Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33474 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 5:39pm On May 30, 2023
The short term goal is to measure how much feed they will consume, how many eggs and chicken I will have in the next 6 months and determine the market value.

Also, right now they are on a diet of millet, guinea corn, maize and wheat offal.

I am coming up with a feed ration that will include layer feed and some greens for them to forage on and get some much needed micro-nutrients.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2023
Feed has been mixed and the chickens love it. I did a mix of layer mash, maize offal, rice bran, wheat bran, millet and guinea corn.

An approximate cost of N13,000 was spent for 65kg of feed. There are still ways to cut this down but because they have been free-ranging for a long time with no supplemental feed, I want them to bulk up fast before I reduce the crude protein to maintenance level. With a total of 17 chickens, we’ll see how long the feed lasts.

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by CodeTemplar: 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2023
Farouq94:
Here are some pics (I have attached only a couple pics but its saying “entry too large”
There is a Chinese guy in YouTube that is doing what you are asking about. I cant remember his channel.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 8:29pm On Jun 03, 2023
CodeTemplar:
There is a Chinese guy in YouTube that is doing what you are asking about. I cant remember his channel.

Let me know when you do, thanks!

Btw if anyone knows where I can get duckweed and azolla let me know please.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 9:56pm On Jun 06, 2023
[quote][/quote]A major plus to where I moved the chickens to is how rich it is in SFRB (scavenging feed resource base). I had fattened some cattle earlier, and even after we packed all the cow dung, the soil has become very rich in organic matter.

The rain is finally here so when the soil gets wet, it becomes “alive” again and a great breeding ground for insects. The chickens head straight to the cattle posts when they are let out to free-range. They mostly dig up the soil for maggots and they go crazy for it.

I love watching them in action…
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 10:02pm On Jun 06, 2023

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by CodeTemplar: 1:57pm On Jun 07, 2023
Farouq94:

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjYLYulALs
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjYLYulALs

Thanks! 70k chickens free-range?! Thats huuuuge, and encouraging. I like the part where he mentioned locusts as feed, that saves him a lot in feed. His environment is his major competitive advantage here.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Masterkleenlaun: 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2023
Farouq94:
Feed has been mixed and the chickens love it. I did a mix of layer mash, maize offal, rice bran, wheat bran, millet and guinea corn.

An approximate cost of N13,000 was spent for 65kg of feed. There are still ways to cut this down but because they have been free-ranging for a long time with no supplemental feed, I want them to bulk up fast before I reduce the crude protein to maintenance level. With a total of 17 chickens, we’ll see how long the feed lasts.

Pls give us breakdown of the food u mix together and in what proportions too...
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by KiranSardar: 8:00am On Jun 09, 2023
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:54pm On Jun 09, 2023
Masterkleenlaun:

Pls give us breakdown of the food u mix together and in what proportions too...

I mixed 25kg of Layer mash, 25kg maize bran, 5kg rice bran, 5kg wheat bran, millet and sorghum grain 5kg. Everything mixed together has an estimated 13.4% crude protein.

You can always look around and see the feed ingredients you have close to you that is cheap and nutritious to the chicken and mix it in, thats what I did.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 12:04am On Jun 10, 2023
Farouq94:
Two weeks later, the birds have acclimated to the new environment and have started laying. I brought in a total of 15 hens and 2 roosters, and left the rest on the farm.

So far we have 16 eggs, most of the hens are first time layers so I’m expecting an “eggs-plosion” in the coming weeks.

20 eggs later, three chickens went broody. Unfortunately thats one of the disadvantages of leaving the clutch of eggs. The natural instinct of the chicken to brood kicks in. Mind you, these eggs were not laid at the same time so some embryo’s had already formed whilst some eggs were still fresh.

I had to take everything away and put them in the incubator because the eggs not hatching at the same time means the chicken is going to abandon the nest as soon as the first batch hatches.

More chickens started laying today and this time we don’t leave the eggs in their nest so I expect much more eggs.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Masterkleenlaun: 10:15pm On Jun 10, 2023
Farouq94:

I mixed 25kg of Layer mash, 25kg maize bran, 5kg rice bran, 5kg wheat bran, millet and sorghum grain 5kg. Everything mixed together has an estimated 13.4% crude protein.

You can always look around and see the feed ingredients you have close to you that is cheap and nutritious to the chicken and mix it in, thats what I did.

Thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Masterkleenlaun: 3:36pm On Jun 11, 2023
Farouq94:

20 eggs later, three chickens went broody. Unfortunately thats one of the disadvantages of leaving the clutch of eggs. The natural instinct of the chicken to brood kicks in. Mind you, these eggs were not laid at the same time so some embryo’s had already formed whilst some eggs were still fresh.

I had to take everything away and put them in the incubator because the eggs not hatching at the same time means the chicken is going to abandon the nest as soon as the first batch hatches.

More chickens started laying today and this time we don’t leave the eggs in their nest so I expect much more eggs.

Pls. I need local chickens in bulk.., I don't want to buy front the market cos they said the ones from the market are always afflicted with different diseases....what is your source or can I get like 20 local chickens from you for a start?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 9:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Masterkleenlaun:

Pls. I need local chickens in bulk.., I don't want to buy front the market cos they said the ones from the market are always afflicted with different diseases....what is your source or can I get like 20 local chickens from you for a start?
If you are within Edo state, I can supply you that
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 4:33pm On Jun 13, 2023
Masterkleenlaun:

I do not sell currently. I have been breeding mine for a while now so they have acclimated to the environment.

Thats true, buying from the market is very risky. If you are not buying from a single flock/farmer, I do not advise buying 20 at the same time.

If your only option is the open market, there are still ways to select the best breeds, then isolate and medicate them accordingly before letting them free-range or mix with your other poultry,
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 8:30pm On Jun 13, 2023
Just candled the 20 eggs I put in the incubator, as expected they are all in different stages of development because the laying and the brooding chickens kept sharing the same next, and 5 embryo’s died as a result.

So I’m left with 15 developing embryo’s, in 3 different stages. I expect the first batch to hatch by weekend. The rest of the chickens have finished molting and are starting to lay.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 7:48am On Jun 14, 2023
Farouq94:

I must commend that you are doing a good work & you are so open to help others out

Well done & may God continue to bless you more than you expect in Jesus mighty name..
I am an experience farmer too

Please WhatsApp me on 08120528950 to give you contact of a lady who can sell both duckweed & azolla to you.

I produce BSF maggots from rabbits waste, poultry waste, fruits waste, brewry waste,pkc slog etc for my local chicken and ducks
I give them dry & fresh Moringa leaves too as vitamins and minerals

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Masterkleenlaun: 2:31pm On Jun 15, 2023
Farouq94:

I do not sell currently. I have been breeding mine for a while now so they have acclimated to the environment.

Thats true, buying from the market is very risky. If you are not buying from a single flock/farmer, I do not advise buying 20 at the same time.

[/b]If your only option is the open market, there are still ways to select the best breeds, then isolate and medicate them accordingly before letting them free-range or mix with your other poultry,
[b]

Pls explain the ways to select the best breeds and then isolate/medicate them accordingly.
Thanks
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Masterkleenlaun: 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2023
chukskafor:
If you are within Edo state, I can supply you that

Thanks...I'm nt in the area.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:18pm On Jun 15, 2023
BoluwGoldenFarm:

I must commend that you are doing a good work & you are so open to help others out

Well done & may God continue to bless you more than you expect in Jesus mighty name..
I am an experience farmer too

Please WhatsApp me on 08120528950 to give you contact of a lady who can sell both duckweed & azolla to you.

I produce BSF maggots from rabbits waste, poultry waste, fruits waste, brewry waste,pkc slog etc for my local chicken and ducks
I give them dry & fresh Moringa leaves too as vitamins and minerals

Thank you very much. I will send you a message now.

Yes growing BSF maggots is a cheap way to supply chickens protein. I looked into it a while back and
unfortunately BSF is not native to my environment, and growing them in an enclosure is not sustainable for me.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:36pm On Jun 15, 2023
Masterkleenlaun:
[b][/b]

Pls explain the ways to select the best breeds and then isolate/medicate them accordingly.
Thanks

There are a lot of ways to do that, but in a market-setting they might not let you set them free to observe.

First observed the physical appearance, the chicken should have a bright red comb, the legs must be clean and not scaly, blow under the feathers to observe if there are no mites. Then check the vent area, it should be clean, if you see poop in the feathers around the vent area, its most likely a sign that the chicken has diarrhoea. The chicken should also be “heavy” and active when you pick it up.

After observing that, I also like to keep the chicken (they are usually tied up) on the ground and watch it for a few minutes. Sometimes what these sellers do when you go to buy chickens is to agitate the chicken and shake it very well, pressing it to show you that it is healthy. But when you keep them on the ground or in the cage and leave them for a few minutes, if its sick it will most likely close its eyes to sleep or huddle in one corner.

There are other things that you might not figure out if you’ve not kept chickens before, like determining an old spent hen and a young hen.

About medication, I think I have written about natural antibiotics before in the thread, moringa, aloe vera and neem are very powerful in combating diseases. In any case that you observe a sickness, you can visit a vet to get broad spectrum antibiotics and vitamins to treat accordingly.

If anyone else has anything to add or correct, please feel free to share.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by chukskafor(m): 3:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
Masterkleenlaun:

Thanks...I'm nt in the area.
Ok, regards
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 9:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
The next batch of eggs went in the incubator today. I packed a total of 27 eggs but one cracked, so I ended up with 26. Total eggs gotten so far 20 + 27 = 47 eggs.

The eggs come in different shapes, sizes and color. Usually a pure indigenous chicken lays white eggs, but mine are a mix of white, brown and cream because they have been cross-bred over time.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by idrisaleo1: 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2023
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by IamAsiri: 8:08pm On Jul 06, 2023
Farouq94:
Just candled the 20 eggs I put in the incubator, as expected they are all in different stages of development because the laying and the brooding chickens kept sharing the same next, and 5 embryo’s died as a result.

So I’m left with 15 developing embryo’s, in 3 different stages. I expect the first batch to hatch by weekend. The rest of the chickens have finished molting and are starting to lay.

Please, where did your get your incubator from?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by iamwalexab(m): 2:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
I bought my first Fulani cock and hen yesterday from Kwara, I’m glad to welcome them to my small farm. I have 2 female Noiler that’s laying egg already. 1 local hen that just hatch and one local cock too.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by ssfarmsng: 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2023
Farouq94:
Here are some pics (I have attached only a couple pics but its saying “entry too large”

Of course, it's economically viable to breed local chickens in a commercial scale. At SS Farms (http://www.ssfarms.ng/products/poultry/), we implement free ranging for our local chickens, to reduce operating cost.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
Farouq94:
The short term goal is to measure how much feed they will consume, how many eggs and chicken I will have in the next 6 months and determine the market value.
The 65kg feed I made lasted for 40 days and during that time I got a total of 166 eggs. There are still ways I’m exploring to get feed costs down. So far so good, I believe this is a viable venture especially if you have a farm/large space.

My focus is now on commercializing this operation with the addition of my a new brooder with an automatic temperature control for the chicks that are hatching.

Hopefully I will be sharing milestones once in a while on here. For now, Adios!

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 6:55pm On Jul 17, 2023
IamAsiri:

Please, where did your get your incubator from?

Locally constructed in Kano.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by IamAsiri: 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2023
Farouq94:

Oh, okay.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by JustAboyy: 8:47pm On Jan 03
Farouq94:

Good evening sir, how did your experiment went,

Please share pictures from the chicken farm.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Pepper Farming In Nigeria: A Graduate That Sells Pepper (Video) / How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Multi-million Dollar Coconut Plantation Destroyed In Akwa Ibom – Gov Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.