 04, 2020
U haven't even gone far u can still rewrite jamb and make it, but try a different University.... Gud luck
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Speed123: 12:45am On Jun 04, 2020
Let me also share a similar but worse case than yours.
I got admission to study medicine in Unical in year 2000. I did my 100level by 200level ASUU went on very long national strike that lasted upto 3months or more.
When the strike was called off, the medical college immediately fixed the 2nd MBBS exams of my senior colleagues. They protested that they needed time to prepare for the exam since they hardly read at home during the strike. The college refused and that led to a serious altercation between the students and the medical college.
In order for the college to get back at the students they decided to rescreen everyone and the yardstick to pass the screening was for your name to be in the merit list, anything short of that you are out of Unical.
The truth is 80% of medicine & surgery students then came in via 2nd list and runs....I for myself paid about 35k then to work my admission into medical school.
I was screen out, all the exams I wrote in 200level I never saw the results. Some of my friends stayed back and wrote another JAMB. But I took the BOLD STEP to inform my Dad of the bad news, it was heartbreaking but we all got through it.
I didn't apply for medicine again, today I am a graduate of Economics and I will soon complete my masters.
After that incident I came to discover that I didn't have the calling to be a medical doctor because I can't stand the sight of blood or an open wound. God saved me from making that mistake.
My advice for you, go home bro. Pray and be bold enough to tell your parents, tell them the whole truth, don't hide anything. They would be the ones who would be comforting you.
Trust me nothing will happen to your father, give him hope, show him that you are ready to take the next step that your spirit and determination is still high.
Another advice, forget medicine, take up courses on ICT, computer software, programming, all that.
You can also go for Geophysics, it's a hotcake for oil companies that do drilling and exploration.
Pray about it and God will give you direction on what course to study but the clue is to follow your passion.
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Ktiti: 12:47am On Jun 04, 2020
sagna112:

My dear, pls let them know. Same thing happened to me. Had one of the best results in 100 level studying medicine but a particular course French made me withdraw as I had a carryover. Everyone knew I was studying medicine but when the news broke out, I had to tell my parents and changed my course.
How did they take it? Not so well but we are good now n I am a licensed medical laboratory scientist.

Don't worry if you cannot rewrite Jamb, you can pls switch course n u will be fine
Best of luck
Re: I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents by Jelzin2412(m): 1:06am On Jun 04, 2020
sagna112:

I'm so sorry you had to go through this...please email me and send your number across. We need to talk..

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

FG Submits School Reopening Proposal To National Assembly / What Was Your First GPA &now Your Current CGPA / Federal University Oye Ekiti Fees For Fresh Students: Extortion Of Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.