Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 (60262 Views)

Fire Outbreak At Imo Airport: DJ Barbie, Others Survive ( Video) / Pictures From The Construction Of Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 12:51am On Jul 06, 2020
horsepower102:
I have been saying that if we igbos can come together and contribute money, we can build all the major infrastructures that Nigerian Government is denying us.

Op thanks for this thread.

You are right but the problem is the people that will manage it.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Anambra1stS0n: 1:57am On Jul 06, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:
I can see Arthur Eze's name on the list, this philanthropist has been doing good for over 3 decades.
Even A E Illodibe Ekene dili chukwu transport
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ofiko123(m): 2:22am On Jul 06, 2020
Nice one.. The igbos are hard-working and industrious people..

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 2:31am On Jul 06, 2020
Nwaonyishi69:
the ranting of an irritant.

grin grin
Look at you!
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 2:32am On Jul 06, 2020
ofiko123:
[s]Nice one.. The igbos are hard-working and industrious people..
[/s]
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 2:39am On Jul 06, 2020
Cherez:

Don't mind some morons here arguing this truth
Monies my people donated is being disputed?
You guys, Gavelslam, Metaphysical, Ritchiee, & Omenka should learn one wise action I learnt years ago thus, "Never ever think something impossible for you is so for others cos impossibilities for someone might be a walkover for another. So, rather than argue an impossibility isn't a walkover for the other person, learn how they do it & excel as well"

Im not saying it is impossible for Mbaise people....thats my new gehfren people....to donate money to town development. In fact it should be applauded. Im proud of my in-laws for coming together to uplift their community.

What im saying is, this record has no authenticity or certification to the credit given to it.

This could be a contribution to the Igwe's mansion. It could be a contribution to buy land for church. It could be a contribution to dredge river niger....it is a contribution for thousands of likely causes. How do we certify that this contribution is for airport?

This is my contention.

Are you in Mbaise? Kindly tell my inlaws I will be travelling soon to see them. grin

Cc
Adaibeku
Imhotep

Ibo Amaka! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 3:04am On Jul 06, 2020
Cherez:

Mehn is this how daft you can be?
So the mods should remove a true history of how a group of people contributed to build an airport the govt refused to support at the time?
This is how dark some of us black people can be
If people killed Einstein's books like this, who would have known the relationship between mass and energy?

Prove that this fund raising is for the airport, and not for purchase of land and cement to build a palace for the Igwe.

Show me... grin
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 3:35am On Jul 06, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

grin grin

At this rate you will soon travel to the great beyond to interview some of these men to ascertain whether they actually made those donations or not. At least your little Google search said that Imo state government built and handed over to FAAN. Did your source also divulged how the Imo state government got the funding for this gigantic project? cool

I understand your confusion. How could a people,rendered paupers by an uncivil war, build an entire airport by themselves fourteen years later? Airport that federal government takes loan from foreign banks to maintain.

I assume that where you came from, it is unheard of that individuals joined hands to build public infrastructure. Well, it is called patriotism. Igbo men love progress. All the secondary schools in my community(about 3) were built by the communities and villages through donations and levy. We then handed over to government for them to recruit and post teachers. Post office ,police stations, even hospitals were mostly community efforts.

If the Igbo man had waited for government to remember him, we would have been worse than Eritrea.

Gwafa,
I dont care how long you have lived amongst civilized people in Yorubaland this ya village life and mentality cannot be cured.

Shey, na my Yoruba people you dey talk this thrash to? grin. Orisirisi!

Where I come from, the great Yoruba people, founders of civilizations and world orders, creators of Empires and Kingdoms.....it is abomination for government to pass its sovereign duty and financial burden to its citizens.

When the citizens have to fund a big budget project like an airport the government is no longer solvent. Its budgets are meaningless and it has lost credibility and jurisdiction, it should be dissolved.

A state governor in any Yoruba state will not dare ask people to contribute money to build road...much more an airfield, not to come talk of an airport!

If Yoruba community ever thought of need to improve state budgets they will not donate money. Instead they will approach the government to raise tax.

Cover your face in shame for coming out in public to support this act of shame in Imo. It is a discredit that people will contribute money to build airport in 1983 Nigeria when oil money was flowing yanfu yanfu.

You are backward over there. You have a huge deficit in your assessment of your govt and their contract and responsibility to citizens. They exploit your lack of knowledge and pump you up with false ego....the Igbo spirit!

Igbo spirit that is not aware that it is uncivil for citizens to donate money and fund govt budget.

No make me talk and loose my new gehfren in Mbaise o. grin grin
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 3:59am On Jul 06, 2020
Cherez:

We know you quiet well
Whatever your argument is, it is no news people contributed to build that airport.
See this
https://allafrica.com/stories/201904090098.html
(See the 11th paragraph: Mbakwe fought a battle with the federal authorities who initially opposed the construction of the airport and refused to give support. Undaunted and determined to make a mark, Mbakwe persisted on the airport project without federal assistance. Instead, contributions came from Imo people who gave their full support to the project[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font].)

I presented multiple facts and supporting documents that counter the thread's position.

First, I gave authentic status of the airport from FAAN records.

Here I give you article on who built the airport and commissioned it and the year it was built.

I maintain that the contributions posted in this thread was not for the purpose it is claimed.

Could it be that this contribution was one of the popular village efforts back in the 80s to fund spare parts business for apprentices relocating to Lagos for new markets?

We know in the late 70s and into 80s many Ibo people did crowd funding for new opportunities in Lagos markets. They sponsored boys from villages to apprentice in Lagos and Kano and expand spare parts business.

Isnt this document an evidence of that....rather than some bullshyyte about an airport?

As it stands, authentic materials show the airport was built by state.

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by fareed69(m): 4:38am On Jul 06, 2020
Simplyleo:
But in 2020, na Buhari all of them dey shout upandan. undecided

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Born2Breed(f): 5:32am On Jul 06, 2020
[quote author=Joshforeal post=91421707]Love your dp. That is if you're not a male posing as a female sha /quote]

...to what gain?
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by gaskiyamagana: 5:42am On Jul 06, 2020
GboyegaD:
Community project. If a few people perhaps with some support of the government could build airports back then, why do modern day government borrow outrageous amounts to renovate existing airports?
CORRUPTION OR CORODED MORAL VALUE.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by olmoRoc: 5:45am On Jul 06, 2020
That used to be the norm, and it was so during IBB's regime in the 80s
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ruggedtimi(m): 5:56am On Jul 06, 2020
People's club donated 5k....for airport wow. Nigeria is really messed up. Right now airport u go dey hear $100m
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 06, 2020
kolaaderin:
All fake documents, windows Microsoft word type setting in 1983. You can do us a favour and retype this in its accessible format as at 1983.

We all remember the airport dues.

Even primary n secondary school pupils paid it
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 6:03am On Jul 06, 2020
Openbusiness3:
Those people that donated 200K in 1983, dem be real big men oh shocked. 200K in 1983 is like 200m now

Igbos hold bar wella.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 06, 2020
Standing5:
I would have loved if they can cone together to build a refinery the size of Dangote's. That's 12Bn USD or over 4 Trillion.

They can
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by vanunu: 6:06am On Jul 06, 2020
GavelSlam:

Couldnt have been in this font.

In addition, I'm seeing lots if 50k donations.

In 1983?

grin

Time New Roman started with electric typewriter.

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by vanunu: 6:09am On Jul 06, 2020
Mordecai:
grin

This document has been called into question. It does not match the typeset of the era in which it's believed to have been created. For perspective, look at the typeset under the picture of Kalu Idika Kalu.

Names like Mr Arthur Eze on that document adds more doubts to it credibility. As of 1978, Arthur Eze was still a student in USA. Atlas Oranto Petroleum was not founded till the early 90s. Also, the personal account of Iwuanyanwu on how the airport was built (https://www.sunnewsonline.com/my-ups-and-downs-in-life-iwuanyanwu-2/) does not match this narrative.

While donations were likely made for the project, this document is clearly revisionist and is a fake.

You are a kid, electric typewriter has several fonts and it has memory also
Do you know when they started calling him Arthur 1000. You think he is your mate.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Standing5(m): 6:12am On Jul 06, 2020
PrecisionFx:

They can
How?
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by vanunu: 6:22am On Jul 06, 2020
[quote author=kolafolabi post=91417705]Did anyone notice that those texts were typed by a computer and not type-writing machine[/quote

Kid, it was typed with electric typewriter.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 6:24am On Jul 06, 2020
GavelSlam:

Forget story.

How much was each car at the time?
Bros be humble to accept what you don't know N2k wasn't a crazy Biggie those days
Let's quantify it; N2k then was equivalent to maybe $2.6k.
Let's say due to inflation the value of the money currently is now $5k
Are you saying an some Nigerians don't have N5m?
Bros, every single Nigerian leaving this country for studies abroad and not on scholarship pays hugely upto N4MILLION
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 6:28am On Jul 06, 2020
MetaPhysical:

I presented multiple facts and supporting documents that counter the thread's position.

First, I gave authentic status of the airport from FAAN records.

Here I give you article on who built the airport and commissioned it and the year it was built.

I maintain that the contributions posted in this thread was not for the purpose it is claimed.

Could it be that this contribution was one of the popular village efforts back in the 80s to fund spare parts business for apprentices relocating to Lagos for new markets?

We know in the late 70s and into 80s many Ibo people did crowd funding for new opportunities in Lagos markets. They sponsored boys from villages to apprentice in Lagos and Kano and expand spare parts business.

Isnt this document an evidence of that....rather than some bullshyyte about an airport?

As it stands, authentic materials show the airport was built by state.
GOD!!!!
Bros I thought you were cerebral enough
Now I understand the main reason Nigeria is so backward; even intelligent people loose this property at the touch of tribalism.
Yes the airport was built by the state govt (who else would the donation go to? LGA, traditional rulers?) with donations from individuals
See the reference I have you
The donation was made public so this ain't news as people massively donated then.
The OP even opined so that the records were done by the state commissioner of finance then Mr. Idika
You don't have to go far; In some locations in Lagos you'll see Town Union buildings built solely in donation from a single village.
My village has town unions in every major city in the SE & in Lagos and in each of these locations, they have a 1/2-storey building on a 2plot land built by the union

2 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by 3Ceagle(m): 7:03am On Jul 06, 2020
Some years back I was cleaning my late mother's belongs and I saw the community contributions card, inside the card was airport building project contribution paid by my mom on behalf of our family. This contributions were collected by the various community town union and further remitted to the state government airport building project. This was during the military, if it was now the thieving politicians would have looted the fund. This should be during Ike Nwachukwu military governorship era.

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Abiriba1stson: 7:26am On Jul 06, 2020
More than 12 names on that list are men from Abiriba kingdom now in Abia state.

ugo4u:
A document that contains a comprehensive list of major donors for the construction of Sam Mbakwe airport in present day Imo state, as posted by Sam Hart, this is the only airport in Nigeria and the west African region to be built by the people. It is worthy of note that this was done barely 13years after the fraticidal Civil war that almost wiped out the economic power of the then eastern region. Honestly, the resilience, never die spirit and industry of the Igbo man ought to be studied and replicated across Nigeria. I buy into the school of thought that the Igbos have the key to unlock the economic potential of Nigeria.

This is a great piece of history. May our names be in the good books just like Mordecai when history is revisited.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hartng/status/1279719874282037251
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cmanforall: 8:39am On Jul 06, 2020
ugo4u:
A document that contains a comprehensive list of major donors for the construction of Sam Mbakwe airport in present day Imo state, as posted by Sam Hart, this is the only airport in Nigeria and the west African region to be built by the people. It is worthy of note that this was done barely 13years after the fraticidal Civil war that almost wiped out the economic power of the then eastern region. Honestly, the resilience, never die spirit and industry of the Igbo man ought to be studied and replicated across Nigeria. I buy into the school of thought that the Igbos have the key to unlock the economic potential of Nigeria.

This is a great piece of history. May our names be in the good books just like Mordecai when history is revisited.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hartng/status/1279719874282037251
So they had computer then to type this?
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 06, 2020
Standing5:
How?

Same way they built an airport.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cmanforall: 8:48am On Jul 06, 2020
kolaaderin:
All fake documents, windows Microsoft word type setting in 1983. You can do us a favour and retype this in its accessible format as at 1983.
It may not be fake, but he should had put up the original document.
Have an MS WORD document with some writings on it makes it look like a recent donation list.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ScotMisile: 8:50am On Jul 06, 2020
This information is supposed to be classified.... Seriously, am tired of our obsession with praises from other people....
This information is supposed to be for the personal consumption of the Igbo tribe why bring our sacrosanct information for the public to spit on...where is our dignity as a people,where is our secret, where is our pride.

Some one in a hurry to get likes published such high level information....Am highly dissappointed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You / Lockdown: Warri In Pictures Today / The Road Senator Stella Oduah Is Constructing In Anambra (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.