Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,906 members, 7,821,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (27352 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SocialJustice: 12:58pm On Jul 18, 2020
NewDelhi:

This summarize the whole profession.
You're ignorant.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kizyalex10(m): 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:

Exactly my thought. It's not what it used to be
i wanted to study law then and i was denied and i had to study something else,right now i thank God for nt making me study it,too many hype nd yet so little to show for it,even ur helpers go think say u don make am....while u cant even change ur regalia nd wig,the sole of their shoes are bending like a diety
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by ukaface(f): 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
Lastmankc:
Even that useless Archaeology
are there people really studying Archaeology?

What's the use of studying a course for 4years and not practice it as a professional for once. Na waste of time Na, waste of 4 years.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by ityP(m): 1:03pm On Jul 18, 2020
Coolgasman:
It is only that medicine that you said that is now lucrative in Nigeria along with pharmacy, nursing. The rest you'd have to go the hard way to make it

Add Medical Laboratory Science. These ones dey make mad cash too on a low

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by mkakin(m): 1:04pm On Jul 18, 2020
The legal profession is still very lucrative.

What has happened is that most fresh law graduates/lawyers (and graduates generally) leave school without preparing for the outside world. Many of them didn't know that the outside world is not about books and grades alone.

Simply put: Schools no longer prepare/equip students for the reality of life. Students too, most times, do not bother to equip themselves.

So if you leave school with your knowledge of books alone. You have yourself to blame!

Legal practice is very wide. And I repeat, very wide! But the eyes of the average fresh lawyer is opened mainly to litigation/corporate practice. This should not be!

You can practice law in a wide number of ways. But first, you must have passion for it. Many people now study law without that passion. The passion they have is only for the expected money/salary.

Find a way to merge your passion with your degree. Law permeates every facet of life. So, if you love music, creative arts, etc, find a way to study law as it affects those areas. Gbam! You will enjoy it. And you will earn a living.

As a fresh lawyer, do not focus so much on salary. You can be your own boss as soon as possible....and make your own money.
But first, you must make sure you know what you are doing.

That woman on your street who needs a small help with a letter to her landlord is your starting point!!! Treat her well. Be professional with her. She will recommend you to someone with higher economic value than herself. It will surprise you.

That your friend who wants to start an electronic sales outlet, keep in touch with him!

You don't go about complaining everywhere you are!!!. A lawyer is a problem solver. For as long as there are problems in this world, there are jobs for lawyers - whether young or old. You earn money by solving problems and adding value to people's lives.

I can tell you, PERSPECTIVE is important.

There are opportunities to add value to lives, opportunities to solve problems. That's what should be your focus. That's where your real fee will come. Not your salary.

Mind you, if you are not well grounded, take the pain for a period of time, learn, learn well, learn fast.

Studying law is one of the best decisions I have made in life

Open your eyes well. There is money in legal practice!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by bukkysam(f): 1:06pm On Jul 18, 2020
hmmmmm. But they need quality footwear as well. Fake lawyer everywhere with empty upstairs. if you hire them for your case be rest assured that kirikiri is sure for you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by NewDelhi(m): 1:07pm On Jul 18, 2020
SocialJustice:
You're ignorant.
Even from your moniker, you're no doubt a lawyer.. Naso bitter truth dey pain ehn

6 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
I believe it's a system problem rather than a problem with law as a profession. Most professions are suffering due to the current state of Nigeria. Not enough jobs, the few jobs are given based on "who you know". Hence many incompetent people in positions they shouldn't be in, while the better qualified ones are jobless. It's a cycle which won't end soon sadly.
No wonder young intelligent professionals are leaving Nigerians in their numbers. Who can blame them? There's no reward for hard work and excellence.
Just mediocrity and nepotism everywhere.
This is affecting litetally every career endeavour one can think of.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 18, 2020
Manlikebaro:
Unijos LLB, Lagos BL. I just dey push for Brief and 80% of my appearance in Court is Pro Bono. Now am into Mining Supplying Quarry Stones in Abuja to Makurdi, Kaduna, Minna, Nasarawa etc Stone Dust 1 & 2, 1inch, 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, Hardcore, Boulder. @Venus Chinese Mining Company, Dutsen Baupma, Bmuko Village Bwari Area Council. 08127374765.
guy ur condition critical o grin
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 18, 2020
NewDelhi:

Even from your moniker, you're no doubt a lawyer.. Naso Butte truth dey pain ehn
Mad oooooo
grin angry angry grin grin grin
E get 1 lawyer wey Dey follow us play Bet9ja like say 2morrow no dey grin

10 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by seanwilliam(m): 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2020
lekki1444:
truth be told law is the most lucrative career ever. you can be broke today and tomorrow you can earn 100 million naira just like that. i know a guy like that named dagogo karibi whyte.. he is a lawyyer with gazillion dollars. the thing about law is that it is not meant for everybody. if you dont have an enchanting personality and tonnes of charisma just forget it. now with an enchanting personality yu will eventually find your way into the gas and oil sector or hanging with some rich politicians and you will be the one brokering deals for them and writing the legal documents and you will earn like 100 million naira a day. that is the story of my man dagogo karibi whyte.

and so yes law is extremely lucrative but if you lack charisma and the ability to schmooze with rich men just forget it
stop saying nonsense... no lawyer in this world earns 100m a day

7 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2020
Someone7:
I believe it's a system problem rather than a problem with law as a profession. Most professions are suffering due to the current state of Nigeria. Not enough jobs, the few jobs are given based on "who you know". Hence many incompetent people in positions they shouldn't be in, while the better qualified ones are jobless. It's a cycle which won't end soon sadly.
No wonder young intelligent professionals are leaving Nigerians in their numbers. Who can blame them? There's no reward for hard work and excellence.
Just mediocrity and nepotism everywhere.
This is affecting litetally every career endeavour one can think of.

I think it is cultural thing too. Cases are settled at family level here in Africa

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 1:11pm On Jul 18, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

Look at an illiterate talking.

You think civilised societies and countries that want to progress have no relevance for those courses?

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me

It also has a lot to do with the economy and our policy environment.

The average Nigerian person avoids legal issues because they're not ready to spend money, especially when they're just managing their little resources. Also, the policy environment in Nigeria makes lawyers a bit of a luxury than a necessity, which you have already stated. It's also the same thing facing the insurance profession; they can always be bypassed.

But despite all the above, lawyers are doing fantastically well. There's so much to explore both in and out of the profession. Stay confident and put your trust in God. All the best.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Komu1048(m): 1:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
Farki:
Go into property or corporate law, that's where you will find money.

Not everything must be court this court that.

Leave them there, I know some layers that are into property solicitor. And they are big, they command surveyors and valuers around and with experience many will prefer a lawyer to manage their assets and properties than any agent

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 1:14pm On Jul 18, 2020
seanwilliam:
are you serious ? you have not met high powered lawyers who broker oil deals ?

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by dreality: 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
I know of one young Lawyer in Sulela. He once worked with a senior lawyer for no salary for months. He would only be paid commission on any case he brought. In months he brought none and therefore no take-home.

After being unemployed for years now, the guy now roams the streets like one unkempt invalid. He lost his mind so much that he doesn't acknowledge when people greet him again.

Dear bros was able to spare N1k when he last saw him.

8 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by fredoooooo: 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
Dem don bastardized dat profession in naija .. na online dem dey carry their matter come now ..

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Acidosis(m): 1:19pm On Jul 18, 2020
lekki1444:
truth be told law is the most lucrative career ever. you can be broke today and tomorrow you can earn 100 million naira just like that. i know a guy like that named dagogo karibi whyte.. he is a lawyyer with gazillion dollars. the thing about law is that it is not meant for everybody. if you dont have an enchanting personality and tonnes of charisma just forget it. now with an enchanting personality yu will eventually find your way into the gas and oil sector or hanging with some rich politicians and you will be the one brokering deals for them and writing the legal documents and you will earn like 100 million naira a day. that is the story of my man dagogo karibi whyte.

and so yes law is extremely lucrative but if you lack charisma and the ability to schmooze with rich men just forget it

If in your profession, you need luck and connection to be able to make at least a decent living or basic needs, then it is not lucrative.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 1:19pm On Jul 18, 2020
opalu:
Legal profession is very lucrative. But I think the criminal justice system as a whole needs a total overhaul to come to terms with today's realities. How can u use laws used for 1980s crimes to tackle 2020 crimes? How can that work?

Laws used for 1854 crimes are still used for 2020 crimes in the US, UK, Germany or any other developed country, so this is a silly point.

Time does not affect quality of laws, it is the quality of the philosophy behind them that affect the quality of a law.

A good law is everlasting.

This is why it is good to elect sensible and intelligent legislatures. Not the likes of Yerima, Dino Melaye, Akpabio, Kashamu, Okorocha, Elisha Abbo, Nwaoboshi and all the other fools we vote for in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by seanwilliam(m): 1:20pm On Jul 18, 2020
lekki1444:
are you serious ? you have not met high powered lawyers who broker oil deals ?
no where in the world would a lawyer earn 100m daily.. it is not possible.... and no lawyer in Nigeria makes 100m weekly self

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 18, 2020
seanwilliam:
Ned Nwoko's fortune is tied to Law though. He was paid $200 million for a federal government case.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2020
Acidosis:

If in your profession, you need luck and connection to be able to make at least a decent living or basic needs, then it is not lucrative.
not a decent living, its the only profession where you can make 100 million naira in one deal if you know the right people. ask my guy here. top lawyer. oil and gas. earns gazzillion dollars a day.office in victoria island

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SavageBoy: 1:23pm On Jul 18, 2020
mkakin:
The legal profession is still very lucrative.

What has happened is that most fresh law graduates/lawyers (and graduates generally) leave school without preparing for the outside world. Many of them didn't know that the outside world is not about books and grades alone.

Simply put: Schools no longer prepare/equip students for the reality of life. Students too, most times, do not bother to equip themselves.

So if you leave school with your knowledge of books alone. You have yourself to blame!

Legal practice is very wide. And I repeat, very wide! But the eyes of the average fresh lawyer is opened mainly to litigation/corporate practice. This should not be!

You can practice law in a wide number of ways. But first, you must have passion for it. Many people now study law without that passion. The passion they have is only for the expected money/salary.

Find a way to merge your passion with your degree. Law permeates every facet of life. So, if you love music, creative arts, etc, find a way to study law as it affects those areas. Gbam! You will enjoy it. And you will earn a living.

As a fresh lawyer, do not focus so much on salary. You can be your own boss as soon as possible....and make your own money.
But first, you must make sure you know what you are doing.

That woman on your street who needs a small help with a letter to her landlord is your starting point!!! Treat her well. Be professional with her. She will recommend you to someone with higher economic value than herself. It will surprise you.

That your friend who wants to start an electronic sales outlet, keep in touch with him!

You don't go about complaining everywhere you are!!!. A lawyer is a problem solver. For as long as there are problems in this world, there are jobs for lawyers - whether young or old. You earn money by solving problems and adding value to people's lives.

I can tell you, PERSPECTIVE is important.

There are opportunities to add value to lives, opportunities to solve problems. That's what should be your focus. That's where your real fee will come. Not your salary.

Mind you, if you are not well grounded, take the pain for a period of time, learn, learn well, learn fast.

Studying law is one of the best decisions I have made in life

Open your eyes well. There is money in legal practice!

Damnnn

You are a real niggagrin
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Obynolee(f): 1:24pm On Jul 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Na all profession for the country my dear

After training and stress to get the qualifications
Still nothing to show for it

Imagine i go see one lawyer the other day concerning how he is going to help me write an agreement of a land i purchased with an approval permit

The lawyer even dey beg me make i pay twenty thousand Naira......
I was shocked.... within me i was like this amount nor to small
Trust Nigerians na..even when i know say the amount small
Still i was telling him am going to pay 15,000 naira
And funny enough he still accept last last...

He already have the said agreement in his laptop, just print it and append his signature.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
seanwilliam:
no where in the world would a lawyer earn 100m daily.. it is not possible.... and no lawyer in Nigeria makes 100m weekly self
are you serious ? before johnie cochran died he was making 50 million dollars a year, thats over 100 million naira daily.. you guys dont know nothing

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Acidosis(m): 1:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
lekki1444:
not a decent living, its the only profession where you can make 100 million naira in one deal if you know the right people. ask my guy here. top lawyer. oil and gas. earns gazzillion dollars a day.office in victoria island

The success of a few cannot be used to validate the lucrativeness of a profession with hundreds of thousand practitioners.

11 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2020
Acidosis:

The success of a few cannot be used to validate the lucrativeness of a profession with hundreds of thousand practitioners.
hence why i said it is not a profession for everybody. you have to be extremely charismatic and a great orator or else just forget it

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kirkwood: 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
Law is very lucrative. Expose yourself. We have capital markets, intellectual property, project finance, energy and power, telecommunications....lots of them...

Fact is that the profession is not meant for the small minded, and mediocres. You have to think big to succeed in it. Don't be a local champion and expect it to be lucrative for you.

Although I am extremely young at the profession, I can recall I have received tens of hundreds of emails from real, older people from around the world wanting me to be on their projects because of how I have exposed myself. How much more if I get older at the profession.

However, the profession is very much beneficial to middle-aged folks (people in their 40s and 50s) whose circles have ascended strategic positions in the society.

Of all professionals, lawyers possess enormous amount of power, and respect. If you dont think so, it means you are still playing at the base of the profession.

My advice to younger lawyers: find a niche sector; energy, water resources, sports, real estate, etc. and network deeply around them. Don't rigmarole or skirt the edges; get to their centers, their depths. Write prolificly about them. Cement your authority on these sectors and meet the real people there. Don't romanticize them; get them to be your business, your passion.

Don't be among the stranded majority who complain; be among the few who are among the richest men/women in this country. Go to the maritime industry and see for yourself, for example.

If litigation does not favour you, pivot. Nobody is taking your wig and gown away from you. Don't die trying to be a SAN before you actually become a SAN.

Think big as a 21st Century lawyer or you perish...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Acidosis(m): 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Na all profession for the country my dear

After training and stress to get the qualifications
Still nothing to show for it

Imagine i go see one lawyer the other day concerning how he is going to help me write an agreement of a land i purchased with an approval permit

The lawyer even dey beg me make i pay twenty thousand Naira......
I was shocked.... within me i was like this amount nor to small
Trust Nigerians na..even when i know say the amount small
Still i was telling him am going to pay 15,000 naira
And funny enough he still accept last last...

You only paid for his signature and ID. The said agreement can be found by simply using Google. Most business centres have these agreements and contracts of sales in their numbers. I have a lot too on my laptop, and I'm not a lawyer.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by seanwilliam(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

Ned Nwoko's fortune is tied to Law though. He was paid $200 million for a federal government case.
I doubt it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos / 76-Year-Old Borno Civil Sevant Who Still Collects N675 As Pension (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.