Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33599 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 11:59am On Aug 06, 2020
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 1:56am On Aug 07, 2020
jidestroud:

My brother, you need to see me setting rats poisoned indomie everyday. It's a constant procedure for me around my brooders and cages inclusive. Just some few weeks back, I had to wrestle one out of the grasp of one which had already killed a 4 month old Kuroiler and broken the leg of the one rescued. Come to think of it, I prefer snakes grin.

Thought I was the only one battling rats ���
They can kill a year old chicken if you allow them
Useless creatures
Rat poison and traps and cat is the only combi-solution
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 10:22am On Aug 07, 2020
jidestroud:

My brother, you need to see me setting rats poisoned indomie everyday. It's a constant procedure for me around my brooders and cages inclusive. Just some few weeks back, I had to wrestle one out of the grasp of one which had already killed a 4 month old Kuroiler and broken the leg of the one rescued. Come to think of it, I prefer snakes grin.

A 4 month old chicken? Wow! Poison is not an option for me, I can’t risk the livestock or the chickens eating it. I guess I’ll just have to populate my farm with cats, I’m already scouting for kittens
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2020
mojid22000:

Thought I was the only one battling rats ���
They can kill a year old chicken if you allow them
Useless creatures
Rat poison and traps and cat is the only combi-solution

Cats are the best. The person that stole my cat will know no peace! I was told hunters also shoot cats down at night. We were finally rid of rats for months.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by popoopeyemi: 10:54am On Aug 08, 2020
A friend of mine got just 5 Brahman last year and look at where he is today...I'm so proud of this.
They're in Lagos, Maryland.

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by brendan007: 12:52pm On Aug 08, 2020
Farouq94:
I had wanted to start breeding guineas last year when I bought 300 eggs. Unfortunately, I got them from a bad source, half of them were bad (improper storage), I took them to the hatchery and got very bad results. I think I ended up with about 40 keets at the end, of which I had a very high mortality rate.

At the end I ended up with 14 grown guineas, more than half were male

How can I identify a female?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by samuelgodson(m): 2:02pm On Aug 08, 2020
Farouq94:

Cats are the best. The person that stole my cat will know no peace! I was told hunters also shoot cats down at night. We were finally rid of rats for months.
can't dogs do d trick
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by pheonixdld2(m): 2:52pm On Aug 08, 2020
Can I see a picture of the kerosene lamp incubator.....please direct me on how you achieved it.
mojid22000:
I love this thread
I actually made a kerosene lantern incubator using cartons out of curiousity
One hen abandoned her eggs so I was really curious if I could hatch the eggs after reading about the kero incubator
To God be the glory I hatched 2 eggs out of 4.
One egg got spoilt and maybe i was too excited not to candle the other egg well. When disposing it it had a dead chick in it
Though I love the experiene and will incubate again in the future
My two chicks hatched on the 19th day, I think most local hens do that cos of the small size of the eggs cos my broody hen hatched all nine eggs on 19th day too
Though she didn't get up much cos I had food and water by her side
My incubator chicks are 3 day old now
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by pheonixdld2(m): 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2020
How much is this?
babyboy4every1:
Does your Incubator look like the ones below. This is one is dual. It uses electricity as well as lantern. How do you regulate the temperature. For someone that is not always around, do you think, he/she can use the kerosene one. I blif if the temperature is too much and i wasn't around what do you think will happen
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Nigerfine3: 1:31am On Aug 09, 2020
Farouq94:

Please don’t cat eat chicken eggs, do you think snail eggs are safe with cats?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:40am On Aug 10, 2020
brendan007:

How can I identify a female?

Identifying is a bit difficult. I use the wattles and the helmet to identify them. Look at the picture below. The males usually have larger wattles and bigger helmet, and the females have flat/very small wattles and their helmet is smaller compared to the males.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:42am On Aug 10, 2020
samuelgodson:
can't dogs do d trick

I don’t think dogs catch rats. Even if they do they won’t be as effective because of their size.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by brendan007: 8:24pm On Aug 10, 2020
Farouq94:

Identifying is a bit difficult. I use the wattles and the helmet to identify them. Look at the picture below. The males usually have larger wattles and bigger helmet, and the females have flat/very small wattles and their helmet is smaller compared to the males.

Alright thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by HyAccent: 10:15am On Aug 12, 2020
Great Job you guys are doing here. Breeding local chicken is a business I stumbled upon some years back. My mother in-law gave my daughter 3 of these local chicken. I have tried poultry in the past broiler, cockerel those things are worse than a jealous girlfriend, they take lots of time and any simple mistake and negligence will always result in serious loses. So I've said I will not do anything chicken again. So I didn't know what to do with the ones my in-law brought. But since my house then had a large fenced compound. I set them free expecting them to die or wander off guys I was wrong. These chicks are born survivors they do not need much attention. The breeder in me came out I brought out some drugs I still have at home deworm them, gave them multivitamins and started cleaning their cage and feeding them. I later bought a cockerel for them.

To cut a long story short they started laying eggs and one thing I did is when they hatch I always remove both mother and chicks and keep them in a spare room I had because of eagles.
I usually sell the roosters at the Igando market @ N1000 each and before long I stopped looking for buyers them no dey gree me rest. I no dey even see am chop self (guyz have I mentioned how sweet the meat tastes with rice stew?) I was making occasional 10K, 15k. I was already thinking of doing it full scale but, life happened I had to relocate to Ibadan disposed of the chicks and I have forgotten about it. Till I saw this thread yesterday. Honestly I have learnt a lot.

Thanks and God bless you guys.

@Farouq94 Where is you farm located? If you Dont mind I'd like to visit.

3 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by wisdomline: 12:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
popoopeyemi:
A friend of mine got just 5 Brahman last year and look at where he is today...I'm so proud of this.
They're in Lagos, Maryland.

Hello,
I need two point of lay female. How much? I'm based in Ilorin.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by All4good: 3:00pm On Aug 12, 2020
Farouq94:
I fixed up my locally made semi-automatic incubator yesterday with some eggs from the farm. I will be accumulating the eggs weekly and then be doing staggered hatching in the incubator.

The first batch of eggs are in, I’m excited for the process.

Wow you just re-motivated me to give chickens another shot in my animal husbandry.

I did Noiler birds two years ago and the experience breeding just 50 DOC to 2kg was a disaster with feed prices increasing weekly within 2 months.

And then it wasn't as maintenance free as the Goats and Sheep's I now breed.

I will be following this thread to learn with you on your research
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 5:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
Farouq94:

Oga Farouq, if one needs fertilised Guinea eggs, can you supply... will like to start hatching them
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by popoopeyemi: 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
wisdomline:

Hello,
I need two point of lay female. How much? I'm based in Ilorin.
available sir

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by SoftHeart(m): 11:19pm On Aug 12, 2020
popoopeyemi:
available sir
Please are these pure or crossbreds?
I would like to get a rooster and 2 hens. Could you deliver to Akure and at what price?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by popoopeyemi: 11:24pm On Aug 12, 2020
SoftHeart:

Please are these pure or crossbreds?
I would like to get a rooster and 2 hens. Could you deliver to Akure and at what price?
Yes they are pure breed..
You can chat me up on WhatsApp for videos
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by SoftHeart(m): 11:30pm On Aug 12, 2020
popoopeyemi:

Yes they are pure breed..
You can chat me up on WhatsApp for videos

All right, thanks.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:46pm On Aug 13, 2020
HyAccent:

Thanks and God bless you guys.

@Farouq94 Where is you farm located? If you Dont mind I'd like to visit.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it was very refreshing to read.

My farm is located in Kano. Currently I have my incubator at home, so I hatch and brood the chicks at home for 10-14 days then take them to the farm.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2020
All4good:

Wow you just re-motivated me to give chickens another shot in my animal husbandry.

I did Noiler birds two years ago and the experience breeding just 50 DOC to 2kg was a disaster with feed prices increasing weekly within 2 months.

And then it wasn't as maintenance free as the Goats and Sheep's I now breed.

I will be following this thread to learn with you on your research

I was just discussing this yesterday with a friend. I think the bulk of the work is when they are chicks, but once they are able to scavenge for their feed, they almost take care of their selves, with little manpower.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:55pm On Aug 13, 2020
chukskafor:
Oga Farouq, if one needs fertilised Guinea eggs, can you supply... will like to start hatching them

I buy from the open market so I can’t guarantee their viability. I bought 100 the last time, came back home and candled them all before putting in an incubator, I found 16 bad ones. And this was after I sat down in the market to pick the freshest ones.

Maybe next year when I have my own breeding stock, I can start selling fertilized eggs/keets.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Nigerfine3: 9:52pm On Aug 13, 2020
@Farouk,
Or any one, does cat eat eggs from the chicken or could it be used to guide them from rat and family
Thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 12:07am On Aug 14, 2020
Farouq94:

I buy from the open market so I can’t guarantee their viability. I bought 100 the last time, came back home and candled them all before putting in an incubator, I found 16 bad ones. And this was after I sat down in the market to pick the freshest ones.

Maybe next year when I have my own breeding stock, I can start selling fertilized eggs/keets.
Ok bro, let's keep our fingers crossed till then.
But how much are they selling at the open market per crate?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:21pm On Aug 14, 2020
chukskafor:
Ok bro, let's keep our fingers crossed till then.
But how much are they selling at the open market per crate?

They usually sell at N1,200/crate
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2020
Nigerfine3:
@Farouk,
Or any one, does cat eat eggs from the chicken or could it be used to guide them from rat and family
Thanks

Cats do not eat raw chicken eggs, we use them to scare off/eat rats that disturb our chicks.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 6:38pm On Aug 14, 2020

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 7:01pm On Aug 14, 2020
jidestroud:

Cats do not whaaaat? Mine pushes eggs off the crates to crack it. You know what follows next... (fortunately, it was just one of the cats that exhibited this demonic behavior angry )
It took weeks of beatings & threatenings before it stopped the wicked act. angry angry angry
Oh! How I miss my cats cry cry cry

Lol. I guess it was a troublesome cat. Even when there are cracked eggs, my will cats will never touch it. And they sleep near the eggs crates.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Are84(m): 10:56pm On Aug 14, 2020
Kudos to you for coming up with this educative thread.

*Can I cross male Noiler with female Noiler?*
* What is the cost of running the lantern for 24hrs?*
* Like how many hours will the lantern last when filled with kerosine before it can be refilled?*

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Multi-million Dollar Coconut Plantation Destroyed In Akwa Ibom – Gov Emmanuel / Fish Farming And Pig Farming: Which Is More Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.