Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. (59763 Views)

My Genotype Is AS And My Fiancee Is AS; What Do I Do? / Parents Arrange Wife For Their 21-Year-Old Son Who Has SS Genotype / My Wife Lied About Her Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Mountaintops(m): 7:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:
I'm above mid thirties, finished NYSC 2015 and i just secured a government teaching job after spending more than 3 years teaching in private schools. I met my wife earlier 2019, she was in her final year in school, we dated throughout the year and planned to get married after she graduated. She graduated and we make a move for our introduction, then we suggested to have the marriage before she go for her Nysc so as to enable her serve in our home state as I already have a rented apartment to start a small family.

As we were planning for the marriage, we were also planning her NYSC. She was required to have a medical certificate for the NYSC which of course required blood test including genotype. She came back with the result of her genotype as AS. That was the only time I remember to take genotype issue serious. Even if I have some little knowledge about it before, I decided to research more about it on the internet and also met some of my friends who are medically inclined. I came to realize my own genotype test is also important at that moment. I might have done the test in school but I didn't pay attention to it usefulness so I don't remember the result.

I don't usually fall sick except for normal malaria when there is mosquito bite, never had a drip line in my body for once, never slept in a hospital bed, I don't have any reason to take note of my genotype or blood test.

Her results then prompt me to have my own test done too which came out to be AS also. By these periods we have convinced our families to choose a date for the marriage so that we can have the wedding before her NYSC. Marriage is to hold in a week time when I got my own genotype result.
From my further findings about AS and AS couple, I discovered how risky it is for their offsprings. I tried to explain to her but she turned a deaf ear, she alleged me of trying to break her heart at that critical period. She reported to her sisters they tried to blame me but I make them all realized it's not my fault because throughout my visitation and introduction to their family nobody has ever ask us about genotype. I am an orphan, I don't have any closer family to guide me except for my sisters who can't wait for me to get married because of my age, they also had never thought of it as well.

My wife sisters gave us some examples of older couples who were both AS with only one or no sickler among their children. My wife also made a threat of killing herself or she kill me if the marriage didn't hold. She even suggested we proceed with the marriage and break up after few weeks of marriage because of the shame that may follow if we stop the marriage or maybe she was desperate because of the marriage certificate, I don't know. I maintained my stand of backing off the marriage but she reported to my sisters also. Her sisters and my sisters later tried to encourage us to go ahead with prayers since we have chosen the date. We were advised not to disclose our genotype result to anyone again because people will discourage us.

Even though I was skeptical about the marriage, it later commenced with less spending because the Nikkah was held in a mosque and a tent for refreshments.
After the marriage we tried to talk about it, and she told me, she was afraid, may be she was pregnant before the marriage that's why she insisted on going ahead with the marriage. She also revealed to me that she was not happy with the decision as well, means she also know the implications but she have to avoid the shame of stopping the marriage after inviting guests to the occasion.

During these period genotype before the marriage, my love for her reduced drastically because of her desperation and her refusal to understand the risk we are about to take. I tried to avoid pregnancy from our first month of marriage but I later gave up and she conceived immediately. Now she is closer to her delivery. We hardly talk or play together inside. We only discuss about feeding, maternity and things to get for the coming baby.
I discovered we quarrel over little things that can be over looked by lovers. I'm not happy in the marriage, I spend most of time watching TV or stay outside all day because of unresolved issues.

I'm planning to arrange for a divorce after she delivered the baby because this is my first baby and I would love to have 2 or 3 kids more. I can't take the risk of allowing any of my children to be a sickler.
Advise is needed if my plan for divorce is a good one and do I stand a chance of loosing anything?
I think you were weak in decision making, you allowed emotions to becloud your sense of judgement. What I expected you to do was to either go ahead with the wedding and breakup immediately after the wedding or remain in the marriage if you are spiritually grounded because I've witnessed a case of a woman who God changed her genotype from AS to AA after series of confirmation test but this option is not for babies in spiritual matters.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Ejenavi18(f): 7:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
mrkia:
Sir, please, can you tell how viable the test is because we are suspecting this case of SS with my nephew presently whereas the Gyntyp test carried out for this 4years old kid w Sir, can you please tell us how dependable this test will be? becos we're suspecting this case of SS with my 4years old nephew who always exhibits the symptoms by complaining of pains in all his joints almost every month whereas the Gyntyp test carried out on him turned out to be AA. Mind you, his parents are very closed to perfect their divorce process now that they are aware they are both AS AS.

For the sake of clarity, let me replace my question. The boy's Gyntyp was done at a time he was over 3years and the test still seems suspicious like this. Don't you think the one that will be done for a foetus will not be reliable ? I need your answer s.

Of course, we're aiming@ repeating the test.
Amniocentesis is very reliable to determine genetic abnormalities. Amniocentesis make use of a sample of amniotic fluid from the baby and this fluid contains the baby's cells. These cells are then grown in the lab so genetic tests can be carried on them.

Chorionic Villus sampling is a relatively new test and there is not so much information on reliability as with amniocentesis. There is a suggestion that the CVS test may give a confusing result in a small proportion of cases, maybe one in 100.

For your nephew, please carry out the genotype test again. It might be that the result of the test done previously was inaccurate since you said he's exhibiting signs of a person with SS. I really do hope that he doesn't turn out SS.. Try a different lab just in case..
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Scholar212(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
You have made alot of mistakes and correcting it now is an expensive process, every one above 18 should know his or her Genotype and even discuss it while dating before it gets to marriage stage. See a gynaecologist to direct you on how to get a CVS test done and if the child is SS, better have a still birth done, you will regret ever giving birth to an SS child. You can take a trip to a sickle cell center and see for yourself, you will become a permanent visitor to the hospital with your child and all your salary will go into medical bills. Before she takes in again prepare to get the CVS/amioncentesis done by 2-3months of pregnancy and a safe abortion done in the hospital if foetus is SS until you have AS or AA pregnancy. Alternatively IVF can be done to only conceive an AA child which is very expensive and you may not be able to afford it.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:
I'm above mid thirties, finished NYSC 2015 and i just secured a government teaching job after spending more than 3 years teaching in private schools. I met my wife earlier 2019, she was in her final year in school, we dated throughout the year and planned to get married after she graduated. She graduated and we make a move for our introduction, then we suggested to have the marriage before she go for her Nysc so as to enable her serve in our home state as I already have a rented apartment to start a small family.

As we were planning for the marriage, we were also planning her NYSC. She was required to have a medical certificate for the NYSC which of course required blood test including genotype. She came back with the result of her genotype as AS. That was the only time I remember to take genotype issue serious. Even if I have some little knowledge about it before, I decided to research more about it on the internet and also met some of my friends who are medically inclined. I came to realize my own genotype test is also important at that moment. I might have done the test in school but I didn't pay attention to it usefulness so I don't remember the result.

I don't usually fall sick except for normal malaria when there is mosquito bite, never had a drip line in my body for once, never slept in a hospital bed, I don't have any reason to take note of my genotype or blood test.

Her results then prompt me to have my own test done too which came out to be AS also. By these periods we have convinced our families to choose a date for the marriage so that we can have the wedding before her NYSC. Marriage is to hold in a week time when I got my own genotype result.
From my further findings about AS and AS couple, I discovered how risky it is for their offsprings. I tried to explain to her but she turned a deaf ear, she alleged me of trying to break her heart at that critical period. She reported to her sisters they tried to blame me but I make them all realized it's not my fault because throughout my visitation and introduction to their family nobody has ever ask us about genotype. I am an orphan, I don't have any closer family to guide me except for my sisters who can't wait for me to get married because of my age, they also had never thought of it as well.

My wife sisters gave us some examples of older couples who were both AS with only one or no sickler among their children. My wife also made a threat of killing herself or she kill me if the marriage didn't hold. She even suggested we proceed with the marriage and break up after few weeks of marriage because of the shame that may follow if we stop the marriage or maybe she was desperate because of the marriage certificate, I don't know. I maintained my stand of backing off the marriage but she reported to my sisters also. Her sisters and my sisters later tried to encourage us to go ahead with prayers since we have chosen the date. We were advised not to disclose our genotype result to anyone again because people will discourage us.

Even though I was skeptical about the marriage, it later commenced with less spending because the Nikkah was held in a mosque and a tent for refreshments.
After the marriage we tried to talk about it, and she told me, she was afraid, may be she was pregnant before the marriage that's why she insisted on going ahead with the marriage. She also revealed to me that she was not happy with the decision as well, means she also know the implications but she have to avoid the shame of stopping the marriage after inviting guests to the occasion.

During these period genotype before the marriage, my love for her reduced drastically because of her desperation and her refusal to understand the risk we are about to take. I tried to avoid pregnancy from our first month of marriage but I later gave up and she conceived immediately. Now she is closer to her delivery. We hardly talk or play together inside. We only discuss about feeding, maternity and things to get for the coming baby.
I discovered we quarrel over little things that can be over looked by lovers. I'm not happy in the marriage, I spend most of time watching TV or stay outside all day because of unresolved issues.

I'm planning to arrange for a divorce after she delivered the baby because this is my first baby and I would love to have 2 or 3 kids more. I can't take the risk of allowing any of my children to be a sickler.
Advise is needed if my plan for divorce is a good one and do I stand a chance of loosing anything?
Didn't you have your Medicals during NYSC??
You served in 2015, what Genotype was written on your medical tests??
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 09, 2020
Fountainofyouth:
In all your write up, I was looking for where she forced you at gun point to marry her, but its not there, so why are you making it seem like it's her fault? You walked to the Nikkah, you were not dragged, so own it and stop the blame game,

Anyway, the deed has been done, stay with her till she gives birth, then talk to her to make her understand that the more you both stay together, there is a chance of birthing SS, I'll never advice adults to stay together knowing they are both AS to marry or whatever, so pls divorce her, you're saving multiple lifes if you do that.

P.S nobody should come here and say there are solutions to it, not everyone can afford $10,000 to $1,000,000 for a bone marrow or whatever they call it.
Only Divorce can solve this matter undecided
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2020
Lorazepam:
You have already married her bro
You can know the genotype of a child before the child is born
And to avoid SS children in future Do IVF or IUI, genotype of the child can be manipulated through that thats if your pocket fit carry am.
Only Divorce will solve this matter!
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2020
fieryy:
Op, YOU ARE TO BE BLAMED AS WELL!!!!

Did anyone force you to marry her? Why are you acting like you were a kid that was forced. It'd have been better, if you had ended things, instead of first getting her pregnant and now planning a divorce
Only Divorce will.solve this matter undecided
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Ofon0909(f): 7:32pm On Jun 09, 2020
There's nothing prayer cannot do. The first and second babies may not be sickle cell carriers. Just have two babies and stop there. If she started irritating you, then you had no reason to marry her. Well e hard to give advice for this kind matter oo. Wish u the best.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Dedonrukky: 7:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
Don't divorce your wife. Love and take care of your pregnant wife. She needs you more at this period of life. There are test to ascertain the genotype of a foetus. Forgive yourself, resolve issues with your wife and move on.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Supergirl19: 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2020
[quote author=FlordFlorez post=90443381]Ordinary to date, i'll ask for ur genotype. As a scientist that i am, i know how important that question is. Oga, u really bleeped up for not asking her before proposing.[/quote ] There are times when a guy who is AS carries on with the friendship thing for quite a while before making his intentions known to the girl by that time she must have already caught feelings and also time wasted...So is it advisable for a girl who is AS to do the asking ?,, or does it come off as being desperate. If yes when is the best time to ask
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by bigl: 7:55pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:

Bro, you are just being silly and i really don't mean to insult u but just take it as it is.

Imagine if u had done the geno test and u were told "erroneously" that u were AA, would u be bothered? What if later u now gave birth to SS (God forbid) afterwards? Would u have doubted your baby's paternity?

See, problems will always come and that is life!

We must develop the ability to tackle any issues that comes our way.

U have loved this woman before now and u have promised heaven and earth to each other... why back out now?

I have people who got married when geno test wasn't the "in thing" and they have dozens of SS and life is going on.

See, i have taken care of SS kids and I know how difficult it can be but u just must decide to face this head on since your wife is preggy.

U only have 25% chances of giving birth to SS and AA. Then 50% chances of giving birth to AS so calm the Bleep down!

I have one (my aunts) i'm still researching on and we are progressing in herbal solution.

Go and reconcile with that woman and ensure she is happy with u before she gives birth.

The knife don cut baby for hand! Throwing it away won't reverse or do anything!

U don score and for that, you should be grateful to God.

Some have been pouring in this thing for decades, e no turn to pin not to talk of baby.

Go back to your wife please and make that damn marriage work before i get koboko and wire your big head! grin

If you are bold enough to poke her to a state of pregnancy, be bold and daring enough to go all heads in!
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by chaloskyx: 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
what divorce so if the poor lady gives birth to SS you mean you would leave her to raise that child on her own knowing the struggles she would go through? you are wicked you had better own up to your mistakes and stick with that woman and make things work rubbish. next time you would be a man and maintain you ground or decision even if challenged. you have no excuse to leave her after all you knew what you were getting into and you choose to go that route stop blaming it on pressure have the balls to admit your weakness as a man you obviously have no back bone to maintain your ground once challenged
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by thorpido(m): 8:32pm On Jun 09, 2020
PastorFire:
Abortion is not safe for a sickler.
It's not the sickler that aborts,it is the woman carrying the foetus with her SS genotype.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by newdawn2017(f): 8:36pm On Jun 09, 2020
DeckXavier:
marry without children, haba. What's this abeg, what's the need for marriage??
really?? Yes u can marry without having kids. It's for companionship, for the love u share together, & d good sex is a plus my dear, u don't know anything. D first & soul reason should not be for children. My opinion though I will marry cause I want to be with that special someone for ever in love children is secondary .
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 09, 2020
newdawn2017:
really?? Yes u can marry without having kids. It's for companionship, for the love u share together, & d good sex is a plus my dear, u don't know anything. D first & soul reason should not be for children. My opinion though I will marry cause I want to be with that special someone for ever in love children is secondary .
sorry, but this is bullshit.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by mrkia(m): 8:52pm On Jun 09, 2020
Ejenavi18:

Amniocentesis is very reliable to determine genetic abnormalities. Amniocentesis make use of a sample of amniotic fluid from the baby and this fluid contains the baby's cells. These cells are then grown in the lab so genetic tests can be carried on them.

Chorionic Villus sampling is a relatively new test and there is not so much information on reliability as with amniocentesis. There is a suggestion that the CVS test may give a confusing result in a small proportion of cases, maybe one in 100.

For your nephew, please carry out the genotype test again. It might be that the result of the test done previously was inaccurate since you said he's exhibiting signs of a person with SS. I really do hope that he doesn't turn out SS.. Try a different lab just in case..
Thanks.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Grateful02(m): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
OP you're putting much blame on your wife. If majority goes by the way you're thinking it means SS children should be disowned at birth, NO!!that's not it. Should you stick to your plan of having 2-3 kids, I bet you won't regret it.
Avoid the divorce,Stop the resentment and show your wife the needed love!!!
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by nanauju(f): 9:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
janvier27:
I thought there is now a test that can be done at a stage in pregnancy to determine the genotype of the foetus, and know what options are there before birth if it turns out to be SS.

It's extremely expensive. The average Nigerian cannot afford it except the person is comfortably rich
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by ahmedsaniadamu(m): 9:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
don't ever think of divorcing her because since before the evolution of genotype our elders life leave everything to God
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by traceman: 9:20pm On Jun 09, 2020
This is unfortunate my brother,u should have took a decisive conclusion before going for the marriage.similar case happened to my uncle,he just spent 4million in Indian to revive his sickle cell daughter
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 09, 2020
give me my gun! op must be fire
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by buoye1(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2020
janvier27:
I thought there is now a test that can be done at a stage in pregnancy to determine the genotype of the foetus, and know what options are there before birth if it turns out to be SS.
Chief, no be pregnancy test o...that shit is expensive sir
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by Solatium(m): 9:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:

I will encourage you to go for a second test to reaffirm what you were given.
I have heard about error in results as a result of mixed up samples or something.
Try go have at least one more test from another laboratory before you take any decision.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by FlordFlorez(m): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2020
[quote author=Supergirl19 post=90491770][/quote] Im not sure if i get ur question, but this's my inputs: Any of the two could ask sure question. And it should be taken as a regular question we ask at early stage of relationship. Like the popular ones such as ur age; ur academic level; ur state of origin; ur position in ur family, etc.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by mechanics(m): 9:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
Assuming you did Biology in secondary school, you should have known what is called genotype, that's how I learnt about at first, divorce is not a good thing, it will be in history that you are a divorcee, just settle the issue amicably with her in peace and don't have much children so you won't have issues taking care of them due to the issue at hand.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by causimalbarka(m): 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:

Without checking your profile, I know this a female voice.
This is how majority of you always sound.
If I come come over here to seek for an advise during those period, people like you will ask me to go ahead without thinking of the implications.
Did you see me mention that I'm perfect? I'm a career also, AS. If I have known this earlier, I will insist on a relationship with only AA. Please, I can't stand any negative comments this moment as I'm a kind of guy that will never give a damn about your derailing opinion. I believe so much in God's will as well human personal endeavor to achieve whatever you desire. Gbogbo epe to ba she, o ma pada so ri e ni.
I bring out my story for others to learn ni. Only God knows what will happen later as I'm only contemplating divorce which I have not done yet. How many SS children have you helped to survive if you want people to continue breeding sickler?

Egbon! The truth is bitter, I don't know about her gender, but I'm 100% sure of mine.

My brother! I'm not here to insult, or rain curses on u, though me and my wife did compatibility test 3month after she said yes, so I know how faith from scratch.

But brother! Only God knows what will happen, why not carry ur cross and be happy, enjoy what Allah has given to u, and accept anything that come out of it as blessing be it SS or AS.

I understand u, be man enough, your wife need u now more than ever, please make her happy and forget about divorce, find the good in her and count the genotype issue as a mistake from both side.

Wa man tawakal ala Allah fal yasbu, in ever put his trust in Allah will never regret.

Ogundoyin is an SS, even the AA in his town are proud of him..

I pray God guide u aright and help u to the end..

Seek no more advice, it will keep hurting u more, bear ur cross, make your woman happy
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by stormborn28(m): 10:17pm On Jun 09, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Ordinary to date, i'll ask for ur genotype. As a scientist that i am, i know how important that question is. Oga, u really bleeped up for not asking her before proposing.
thank you my brother.. I don't know.. I always demand for this thing but some girls do take offense in it
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by ThinkSmarter: 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:

Don't be discouraged by the bullshit you read here.
U only have the chances of having one sickler in 4births.
U may have 6children and only one will be a sickler.
Elrufai is a sickler after all.
Switch off the genotype mentality and enjoy your marriage like our fathers.
U may be AA and AA and still give birth to child with downsyndrome or Parkinson's disease.
U can't stop nature from having a defect.
Go and watch Sadhguru's mystic videos on YouTube and get enlightened
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by eneyoduke(m): 10:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
Types of Genotype

The genotypes in humans are AA, AS, AC, SS. They refer to the hemoglobin gene constituents on the red blood cells. AC is rare whereas AS and AC are abnormal.
Genotype Compatibility Chart
Study this table below carefully:
AA + AA = AA, AA, AA, AA (Excellent)
AA + AS = AA, AS, AA, AS, (Good)
AA + SS = AS, AS, AS, AS, (Fair)
AA + AC = AA, AA, AA, AC. (Good)
AS + AS = AA, AS, AS, SS, (Very Bad)
AS + SS = AS, SS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
AS + AC = AA, AC, AS,SS. (Bad; Advice needed)
SS + SS = SS, SS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
AC + SS = AS, AS, SS, SS, (Very Bad)
AC + AC = AA, AC, AC, SS. ( Bad; Advice needed)
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by maasoap(m): 10:41pm On Jun 09, 2020
ZeroShenanigan:

You have taken the risk already. Just be hopeful.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by FlordFlorez(m): 10:42pm On Jun 09, 2020
stormborn28:
thank you my brother.. I don't know.. I always demand for this thing but some girls do take offense in it
if they like, infact, its part of my regular question i do ask them.
Re: Genotype: The Reason For My Unhappy Marriage. by oyejideogunjumo: 10:46pm On Jun 09, 2020
THE DEED IS DONE.PRAY AND HOPE NOT TO HAVE SS.SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE ON HOW TO HAV JUST TWO CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT SS AND BE CONTENDED WITH THAT.THE TWO OF YOU MADE THE MISTAKE SO FORGET THE PAST AND REKINDLE YOUR LOVE.YOU HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO,JUST STARTING

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Pius Angbo: Channels TV Reacts To News Of Their Staff Who Beat Up His Wife / Connect With Someone Born On The Same Month & Day You Were Born! / Hear What A Mother Told Her Daughter On Her Wedding Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.