Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 (60263 Views)

Fire Outbreak At Imo Airport: DJ Barbie, Others Survive ( Video) / Pictures From The Construction Of Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ogunkpa: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2020
okotorikpo
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 10:19pm On Jul 05, 2020
Bekool:

Oga this are real donations from imo people i personally remembered when my late dad donated #100 for this airport project back then. I dont know if there is any video records of the fund raising ceremony the op could have also posted it here for doubting people like u.

The state govt built the airport. It was not citizen funded.

What i suspect happened is someone used the project to scam innocent citizens. Collected money on a phantom airport.

Still, the record on this thread is not certified as an authentic record for an airport fund.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 10:21pm On Jul 05, 2020
MetaPhysical:

grin grin
Ibos invented text editor and used it ahead of the world. This 1983 document was typed in the legacy editor first used on a computer invented during biafran war.

Abeg, give my in-laws some slack. grin
We know you quiet well
Whatever your argument is, it is no news people contributed to build that airport.
See this
https://allafrica.com/stories/201904090098.html
(See the 11th paragraph: Mbakwe fought a battle with the federal authorities who initially opposed the construction of the airport and refused to give support. Undaunted and determined to make a mark, Mbakwe persisted on the airport project without federal assistance. Instead, contributions came from Imo people who gave their full support to the project[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font].)

3 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by omenka(m): 10:22pm On Jul 05, 2020
Grandest lie ever told by ipods to caress their ego! How could such fine print on MS Word be in existence in Nigeria in 1983? Was that font style even available then? cheesy cheesy

These people, make una lie small small naw. Haba!! Look at the paper as well. How could anyone believe that sheet was from 83?

Only a fool will believe this crap.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by omenka(m): 10:25pm On Jul 05, 2020
GavelSlam:

You people are kids.

Most Nigerians had never seen two thousand Naira in cash as at 1984.

Not to talk of 50 thousand Naira.

Remember, this was supposed to be the period the "tyrant" Buhari was ruling.
The mod that moved this crap to the fp needs to be sanctioned honestly. That trashy document could even have been made TODAY!

Just look at the font. Yet someone believe it came from 83. Haba! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Ritchiee: 10:25pm On Jul 05, 2020
And some people will believe this lie o. grin

How will one believe papers with names that do not specify anything except falsehood. Who compiled the names? Which media got involved?
I don't know why most Igbos love falsehood so much.
lalasticlala,shey nah you or mynd44 pushed this fakey to FP?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2020
ArcFresky:

Stop blowing your trumpet, historically traders were usually from the north or the south west.

Check history, successful traders usually originated from the north and west.

It was china and the allure of cheap standard goods that brought aboug Igbo prosperity in trading.

It was also the Igbos that introduced counterfeit goods
Used car importation
Spare parts
Substandard drugs or posions

Oil only brought easy money. Since there was no easy money for the south westerners, all they had was trade or die in poverty.

You lack history. Honestly Nigeria is high on illiteracy
If you couldn't read up Jaja of Opobo and his economic tussle with the British in Palm oil business then you obviously know nothing
Bros Jaja Opobo fought the British attempt at business monopoly in the oil palm business
This Jaja, read up his origin then come back for argument
The father of Odumegwu Ojukwu owned the only Rolls Royce in Nigeria then which the Nigerian govt borrowed to host the Queen of England back then
Bros, leave Igbos & trade oooo and even some few other things.
Bros, every good/bad thing in Nigeria today usually come from Lagos
If Igbos started 2nd hand, how come "Tokunbo" a Yoruba word is used for these
What is "Oluwole" known for? Forgery of documents
Abi you no know?
Bros, just keep.quiet ooo
Where did bend down select start from? These are bells from Cotonou, who imports them? Ask Ogun & Lagos border town indigenes, till date they still eat 2nd hand turkey n co

2 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by InvertedHammer: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2020
/
Shocking.

#3 -- Iwuanyanwu could be "audio" because of the history of his Hardel & Enic.
#11--Onuaguluchi. (odogwu na Achi)
#32--Industrialist from Urualla. One of the pioneers of "Think Home" philosophy [Ferdinand Oils, Urualla]
#49--of course! Why not.

N100,000/1.5 = $66,667 approx. N30m today
Naira today is SMH

/
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by gwafaeziokwu: 10:35pm On Jul 05, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Mods abeg remove this fake record from front page.

This is not official record for the airport. It is unauthenticated. Official record from FAAN, airport authority, differs from this individually sourced and uncertified claim by OP.

I attach official record below. Follow link for additional clarity.

Im asking that this thread is deleted.

https://www.faan.gov.ng/owerri-airport/

grin grin

At this rate you will soon travel to the great beyond to interview some of these men to ascertain whether they actually made those donations or not. At least your little Google search said that Imo state government built and handed over to FAAN. Did your source also divulged how the Imo state government got the funding for this gigantic project? cool

I understand your confusion. How could a people,rendered paupers by an uncivil war, build an entire airport by themselves fourteen years later? Airport that federal government takes loan from foreign banks to maintain.

I assume that where you came from, it is unheard of that individuals joined hands to build public infrastructure. Well, it is called patriotism. Igbo men love progress. All the secondary schools in my community(about 3) were built by the communities and villages through donations and levy. We then handed over to government for them to recruit and post teachers. Post office ,police stations, even hospitals were mostly community efforts.

If the Igbo man had waited for government to remember him, we would have been worse than Eritrea.

6 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2020
alfredilly:

This also go to show your the subtle lies peddle by Igbo playing victim after the war. Yes there was destruction but Awo also effectively oversea the rehabilitation and rebuilding. The 20 pound myth was a product of failed bargain that affected some but not all biafra citizen. Those who have money in Nigerian bank with proof got their money back. The 20 pound policy was implemented to take care of those who came back with biafra currency, the source of which could not be ascertained. How do you excuse people who stole and printed illegal note during the war and came back requesting it to be exchanged with Nigerian currency.
Bros you could be right but you see these words "REHABILITATION & REBUILDING", remove them from those words you said there "Yes there was destruction but Awo also effectively oversea the rehabilitation and rebuilding. "
There's absolutely nothing like rebuilding nor rehabilitation by the Nigerian govt then
I'm.not saying it was the responsibility of the FG then either
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by vivalavida(m): 10:45pm On Jul 05, 2020
My parents paid for this airport. Monies were deducted from their salary from source. Monies they agreed to donate
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by babajero(m): 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2020
yinkus6750:
That was when real citizens were concerned about the well being of the people.
Not selfish purpose as it's obtainable now.
And now everyone waits for government for everything.
That is to tell you, that when Biafra comes to be, that is when you will see true patriotism.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 10:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
GavelSlam:

You people are kids.

Most Nigerians had never seen two thousand Naira in cash as at 1984.

Not to talk of 50 thousand Naira.

Remember, this was supposed to be the period the "tyrant" Buhari was ruling.
JESUS of NAZARETH
Bros my own dad built a a 3-storey building in 1982 and same year bought a brand new Peugeot 505 for my mum (an undergraduate at UNN then), Peugeot 505 salon for my uncle & a Peugeot 504 station wagon for his business then all in one year.
Bros, some of you guys just argue blindly here, I give up really

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Ritchiee: 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
Cherez:

You lack history. Honestly Nigeria is high on illiteracy
If you couldn't read up Jaja of Opobo and his economic tussle with the British in Palm oil business then you obviously know nothing
Bros Jaja Opobo fought the British attempt at business monopoly in the oil palm business
This Jaja, read up his origin then come back for argument
The father of Odumegwu Ojukwu owned the only Rolls Royce in Nigeria then which the Nigerian govt borrowed to host the Queen of England back then
Bros, leave Igbos & trade oooo and even some few other things.
Bros, every good/bad thing in Nigeria today usually come from Lagos
If Igbos started 2nd hand, how come "Tokunbo" a Yoruba word is used for these
What is "Oluwole" known for? Forgery of documents
Abi you no know?
Bros, just keep.quiet ooo
Where did bend down select start from? These are bells from Cotonou, who imports them? Ask Ogun & Lagos border town indigenes, till date they still eat 2nd hand turkey n co

lol

Jaja of opobo was truly an IBO slave who bought his freedom.He was a good trader.Also Ojukwu'father..lobatan..the End.Who else do you have who was prominent in Biz? grin

The real bizness people have always been the Yorubas and Hausas.
Yorubas have had as bizness people, men and women of calibre like Madam Tinubu,Iyalode etc.
Esan Darocha and his son who was the first richest African,Odutola,Sir Mobolaji Bank Anthony etc.
Open this site

https://web.ccsu.edu/afstudy/upd7-3.htm

and know firsthand why Yorubas have always been the best bizness people then till date.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by GavelSlam: 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
Cherez:

JESUS of NAZARETH
Bros my own dad built a a 3-storey building in 1982 and same year bought a brand new Peugeot 505 for my mum (an undergraduate at UNN then), Peugeot 505 salon for my uncle & a Peugeot 504 station wagon for his business then all in one year.
Bros, some of you guys just argue blindly here, I give up really

Forget story.

How much was each car at the time?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by excel101(m): 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2020
Simplyleo:
[s][/s]
Yen yen yen yen yen.

Shut up there and get out. angry
Your mates are making meaningful contribution and also making their education count, while you are busy insulting them, you this wasted school fees.

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Simplyleo: 10:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
excel101:
Your mates are making meaningful contribution and also making their education count, while you are busy insulting them, you this wasted school fees.
The other moniker has been rested, and here comes one of the several alts.

Some people must have built 5 bedroom flats in nairaland. No wonder they "live in cities". cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by omenka(m): 11:02pm On Jul 05, 2020
All of them are now trying to validate am obvious lie saying *my parents also paid for this*.
Chai!! What a people! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ugo4u: 11:09pm On Jul 05, 2020
Ritchiee:

lol

Jaja of opobo was truly an IBO slave who bought his freedom.He was a good trader.Also Ojukwu'father..lobatan..the End.Who else do you have who was prominent in Biz? grin

Yorubas have had as bizness people, men and women of calibre like Madam Tinubu,Iyalode etc.
Esan Darocha and his son who was the first richest African,Odutola,Sir Mobolaji Bank Anthony etc.
Open this site

and know firsthand why Yorubas have always been the best bizness people then till date.
FYI Madam Tinubu was a notable slave trader.

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Joshforeal: 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2020
Born2Breed:
grin

Igbo's must be respected.

They are great people, just like the air they rose despite Nigerians trying to put them down.

The most annoying part are those leeches who have nothing but get everything.

Love your dp. That is if you're not a male posing as a female sha
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 11:19pm On Jul 05, 2020
MetaPhysical:
Mods abeg remove this fake record from front page.

This is not official record for the airport. It is unauthenticated. Official record from FAAN, airport authority, differs from this individually sourced and uncertified claim by OP.

I attach official record below. Follow link for additional clarity.

Im asking that this thread is deleted.

https://www.faan.gov.ng/owerri-airport/

Mehn is this how daft you can be?
So the mods should remove a true history of how a group of people contributed to build an airport the govt refused to support at the time?
This is how dark some of us black people can be
If people killed Einstein's books like this, who would have known the relationship between mass and energy?

3 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Ritchiee: 11:20pm On Jul 05, 2020
ugo4u:

FYI Madam Tinubu was a notable slave trader.

I know.That was the business reigning then.We also had Efunsetan Aniwura etc.

My point is Yorubas have always had the largest and best business savvy people not only in Nigeria but Africa.Not talking about the old ones,we have the highest number and largest group of businessmen and women of Nigerian stock at home and abroad.

These are some you may or may not know.:
Praises to the Most High smiley

Seriki Williams Abass
Dapo Abiodun
Doyin Abiola
Moshood Abiola
Samson Abioye
Iyinoluwa Aboyeji
Segun Abraham
Michael Ade-Ojo
Segun Adebutu
Silas Adekunle
Adedeji Adeleke
Mike Adenuga
Kunle Adewale
Segun "Aeroland" Adewale
Taiwo Afolabi
Salami Agbaje
Bode Akindele
Akinola Maja
Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan
Olatunji Ajisomo Alabi
Ralph Alabi
Demola Aladekomo
Adeyemo Alakija
Lanre Alfred
Kola Aluko
Ayo Animashaun
Chief E. O. Ashamu
Adekunle Ayeni
John Olatunde Ayeni
Tayo Ayeni
Olawale Ayilara
Wale Babalakin
Ade Bajomo
Mobolaji Bank Anthony
Alani Bankole
Richard Beale Blaize
Talabi Braithwaite
Bankole Cardoso
Folorunsho Coker
James Pinson Labulo Davies
T. A. Doherty
Fela Durotoye
Shafi Edu
Tunde Eso
Joseph Fadahunsi
Luti Fagbenle
Henry Fajemirokun
Samuel Fawehinmi
Antonio Deinde Fernandez
Tunde Folawiyo
Wahab Iyanda Folawiyo
Charles Joseph George
Keji Giwa
Jimoh Ibrahim
Oladipo Jadesimi
Tayo Amusan
Kase Lukman Lawal
Alaba Lawson
Olufemi Majekodunmi
John Obaro
Akinpelu Obisesan
Jacob Odulate
Akin Babalola Kamar Odunsi
Adeola Odutola
Chris Ogunbanjo
Adebayo Ogunlesi
Temitope Ogunsemo
Ayo Ogunsheye
Olufemi Oguntamu
Wole Oguntokun
Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi
Adekunle Ojora
Alex Oke
Molade Okoya-Thomas
Razaq Okoya
Habeeb Okunola
Bukunyi Olateru-Olagbegi
Duro Olowu
Femi Olubanwo
Olalekan Olude
Ade A. Olufeko
Otunba Fatai Olukoga
Jide Omokore
Lawrence Omole
Oluseun Onigbinde
Femi Otedola
Oba Otudeko
Tayo Oviosu
Gbenga Oyebode
Olateju Oyeleye
Samuel Herbert Pearse
Femi Pedro
Candido Da Rocha
John W. Rogers Jr.
Herzekiah Andrew Shanu
Mohammed Shitta Bey
Biodun Shobanjo
Ernest Shonekan
Yemisi Adedoyin Shyllon
Olalekan Sipasi
Omoyele Sowore
Taiwo Olowo
Temidayo Isaiah Oniosun
Olusola Teniola
Bosun Tijani
Adewale Tinubu
Tobi Kukoyi
Lanre Towry-Coker
Tune Day
Ade Tuyo
William Vivour
Akintola Williams
Harry Akande
Kola Abiola
etc.

What Yorubas dominate in Nigerian businesses...

Industrial Companies.
Biggest importers and second exporters after oil.
Real Estates home and abroad.
Oil marketing
Petrol stations
Indigenous construction coys
Indigenous drug manufacturers.....a little over Igbos but Igbos have more petty pharmacies.
Seafood.
Plastics.
Iron and steel.
Woods and plywoods.
Block making.
Rubber shoes.
Eateries.
Poultry and feeds.
etc.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by gwafaeziokwu: 11:21pm On Jul 05, 2020
omenka:
The mod that moved this crap to the fp needs to be sanctioned honestly. That trashy document could even have been made TODAY!

Just look at the font. Yet someone believe it came from 83. Haba! cheesy

Confirmed illiterates. And they will be forming woke on Nairaland.

Do you know what a Typewriter Typeface is? Do you know that these typefaces are manufactured with different fonts and could be changed depending on what font one wants to use for a particular purpose? I know you and your generation are used to only one typeface font. Well you simply could not afford the one with alternative typefaces, but those men up there who could donate #50k as at 1983 sure did.

Below is a typical example of some fonts available for typewriters as early as 1962. Read!Read!!Read!!!

4 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by IpobOsuIgbo: 11:23pm On Jul 05, 2020
horsepower102:
I have been saying that if we igbos can come together and contribute money, we can build all the major infrastructures that Nigerian Government is denying us.

Op thanks for this thread.

Who/what are they denying you of?

Bile, hate and intolerance can never make a man progress in life.
Change!
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by omenka(m): 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

Confirmed illiterates. And they will be forming woke on Nairaland.

Do you know what a Typewriter Typeface is? Do you know that these typefaces are manufactured with different fonts and could be changed depending on what font one wants to use for a particular purpose? I know you and your generation are used to only one typeface font. Well you simply could not afford the one with alternative typefaces, but those men up there who could donate #50k as at 1983 sure did.

Below is a typical example of some fonts available for typewriters as early as 1962. Read!Read!!Read!!!
Typical ipod liar!! Show us by circling exactly which of those fonts in your own picture matches that of the letter.

See who's calling others illiterate. cheesy

Your hunchbacked supreme leader is so ashamed of you he's giving you the middle finger. grin

1 Like

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by gwafaeziokwu: 11:34pm On Jul 05, 2020
omenka:
Typical ipod liar!! Show us by circling exactly which of those fonts in your own picture matches that of the letter.

See who's calling others illiterate. cheesy

Your hunchbacked supreme leader is so ashamed of you he's giving you the middle finger. grin

grin

Zombie, pity you have no BMO script to read on this one. You have to figure it out yourself no matter how hard.

You doubted if different fonts existed in 1983, I showed you 1962 and you still want me to dig out all the fonts in existence as at 1983 and do a crossmatch for you.

I am not the one that bought your senses for #30k. Go and retrieve it from the broom witches and switch it on.

8 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Ritchiee: 11:44pm On Jul 05, 2020
Cherez:

Bros you could be right but you see these words "REHABILITATION & REBUILDING", remove them from those words you said there "Yes there was destruction but Awo also effectively oversea the rehabilitation and rebuilding. "
There's absolutely nothing like rebuilding nor rehabilitation by the Nigerian govt then
I'm.not saying it was the responsibility of the FG then either
.Awo helped the Igbos but they only remember the negatives.

Hear Awolowo...

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 11:45pm On Jul 05, 2020
omenka:
Grandest lie ever told by ipods to caress their ego! How could such fine print on MS Word be in existence in Nigeria in 1983? Was that font style even available then? cheesy cheesy

These people, make una lie small small naw. Haba!! Look at the paper as well. How could anyone believe that sheet was from 83?

Only a fool will believe this crap.
Lol
The Omenka werey again?
Ok, this one here will prove your hatred and gross ignorance about Nigeria as a whole
It's not hidden that this is how the Igbos survived post war
Lots of roads were built entirely by community strength
Till date in my village we still contribute monies to grade our roads every festive times
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nwaonyishi69: 11:50pm On Jul 05, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:
I can see Arthur Eze's name on the list, this philanthropist has been doing good for over 3 decades.
Hoping he redeemed the pledge. It is one thing to pledge and another to redeem it.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 11:54pm On Jul 05, 2020
vivalavida:
My parents paid for this airport. Monies were deducted from their salary from source. Monies they agreed to donate
Don't mind some morons here arguing this truth
Monies my people donated is being disputed?
You guys, Gavelslam, Metaphysical, Ritchiee, & Omenka should learn one wise action I learnt years ago thus, "Never ever think something impossible for you is so for others cos impossibilities for someone might be a walkover for another. So, rather than argue an impossibility isn't a walkover for the other person, learn how they do it & excel as well"
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nwaonyishi69: 11:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
MetaPhysical:
How are we sure these were donations to fund an airport? Where is the authenticity to prove this claim?
grin
the ranting of an irritant.
Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Cherez: 12:08am On Jul 06, 2020
Ritchiee:

lol

Open this site

Tinubu a business man?
Oga, Kai! Maybe I'm speaking to kids here
What business is Tinubu known for aside politics?
Bros I only mentioned 2 names that rings a bell
Which of these names you mentioned will ring a bell compared to the 2 I just gave you?
Lol
I'll indulge you with a peer reviewed article (https://www.jstor.org/stable/24351221?seq=1)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You / Lockdown: Warri In Pictures Today / The Road Senator Stella Oduah Is Constructing In Anambra (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.