Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,642 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (27282 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart:

Laws used for 1854 crimes are still used for 2020 crimes in the US, UK, Germany or any other developed country, so this is a silly point.

Time does not affect quality of laws, it is the quality of the philosophy behind them that affect the quality of a law.

A good law is everlasting.

This is why it is good to elect sensible and intelligent legislatures. Not the likes of Yerima, Dino Melaye, Akpabio, Kashamu, Okorocha, Elisha Abbo, Nwaoboshi and all the other fools we vote for in Nigeria.

Law is law but it is also dynamic.

Liberal nations have changed their marriage and matrimonial causes act to reflect gay marriage, contract marriage and even bestiality.

Forensic science evidence have been included in the Evidence Act of technologically advanced nations.

Copyright laws have been extended to the internet and social media in advanced nations. Do you know how many bloggers copy other bloggers and paste verbatim on their blogs in Nigeria? Imagine if they Copyright Law of Nigeria went beyond textbooks and CDs prohibition.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by abduljabbar4(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
NO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 18, 2020
lekki1444:
not a decent living, its the only profession where you can make 100 million naira in one deal if you know the right people. ask my guy here. top lawyer. oil and gas. earns gazzillion dollars a day.office in victoria island
Stop embarrassing yourself with empty figures.How much does oil companies make in a day ? Is it everyday oil companies are having cases? Don't oil companies have their own legal unit? You are calling figures like a beer parlour illiterate

11 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by lekki1444: 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2020
myboy2111:

Stop embarrassing yourself with empty figures.
are you serious ? before johnie cochran died he was making the equivalent of 54 million naira a day. yall just dont know. i have the documents
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 18, 2020

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SocialJustice: 1:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
NewDelhi:

Even from your moniker, you're no doubt a lawyer.. Naso bitter truth dey pain ehn
Lol, read my response to vianna and educate yourself.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by TheExclusive: 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2020
Lawyers are not restricted to the court only. Most companies have a legal dept that requires lawyers. Also, the audits firms have tax units where lawyers can fit in and grow a career.

PS: lecturing jobs are also there. You can pursue your career up to PhD level join any of the universities home or abroad

6 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2020
TheExclusive:
Lawyers are not restricted to the court only. Most companies have a legal dept that requires lawyers. Also, the audits firms have tax units where lawyers can fit in and grow a career.
Taxation is for Accountants,that is why Accountants succeed more in taxation than lawyers.
No Audit Firm will hire a lawyer to handle tax over an accountant. It is very rare.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by MATURELION: 1:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
MiddleDimension:

you being disillusioned is what happens when you go into a thing for the money it provides.
so you don't need money to pursue your dreams or what?, keep forming woke and passionate till hunger wire you proper there are little to no dreams in a nation that is struggling to feed cos that's the current priority... once you solve the issue of hunger and basic amenities other things can come as an addition, also don't think we are on the same levels as Americans those guys have solved most of their basic problems and are still solving

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

Liberal nations have changed their marriage and matrimonial causes act to reflect gay marriage, contract marriage and even bestiality.

Forensic science evidence have been included in the Evidence Act of technologically advanced nations.

Copyright laws have been extended to the internet and social media in advanced nations. Do you know how many bloggers copy other bloggers and paste verbatim on their blogs in Nigeria? Imagine if they Copyright Law of Nigeria went beyond textbooks and CDs prohibition.

True.

I never said some laws cannot change or new laws cannot emerge. The latter is the whole point of quality of philosophy of a law.

What I objected to was someone stupidly saying because a law is old, it is wrong/obsolete.

A law with good philosophy is everlasting.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by mexbee1(m): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.

Its is a very overrated proffesion now in Nija na only for University dem get level hahahah

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by MATURELION: 1:51pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

don't mind him he doesn't know it's those same laws that they refuse to change/tweak that is drawing this nation back, they even want to introduce sharia law which is as old as what I don't know and doesn't work in democratic setting
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by YelloweWest: 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
HisRoyalHardnes:
Most female lawyers study law to get married and most males just to be addressed as The Bar. Lol.

80% have not read much hence are empty ... That's why old lawyers are the boss.
Do u have an idea how much reading it takes to pass tge Barr final exam
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by TheExclusive: 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
myboy2111:

Taxation is for Accountants,that is why Accountants succeed more in taxation than lawyers.
No Audit Firm will hire a lawyer to handle tax over an accountant. It is very rare.

Not to handle tax, but to pursue a career in tax audit

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by olaniyilukman(m): 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
Honestly,, there are some courses in Nigeria that doesn't worth the stress at all. Like myself now, I studied Public Administration and I am into Automatic Transmission Technician now... I charge general service not less than #10000 excluding the money for ATF and I do the task within an hour...

6 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Emanodimo(m): 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
koonbey:
It's more lucrative than ever. It's just restricted to certain people in specific sectors.

I had the choice to study law or Int'l rel but I opt for the latter cuz I need where I can think through on something not about What ur Lordship said. Hence, there knowledge is limited but they try to fit in all jackass.

Back to ur comment, yes it is lucrative than ever for the rich, buiz oriented one, political spokesman and corporate ones...

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2020
TheExclusive:

Not to handle tax, but to pursue a career in tax audit
Got you. Not only tax audit but Taxation as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by ringi82(m): 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
Depends on your perspective.. If you studying law to become rich, you'll get utterly disappointed. If u studying law for the love and passion you have for the profession, you will never regret it. Most students of law just came across it for mundane reasons, maybe by pressure from either or both parents, who may be lawyers too, or an escape from science class or the last resort to get rich or gain respect from your peers. It's clearly apparent in the court rooms.
The law profession is a noble profession, and NOT a lucrative one if your eyes are set on riches.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by rhames(m): 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:

Every profession is under the control of senior members of each profession and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed.

What I believe is today's graduates don't want to work their way up to the Pinnacle of their profession or vocation.

Make that sacrifice early in your life to learn. The achievers in any profession made sacrifices early in their career development.

The profession is lucrative but some people have painted it with bad reputation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by tomdon(m): 2:02pm On Jul 18, 2020
Forget oo
Law is a fulltime profession. It entails a whole lot. It can't be done part time
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Kevinsamba: 2:04pm On Jul 18, 2020
As a lawyer, you have to be dynamic
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by goaldynboy: 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2020
Mikkymilli:
The day I saw a post in nairaland where a lawyer said he earns 15k a month, i thanked God for my own life and I begged God to forgive me for all the times I've been ungrateful. I'm a private school teacher and I don't earn much(when school was still in section), not even up to 40k but on seeing the salary of a Nigerian lawyer that stayed 5 years in school and also went to law school, i became appreciative of what I have.

Don't be deceived! Those young lawyers earning 15k still amass up to 200k monthly from the goings-on in the firm! It all depends on the firm he works! Moreover, that lawyer earning 15k can make N20m in one business deal, even while still working under his principal!

That's why they say no employer can pay a lawyer!

Look around you, you won't see a lawyer starving!!

Look again, you will see that most wealthy people are lawyers!!!!!!!!!!

But the profession requires PATIENCE sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Meenatnigeria(f): 2:07pm On Jul 18, 2020
Legal practice still pays but only if you know people in the A list firms and probably if you have got great result, most A list firms prefer to take lawyers with great results both from the university and law school.
Study well if you don’t want to end up as ‘a charge and bail’ with a faded black suit tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Heavensent01(m): 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
law or no law if you no get connection in this country, except Grace found you, you go suffer

I don dropped to further my masters since I realized that, success is not about the numbers of certificates at your disposal but rather the ability to get what you want without disturbing anybody
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart:

True.

I never said some laws cannot change or new laws cannot emerge. The latter is the whole point of quality of philosophy of a law.

What I objected to was someone stupidly saying because a law is old, it is wrong/obsolete.

A law with good philosophy is everlasting.

Does Adam v Lindsell postal rule still apply today in email transactions? For two centuries the postal rule was regarded as a good law.

Law and morality are distinct. According to John Austin , Law is the what the sovereign authority says it is. There is nothing like a good law. Serial killers and mass shooters in American States where capital punishment is prohibited have been given life sentences when the families of the victims demanded death by hanging or electrocution. The families of the victims do not think it is good law while families of the convicted are satisfied. What about divorce laws that have given the fortune of wealthy men as alimony to their spouses who contributed no business advice other than being their marriage partner? See, it's good law to the feminist community and bad law to men who have worked hard to make a mark.

You see, the law is an ass. One can always twist it to suit him. To be "good" and to be "moral" are two distinctive conditions. While the former is objective, the latter is subjective. We have moral laws or non moral laws. There's never been a time in history that humans of any country or race have unanimously acknowledged that law is good.

By the way, there are more poor lawyers than rich ones.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SQMrProducer(m): 2:11pm On Jul 18, 2020
You hit the nail on the head. The legal profession covers all facet of life so it is up to the individual to find what is best for him or her
mkakin:
The legal profession is still very lucrative.

What has happened is that most fresh law graduates/lawyers (and graduates generally) leave school without preparing for the outside world. Many of them didn't know that the outside world is not about books and grades alone.

Simply put: Schools no longer prepare/equip students for the reality of life. Students too, most times, do not bother to equip themselves.

So if you leave school with your knowledge of books alone. You have yourself to blame!

Legal practice is very wide. And I repeat, very wide! But the eyes of the average fresh lawyer is opened mainly to litigation/corporate practice. This should not be!

You can practice law in a wide number of ways. But first, you must have passion for it. Many people now study law without that passion. The passion they have is only for the expected money/salary.

Find a way to merge your passion with your degree. Law permeates every facet of life. So, if you love music, creative arts, etc, find a way to study law as it affects those areas. Gbam! You will enjoy it. And you will earn a living.

As a fresh lawyer, do not focus so much on salary. You can be your own boss as soon as possible....and make your own money.
But first, you must make sure you know what you are doing.

That woman on your street who needs a small help with a letter to her landlord is your starting point!!! Treat her well. Be professional with her. She will recommend you to someone with higher economic value than herself. It will surprise you.

That your friend who wants to start an electronic sales outlet, keep in touch with him!

You don't go about complaining everywhere you are!!!. A lawyer is a problem solver. For as long as there are problems in this world, there are jobs for lawyers - whether young or old. You earn money by solving problems and adding value to people's lives.

I can tell you, PERSPECTIVE is important.

There are opportunities to add value to lives, opportunities to solve problems. That's what should be your focus. That's where your real fee will come. Not your salary.

Mind you, if you are not well grounded, take the pain for a period of time, learn, learn well, learn fast.

Studying law is one of the best decisions I have made in life

Open your eyes well. There is money in legal practice!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
Yes Why not..
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Blankstare(m): 2:15pm On Jul 18, 2020
Louisananda7:
The real situation is that no course is lucrative again in Nigeria, even medicine

Am beginning to internalise this fact, when you visit our teaching hospitals and experience how doctors discharge their duties, you will be very very disappointed.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by babtoundey(m): 2:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
You've said the fact. It is just that it isn't peculiar to law as a profession. Studying most of the supposed lucrative and attractive professions in Nigeria, particularly the highly competitive ones are turning out to be a total waste of time, energy and precious resources.
What's the use going to school to learn something you may never need or that may never earn you tangible and reliable means of livelihood.

It isn't not just law. The concept of education in Nigeria is a fraud. The FG has proved it so by encouraging, advising and coercing graduates who spent years in school learning to be lawyers, engineers, bankers etc to learn menial skills like barbing, tailoring and shoe making during NYSC camping. These days what you become or get out of life doesn't depend entirely on what you study in school.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Clonepops(m): 2:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
koonbey:
It's more lucrative than ever. It's just restricted to certain people in specific sectors.

Like which sectors
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by MrKaplan: 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2020
Tough people like us don't require services of attornies to represent us. personally, I represent myself in all legal matters. So you can see why the demand for lawyers are fast decreasing. My only need for a lawyer is to keep in custody, my will or testament and execute same when the need arises.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Croatian Firefighters Respond To Emergency Just Before Rakitic Played Penalty / How To Look Busy At Work Without Really Working / Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.