Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,269 members, 7,829,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33571 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 9:33am On Aug 15, 2020
Farouq94:

They usually sell at N1,200/crate
Oh i see; was actually thinking of venturing into the sales and supplying of it over here but the price is a little at the high side
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 7:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
Hi everyone
It's been a while
How are ya chickens doing
Mine are doing fine and eating much
4 hens laying presently
One just hatched 3 babies out of 13 eggs angry

I do give them house fly larva sometimes cool
They all liked it
Rat reduced but you still see them running around
Hard to get rid creatures grin
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2020
mojid22000:
Hi everyone
It's been a while
4 hens laying presently

They all liked it

Thanks for breaking the silence
What are you feeding them with if I may ask
Mine are free range. I feed them with kitchen waste
I'm dealing with cat or dog at night
So now I make sure they all sleep in the cage

I wonder why you have unhatched eggs. Check if the eggs are still fertile, if they are, add it to the nest of the laying ones
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 9:01pm On Aug 21, 2020
@ farouq94

bro hope you are good?
Thread is suddenly gone cold to the extent i searched the agric forum from page one to five for this article to no avail, it used to be at the top front page in agricland before now.
Have to go through my mentions to dig it up.
Just say something, let's know that all is well with you
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by SoftHeart(m): 9:52pm On Aug 21, 2020
mojid22000:

Just an experiment oo
Not a standard incubator

I got a larger carton, put an indomie carton in it, cutting open one side.
I line the bottom of the indomie carton with a towel.
Put a lantern on the opposite side facing the side I cut opened
I placed the thermometer/hygrometer on the towel to measure the temp and humidity, that was like a day before placing the eggs
I had small water in a plactic placed beside the lantern
I regulated the lantern till I got the ideal temperature 100.5 but it fluctuates a lot even after been stable for a long time so putting an eye on it is a must
Turned eggs three time a day
Raised humidity to 60% on the 18th day, though it has always fluctuated between 48 and 52%
Ibhad a hard time raising it but I did it and to my surprise the eggs pipped on the 19th and hatched on the 20th

Will build a better one in the future by God's grace
I have forced air incubator in mind.

Greetings,
Please how do you ensure fresh air circulation in the incubator?
Did you left the bigger carton opened or closed?

Also, how are the chicks from this incubator performing currently?

Thanks in anticipation for your response.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 9:51am On Aug 22, 2020
Good day everyone

Please house , my birds are having watering eyes this days, I believe it's corrizer and I had removed the white something inside but yet situation remain the same , I had tried all I know but seems I cannot help it in need help, and do not want to get the drugs ,want to restrict my practice to organic .

Pls, I need urgent help before situation is out of control

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 10:50am On Aug 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 10:51am On Aug 22, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone

Please house , my birds are having watering eyes this days, I believe it's corrizer and I had removed the white something inside but yet situation remain the same , I had tried all I know but seems I cannot help it in need help, and do not want to get the drugs ,want to restrict my practice to organic .

Pls, I need urgent help before situation is out of control

To cure coryza organically, press out the mucus & inject lime juice into the flesh of the head. Also, give them to drink. It will go away gradually.

Always isolate any sick bird.

Maintain good hygiene always
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
Azarina:

Thanks for breaking the silence
What are you feeding them with if I may ask
Mine are free range. I feed them with kitchen waste
I'm dealing with cat or dog at night
So now I make sure they all sleep in the cage

I wonder why you have unhatched eggs. Check if the eggs are still fertile, if they are, add it to the nest of the laying ones

The eggs went bad, only had a dead chick
The previous gem laid 9 eggs and hatched 9 chicks

I buy grower feed for my chickens
They can't free range cos of the neighborhood
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 7:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
SoftHeart:

Greetings,
Please how do you ensure fresh air circulation in the incubator?
Did you left the bigger carton opened or closed?

Also, how are the chicks from this incubator performing currently?

Thanks in anticipation for your response.

There should always be a small opening that serves as a ventilator, cut out a small opening at both sides of the carton to make the air circulate
And the carton should be closed

Thanks for asking, my chickens are doing great
I hv put them in the cage with the rest but they always seperate themselves from the rest
They are about 5 weeks and 3days
They looked bigger than the ones hatched a week before them
I think maybe its because they have a cockerel father

When my noilers start laying
I plan to build a larger incubator with 5v fan and experiment with that, still looking for a bigger carton that can take up to 50 eggs
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by SoftHeart(m): 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2020
mojid22000:

There should always be a small opening that serves as a ventilator, cut out a small opening at both sides of the carton to make the air circulate

I hv put them in the cage with the rest but they always seperate themselves from the rest

I plan to build a larger incubator with 5v fan and experiment with that, still looking for a bigger carton that can take up to 50 eggs

Thanks. I will do that.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 10:10am On Aug 23, 2020
mojid22000:

The eggs went bad, only had a dead chick
The previous gem laid 9 eggs and hatched 9 chicks

I buy grower feed for my chickens
They can't free range cos of the neighborhood

CCan I see your cage please
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 10:15am On Aug 23, 2020
mojid22000:

Please at what age do cockerel start mating?
Is it indoor or outdoor mating?cos I heard cockerel can't endure that marathon courtship race

Lastly, does size matters in mating? I want to make sure the cockerel are not overweight
Thank you
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 12:12pm On Aug 23, 2020
Azarina:

Please at what age do cockerel start mating?
Is it indoor or outdoor mating?cos I heard cockerel can't endure that marathon courtship race

Lastly, does size matters in mating? I want to make sure the cockerel are not overweight
Thank you

In textbooks, it is good to allow your cockerels reach 1 year before you use them to mate
But in real life one the cockerels start crowing from like 6 to 7 months, they ll start mating
Especially when they are free ranging
Me wey dey go work, Na im ho dey monitor when them go mate

Size matters sometimes
That's why they breed broiler breeders specially to a specified weight by not overfeeding them
But for local chickens and noilers
It's hard to overfeed
Most times they ll leave the food to waste sef unlike broilers, that can eat till eternity
And from textbooks too, they say 8 to 10 hens per cock is ok
I agree cos I only keep one cock for all my hens
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2020
Azarina:

CCan I see your cage please

My cages were actually built for rabbits
Later used for chicks
2ft by 3 ft. In 6 places
I only put chicks there
After one month they start roaming the compound
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2020
mojid22000:

My cages were actually built for rabbits
Later used for chicks
2ft by 3 ft. In 6 places
I only put chicks there
After one month they start roaming the compound

Luckily you, i guess your floor is not cemented
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 4:25pm On Aug 23, 2020
jidestroud:

My brother, you need to see me setting rat poisoned indomie everyday. It's a constant procedure for me around my brooders and cages inclusive. Just some few weeks back, I had to wrestle one out of the grasp of one which had already killed a 4 month old Kuroiler and broken the leg of the one rescued. Come to think of it, I prefer snakes grin.
Bro,these are not the regular mice they are the rats with long mouth which are said to have poisonous venoms. The Yorubas call them "Asin"
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 4:33pm On Aug 23, 2020
mojid22000:

In textbooks, it is good to allow your cockerels reach 1 year before you use them to mate
But in real life one the cockerels start crowing from like 6 to 7 months, they ll start mating
Especially when they are free ranging
Me wey dey go work, Na im ho dey monitor when them go mate

Size matters sometimes
That's why they breed broiler breeders specially to a specified weight by not overfeeding them
But for local chickens and noilers
It's hard to overfeed
Most times they ll leave the food to waste sef unlike broilers, that can eat till eternity
And from textbooks too, they say 8 to 10 hens per cock is ok
I agree cos I only keep one cock for all my hens

6-7months is long for Cockerels to start crowing and mating while my local cocks takes 5 months. I thought cockerel.. Are... Better
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Azarina: 4:35pm On Aug 23, 2020
Olayinka777:

Bro,these are not the regular mice they are the rats with long mouth which are said to have poisonous venoms. The Yorubas call them "As in"

Throw lime or tagiri on the floor. They will run
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 4:37pm On Aug 23, 2020
Azarina:

Throw lime or tagiri on the floor. They will run
Oh really wow
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 4:53pm On Aug 23, 2020
Folks,can we pls talk about nutrition for our local birds. The cost of feeding them is really putting holes in my pocket. Can we come up with cheap & healthy feed formulas for them?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by lilkech(m): 5:56pm On Aug 23, 2020
mojid22000:
Hi everyone
It's been a while
4 hens laying presently

They all liked it

Anytime your hens lay a lot of eggs and hatch just a few out of them you should not throw the rest out yet. Sir of the night be having embryos that are almost fully developed.

To know which ones are still good to be hatched, just pack all the eggs and put them in a bucket of water.

Let the bucket sit still first, then drop the eggs into the bucket like 3 at a time. Look closely at the eggs and watch them for 3 mins.

If there’s an active embryo in any of the eggs you will notice that particular egg ‘jerking’ or ‘shaking’ very softly (or violently depending on how advanced the embryo is)

Once you notice this, take out the live eggs and dry them off to be replaced under another brooding hen. Crack and fry the rest of the dead (un-fertilized) eggs.

Remember eggs are live breathing organisms so don’t leave them soaked in water for more than 5 mins or they will die

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 6:10pm On Aug 23, 2020
lilkech:

Anytime your hens lay a lot of eggs and hatch just a few out of them you should not throw the rest out yet. Sir of the night be having embryos that are almost fully developed.

To know which ones are still good to be hatched, just pack all the eggs and put them in a bucket of water.

Let the bucket sit still first, then drop the eggs into the bucket like 3 at a time. Look closely at the eggs and watch them for 3 mins.

If there’s an active embryo in any of the eggs you will notice that particular egg ‘jerking’ or ‘shaking’ very softly (or violently depending on how advanced the embryo is)

Once you notice this, take out the live eggs and dry them off to be replaced under another brooding hen. Crack and fry the rest of the dead (un-fertilized) eggs.

Remember eggs are live breathing organisms so don’t leave them soaked in water for more than 5 mins or they will die

Oga! Fry whaaaat!? Eggs that have undergone incubation! Na wah o! Na so eggs cost reach for market?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by lilkech(m): 7:10pm On Aug 23, 2020
Olayinka777:

Oga! Fry whaaaat!? Eggs that have underdone incubation! Na wah o! Na so eggs cost reach for market?

Why waste good eggs? Not all laid eggs get fertilized in every brood.

You can’t boil them so why not fry? Forget whatever you see when you crack open the eggs, so far there’s no strain of blood in it then fry ahead.

The finished product will look and taste good.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by jidestroud(m): 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 8:52pm On Aug 23, 2020
jidestroud:

I'm quite familiar with shrews, unfortunately, this one na confirmed pouch rats aka okete in Yoruba. The ones I see around are almost the size of a cane rate (oya in Yoruba).
Wow grin
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 8:55pm On Aug 23, 2020
lilkech:

Why waste good eggs? Not all laid eggs get fertilized in every brood.

You can’t boil them so why not fry? Forget whatever you see when you crack open the eggs, so far there’s no strain of blood in it then fry ahead.

The finished product will look and taste good.
Hmmm I can't o! Heard similar thing from a friend back in Makurdi years ago when we had a mini poultry then. I still find it disgusting though.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2020
Olayinka777:

Oga! Fry whaaaat!? Eggs that have underdone incubation! Na wah o! Na so eggs cost reach for market?

grin grin grin
If the egg has undergone the 21 days incubation
They will surely hv gone bad

2 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by mojid22000: 9:09pm On Aug 23, 2020
lilkech:

Ok thanks
But only one had a dead chick inside
The rest are bad, filled with stinking liquid

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by moyin2009: 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2020
@Farouq94, thanks for this thread. More grace to you.

@popopeyemi, please I need a cock and hen of this brahman breed.

@Softheart where is your farm in Akure.

@QTLC I will like to see some of the video.

@Farouq, what is d cost of the incubator.

WhatsApp08145288299
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by moyin2009: 10:44pm On Aug 23, 2020
@farouq94, please kindly let me see the picture of the incubator. Thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by SoftHeart(m): 11:12pm On Aug 23, 2020
moyin2009:

@Softheart where is your farm in Akure.
Actually, I don't have any farm, I'm a first-timer with no prior background in agriculture. I'm currently using my backyard for the birds to free-range.

Also, I'm actually experimenting with the birds and they're for family consumption for now, maybe I may start a farm later for commercial purpose if this work out well...

I guess you have a farm in Akure right?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Multi-million Dollar Coconut Plantation Destroyed In Akwa Ibom – Gov Emmanuel / Fish Farming And Pig Farming: Which Is More Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.