Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage (25595 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Partners With Innoson On Mass Transit (Photos) / Army Withdraws Security From Akwa Ibom Government House, Governor Udom Cries / Akwa Ibom Government Responds To APC Request For Use Of Stadium For Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 30, 2020
…..NLC threatens industrial action

There is a general feeling of discontentment among workers in Akwa Ibom State over the reduction of the minimum wage by the state government.

This development has delayed the payment of June salary in the oil-rich state and there are strong indications that workers would down tools in the coming days.

Vanguard gathered that the state government slashed the wages to be at par with what the federal government is paying its workers, a development which has infuriated workers and organized labour in the state.

A senior civil servant told Vanguard that “print out is yet to be sent out. It is when it’s out and returned before salary is paid, but circular on the reduction has been issued by the state government and it has not gone down well with workers”.

State Chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Elder Sunny James, accused the state government of unilateral downward review of the minimum wage without the knowledge of labour.

According to him, organized would meet today (Wednesday) and thereafter write to the state government to refund the money deducted or risk industrial action.

He said, “We had a meeting on May 15 and May 26 on the subject and labour said it would be wronged for the salary of workers to be deducted.

So, labour was not consulted and not aware of any approval to deduct the salary as such we are waiting for the full salary to be paid.

“The state government decided to review the minimum wage unilaterally and therefore NLC call on them to refund the money deducted or risk industrial action in the state.”

James maintained that the general well beings of the workers was paramount and would resist any attempt by the government to shortchanged them.

He debunked insinuations that the labour was dancing to the whims and caprices of the state government, adding that it would not shirk in its responsibility to engage the government on workers’ welfare.

Commissioner for Information, Charles Udoh said the reduction in the salary was a result of the dire economic situation in the country apparently occasioned by the Coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/06/fear-grips-workers-as-akwa-ibom-govt-reduces-minimum-wage/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by JAOS(m): 5:04pm On Jun 30, 2020
instead of government to help the people during this pandemic they are causing more hardship on them

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
Udom Gabriel Emmanuel must be joking.. why can't politicians take paycut?

We are being rule by clowns..psychopathic clowns who think for themselves and lack human feelings...imagine paycut in this crisis.

32 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by supercase1(m): 5:19pm On Jun 30, 2020
Nigeria a country without a head hand and tail

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2020
If this is true then am sure it will be resolve before payment commences ...but so the state civil workers were earning more than their federal government counterparts?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by realstars: 5:29pm On Jun 30, 2020
Udom Is Working, When They Where Collecting Higher Than Federal Govenment, Nobodey Talk No One Shout.
Now The Govenment Sayed, Let There Be Equall Right And Justice, They Will Bring It For Us To Help Fight For Them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 5:35pm On Jun 30, 2020
Op, they have not started cutting the salary...you don go rush the post news you never verify

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Golan007: 5:44pm On Jun 30, 2020
grin
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by doggedfighter(f): 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2020
Reducing wage that is not even enough.
Not even sure they pay promptly.

What will a common man do?

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Ilaumoh(m): 6:01pm On Jun 30, 2020
realstars:
Udom Is Working, When They Where Collecting Higher Than Federal Govenment, Nobodey Talk No One Shout.
Now The Govenment Sayed, Let There Be Equall Right And Justice, They Will Bring It For Us To Help Fight For Them.
Honestly am surprised the were earning higher than federal government...its wow. But I trust Akwa Ibom it will be resolved but utill then this is another fake propaganda news by bigoted journalists...

9 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Ilaumoh(m): 6:02pm On Jun 30, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Am sure you are mental
So vanguard is not a good source or u have issue with comprehension or you're a fed govt worker who is jealous of state govt workers or a useless asslicker... tell me,which are you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 6:11pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Am sure you are mental
I guess he his lol

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by realstars: 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Honestly am surprised the were earning higher than federal government...its wow. But I trust Akwa Ibom it will be resolved but utill then this is another fake propaganda news by bigoted journalists...
The Diduction Could Be True, I Know A Friend Who Is A Worker There Who Have Told Me About The Pland Reduction That Stalld The Payment
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2020
TheRealProphet:
So vanguard is not a good source or u have issue with comprehension or you're a fed govt worker who is jealous of state govt workers... tell me,which are you.
Must everybody work for government or are you that jobless..so if Nigeria media report something you go run believed then you be mumu then

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hunchogee:

Must everybody work for government or are you that jobless..so if Nigeria media report something you go run believed then you be mumu then
Seriously!! you now presume that I am jobless? wow...Mr Jobfull weldone..the govt u are asslicking care less about you...find your type and exchange words with...las las u go dey alright

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 6:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
realstars:
The Diduction Could Be True, I Know A Friend Who Is A Worker There Who Have Told Me About The Pland Reduction That Stalld The Payment
Am not surprise bro but let them start cutting the salary before reacting by condemning them. Sometime government actually propose things like that to see workers reaction and finally don'ttrust Nigeria medias ..let me shock you, how dubious Nigeria media can be ...
Do you know that the thread I posted about the untapped islands of Akwa Ibom state?
Is every where now in the nigerian media....the lazy media house reported my news without contacting me .
Find proved below

9 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Hunchogee: 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
TheRealProphet:
Seriously!! you now assume that I am jobless? wow...Mr Jobfull weldone...find your type and exchange words with.
Atleast the message is sent ....get off your stinky shoes

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Ilaumoh(m): 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hunchogee:

Leave him bro...he is an retarded wimb
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hunchogee:

I can feel your pains bro, your content was not copyrighted so the media can use it without your permission....you can bark like a dog but I don't give a fvuk about you...fuvk off my mention dude.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 30, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Leave him bro...he is an retarded wimb
Son of buhari weldone..may d disaster buhari inflict on Nigerians fellow you till eternity... btw u and that dead meat seller I no know who get sense...
cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Slawormir: 6:46pm On Jun 30, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Houseofglam7(f): 6:46pm On Jun 30, 2020
undecided
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by SaintZionist: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
~.~
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Sammy07: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
Hunchogee:

Why do you like defending the government?

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by IMO01: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
hmmm
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by radiolover(m): 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
Which fear?
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by Ajuwon036: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
JAOS:
instead of government to help the people during this pandemic they are causing more hardship on them
alright
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by my2chains(m): 6:48pm On Jun 30, 2020
It shall be well with all of you reading this,

from today you all shall be blessed without measures!

Your cups shall flow unimaniginably well!

Op you shall live a ripe fruitfull old age,
your life is blessed

peace!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by calenxio: 6:49pm On Jun 30, 2020
Where are those that claimed this governor is working. He is simply diverting the money meant to pay workers to do those projects.
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Reduces Minimum Wage by ForeThinker: 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2020
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Joy Nunieh: I Resisted Akpabio’s Oath Of Secrecy To Commit Fraud At NDDC / 2023: SWAGA Kicks As APC Leadership Recognises PCG, A Pro-Osinbajo Support Group / Patricia Etteh To Be Called To The Nigerian Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.