Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,557 members, 7,812,783 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33288 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by wisdomline: 11:22am On Aug 24, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone

Please house , my birds are having watering eyes this days, I believe it's corrizer and I had removed the white something inside but yet situation remain the same , I had tried all I know but seems I cannot help it in need help, and do not want to get the drugs ,want to restrict my practice to organic .

Pls, I need urgent help before situation is out of control

Better morning All.

Coryza appears to be the order of the day in my farm too. I have lost a handful of birds to this menace. I don't have any scientific proofs for the cause, but I'm thinking it might be due to the still air around this time. The rains have stopped suddenly, and the air in the atmosphere has been still and very cold.

In addition, I dug up to understand that Coryza is an acute infectious bacterial disease. Hence, there is a need to separate the diseased fowl(s) from the healthy ones. It's just like isolating a sick person at the hospital, whilst the rest of the birds, though not sick, would be treated preventively against the disease.

I administered drugs, but in some cases, I lost some of them.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 11:33am On Aug 24, 2020
mojid22000:

grin grin grin
If the egg has undergone the 21 days incubation
They will surely hv gone bad
Abi o!
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 12:57pm On Aug 24, 2020
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2020
wisdomline:

Better morning All.

Coryza appears to be the order of the day in my farm too. I have lost a handful of birds to this menace. I don't have any scientific proofs for the cause, but I'm thinking it might be due to the still air around this time. The rains have stopped suddenly, and the air in the atmosphere has been still and very cold.

In addition, I dug up to understand that Coryza is an acute infectious bacterial disease. Hence, there is a need to separate the diseased fowl(s) from the healthy ones. It's just like isolating a sick person at the hospital, whilst the rest of the birds, though not sick, would be treated preventively against the disease.

I administered drugs, but in some cases, I lost some of them.

Never encountered this though
But I think isolating the sick birds is the first important thing to do
Then combine ampicillin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline
Little quantity in a spoon mixed with little water and give once a day for five days

And since I learnt about the power of neem leaves, I usually get plenty leaves, dry them then crumble it with my hands and mixed with the chicken feed for about a week in every month

It's been doing wonders
Goodluck to us all

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by taiwoowiat: 10:40pm On Aug 24, 2020
Please I need local chicken in ibadan. Kindly dim me on Whatsapp 08o6698262six
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 1:13pm On Aug 25, 2020
Good Day Everyone

I want to appreciate everyone's in this thread,and more appreciation to every contributors in this group...May God increase us all.

Big thanks to Azarina and Jidestroud for coming to I and my chick rescue , I mean from saving us from disaster of corrizer .

I removed the mucus and injected lime juice as prescribed, and repeat same thing everyday this is day four and I had free 3 out of eight birds in isolation, and the others are also improving. I will say this organic treatment of lime work fine for corrizer..

Tomorrow is day five of treatment, can I continue with the treatment after tomorrow if am not satisfy with situations of other in isolation?

This is one of the sick bed, and it's the most affected , I thought the eyes has spoiled before start of lime treatment,because it real swell and blocked

1 Share

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 2:05pm On Aug 25, 2020
I forgot to say I do had lime juice to all my birds drinking water because I was late late to isolate, so almost all of them are affected ......I only isolated the very effected ones . But all of them are improving together , and pox on their body is also disappear gradually

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 2:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 5:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
@GafarOlatunji, thanks for the lovely review. Now the treatment for coryza is off our remedy list
It's amazing to know Nature has cure for most diseases.

Pictures of your birds should have done justice to their ailment
CoryZa and pox can be difficult to identify for those who don't know.

...... Whe

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
When any bird is down with disease, we isolate, clean the environment and treat all
Biosecurity is a must, you miss that, you will pay

As mr jide said let's take precautions while handling sick birds and wash hands before and after visiting the pen

2 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by wisdomline: 5:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good Day Everyone

I want to appreciate everyone's in this thread,and more appreciation to every contributors in this group...May God increase us all.

Big thanks to Azarina and Jidestroud for coming to I and my chick rescue , I mean from saving us from disaster of corrizer .

I removed the mucus and injected lime juice as prescribed, and repeat same thing everyday this is day four and I had free 3 out of eight birds in isolation, and the others are also improving. I will say this organic treatment of lime work fine for corrizer..

Tomorrow is day five of treatment, can I continue with the treatment after tomorrow if am not satisfy with situations of other in isolation?

This is one of the sick bed, and it's the most affected , I thought the eyes has spoiled before start of lime treatment,because it real swell and blocked

Oga, @GafarOlatunji,
May I ask the process of removing the pus/mucus?
Thanks.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
@GafarOlatunji

Fowl pox comes with blisters on the head while coryza comes with swollen head filled with mucus.

To treat fowl pox organically, gather tridax procumbence weed, squeeze out the juice & give them for 5 days. Also, rub PKO on the blisters.

To cure coryza organically, press out the mucus & inject lime juice into the flesh of the head. Also, give them to drink. It will go away gradually.

These 2 diseases are highly infectious.

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 10:51am On Aug 26, 2020
Good Morning All

@Wisdomline , the process is by trying to open the eyes gently and locate the mucus ,and gentle press and remove it, and make sure non is left in the eye....This is why all of my isolated birds are not fine yet, when I remove the mucus some still remain inside and I do not see it probably some of the swallon place are not soft/ripe at the time, so the following day if I see watery eyes I check the bird eyes again and remove the remaining, once everything is remove the birds watering eyes will stop in short time.

@Azarina, Thanks for putting more light , everything started with pox , and I had been applying (jelu) and later palm canel oil....and the first two affected birds got better, but I do not isolate while treating them. Isolation is very important and will not do the mistake again.

I got the weed this morning and I had apply as prescribed but I do not apply pko as am rushing to work this morning but I will do later in the day, and I will report the outcome also

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by wisdomline: 1:45pm On Aug 26, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good Morning All

@Wisdomline , the process is by trying to open the eyes gently and locate the mucus ,and gentle press and remove it, and make sure non is left in the eye....This is why all of my isolated birds are not fine yet, when I remove the mucus some still remain inside and I do not see it probably some of the swallon place are not soft/ripe at the time, so the following day if I see watery eyes I check the bird eyes again and remove the remaining, once everything is remove the birds watering eyes will stop in short time.

@Azarina, Thanks for putting more light , everything started with pox , and I had been applying (jelu) and later palm canel oil....and the first two affected birds got better, but I do not isolate while treating them. Isolation is very important and will not do the mistake again.

I got the weed this morning and I had apply as prescribed but I do not apply pko as am rushing to work this morning but I will do later in the day, and I will report the outcome also

Thanks @GafarOlatunji for sharing this piece of exciting news. I guess PKO means Palm Kernel Oil (Adia-agbon), right?
I will try do as advised. Hopefully, they get better.
Thanks once again!
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by nams77: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good Day Everyone

Abeg which specie of fowl be this? Here to learn
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by nams77: 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2020
Azarina:
@GafarOlatunji

Fowl pox comes with blisters on the head while coryza comes with swollen head filled with mucus.

To treat fowl pox organically, gather tridax procumbence weed, squeeze out the juice & give them for 5 days. Also, rub PKO on the blisters.

To cure coryza organically, press out the mucus & inject lime juice into the flesh of the head. Also, give them to drink. It will go away gradually.

These 2 diseases are highly infectious.
What is tridax procumberance? Any local name pls
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2020
Before I learnt the name is tridax procumberance
Na rabbit food I dey call am
Rabbits like this plant
Maybe that's why my rabbits never get sick grin grin
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by All4good: 11:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
Farouq94:

Thank you Sir, pleased to have you here.

Hello Mr Farouq.
Can we chat on phone? I need some items outsourced from the north. Thanks sir.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 9:11pm On Aug 27, 2020
POULTRY FARMING: PAWPAW SEEDS CAN CURE POULTRY DISEASE

A section of EAST African poultry farmers are now using crushed pawpaw seeds to cure intestinal worms and the fatal Coccidiosis chicken disease responsible for over 50 percent of poultry deaths after a visit from a Togolese farmer where the practice has been perfected.

To cure worms, scientists gave chickens three grams of powdered papaya seeds for every kilogram of live weight. This dose was repeated for two days. Treating coccidioides requires a higher dose over a longer period of time. Chickens were cured with 3.5 grams of powdered papaya seeds for every kilogram of live weight, given for six consecutive days.

“It was a disaster no one would want to relive. I personally lost close to three quarters of my 300 chicken that I relied on for my income and that of my household. It is a tragedy that I have never recovered from even financially because I had invested a lot on it. But the pawpaw seeds discovery has not only assisted us with the medicine but inspired sale of pawpaws which is picking up well,”said Herve Komi a Togolese farmer.

Avian coccidiosis is the most costly and wide-spread parasitic disease in the poultry industry, and has been mainly controlled by the use of chemotherapeutic agents. But the disease is particularly hard to contain once there is an outbreak, because of the emergence of drug-resistant strains.

The farmers crush the seeds and either mix them with the poultry feed or water. “I give my chicken a dose twice a day, in the morning when am feeding them, and also mix it with water late afternoon.

Source: FarmbizAfrica.com

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 9:34am On Aug 28, 2020
Good day everyone

Sorry for late response @wisdomline yes it's (Adin-Agbon) . Hope your birds are coping with treatments?

@nams77 The birds posted are noilers .

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by impeccablephili: 10:08am On Aug 28, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone

Sorry for late response @wisdomline yes it's (Adin-Agbon) . Hope your birds are coping with treatments?

PKO means Ororo Ekuro or Adin dudu while Coconut oil means Adin agbon

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by wisdomline: 12:23pm On Aug 28, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone

Yes. Only about four with swollen heads are remaining. So, I must carry out that 'surgery' on them.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2020
Good day everyone

Today makes it day four of tridax procumberance treatment for fowl pox, it's a success news I will say because the total birds are 21 and all are affected due to late isolation, only 3 birds remain sick yet, and on of them is almost out because everything looks dry but I want it try more before I remove the the dark dirty that covers the wound .

The remaining sick birds not showing sign of improvement yet , the eyes are still watering, I clean it everyday and remove mucus, am thinking maybe I will go back to coryzer treatment for this birds from tomorrow.

Some multivitamins will be necessary from after tomorrow to rest their system from stress of sickness and medication......can anyone please recommend organic multivitamins?

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2020
Wonderful testimony
For the ones that are ok, give them water to flush the system of the herbs them in the afternoon give them basil extract (efirin) this serves as antistress and appetite stimulator
Next day replace with pawpaw leaveextracts(lleave) serves as vitamin

Remember, don’t bombard them with so much herbs. Keep up Biosecurity

For the sick ones, maintain hygiene while dealing with them please
give basilextract or ginger, garlic and tumeric extract (no recconstitution). Use syringe to administer 5times a day 1ml
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 5:39pm On Sep 06, 2020
Good day all and happy weekend

More picture to prove effect of Tridat protuberance for treatment of fowl pox.

Pls, I need organic remedy for calcium

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2020
Good testimony
Grounded eggshell is used to subtitled for calcium or you get lime from feedmill
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day all and happy weekend

More picture to prove effect of Tridat protuberance for treatment of fowl pox.

Pls, I need organic remedy for calcium

Mr GafarOlatunji haba na!!!
What were you looking at that it got so severe to that point initially? angry angry. Let's be thankful anyways. And for record purpose, if you have to introduce birds into same environment, know you will have to deal with fowl pox. Try as much as possible to sanitize the whole of your environment biko, I beg you.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 7:43am On Sep 11, 2020
Good day everyone

My noiler birds are 57 days today, their average weight is 700g while the biggest is 1kg and another one 900g, The smallest is 500g

This is my first time of raising noiler, please house is this weight normal, because I expect more......I want to know if I need to improve on something
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 19, 2020
jethro2:

With what do you powered your semi automatic incubator?
Just saw your post now on Facebook and decided to search for jethro2
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mfm04622: 5:57pm On Oct 01, 2020
Farouq94:
I fixed up my locally made semi-automatic incubator yesterday with some eggs from the farm. I will be accumulating the eggs weekly and then be doing staggered hatching in the incubator.

The first batch of eggs are in, I’m excited for the process.

Can you please give contact details of the manufacturer of the manual incubator? Also, what is the smallest one they produce?

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by strenghtt: 1:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Nigerfine3: 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello house,
Can Noiler be allowed to free range
If not, what is the best male to cross female Noiler to make the offspring free range
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

#poultrybusiness: The Secret Vet Doctors Are Hiding From You. As Poultry Farmer / Grains Price Update From Northern State / GBFoods Completes ₦20billion Tomato Processing Factory In Kebbi State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.