Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) (41841 Views)

See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. / How To Make Ofe Nsala (white Soup) / How To Make Ofe Nsala (White Soup) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by zmpp(f): 1:36pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:
for a second I thought I had quoted a sensible person earlier. Smh

The statement was from the person I quoted, or didn't you see where I said "according to her."
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Tapout(m): 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2020
tomorrow u will hear pocohantas has signed a deal with maggi or a food production company, u go dey there dey wonder how e take happen...nice one poco cheesy wetin dey sweet me pass na say u dey represent the culture well...u be the real Nwa Mazi, Ada Igbo. No be all those ones on IG that only know how to make shawarma and egg roll grin

Cc: mariangeles come let's eat.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2020
FloraEC:

Anambra
But stayed in Enugu for 6yrs. I always buy abacha from abacha joint in trans-ekulu

The enugu/ imo abacha has taken over. Anambra abacha must be prepared with ogiri and not Everybody like ogiri.
Also, u use crayfish and lots of dry meat or fish. Many odds against it cheesy
Not surprised it is going extinct.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by ursullalinda(f): 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2020
FloraEC:

Heard it thicken soup and also darken it. Dunno if it's true, never used

Won't bother......ede is still fine by me.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 05, 2020
zmpp:

The statement was from the person I quoted, or didn't you see where I said "according to her."
in as much as there's no correlation between bravery and thuggishness, I expect you to own up to your assertion because they are your conclusions and hers.
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by adeniyi65(m): 1:44pm On Jul 05, 2020
At least this one is far more better than the one someone posted as poison soup some weeks ago
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by JONNYSPUTE(m): 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:
oga she never said it was the best, she loved it for its uniqueness.
.....Mr White Knight,where did you see best in my comment?

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by zmpp(f): 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:
in as much as there's no correlation between bravery and thuggishness, I expect you to own up to your assertion because they are your conclusions and hers.

Shut up if you can't read and understand. You are obviously one of the thugs.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Chuukwudi(m): 1:46pm On Jul 05, 2020
Iheechi my angel. Come and read with me.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 05, 2020
ursullalinda:

We are together on this.......don't know what the achi might taste like thou but I have never used it.

Achi is something my people don’t (didn’t) traditionally eat (even though the trees are many in my hometown). Children would pick these and use them to play games. My cousin had more than 1000 seeds once, lol. The seeds would also be sold to ndi mbana (people from outside our place).
I learnt about eating achi as a soup type from my Imo and Abia friends.
But of course everybody eats everything now, with tradition mixups (for example ndi obodo ayi traditionally don’t eat nni akpu, instead they eat nniji and nniede, even a combination of the two, but of course I know many people now eat the akpu, one can buy okpa in places far away from Agbaja land now, etc)
Back to achi, it is also cheaper than ede or egusi, and this places it automatically on the menus of many Igbo families, whether they would traditionally eat it or not. I have never eaten it but the seeds are beautiful. They look like ukpaka, but are very much smaller.
Ogili is for ede and abacha in my place, but I think there is a slightly different ogili for each. Hardened/mature oha leaves or oha’s sibling, utulukpa would be used to make ji “agwol’agwo” (my grandma used to do this).
Ogili is a must for ede and abacha in the food gospel of agbaja people.
But there are cheap seeds that my people traditionally eat- akpalata and okobo. Not many people would know these I guess. The former look like trebor sweets and the latter like black ping pong balls. I never tasted them though but I know them as home food. I have only ever eaten and do eat okra plus ogbono with ugu, and egusi with either ugu or onugbu. No other soup have I known.
My people also would cook a pounded cocoyam leaf, or mpoto ede soup. It is a very, very old, almost extinct soup type- ofhe mpoto. Maybe for ndi ozo, like something called ighu. I cant describe this one well, it somehow looks like corn flakes but I don’t know the crop it is made from. It used to be prepared like abacha but with more basic ingredients- akanwu, salt, pepper, palm oil. It was a special food, revered by ozos. Not sure if mpoto was revered by ndi ozo though.
(I know quite some traditional stuff o cool).

@OP, I am sorry for derailing some, and then more, but your food is beautiful. I enjoy your food threads. I especially love that they are traditional foods cool. You would make a killing owning a restaurant outside Nigeria! I have read two, will look out for more.
Like you I think onion doesn’t go with soup. I would not eat soup with onions at all (even if only used to season the meat).

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by sonnie10: 1:49pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Yes, that is why I addressed the hardness part. I saw lots of Yorubas complaining the leaves were so hard. I was shocked, oha that I can remove all from the stem with one sweep. No jokes. cheesy

So, I had to put a guide for them.

Some people would just go pluck the hard leafs that the plant is supposed to use for photosynthesis for their Oha soup. Wrong!

The edible ones are the tender new sprouts, from the tips of the stem, best plucked in the morning or late evening and used within say day.

These little details are important.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2020
JONNYSPUTE:
.....Mr White Knight,where did you see best in my comment?
oga you be olodo sha, you said ezeagus abacha are the best, you faulted her for saying abachas made in anambra are better than those in enugu, what does that mean to you?
When a person points out a faulty way of reasoning, it's for your own good that you learn rather than trying to shame the person by using derogatory terms. Mr black knight.
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by pocohantas(f): 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2020
Tapout:
tomorrow u will hear pocohantas has signed a deal with maggi or a food production company, u go dey there dey wonder how e take happen...nice one poco cheesy wetin dey sweet me pass na say u dey represent the culture well...u be the real Nwa Mazi, Ada Igbo. No be all those ones on IG that only know how to make shawarma and egg roll grin

Cc: marian geles come let's eat.

I actually wish I can learn to make shawarma and the likes, I do well with local dishes- that is all I saw my mum cook.

Oh, someone actually contacted me from here for content generation, been so lazy to keep up with videos. embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by pocohantas(f): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
adeniyi65:
At least this one is far more better than the one someone posted as poison soup some weeks ago

That thing wasn’t oha soup please. I don’t know what that poison was, the person was being mischievous. grin

sonnie10:

Some people would just go pluck the hard leafs that the plant is supposed to use for photosynthesis for their Oha soup. Wrong!

The edible ones are the tender new sprouts, from the tips of the stem, best plucked in the morning or late evening and used within say day.
These little details are important.
I think they bought mature ones or some specie. Lol. In my learning days, I also bought a semi-hard oha and struggled with it.

This one I bought was very soft. If you shake the bunch, they will fall off.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
zmpp:

Shut up if you can't read and understand. You are obviously one of the thugs.
no wonder she's ignoring you, you're just being irrational.
Just kindly note that anambra state isn't in your league.
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Theconglomerate(m): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

No, I mean someone like Theconglomerate who spent ample time, begging me to chop his money and I told him I am okay with my man- Shouldn’t come online to claim I am looking for a husband.

If I was looking for man money to chop or a man to hook, I would have been done with him. I wouldn’t marry him definitely.
That was 2 years ago when this kind better never dey.
Today?nah...I no go even pick your height.
Continue your hunt in peace,I wish say your net catch big fish.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by FloraEC(f): 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2020
sassysure:

The enugu/ imo abacha has taken over. Anambra abacha must be prepared with ogiri and not Everybody like ogiri.
Also, u use crayfish and lots of dry meat or fish. Many odds against it cheesy
Not surprised it is going extinct.
Growing up, I love abacha agworoagwo(I think that's Anambra method) the one that they make using ncha.

I prefer the fried abacha maybe because of the akanwu used in making abacha ncha
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by JONNYSPUTE(m): 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:
oga you be olodo sha, you said ezeagus abacha are the best, you faulted her for saying abachas made in anambra are better than those in enugu, what does that mean to you?
When a person points out a faulty way of reasoning, it's for your own good that you learn rather than trying to shame the person by using derogatory terms. Mr black knight.
....Ndi Anambra. All Una own na him be best.

If one doesn't cook Oha soup with ogili then it is not Oha soup.

If one doesn't eat Una Abacha with ogili,then the taste is not unique.

Make Una carry cup.

Ndi ogili.
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
JONNYSPUTE:
.... The way most of you folks from Anambra sees other SE states as inferior is very disappointing.

Just look at the way you claim Anambra Abacha is better than that of Enugu.

Whereas,we all know that Udi, and Ezeagu people from Enugu state have the best Abacha in S E.

Mind you,I'm not from Enugu thou I base there.

Make Una take am easy dey form superiority. Biko nu.
Point of correction, my post didn't project so. It merely explained why to my understanding most anambra men are the way they are or ngwa men. You guys should carry your tribalistic nonsense and shift from here.
I am from anambra, u can kill yourself.
What nonsense!
And the person I directed the post to was for a reason I choose not to go into( would have developed it further if not for I too know people like you)

And yes, if not for them and aba people( check your history well beyond ipob) igboland would have been overun by the north. I speak with facts not sentiments. So, yes, with their gragra, they are still shielding us from all the parasites that want to devour us.

Ask about any riot in the north against igbo people who dey carry the reprisal attack for head? When it starts it aba or onitsha, that's when the north will know how to call their people to order. Aba is even worst.
Mtcheew.

I love my anambra abacha, any problem with that?
That is my choice. Make your, will you?
Hian!
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Most Igbos will not frown at me for making it without ogiri. We are not all from Anambra, you gadamn supremacist. Pfttttt

It is not hard to take corrections.

Coming here to tell us that ogili is optional is outright Ignorance and you said it is common to east but deceiving the audience.

Sometimes , I wonder if you guys have any atom of culture at all?

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by TheArchangel(f): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Honestly Sassy, your people are one of the reasons I will never support Biafra. It is going to be like frying pan to fire.

Anambra people will choke the rest of SE states with their oversabi and supremacist mindset. Always acting like their way is the perfect and only way. Everywhere they enter, you must know they are there!! Jeez!
Don't go there, please. Let's just enjoy the food and wash hands in peace.

Meanwhile, your fears are unfounded and quite unfortunate.
In the world we live in, we kinda needs people with supremacist mindset, because they'll smother their perceived enemies first before sending in the cavalry. They are like the archers in the medieval warfares.
Decimate and destabilise your opponent while their other better half continue with the original ideology. Ojukwu went on exile but Abia citizens are on the front line now.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by VickyRotex(f): 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2020
These steps are so detailed. Great job OP kiss kiss kiss

I miss Oha soup cry cry

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by pocohantas(f): 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2020
Theconglomerate:
That was 2 years ago when this kind better never dey.
Today?nah...I no go even pick your height.
Continue your hunt in peace,I wish say your net catch big fish.
Enjoy.

Continue which hunt? I have told you I have someone. Why is it eating you up Nwanneni? For someone who claims to be in a better place, why messaging me and stalking me online.

I have caught one and you know how many days you used trying to convince me you are better. Leave me and my height na!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by TheArchangel(f): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:
Please stop. Let's not divide further. Egos are already bruised.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by zmpp(f): 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
DeckXavier:

Nonsense. I am an Anambarian myself. Keep off, thug.
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Lmao. I was talking with a friend the other day. I told him if Biafra ever happens, e sure me say Ebonyi people no go follow us. They can’t be enslaved twice in a row. Me sef no go follow, because wetin Anambra people go do all of us, na the same thing wey Northerners dey do Nigeria. grin

We can only pick the lesser evil. I choose to stay in Nigeria. cheesy cheesy

Whats our business with what you think?

Whether u want am or una want am, we ain't interested but sitting tight anyone that comes we will see...

You generalise but when corrected you start talking nonsense...

Inferior mindset.

4 Likes

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
FloraEC:

Growing up, I love abacha agworoagwo(I think that's Anambra method) the one that they make using ncha.

I prefer the fried abacha maybe because of the akanwu used in making abacha ncha
Abacha agworagwo is different. It's Sweet too.
If you love watching foodies on youtube, watch flochinyere and you will see the difference. I think she made the two. The all Nigerian recipe book lady.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by pocohantas(f): 2:00pm On Jul 05, 2020
Osagyefo98:

It is not hard to take corrections.

Coming here to tell us that ogili is optional is outright Ignorance and you said it is common to east but deceiving the audience.

Sometimes , I wonder if you guys have any atom of culture at all?

Anambra = Culture

We hear you, Your Highness!

What else should we put o? Minister of Culture cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by noisy45(m): 2:00pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Ngwa men restrict their attitude to Abia state. From close encounter, Abiriba men are even more venomous than Ngwa men. Ngwa people are just unnecessarily loud and they have number.

Imo men are closely behind Anambra men in supremacist mindset. Mbaise, Mbano, Orlu, Obowo...another dangerous set. However, they also do well to keep their madness inside.

Now to your brothers, never.

We from Enugu are the coolest
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by VickyRotex(f): 2:00pm On Jul 05, 2020
How did this innocent food thread turn into a cultural war? shocked cry cry
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by God1stson(m): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2020
merahki:

Achi is something my people don’t (didn’t) traditionally eat (even though the trees are many in my hometown). Children would pick these and use them to play games. My cousin had more than 1000 seeds once, lol. The seeds would also be sold to ndi mbana (people from outside our place).
But of course everybody eats everything now, with tradition mixups (for example ndi obodo ayi traditionally don’t eat nni akpu, instead they eat nniji and nniede, even a combination of the two, but of course I know many people now eat the akpu, one can buy okpa in places far away from Agbaja land now, etc)
Back to achi, it is also cheaper than ede or egusi, and this places it automatically on the menus of many Igbo families, whether they would traditionally eat it or not. I have never eaten it but the seeds are beautiful. They look like ukpaka, but are very much smaller.
Ogili is for ede and abacha in my place, but I think there is a slightly different ogili for each. Hardened/mature oha leaves or oha’s sibling, utulukpa would be used to make ji “agwol’agwo” (my grandma used to do this).
But there are cheap seeds that my people traditionally eat- akpalata and okobo. Not many people would know these I guess. The former look like trebor sweets and the latter like black ping pong balls. I never tasted them though but I know them as home food. I have only ever eaten and do eat okra plus ogbono with ugu, and egusi with either ugu or onugbu. No other soup have I known.
My people also would cook a pounded cocoyam leaf, or mpoto ede soup. It is a very, very old, almost extinct soup type- ofhe mpoto. Maybe for ndi ozo, like something called ighu. I cant describe this one well, it somehow looks like corn flakes but I don’t know the crop it is made from. It used to be prepared like abacha but with more basic ingredients- akanwu, salt, pepper, palm oil. It was a special food, revered by ozos. Not sure if mpoto was revered by ndi ozo though.

@OP, I am sorry for derailing some, and then more, but your food is beautiful. I enjoy your food threads. I especially love that they are traditional foods cool. You would make a killing owning a restaurant outside Nigeria! I have read two, will look out for more.
Like you I think I onions don’t go with soup. I would not eat soup with onions at all (even if only used to season the meat).
U are confirmed Ojebeogene man OFE MPOTO IS DANGEROUSLY DELICIOUS BUT HAS GONE EXTINCT.AS THOSE SOUP NA WETIN THEY MAKE OLD PPLE THEN NO DO SICK ANYHOW
Re: How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) by TheArchangel(f): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2020
merahki:

Like you I think I onions don’t go with soup. I would not eat soup with onions at all (even if only used to season the meat).
Down the Memory Lane, ma'am.
Nostalgic feelings kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

My simple Christmas Meal Today!!! Photos / Some Kitchen Tricks You May Not Know / Please Enough With The Record-A-Thons - GWR Replies Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.