Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,987 members, 7,952,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:22 AM

10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. (62322 Views)

Drone Picture Of Aba-owerri Road Showing How Neat Aba Has Become Recently / Reactions As Lady Shares Her Then And Now Photos 4 Years After Leaving Nigeria / Why Onitsha Port And Baro Port Can't Function For Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Wettoid123: 6:11pm On Jul 10, 2020
I see no difference in that of new York 1922 till present day, that city has been develop all the way abeg check the picture again now or because say na black and white then na him confuse you!

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by tonididdy(m): 6:12pm On Jul 10, 2020
internationalman:
New York has always been developed even in 1922.. ..

The city that never sleeps.

The biggest city in the world by land mass.

The city with the highest numbers of billionaires

The most influential city in the world...

The number one city in the world and my dream destination

This brought a song to my heart as I read the part you said "new York... The city that never sleeps ", it's a song by Frank Sinatra titled new York new York... It's a beautiful song, you should please find it and enjoy too.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by oluwasegun007(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2020
Some countries THEN still beat the NOW of a country I know.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by CTete: 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
obembet:
This is 10 Then and Now Photos of Famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed

1. Dubai, United Arab Emirates in 1990 and now

This must be 3d Lagos, not Lagos in reality.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Austeeenxx: 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2020
Believe me, Seoul in 1900 makes more sense than Lokoja in 2020.

3 Likes

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2020
abdulkayus:

Na WA oooo. What such of thinking is this? Must u blame the North for everything that happens to the nation? Is it the northerners that are ruling ur region and didn't allow to develop, or are they the one representing u in the senate and house of assembly? Habaaaa. If u don't blame in everyday of ur life, u wouldn't feel OK, don't give urself hypertension. Remove the speck in your own eyes before removing the log in someone's eyes.
It is only when we hold our leaders responsible for our problems before we move forward instead of blaming imaginary enemies.
I have some questions for you and if you have conscience, you'd be able to reason afterwards. which region their leaders once said education can't be free and massively sponsoring Islamic education and neglected western education instead of counterbalancing it like the southern leaders leaders and Saudi Arabia whom they emulate did?Where do the allocations and taxes used to develop the north come from? Where do all the monies the government is suppsed to spend on creation of jobs developibg infrastructure going ,all in the name of fighting self-inflcted war as a result of neglect caused by Northern lesders which was why their neglected youths are waging war on the innocent souls, saying western education they never enjoyed is a sin? Did you realise how much Nigeria had lost in terms of human and material resources ( and still losing) on boko haram needless war? The way someone like you think is the reason we are still on this spot as a country.

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Asura: 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2020
Flexherbal:

Lagos is now so beautiful compared to that time!

Beautiful on the outside but rotten on the inside
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 10, 2020
colestephan86:

The Lagos pictures is fake news.

Very deceptive o. Where are the shit between national theater and Ilaje?

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
Op you Photoshop Lagos abi,Lagos stinking potopoto
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 10, 2020
That of Lagos brought butterflies in my tummy. Once again, I was proud as a Nigerian domiciled in Lagos.

God bless you @OP. You did justice to this beautiful country. I wish the government of the day will actually wake up the National Orientation Agency and let them brand this country. Whilst I concur that the Federal Government and the respective State governments are not doing enough to ensure the economy is on the right path, I must confess that Nigeria is a great country and indeed a land of opportunities.

We must not fail to tell the world that Nigeria is a wonderful country filled with loving, happy and accommodating people. There is no gainsaying that the best is yet to come.

God bless Nigerians, our leaders (who need to sit up and do better) and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 10, 2020
fairfora:
I have some questions for you and if you have conscience, you'd be able to reason afterwards. which region their leaders once said education can't be free and massively sponsoring Islamic education and neglected western education instead of counterbalancing it like the southern leaders leaders and Saudi Arabia whom they emulate did?Where does the allocation and taxes used to develop the north are coming from? Where does all the money the government is suppsed to use to create jobs develop infrastructure going ,all in the name of fighting self-inflcted war as a result of neglect caused by Northern lesders which was why their neglected youths are waging war on the innocent souls, saying western education they never enjoyed is a sin? Did you realise how much Nigeria had lost in terms of human and material resources ( and still losing) on boko haram needless war? The way someone like you think is the reason we are still on this spot as a country.

Sorry, but I am laughing at you.

Yes, the North is underdeveloped, but so is the South.

And the reason why we are underdeveloped IS very simple. Since 1960, we have been running our economy on one principle...we sell raw materails, and share the money, and then use that cash to import things.

Another reason is that we don't pay enough taxes. YES....our tax to gdp raito is 5.8% Meanwhile, our brothers in South Africa, it is 28%, African average is 23%.

You are admiring beautiful city abroad, meanwhile, the residents of those beautiful cities pay heavily in taxes to keep those cities looking nice. Apart from their regular income tax. Meanwhile, most Nigerian cities charge next to nothing in taxes...and you expect beauty from what money?

Also, in many parts of the SOuth and North, people cheat on their electricity and water bills. And then we expect the DISCOS to provide power to develop our nation on which money ? Scarce resources.

Plus, in the North, education is free. Yes, they do Islamic education there, but in many parts of the North, Western education is in vogue.

And you are crying for free education. In the mid 1970's under a Northern leader called Muhammed , we had free education from 1975-6. And that free education proved difficult to sustain, because our population is too large...and because we don;t pay enough in taxes.

Yes, we can't have free education because Nigerians don't want to pay enough in traxes, not because of some Hausa. The same Hausa whose leader Sir Bello was building up education infrastructure when he was around. Up till today, his legacies are still around...and despite him being an Islamist, while he was alive, he wasn't really into federal character...Northern institutions admitted everyone from across Nigeria.

Why blame North? Since 1999, we have had Southern governors who loot, steal, cheat, launder money and so on. And the corruption in the South is even worse pass North...not that the North are saints, with chaps like Gandollars.

And one reason why Nigeria is underdeveloped is that we subsidise everything....from power to petroleum. This drives off investment because no one is going to come and build refinery and lose money everytime he or she sells a liter of petrol because Nigerians want cheap fuel. And our power sector is hamstrung among many things by low prices for power....because the law setting up discos and genocos does not allow them to control the price of what they sell...and at the end of the day, no investment, no jobs nothing. (Thank God when GSM came to Nigeria, Obasanjo refused to listen to people like you and allowed them set their price...today we have IT and phone at home.).And because we are paying for subsides, we waste billions of naira every year that could be used for someting else....

Yes, I don't blame the North anymore. I blame each and every Nigerian. Have our Southern leaders too been better....not at all. Nigeria is not proseprous because people want free stuff, and because people want to chop money. No country works that way.

And resturcturing is not going to change anything.

And no, I don;t back APC or PDP , so don't even think of going there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by HotPoundedYam(m): 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
Why has Nigeria not experience significant change
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by sleekier(m): 7:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
That is a photo of Hiroshima after the nuclear attack. Tokyo and Japan has always been advanced even more than Europe. Europe could have been colonized by Japan if the Japanese ventured out more. Even today,Japan is more advanced than the United States and Europe,both in terms of culture and innovation .
Tokyo in the 1800s

Uncle, that picture is not Tokyo in 1800.
No vehicle in 1800 talkless of that kind of bus.

3 Likes

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by movingclouds(m): 7:14pm On Jul 10, 2020
kasim155:
Lol. Lagos pic, but how come light come dey almost every buildings den during d pics
Omo, you brought the question out of my mind. Abi, dem tell PHCN to on light before dem take the picture?

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by mubrix(m): 7:20pm On Jul 10, 2020
olisaEze:

These Nigerian cities u mentioned are like South Korea in the time of Jumong season one! grin grin grin
laugh wan tear my belle oo jumong season 1 bawogrin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by movingclouds(m): 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
I'm American , I've visited Japan twice and I admire Japan. The United States is more popular and influential, but there are many things I like about Japan and the Japanese .
Well, because you're American.. You've lived there and the beauty has become a normal one in your mind. In fact, you'd enter my village and say "wow, it's culturally beautiful"..
Sponsor my visa to both countries, I am the right person to tell you which city/country is more beautiful

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by darfay: 7:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
seanwilliam:
the most developed city

Richest city in the world

Most popular city in the world... if God can only grant my wish to visit that place once in lifetime

Tokyo is actually the richest city in the world

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by ayanbaba2(m): 7:28pm On Jul 10, 2020
movingclouds:

Well, because you're American.. You've lived there and the beauty has become a normal one in your mind. In fact, you'd enter my village and say "wow, it's culturally beautiful"..
Sponsor my visa to both countries, I am the right person to tell you which city/country is more beautiful

sponsor kwaaaa

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by seunayantokun(m): 7:38pm On Jul 10, 2020
Op, what are you up to? Se Lagos you dey or where?
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Ugaboy: 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
DisLifeSha:
The Niger Delta States for be like that but the governors too corrupt. NDDC na scam
nothing like n.d.d.c o, nah just another ministering for looting

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Cantonese: 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2020
obembet:
6. Singapore, Republic of Singapore in 1990 and now

Please there was no country called Singapore in 1900.

Abeg if you wan lie, try make e no show.

Singapore 1900 ko Ijebu Igbo 1748 ni.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Elmuktari(m): 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
little change to geologic features as compared to vast changes to social environment. the earth is really over 4.5 billion years.

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by abdulkayus(m): 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
fairfora:
I have some questions for you and if you have conscience, you'd be able to reason afterwards. which region their leaders once said education can't be free and massively sponsoring Islamic education and neglected western education instead of counterbalancing it like the southern leaders leaders and Saudi Arabia whom they emulate did?Where does the allocation and taxes used to develop the north are coming from? Where does all the money the government is suppsed to use to create jobs develop infrastructure going ,all in the name of fighting self-inflcted war as a result of neglect caused by Northern lesders which was why their neglected youths are waging war on the innocent souls, saying western education they never enjoyed is a sin? Did you realise how much Nigeria had lost in terms of human and material resources ( and still losing) on boko haram needless war? The way someone like you think is the reason we are still on this spot as a country.

BH is just an unfortunate issue. And there are also social vices down south also. Every region and state got their own share of allocations. How each of them use it depends on the kind of leaders they have. And pls stop with their false assertion that the northern leaders say western education is a sin, they have never advocate for that. In such Northern leaders has spent billions of naira in education sector of their region. I am a living witness cos I have been in the north for over 30 years. FYI, the number of government schools in Kano alone is more than what u can get in Anambra state. Thousands of Kano indigenes has been sponsored to private universities down south and universities outside Nigeria for their degree and post degree studies. Western education is a sin is the motto of BH but not Northern government.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by seanwilliam(m): 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2020
darfay:

Tokyo is actually the richest city in the world

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by princetom1(m): 8:20pm On Jul 10, 2020
MiamiePizza:
I prefare Lagos 1960 to this day Lagos

That's not even Lagos of today, maybe Lagos of 15 years ago. Now, dirt don full everywhere, houses are old and all
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Mftivi: 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2020
seanwilliam:

I know.. but no matter how u want to put, Nigeria cant be richer than countries like usa. America owns 33% of the world's wealth... some countries in asia were like Nigeria 60 years ago, now tell can you compare naija with some of Asia giant?
No justification for failure remember

This is not inferiority complex but blacks especially nigeria are backward race.. take it or leave it..
yes, I do agree with you and a chunk of blame goes to us but it wasn't always this way, blacks are not naturally backward because everything we see today is engineered and there is need for an awakening to reverse the status quo. We are all focused on tribal fights and local banters but the real problem of the black man is global, we have to be able to go back in time and understand who we are. Such awakening will drive us to challenge the status quo.

1 Like

Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by seunayantokun(m): 8:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
kikero:

And the reason why we are underdeveloped IS very simple. Since 1960, we have been running our economy on one principle...we sell raw materails, and share the money, and then use that cash to import things.

Another reason is that we don't pay enough taxes. YES....our tax to gdp raito is 5.8% Meanwhile, our brothers in South Africa, it is 28%, African average is 23%.

You are admiring beautiful city abroad, meanwhile, the residents of those beautiful cities pay heavily in taxes to keep those cities looking nice. Apart from their regular income tax. Meanwhile, most Nigerian cities charge next to nothing in taxes...and you expect beauty from what money?

Also, in many parts of the SOuth and North, people cheat on their electricity and water bills. And then we expect the DISCOS to provide power to develop our nation on which money ? Scarce resources.

Plus, in the North, education is free. Yes, they do Islamic education there, but in many parts of the North, Western education is in vogue.

And you are crying for free education. In the mid 1970's under a Northern leader called Muhammed , we had free education from 1975-6. And that free education proved difficult to sustain, because our population is too large...and because we don;t pay enough in taxes.

Yes, we can't have free education because Nigerians don't want to pay enough in traxes, not because of some Hausa. The same Hausa whose leader Sir Bello was building up education infrastructure when he was around. Up till today, his legacies are still around...and despite him being an Islamist, while he was alive, he wasn't really into federal character...Northern institutions admitted everyone from across Nigeria.

Why blame North? Since 1999, we have had Southern governors who loot, steal, cheat, launder money and so on. And the corruption in the South is even worse pass North...not that the North are saints, with chaps like Gandollars.

And one reason why Nigeria is underdeveloped is that we subsidise everything....from power to petroleum. This drives off investment because no one is going to come and build refinery and lose money everytime he or she sells a liter of petrol because Nigerians want cheap fuel. And our power sector is hamstrung among many things by low prices for power....because the law setting up discos and genocos does not allow them to control the price of what they sell...and at the end of the day, no investment, no jobs nothing. (Thank God when GSM came to Nigeria, Obasanjo refused to listen to people like you and allowed them set their price...today we have IT and phone at home.).And because we are paying for subsides, we waste billions of naira every year that could be used for someting else....

Yes, I don't blame the North anymore. I blame each and every Nigerian. Have our Southern leaders too been better....not at all. Nigeria is not proseprous because people want free stuff, and because people want to chop money. No country works that way.

Every nation rises or falls on good or bad leadership. Please stop blaming the populace who don't want to pay taxes: people would gladly pay taxes where their common wealth is not freely stolen with impunity.

The evil circle of Nigeria's backwardness started at a point in the past, and it requires an exemplary leadership to bell the cat and steer itself out of it.

Unfortunately, our country doesn't produce the crop of good leaders needed because we have been captured and our system poisoned by gangs of strong armed robbers who make and break laws in their own selfish interest. There is no strong institution because they don't want our humanity but their base superiority. Aided by external influences, they divide and rule us with religion, ethnicity, and animalistic madness to see development from the parochiality of 'one United Nigeria' when nature itself teaches us that there can't be growth where individual differences are not valued, respected and allowed to develop. Is United Kingdom not a united country? Is United States not a united country? Is United Arab Emirates not a united country?
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Aarenasbaba(m): 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
MiamiePizza:
I prefare Lagos 1960 to this day Lagos
Aje
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2020
fairfora:
Na North destroy this country with their lazy culture. I wish they were as enterprising as the south sad

I remember the day I entered yankee for the first time. It was like heaven on earth. Between that time and now, there have been so much developments in places I visited and once lived. Tom Bradley airport in LA, as beautiful as it is, would soon to have a brother, a much bigger place cheesy this was announced during my visit last year.

We have been hearing Lagos govt shout 4th mainland bridge since tinubu became governor grin .They only share the money in their pockets. lagos mega city my foot. I wish buhari did not stop baba jakande from constructing the lagos lite rail in the 80s for his selfish reasons and hate. Pa Jakande remains one of the visionary and incorruptible leaders. He has no single private jet even though he could have acquired one in his time. We would have since nipped the transport issues in the bud, had buhari not halted this project, same man was seen as a messiah by tinubu in 2015 and now the rest is history. I wonder how people forget the past for their pockets' sake.
Somebody should just get the''before and now'' picture of Jeddah( Jiddah as also called ) in Saudi Arabia and show to the north that even those they emulate are forward-thinking. I remember the Jeddah trident Hotel wink
Most of the northerners may be illiterates but they aren't lazy, I can proudly say that because I've lived near them before, the laziest Nigerians are in a particular state in the South south... make i hold mouth before them come for me. gringringrin
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Ennyholar: 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2020
Never allow anyone or anything stop you from achieving your goals in life and in your business. You can take your business to the next level with FCMB.
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by CuteNbad(m): 8:41pm On Jul 10, 2020
Flexherbal:

Lagos is now so beautiful compared to that time!
yet cause of the lights
Re: 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 10, 2020
kikero:

This is so untrue. Our leaders are to blame, do you know how much an average Nigerian is being milked off per day? There is a god damned VAT on everything, food, electricity, telcos name it. And we are yet to see any development, impotent and incompetent people are being chosen in places of work over the competent ones and yet you say we are all to blame. That is a damned lie, sorry to say. We have been in deep shit since Independence Day deep shit, the so called federalism we practised was horseshit, corruption was the order of the day that is why the revolution happened (the 1966 coup as you know it) we are cursed with bad leaders and till the day that something awful and tragic happens, we will keep on suffering. Are we to blame? Yes, because we are dumb, but not because we don't pay taxes, taxes that buhari and his cabal will swell on?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Plane Carrying Coronavirus Supplies To Japan Crashes & Explodes, Eight Dead / Yobe Deputy Governor's Son, Two Others Die In Road Crash / 500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.