Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. - Politics (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (73702 Views)

Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by fstranger3(m): 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. I believe the first motion for independence was by Enahoro in 1953, apparently. And Enahoro is not Yoruba.

Again, there is a difference between moving a motion for self rule Vs. moving a motion for independence. I understand how both can be misconstrued, but here is an article for you to ruminate on:

There has been so much confusion, misunderstanding and misinformation about who actually moved the motion for Nigeria's independence. Given the fact that Nigeria will be 50 years old on October 1st and it marks our jubilee year as an independent nation I believe that it is time to to set the record straight and bring this matter to closure. And in order to do so successfully we must be guided by facts and historical records and not by sentiment or political considerations. The moment we allow our recollection or knowledge of history to be guided or beclouded by such perennial considerations we are finished as a people. The truth is that almost 90 per cent of Nigerians have been brought up to believe that the motion for Nigeria's independence was successfully moved by Chief Anthony Enahoro, a man that is undoubtedly one of our most revered nationalists and founding fathers. Though nothing can be taken away from Chief Enahoro in terms of his monumental contributions in our quest for independence (I would argue that he kicked off the process for that struggle with his gallant efforts in 1953)[b] the fact remains that he was not the man that successfully moved the motion for Nigeria's independence. Another group of Nigerians believe that Chief S.L. Akintola, another great nationalist and elder statesman and the former Premier of the old Western Region, was responsible for the successful movement of the motion for Nigeria's independence. Again though there is no doubt that Chief Akintola played a major and critical role in the whole process, he was not the one that successfully moved the motion for Nigeria's independence. There is yet another school of thought that says that it was Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the much loved former Prime Minister of blessed memory that was the first to successfully move the motion for Nigeria's independence. Again this is not historically accurate. [/b]Sir Tafawa Balewa's 1959 motion was not the first successful motion for our independence and neither was it in actual fact a motion for independence at all. It was rather a motion to amend an already existing motion which had already been successfully moved and passed by Parliament and which had been accepted and acquiesced to by the British in 1958. That successful 1958 motion was moved by none other than my late father of blessed memory, Chief Remilekun Adetokunboh Fani-Kayode Q.C., S.A.N, C.O.N, the former Deputy Premier of Nigeria's Western Region. Not only did he play a major role in the movement of the motion for Nigeria's independence but, as a matter of fact, his was the first successful motion for independence in Parliament that was accepted by the British and it was actually the one that got us our independence. His motion, which was moved in Parliament on the platform of the Action Group in July 1958, was actually the landmark and most significant motion of all when it comes to the issue of our independence. Let us look at the history, the records and the facts.
[b]You will recall that Chief Anthony Enahoro moved a motion for ''self rule'' in the Federal House in 1953 which proposed that we should have our independence in 1956. Unfortunately it was rejected by Parliament and it therefore failed. It also resulted in a walk out by the northern NPC parliamentarians who were of the view that Nigeria was not yet ready for independence. [/b]The tensions and acrimony that came from all this and the terrible treatment that was meted out to the northern parliamentarians and leaders that were in the south as a result of the fact that they would not support Enahoro's motion resulted in the infamous Kano riots of 1953. In 1957 Chief S.L. Akintola moved a second motion for independence in Parliament and asked for us to gain our independence from the British in 1959. This motion was passed by the Federal House but the British authorities refused to acquiesce to it and consequently it failed. In 1958 my father moved the third motion for Nigeria's independence in the Federal Parliament and he asked that Nigeria should be given her independence on April 2nd 1960. The motion was not only passed by Parliament but it was also acquiesced to by the British and was therefore successful. That was indeed a great day and a great achievement for Nigeria. However in 1959, at the instance of the British Colonial authorities who said that they needed a few more months to put everything in place before leaving our shores, Sir Tafawa Balewa moved a motion for a slight amendment to be made to the original 1958 motion that had been passed and approved to the effect that the date of independence should be shifted from April 2nd to Oct. 1st instead. Sir Tafawa Balewa's motion for amendment was seconded by Chief Raymond Njoku, the Minister of Transport, and it was acquiesced to by the British. That is how we arrived at the date October 1st 1960 for our independence. The details of all this can be found in Hansard (which are the official record of proceedings of Parliament) and they can also be found in what in my view is one of the most detailed, authoritative and well-researched history books that has ever been written when it comes to the politics of the 50's in Nigeria titled "Nigerian Political Parties: Power in an Emergent African Nation" by the respected American historian, Professor Richard L. Sklar.
On page 269 of his book Sklar wrote the following "in July 1958, barrister Fani-Kayode had the distinction of moving the resolution for independence on April 2nd 1960, which was supported by all the parties in the Federal House of Representatives". Another excellent book that covers this topic and era very well is titled "Glimpses into Nigeria's History" and was written by Professor Sanya Onabamiro, a highly distinguished elder statesman and nationalist in his own right who was also one of the main political players at the time.
At pg.140 of his book and in reference to Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Premier of the Northern Region, Onabamiro wrote: "he was the bridge between the north and the south, between the old and the new, between the fast and the slow. Without such a bridge to swing the votes of the Northern members of the House of Representatives in support of the southern members, there was little hope that the crucial motion on “independence on April 2nd 1960" moved by an Action Group member of the House of Representatives in July 1958, would receive the unanimous endorsement of all the parties in the House as it did". Professor Onabamiro was writing about the Fani-Kayode motion of July 1958 and the "Action Group member" that he was referring to was my father. This is contrary to the assumption of some, including my dear and late egbon Chief Ladi Akintola (the distinguished son of the late Chief S.L. Akintola) who, in an article titled, "Between Akintola and Enahoro" which was written in 2001, wrote that when Onabamiro wrote this he was writing in reference to the motion that his father had previously moved on the same issue in 1957. Ladi Akintola was wrong. The 1957 motion which Akintola moved had asked for our independence in 1959 and though it was indeed passed by the Federal House it was not accepted or acquiesced to by the British. Consequently, just like the Enahoro motion of 1953, it failed and this is why we did not get our independence in 1959.
From the foregoing you can see that the successful movement of the motion for our independence in Parliament was as a result of the collective efforts of a number of prominent and notable people from different parts of the country and from different political parties that worked closely together on this issue over a period of time in the Federal House and that my father was one of those people. As a matter of fact he played a key and critical role in the proceedings.[size=15pt] His 1958 motion for independence was highly significant because it was the only successful one and it was the one that actually got us independence in 1960. [/size]As I said earlier Tafawa Balewa's motion was not a motion for independence but rather a motion to slightly amend the original one that had already been approved by the House and acquiesed to by the British. The simple answer to the question as to who moved the motion to Nigeria's independence, in my view, is that Chiefs Anthony Enahoro, Samuel Ladoke Akintola, Remi Fani-Kayode, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and Raymond Njoku, together with their respective political parties (Action Group, NPC and NCNC) all played major and key roles in this exercise and the credit for the successful passing of that motion should go not just to all those who, at different times, moved or attempted to the move the various motions but also to every single member of Parliament that sat on the relevant days and that voted for the various motions to be passed.

http://www.femifanikayode.org/published-articles.html
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by matazzmagi(m): 5:22pm On Feb 13, 2011
As was explained by Commodore Wey and the I.G. the situation in the country on the 29th of July or thereafter was so bad that Ogundipe was not in any position to take over. It was the same thing with me. I could not take over in any case because the situation was so very confused and we knew what was happening and we knew that if either Ogundipe or myself had said we wanted to take over. I do not think we would have lasted twenty-four hours." -- Adeyinka Adebayo former Western Governor at Aburi,
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by fstranger3(m): 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

3. The North had 1 college educated individual by 1956?! I know they had few, but provide a source for a claim of only one.

I can't really get hold of the article right now,but this should shed a lil more light.

PERMIT me to start this very important topic with an instructive quotation from a document, entitled: Ibo National Caucus-protocol and marked “secret and confidential” by Igbo leaders during the turbulent political situation arising from the Action Group (AG) crisis in the Western Region in the early 60s. The document stated inter alia:

“Play up Awolowo at all times, this will keep up the resistance of the Action Group members and stop them from uniting with the NNDP to form a solid Yoruba front. This is vital and there is no longer a headache or danger to us. Intensify all propaganda against Akintola. Don’t hold that he is sufficiently discredited already; he is still dangerous. We must always keep the quarrel between himself and the Action Group alive. This will ensure the disunity amongst the Yoruba leaders. Seek all means to discredit Fani-Kayode. He is the real and only barrier to OUR ULTIMATE DOMINATION OF THE WEST AND OUR ULTIMATE CONTROL OF THE FEDERATION.”

For the Yoruba, one of the major ethnic nationalities that make up the conglomeration called Nigeria, things have not been what they suppose to be for them in most cases in the polity, especially since independence. Things were even not as bad as they are now for the Yoruba ethnic group when the late Hubert Ogunde alerted the Yoruba to their shameful and avoidable descent into a pitiable situation in his popular song, “Yoruba ronu,” released in the early 60s. It was an advice for members of the Yoruba nation then to think deeply about the ignominy which had become their lot in the scheme of things within the political contraption called Nigeria.

According to the late renowned artiste, as a result of the careless (if not senseless) attitude of some Yoruba quislings then, the Yoruba nation was turned to a football for other competing ethnic groups in the polity to kick about in all directions of the nation’s murky political playing field. The pathetic current situation of the Yoruba in the scheme of things since independence becomes obvious when juxtaposed with their divine placement for excellence and leadership role in modernisation process.

For many decades, the Yoruba people were far ahead of their compatriots in other ethnic groups in the country in terms of Western education, both in quality and quantity, and consequently access to modern civilisation. For instance, the first university graduate among the Igbo nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe, did not emerge until 1934 and the first Igbo medical doctor, Francis Akanu Ibiam, was not produced until 1935. Also, the first university graduate in the whole of the defunct Northern Region, Dikko, did not emerge until 1952.

But, in sharp contrast, the Yoruba nation had started producing university graduates, medical doctors, bishops and engineers since 1876. They included Dr Nathaniel Thomas King; Isaac Oluwole; Alexander Akinyele; Charles Phillips; James Johnson; Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (1864) etc.

Implicit in the above is the hard fact that the Yoruba ethnic group was far ahead of other ethnic groups in the country in modern civilisation. Others looked up to them mainly for direction to modern civilisation. This explains why Yorubaland became the beehives of activities that tended to showcase modern civilisation.

The sophistication of the Yoruba could partly explain the exclusive great landmarks under the premiership of the sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo. First class civil servants in the Western Region then made the Western Region civil service to be the best in the whole of Africa. The well planned and dexterously executed free primary education of the time remains a unique reference point throughout the country today.

The programme was so credible that even the premier himself and his top government functionaries could not hesitate to register their children in such public schools, unlike today that having one’s child in public primary school signifies the acme of penury. With various landmarks under Chief Awolowo, Western Region became the cynosure of all eyes, not only in Nigeria, but in the whole of Africa. Then, any Yoruba man or woman could boldly and proudly sing a song waxed by one of them to portray the cheering situation in the West. The song says: “Oh my dear lover, Western Region lawa, a jurawa.”

But things have turned upside down for the once vibrant people. Why? This is the main question. Why the descent into social and political backwardness? Agreed, Obasanjo is considered to be a Yoruba man and was at the helms of the nation’s affairs for good eight years apart from the three and a half years he spent as military head of state. But, this is subject to a debate. Obasanjo himself knows that his political factor is a minus rather than plus for the Yoruba nation.

What has made the Yoruba nation so susceptible to bastardisation and relegation by other ethnic nationalities in the country? Why was it possible for the satanically goggled General to attempt the total decimation of the race with such an unreserved impunity? Why were the Yoruba people the main targets for slaughter by the rampaging Fulani in the recent Jos serial unrest? We shall start from here next week by the grace of God

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/the-hard-fact/6184-why-yoruba-must-ronu-1

Between years 1952 and 1956, there is no historical evidence, implied or recorded, to suggest that the North produced any additional college educated individual. From what I have read over the years, the second college educated graduate was produced post 1956 or just around 1956. This is not in anyway an attempt to chest beat, I am just making this point to counter your argument that Awo believed in Yoruba supremacy. He never did. He was merely stating facts and drawing conclusions from available evidence.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
fstranger3:

Again, there is a difference between moving a motion for self rule Vs. moving a motion for independence. I understand how both can be misconstrued, but here is an article for you to ruminate on:

Lol, ok, if you want to quibble over nothing, fine. Fani-Kayode moved the first motion, but there is certainly no indication that that meant Yorubas were more ready for independence than other southerners, contrary to what you asserted.

Anyway, Enahoro's speech in 1953 calling for independence in 1956 is clearly the first call for a specific date for independence. If it had not been rejected by Northerners, clearly a motion would have been moved. If the person that moved the subsequent motion happened to be an Igbo, ijaw or a Kanuri, would you then claim that the Igbo, Ijaw or the Kanuri were the most ready for self-government?  grin

Also, you initially said 1956, but now it's 1958?  undecided

I've already read that Fani-Kayode article, and it's just shameless grasping for fragments of glory that were never actually accorded to his father during that man's lifetime. Anybody could have moved that motion after the calming down of tension between Northern and Southern (AG, NCNC, etc.) politicians.

After the contemptuous speeches given by Awolowo and other southern politicians and inflammatory writings in the press against Northerners for holding up independence in 1956, and the crisis that resulted when Akintola went up North to try and convince them to relent and agree to independence in 1957, there was enormous friction. When this friction died down, they eventually reached a compromise date, and Fani-Kayode formally introduced the pre-agreed upon date.

There was no significance to the fact that it was Fani-Kayode that moved it. Enahoro's is more significant for pressing the issue. If he hadn't made it an issue so early, I think these Northerners would have rejected it in 1958, and then delayed until 1965.  grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:32pm On Feb 13, 2011
fstranger3:

I can't really get hold of the article right now,but this should shed a lil more light.

Between years 1952 and 1956, there is no historical evidence, implied or recorded, to suggest that the North produced any additional college educated individual. From what I have read over the years, the second college educated graduate was produced post 1956 or just around 1956. This is not in anyway an attempt to chest beat, I am just making this point to counter your argument that Awo believed in Yoruba supremacy. He never did. He was merely stating facts and drawing conclusions from available evidence.

Thanks for the info. Very sad how the Northerners just steered clear of real education like that.

Where did I state that Awolowo believed in Yoruba supremacy?

I admitted that I interpreted his claims about readiness for self-rule wrongly, however, I stated that he had an explicitly Yoruba agenda and claims of cultural superiority. The saga leading up to the creation of the Midwest showed a Yoruba agenda and the claims of perceived cultural superiority are from Awolowo's own words.

Anyway, I can provide a quote not from Awolowo directly, but from people from that era that suggests that Awolowo had a low opinion of Northerners, but not right away (I don't have the book with me).
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by ekubear1: 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
How is that even possible? Kwara was classified as part of the North. Surely Jarus's town (Offa) had at least several college graduates by 1950.

What of teacher's college grads?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 1:57pm On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

PERMIT me to start this very important topic with an instructive quotation from a document, entitled: Ibo National Caucus-protocol and marked “secret and confidential” by Igbo leaders during the turbulent political situation arising from the Action Group (AG) crisis in the Western Region in the early 60s. The document stated inter alia:

“Play up Awolowo at all times, this will keep up the resistance of the Action Group members and stop them from uniting with the NNDP to form a solid Yoruba front. This is vital and there is no longer a headache or danger to us. Intensify all propaganda against Akintola. Don’t hold that he is sufficiently discredited already; he is still dangerous. We must always keep the quarrel between himself and the Action Group alive. This will ensure the disunity amongst the Yoruba leaders. Seek all means to discredit Fani-Kayode. He is the real and only barrier to OUR ULTIMATE DOMINATION OF THE WEST AND OUR ULTIMATE CONTROL OF THE FEDERATION.”

For the Yoruba, one of the major ethnic nationalities that make up the conglomeration called Nigeria, things have not been what they suppose to be for them in most cases in the polity, especially since independence. Things were even not as bad as they are now for the Yoruba ethnic group when the late Hubert Ogunde alerted the Yoruba to their shameful and avoidable descent into a pitiable situation in his popular song, “Yoruba ronu,” released in the early 60s. It was an advice for members of the Yoruba nation then to think deeply about the ignominy which had become their lot in the scheme of things within the political contraption called Nigeria.

According to the late renowned artiste, as a result of the careless (if not senseless) attitude of some Yoruba quislings then, the Yoruba nation was turned to a football for other competing ethnic groups in the polity to kick about in all directions of the nation’s murky political playing field. The pathetic current situation of the Yoruba in the scheme of things since independence becomes obvious when juxtaposed with their divine placement for excellence and leadership role in modernisation process.

For many decades, the Yoruba people were far ahead of their compatriots in other ethnic groups in the country in terms of Western education, both in quality and quantity, and consequently access to modern civilisation. For instance, the first university graduate among the Igbo nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe, did not emerge until 1934 and the first Igbo medical doctor, Francis Akanu Ibiam, was not produced until 1935. Also, the first university graduate in the whole of the defunct Northern Region, Dikko, did not emerge until 1952.

[b]But, in sharp contrast, the Yoruba nation had started producing university graduates, medical doctors, bishops and engineers since 1876. They included Dr Nathaniel Thomas King; Isaac Oluwole; Alexander Akinyele; Charles Phillips; James Johnson; Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (1864) etc.[/b]Implicit in the above is the hard fact that the Yoruba ethnic group was far ahead of other ethnic groups in the country in modern civilisation. Others looked up to them mainly for direction to modern civilisation. This explains why Yorubaland became the beehives of activities that tended to showcase modern civilisation.

The sophistication of the Yoruba could partly explain the exclusive great landmarks under the premiership of the sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo. First class civil servants in the Western Region then made the Western Region civil service to be the best in the whole of Africa. The well planned and dexterously executed free primary education of the time remains a unique reference point throughout the country today.

The programme was so credible that even the premier himself and his top government functionaries could not hesitate to register their children in such public schools, unlike today that having one’s child in public primary school signifies the acme of penury. With various landmarks under Chief Awolowo, Western Region became the cynosure of all eyes, not only in Nigeria, but in the whole of Africa. Then, any Yoruba man or woman could boldly and proudly sing a song waxed by one of them to portray the cheering situation in the West. The song says: “Oh my dear lover, Western Region lawa, a jurawa.”

But things have turned upside down for the once vibrant people. Why? This is the main question. Why the descent into social and political backwardness? Agreed, Obasanjo is considered to be a Yoruba man and was at the helms of the nation’s affairs for good eight years apart from the three and a half years he spent as military head of state. But, this is subject to a debate. Obasanjo himself knows that his political factor is a minus rather than plus for the Yoruba nation.

What has made the Yoruba nation so susceptible to bastardisation and relegation by other ethnic nationalities in the country? Why was it possible for the satanically goggled General to attempt the total decimation of the race with such an unreserved impunity? Why were the Yoruba people the main targets for slaughter by the rampaging Fulani in the recent Jos serial unrest? We shall start from here next week by the grace of God

This is one of those deceitful conjures to defraud undiscerning onlooker. Everybody listed in bolded sentences was returnee or free slave from Freetown, Sierra Leone. Zik was one of the free persons from the protectorates to earn a College degree.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by fstranger3(m): 2:43pm On Feb 14, 2011
Dede1:

This is one of those deceitful conjures to defraud undiscerning onlooker. Everybody listed in bolded sentences was returnee or free slave from Freetown, Sierra Leone. Zik was one of the free persons from the protectorates to earn a College degree.

Look young man, there is a longer list than that. And yes, you are very stupid to have referred Alexander Akinyele and Isaac Oluwole as either returning slaves or Freetown natives.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by odogwux(m): 2:48pm On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

I remember reading this article last year and I felt sick to my stomach. Its not a secret which way the Tribune newspaper leans so I wasnt surprised. i was however surprised at the audacity of such beer parlour journalism. Blaming Igbo leaders for the crisis that rocked South West Nigeria  is at best a sad and pathetic joke. there are better ways of rallying unity than blaming others for your misfortune. Awolowo and Akintola feud had nothing to do with Igbo leaders who i noticed were not named. I have written severally  to the author of that article for clarification and he hasnt been able to answer questions i put to him. Till  he does this article is officially junk
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 3:23pm On Feb 14, 2011
Dede1:

fstranger3:

Look young man, there is a longer list than that. And yes, you are very silly to have referred Alexander Akinyele and Isaac Oluwole as either returning slaves or Freetown natives.

Dede1

Why is every thread a competition for you. One would have expected that you would have listed the Igbo sons who returned from slavery as well who were one of the first to get university degrees, instead you argue that the individuals listed were returnee slaves or from Sierra Leone. Secondly, Alexander Akinyele was born and bred in Ibadan. Samuel Crowther was born in Osogun, the fact that he was captured and returned to Nigeria does not make him any less Yoruba. Charles Phillips was from Ondo whilst Isaac Oluwole and James Johnson were born to Yoruba (Egba) parents who were freed in Sierra Leone.

Were the children of British administrators who spent many years in Nigeria, British or Nigerian? I am beginning to suspect that you do not know the meaning of the word 'Conjecture'. What is conjecture about the heritage of the people mentioned above? It is a fact that they are of Yoruba heritage, so where did conjecture arise from? Please try to introduce logic and objectivity into your arguments and rely less on emotions. What does it matter that the first Nigerians to get degrees sometime in the 19th were Yoruba. We are in the 21st century and both the Yoruba, Igbo and other ethnic groups should be concentrating on educating their children for the future. The first universities were in the middle east, are Arabs leading innovation and change today?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 5:13pm On Feb 14, 2011
Katsumoto:

Dede1

Why is every thread a competition for you. One would have expected that you would have listed the Igbo sons who returned from slavery as well who were one of the first to get university degrees, instead you argue that the individuals listed were returnee slaves or from Sierra Leone. Secondly, Alexander Akinyele was born and bred in Ibadan. Samuel Crowther was born in Osogun, the fact that he was captured and returned to Nigeria does not make him any less Yoruba. Charles Phillips was from Ondo whilst Isaac Oluwole and James Johnson were born to Yoruba (Egba) parents who were freed in Sierra Leone.

Were the children of British administrators who spent many years in Nigeria, British or Nigerian? I am beginning to suspect that you do not know the meaning of the word 'Conjecture'. What is conjecture about the heritage of the people mentioned above? It is a fact that they are of Yoruba heritage, so where did conjecture arise from? Please try to introduce logic and objectivity into your arguments and rely less on emotions. What does it matter that the first Nigerians to get degrees sometime in the 19th were Yoruba. We are in the 21st century and both the Yoruba, Igbo and other ethnic groups should be concentrating on educating their children for the future. The first universities were in the middle east, are Arabs leading innovation and change today?

No, all the post is not competition to me but it is zeal to right the facts regardless the remoteness. The post in discuss was not about heritage but advancement of ethnic regions in certain areas of human endeavor. I have no qualms if being sold into slavery was among the routes to greatness. However, the article’s intent with regards to on-going debate was deceitful at best. Except for one individual listed, the other persons were connected with slavery, born in Sierra Leone and claim of Yoruba heritage.

Our posts to public consumption should endeavor to present balanced and rational facts. After all, the first school of university grade was established in Yoruba land and did not deter other ethnic nationalities in Nigeria to equal or in some case surpass the Yoruba in the field of academia.

By the way, thanks for insult about conjecture.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 5:45pm On Feb 14, 2011
Dede1:

No, all the post is not competition to me but it is zeal to right the facts regardless the remoteness. The post in discuss was not about heritage but advancement of ethnic regions in certain areas of human endeavor. I have no qualms if being sold into slavery was among the routes to greatness. However, the article’s intent with regards to on-going debate was deceitful at best. Except for one individual listed, the other persons were connected with slavery, born in Sierra Leone and claim of Yoruba heritage.

Our posts to public consumption should endeavor to present balanced and rational facts. After all, the first school of university grade was established in Yoruba land and did not deter other ethnic nationalities in Nigeria to equal or in some case surpass the Yoruba in the field of academia.

By the way, thanks for insult about conjecture.

No insult intended; just questioning your rampant over-use of the word. Anyway, I apologise if you took offence. I look forward to our next debate. cool
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:56pm On Feb 14, 2011
eku_bear:

How is that even possible? Kwara was classified as part of the North. Surely Jarus's town (Offa) had at least several college graduates by 1950.

What of teacher's college grads?

The article probably meant the real North, not the Yoruba north.

Balewa had a some 2-year British certificate, I believe. I'm not sure. But not a real bachelor's.

I don't think they had colleges of education at that time.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by dayokanu(m): 8:30pm On Feb 14, 2011
Can't we have a list of Igbo freed slaves who had a degree too or were Igbos marginalised (as usual) by the Freetown admission officers?

Dede1:

Tell us how Alexander AKinyele was a returnee or free slave.

I believe that a woman Lady Kofo Ademola begged her Bachelors at least 10yrs before Azikwe.

Some perspective about early education in Nigeria

By 1879 the Yoruba had produced their first graduate, a lawyer by name Sapara Williams. In contrast, the first Igbo graduate could not emerge until about 1934. I believe his name was Dr. S. Onwu, a medical doctor.

http://www.kwenu.com/lectures/madubuike_orient.htm

By this reference from an Igbo website shows at least a 50yrs difference.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 10:50pm On Feb 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Can't we have a list of Igbo freed slaves who had a degree too or were Igbos marginalised (as usual) by the Freetown admission officers?

Tell us how Alexander AKinyele was a returnee or free slave.

I believe that a woman Lady Kofo Ademola begged her Bachelors at least 10yrs before Azikwe.

Some perspective about early education in Nigeria

http://www.kwenu.com/lectures/madubuike_orient.htm

By this reference from an Igbo website shows at least a 50yrs difference.

This is another series of irresponsible claims dotting the surface of nairaland. The fact remains that Lady Kofo Ademola, the daughter of Barrister Eric Moore and wife of Sir Adetokumbo Ademola had not gained admission when Zik obtained his first degree.

As of the Barrister Christopher Alexander Sapara-Williams, I must admit he was another born in Free-town, Sierra Leone of liberated slave parentage who claimed Yoruba.

These numerous claims of Yoruba have something to with Lagos as the British colony. In fact, most of the returnees were encouraged to visit Lagos by the Governor-General of the colony.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 10:52pm On Feb 14, 2011
Katsumoto:

No insult intended; just questioning your rampant over-use of the word. Anyway, I apologise if you took offence. I look forward to our next debate. cool

I did not bend out of human form though but apology accepted nonetheless.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by fstranger3(m): 10:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
Dede1:

This is another series of irresponsible claims dotting the surface of nairaland. The fact remains that Lady Kofo Ademola, the daughter of Barrister Eric Moore and wife of Sir Adetokumbo Ademola had not gained admission when Zik obtained his first degree.

As of the Barrister Christopher Alexander Sapara-Williams, I must admit he was another born in Free-town, Sierra Leone of liberated slave parentage who claimed Yoruba.

These numerous claims of Yoruba have something to with Lagos as the British colony. In fact, most of the returnees were encouraged to visit Lagos by the Governor-General of the colony.

Are you crazy?

His brother was one of the first medical doctors in Nigeria and Yes, they both have real Yoruba names

Check your facts, good for nothing old man

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1081580/pdf/medhist00118-0071.pdf

That is a brief history of the first few Nigerian doctors, most of them had traceable history to Yorubaland
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by dayokanu(m): 11:02pm On Feb 14, 2011
We know Alexander Akinyele too was born in Berlin right and was one of the free slaves, Infact he is caucasian with tribal marks
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 12:24am On Feb 15, 2011
[b Katsumoto wrote

Firstly, thanks for not resorting to insults in your post.

You are right about my assuming that Zik is not reverred in the East due to comments from Igbo sons on NL and from personal interactions with friends. No sampling of any kind has been done to that effect. But I must state that you are one a few (I am assuming that you are Igbo) that has spoken up for Zik.[/b]

Thanks also for not resorting to insults. I actually pick and choose whom I respond to based on the maturity of his posts. The reason for this malady of insults on NL could perhaps be due to mental laziness to logically respond to issues. Anyone who has the panacea should please tell us while those who do not go down into that gutter should continue keeping their heads even when insulted and help call others to order

Haven accepted that you had no proofs to that assertion about Zik's reverence or lack of it among his people, except for  the opinion of a few posters on NL and feedback from friends, posting the speech by a Zik's critic proves nothing as you rightly suspected. Zik had many critics within and outside Igboland like I know Awo did. As republican as Igbos have been known to be, it will be a shocker if Zik had no Igbo critics on NL and beyond but even at that, only on this thread, several Igbo sons have spoken up for Zik and few who did not  have openly professed they did not know much about the man and are reassessing their positions. So please the premise for your conclusion on the issue is faulty.
[b]
Coming out just from the ashes of the war Zik, in spite of the presence of prominent Igbo sons like Ekwueme, Onoh, KO, Okadigbo, Okpara and (later Ikemba in 83), in NPN and all the other 4 political parties parading Igbo vice presidential candidates, was able to get Ndigbo together to keep their own states of Imo and Anambra, win in Igbo areas of Imo and Anambra, came second in Lagos because of a large Igbo presence and the erudition of Ogunsanya, his soulmate, and yet make inroads into the North( winning Plateau state). Granted his performance dropped below that of the NCNC days but it is quite understandable considering the volume of water that had passed under the bridge.

"An imposing figure standing over six feet (1.83 metres), Azikiwe was sworn in as Nigeria's first president in 1963 when it became a republic after independence from Britain in 1960.

He remained until the first coup d'etat in 1966, which led to civil war in June 1967 when Ibos in the east seceded to set up their own state of Biafra under then Colonel Emeka Ojukwu.

An estimated one million people died, many from starvation, in the 30-month civil war.

When Azikiwe saw the hopelessness of the war, he hastened its end by returning to the federal side.

This was denounced as a sellout by the Biafran leadership, but his esteem among Ibos was such that when the army allowed elections in 1979 he again emerged as their most popular figure."[/b]http://www.h-net.org/~africa/obituaries/zik.html

"The Spirit-Man: Zik's persona is enigmatic, full of complex layers that are almost impossible to peel away completely to get at the real man

FOR MANY OF THOSE who lived in colonial Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe was a super-man sent especially to free them from alien rule. Unable to understand Zik's persona, fables were woven around him. A story has it that as a child, Zik saw an old woman carrying a heavy load. Moved with pity, he offered to help her. On reaching her home in the forest, the old woman who was in fact a spirit, asked Zik what she could do for him. Zik requested for wisdom and power. The woman obliged. She cut Zik into bits and boiled the flesh in a big pot. Later, she magically brought him back to life. On her request, Zik killed the woman to prevent her from performing the same feat for others. That explains his legendary source of wisdom and power over his fellow man.

Another has it that with the magical gift from the old woman of the forest, Zik managed to extricate Nigeria out of a deadly situation. Ages ago, the Atlantic Ocean was inhabited by a wicked mermaid who caused the water to overflow its banks perennially to drown thousands of Nigerians. For a long time, the people of Lagos prayed for a redeemer. None came. When Zik learnt of their predicament, he went into the ocean and challenged the wicked mermaid to a contest. First, Zik changed into a spirit, entered a bottle and then came out. Then he dared the mermaid to do the same. The mermaid quickly changed into a spirit and entered the bottle. But before it could come out, Zik corked the bottle and took it away. Since then the Bar Beach has been given less trouble. The moral of the fable was that if Nigerians annoyed the politician too frequently, he could release the mermaid to torment Lagosians again. Could if be that he had actually released the mermaid to cause the recent flooding of parts of Victoria Island.

Even if these myths evoke laughter there is a sense in which even those close to Zik helped to elevate him to legendary proportions"
http://emeagwali.com/nigeria/nigerians/nnamdi-azikiwe.html

I hope  you can now revise your opinion about this issue of Zik's reverence in Igboland and even beyond.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 1:05am On Feb 15, 2011
Katsumoto wrote
I am not demozing Zik; I am simply stating that given his stance before the cross-carpeting incident, he should have attempted to become the premier of the East rather than the premier of the West. Given Awo's love of everything Yoruba, wouldn't it have been funny for him to attempt to become premier of the East? Lets be pragmatic and realistic rather than idealistic. It would be nice if we live in an idealistic world but we don't, besides one man's idealism is another man's hell.

Of course hindsight they say is 20/20 but many who ask this question have not tried to understand the man Zik and Zikism and where NCNC was coming from.
Zik was a pan Africanist and  a pan-nigerianist before being an Igboist. Anybody who grasps this will be able to understand many of the things he did like 1/going to start his Nationalist movement in Ghana instead of Nigeria, 2/ Coming back to live in the west instead of the East and giving his children yoruba middle names, 3/ mastering the major Nigerian languages and actually campaigning with them 4/ pushing strongly for a strong one Nigeria and Africa instead of only North and South or East or West in 1958 .5/ refusing to be a primeminister under a southern alliance but choosing to be a president under a North/ south alliance. Indeed his peculiar vision for one Nigeria made him a master of compromises.I remember when he was asked why he did not become a PM under an NCNC/ AG alliance, his answer was this, 'we made compromises for the good of the Nation.'
You are right that we do not live in an ideal world but Zik was also right to have a vision and pursue it the way he felt best, after all, we all have our callings. Judging him therefore on the basis of regional or tribal politics as espoused by Awo or Okpara or even Ikemba will be a wrong premise of judgement and many Nigerians have made that mistake.He was human and made mistakes but the two times he wavered in his pan-Nigeria vision, in the Eyo-ita saga and Biafra, he came back to it with a vengeance. For this Nigeria does honour him. Zik is arguably the most honoured Nigerian and at the completion of his mausoleum at Onitsha which is a complex with several facilities like Library, Conference centre, etc, You might realize that Nigeria really apreciates what Zik did for her and might start seeing reason with his  vision and politics. As long as Nigeria remains one country, Zik remains one of her foremost heroes.

"Azikiwe attended various grammar and high schools in Onitsha, Calabar, and Lagos. He spent almost 10 years (1925–34) studying in the United States, where he attended several schools, including Howard University in Washington, D.C. In 1934 he went to the Gold Coast (now Ghana), where he founded a newspaper and was a mentor to Kwame Nkrumah (first president of Ghana) before returning to Nigeria in 1937. There he founded and edited newspapers and also became directly involved in politics, first with the Nigerian Youth Movement and later (1944) as a founder of the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC), which became increasingly identified with the Igbo people of southern Nigeria after 1951. In 1948, with the backing of the NCNC, Azikiwe was elected to the Nigerian Legislative Council, and he later served as premier of the Eastern region (1954–59)."

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/46875/Nnamdi-Azikiwe

Azikiwe was born in Zungeru, northern Nigeria, on November 16, 1904. His father was a clerical worker for the then British administrator.

He was educated at Christian mission schools before going to the United States, where he studied for nine years at Lincoln University, Pennsylvania, and the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in philosophy and anthropology.

Lincoln University instituted a professorial chair in honour of Azikiwe at a lavish ceremony in 1994 where he was eulogised.

To pay his way, the ambitious young African took jobs as a lift operator, miner and dishwasher. He was also a keen athlete.

Azikiwe returned home in 1937 and became a messianic figure in the nationalist movement while working in journalism, commerce and politics.

He once described Nigeria's achievement of independence from Britain as "the consummation of my life's work." But despite his anti-colonialism struggle, he retained friendship with Britain.

After his American studies he went to the Gold Coast -- now Ghana -- as a propagandist for the nationalist cause. One of his pupils was the late Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's future president.

Within 10 years he had become president of the National Council for Nigeria and the Cameroons, a political party which joined radical elements that emerged during World War Two.

He also launched five newspapers and wrote regular columns, stirring up nationalism in Nigeria and the West Coast of Africa.

After a long period in opposition in the Western House of Assembly, Azikiwe became the first prime minister of Eastern Nigeria, one of the then colony's three regions.

Adult sufferage, a wide programme of economic and social development, and administrative reorganisation were introduced under his premiership.

http://www.h-net.org/~africa/obituaries/zik.html
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 10:14am On Feb 15, 2011
@ Katsumoto

See the take of a Yoruba son on the issue of Zik's bid to the Western house and why Awo could not have made a similliar bid to the Eastern House

[b]I see Akure as the best example of the ideal Nigeria we all want to see on issues relating to ethnicity and tribalism. I recall Akure and Ilesha as being strong holds of the NCNC in the late 50s and early 60s before the first military coup of January 15, 1966. The NCNC used to defeat the Action Group in Akure Metropolis, arms down, in every election, but the Action Group always made up for their losses when the votes from the suburbs namely Ifedore, made up of Igbaraoke, Ijare, Ilara, and other towns like Iju and Itaigbolu and other places were added to the tally, because Akure could care less about the tribal origin of Nnamdi Azikiwe. We loved him for his education, his charisma, handsome personality and track record as a fire eater of a journalist. When Azikiwe narrowly lost to Awolowo and the Action Group in 1954 due to the Mobolaje Grand Alliance cross carpet episode, many Akure people including myself were shedding tears for Zik and heaping abuses on Awo and Akinloye for snatching victory from the NCNC because we thought the great Zik was one of us. Most of the top Akure elites like the late J. B. Arifalo-Adedipe, the father of current Elemo Bolanle Adedipe, late Pa Adegbola, late Pa Faleye Igun (O sari mo sa Oogun) were all distinguished members of the NCNC and they all preferred Azikiwe's leadership to Obafemi Awolowo just like many distinguished sons of the West like Pa Odeleye Fadahunsi of Ilesha, late Adeniran Ogunsanya, late Theophillus Sobowale Benson and late Adegoke Adelabu Penkelemess of Ibadan including Richard Osuolale Akinjide and the present Olubadan, Oba Odulana, were all staunch members of the NCNC. They all wanted Azikiwe to defeat Awo in the spirit of one Nigeria. You can count many distinguished Yoruba leaders, men and women, who could die for Zik and the NCNC.

On the contrary, there were very few Igbo men like Samuel Goomsu Ikoku, Philip Umeadi and Ajaluchukwu who extended the same commitment to Awo and the Action Group at the time. Could the Action Group under Awolowo ever have won in the Eastern Region as many seats as the NCNC had won in the old West? It is a million Dollar question. The resounding answer, however, is "Never".
[/b]
http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/akintide/102810.html
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 11:19am On Feb 15, 2011
Katsumoto wrote
Given the sort of politics and the atmosphere pervading the country at that time, yes it was inconceivable for an Igbo man or woman to contest a seat in the North. If you have evidence of any Igbo/Easterner contesting in the North, please share. We are all here to learn. Eyo Ita (an Ibiobio) was from the Eastern Region and as such was qualified to be premier of the East but guess what happened after Zik was not elected as Premier of the West? He returned to the East and replaced the Ibibio replicating what was done to him in the West.

My qaurel was with the word 'inconceivable'. Granted that the North was more protective of her politics than the south, why should it be inconceivable for an Igbo to contest in the North  if he had been living there for long then? I do not have evidence to deny your assertion, but actually the onus of proof is on he that asserts not on he that denies, and though it may be true that it never happened, my contention is that it should not be inconceivable bearing in mind that that was the nationalist era and ethnicity had not eaten into nigerian politics and if a fulani man can win an election in enugu, why should it be inconceivable for an Igboman or Yoruba or Efik,etc, to contest elections in the North. Samplers:

Like U.K. and Russia, but unlike the U.S., Nigeria has homelands for all ethnicities: Hausa, lbo, Yoruba, ljaw, Urhobo, Jukun, Igbirra, Ibibio, Tiv, Edo ltsekiri and others. Nigeria is synonymous with homelands. Not long before Independence, Alhaji Umoru Altine, an Hausa/Fulani, was mayor of Enugu; an Ibo, Obidike won elections into the Western House in lbadan from Ajegunle, Lagos; Ekuyasi, an lbo from lbusa won elections to Ibadan from Benin. Ernest lkoli, from Rivers State was dominant in Lagos politics. These happened in those good old days of nationalist movement.

http://www.dawodu.com/ayomike1.htm

In spite of what looked like petty chauvinism within the parties, it is a fact that Umaru Altine a fine Hausa gentleman was elected Mayor of Enugu.  Mazi Mbonu Ojike served as Deputy Mayor of Lagos. This was the Nigeria that people of my generation saw growing up. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. A country where your domiciliary status entitles you to full expression of your potential as happens in most of the civilised world was the model we had.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/nigeria50-lugard-keeps-shaping-nigeria/

On the Eyo Ita issue, while some have argued that he (Eyo) should have found it easy to move over for the party leader ( instead of allowing an intra-party tensions and feuds that eventually led to ethnic tensions)  in order for the party leadership not to go into limbo and by extension the party as is done all over the world, I personally think that it was a misstep by Zik  and a negation of his pan-Nigeria vision and that he should have maintained the moral high ground by continuing to lead  the opposition in the western house, but however the choice was his and I repect it and so will not demonise him because of my opinion and because I have the benefit of hindsight. I can only disagree with his step there but like you pointed out, it is not a world of idealism but that of pragmatism even though we desperately need the idealists to contineously show the light. Whether we follow is another thing.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 11:31am On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Are you crazy?

His brother was one of the first medical doctors in Nigeria and Yes, they both have real Yoruba names

Check your facts, good for nothing old man

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1081580/pdf/medhist00118-0071.pdf

That is a brief history of the first few Nigerian doctors, most of them had traceable history to Yorubaland

I doubt very seriously if you can read. Even within the link you posted, there were references to Dr Africanus Beale Horton who claimed Igbo heritage and probably the best physician among the returnees in Lagos and Dr. Oguntola Sapara-william the younger brother of Christopher Sapara-William who was born in Freetown, Sierra Leone to a parent of librated slave.

Ndigbo are not claiming Dr Beale Horton whose name graces a road in the premises of University of Ibadan. I do not know what part of the history that is giving you headache to understand.

I am not as crazy or lazy as you seem to appear. The facts remain that most of the personages you claimed for Yoruba were returnees from Sierra Leone and also from parents of liberated slave who claimed Yoruba heritage.  I guess since Lagos was the first administrative headquarters and colony of British colonialists who even encourage the returnees to relocate to Lagos, it was appropriate that many of the returnees would claim the heritage of ethnic group in close proximity to Lagos.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 8:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
houvest:

@ Katsumoto

See the take of a Yoruba son on the issue of Zik's bid to the Western house and why Awo could not have made a similliar bid to the Eastern House

[b]I see Akure as the best example of the ideal Nigeria we all want to see on issues relating to ethnicity and tribalism. I recall Akure and Ilesha as being strong holds of the NCNC in the late 50s and early 60s before the first military coup of January 15, 1966. The NCNC used to defeat the Action Group in Akure Metropolis, arms down, in every election, but the Action Group always made up for their losses when the votes from the suburbs namely Ifedore, made up of Igbaraoke, Ijare, Ilara, and other towns like Iju and Itaigbolu and other places were added to the tally, because Akure could care less about the tribal origin of Nnamdi Azikiwe. We loved him for his education, his charisma, handsome personality and track record as a fire eater of a journalist. When Azikiwe narrowly lost to Awolowo and the Action Group in 1954 due to the Mobolaje Grand Alliance cross carpet episode, many Akure people including myself were shedding tears for Zik and heaping abuses on Awo and Akinloye for snatching victory from the NCNC because we thought the great Zik was one of us. Most of the top Akure elites like the late J. B. Arifalo-Adedipe, the father of current Elemo Bolanle Adedipe, late Pa Adegbola, late Pa Faleye Igun (O sari mo sa Oogun) were all distinguished members of the NCNC and they all preferred Azikiwe's leadership to Obafemi Awolowo just like many distinguished sons of the West like Pa Odeleye Fadahunsi of Ilesha, late Adeniran Ogunsanya, late Theophillus Sobowale Benson and late Adegoke Adelabu Penkelemess of Ibadan including Richard Osuolale Akinjide and the present Olubadan, Oba Odulana, were all staunch members of the NCNC. They all wanted Azikiwe to defeat Awo in the spirit of one Nigeria. You can count many distinguished Yoruba leaders, men and women, who could die for Zik and the NCNC.

On the contrary, there were very few Igbo men like Samuel Goomsu Ikoku, Philip Umeadi and Ajaluchukwu who extended the same commitment to Awo and the Action Group at the time. Could the Action Group under Awolowo ever have won in the Eastern Region as many seats as the NCNC had won in the old West? It is a million Dollar question. The resounding answer, however, is "Never".
[/b]
http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/akintide/102810.html

Who started the NCNC and where was it started? You have to understand the origins of the NCNC to be able to address this appropriately. NCNC was a union amongst remnants of the Nigerian Youth Movement (NYM), Nigerian Youth Circle (NYC), and the Nigerian Reconstruction Group (NRG), Nigerian Union of Students and other small trade unions. All were formed in the Lagos with NUS being the exception as it was formed in Abeokuta,and all predominantly had Yoruba leaders with the inclusion of Zik.

At its third meeting, officers of NCNC were elected. Herbert Macaulay - President, Azikiwe - General Secretary, Oyeshile Omage - Financial Secretary, Dr Olorun-Nimbe - Treasurer, Onojobi and Ogedengbe - Auditors, Akerele and Odunsi - Legal advicers. Clearly, NCNC was a Yoruba party which later transformed into an Eastern party. In the spirit of democracy, Egbe Omo Yoruba was formed on the basis that the Yoruba did not have a political party. Before the Egbe Omo Yoruba, there were the Igbo Union, Ibibio State Union, Youth Social Circle in Sokoto. Egbe omo Yoruba later became the AG, Youth Social Circle became the NPC. The Igbo union and Ibibio State Union would later join with NCNC after the death of Herbert Macauley.

In effect, in the North, there was one heavyweight party, the NPC, in the East, NCNC but in the West, there were two big parties (AG and NCNC; both having well educated and erudite Yoruba sons. This was good for democracy in the West because it meant that there was no dominant party. It would have continued in this way if Zik did not seek to become the leader of the Western House. With the NCNC forming in the West and having many Yoruba sons as members, Zik was always going to have a following among some Yoruba. The AG did not form in the East so it would have been a tall order for the AG to win seats in the East; whereas the NCNC was a party even before Egbo Omo Yoruba was formed.

If one argues that the NCNC was successful in the West (we know why), why wasn't it successful in the North? Why did Zik not have a following in the North? I accept that Zik was an intelligent and charismatic leader and he probably had inter-tribal affluence more than the other politicians of his era but why wasn't he able to make inroads into the North? The fact is that Zik had a following in the West because the Yoruba are an open-minded bunch. This can also be seen in the manner the Oyo politicians and stalwarts of the Ibadan People Party such as Kola Balogun, Akintola, Akinloye, Adelabu, Olunloyo, etc aligned with the North.

I hope this answers the last question posed in your post.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by dayokanu(m): 8:41pm On Feb 15, 2011
NCNC at inception had a lot of prominent Yoruba sons in it.

It was founded by Herbet Macauley and well supported by Yorubas, I would say If NCNC had presented a Yoruba man to be premier People like Fadahunsi, Benson, Ogunsanya etc. There wouldnt have been any reason to cross carpet.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2011
Katsumoto:

Who started the NCNC and where was it started? You have to understand the origins of the NCNC to be able to address this appropriately. NCNC was a union amongst remnants of the Nigerian Youth Movement (NYM), Nigerian Youth Circle (NYC), and the Nigerian Reconstruction Group (NRG), Nigerian Union of Students and other small trade unions. All were formed in the Lagos with NUS being the exception as it was formed in Abeokuta,and all predominantly had Yoruba leaders with the inclusion of Zik.

At its third meeting, officers of NCNC were elected. Herbert Macaulay - President, Azikiwe - General Secretary, Oyeshile Omage - Financial Secretary, Dr Olorun-Nimbe - Treasurer, Onojobi and Ogedengbe - Auditors, Akerele and Odunsi - Legal advicers. Clearly, NCNC was a Yoruba party which later transformed into an Eastern party. In the spirit of democracy, Egbe Omo Yoruba was formed on the basis that the Yoruba did not have a political party. Before the Egbe Omo Yoruba, there were the Igbo Union, Ibibio State Union, Youth Social Circle in Sokoto. Egbe omo Yoruba later became the AG, Youth Social Circle became the NPC. The Igbo union and Ibibio State Union would later join with NCNC after the death of Herbert Macauley.

In effect, in the North, there was one heavyweight party, the NPC, in the East, NCNC but in the West, there were two big parties (AG and NCNC; both having well educated and erudite Yoruba sons. This was good for democracy in the West because it meant that there was no dominant party. It would have continued in this way if Zik did not seek to become the leader of the Western House. With the NCNC forming in the West and having many Yoruba sons as members, Zik was always going to have a following among some Yoruba. The AG did not form in the East so it would have been a tall order for the AG to win seats in the East; whereas the NCNC was a party even before Egbo Omo Yoruba was formed.

If one argues that the NCNC was successful in the West (we know why), why wasn't it successful in the North? Why did Zik not have a following in the North? I accept that Zik was an intelligent and charismatic leader and he probably had inter-tribal affluence more than the other politicians of his era but why wasn't he able to make inroads into the North? The fact is that Zik had a following in the West because the Yoruba are an open-minded bunch. This can also be seen in the manner the Oyo politicians and stalwarts of the Ibadan People Party such as Kola Balogun, Akintola, Akinloye, Adelabu, Olunloyo, etc aligned with the North.

Thanks bros for this. I wholly agree with you except for where you said that NCNC was a Yoruba party. NCNC started as a National party with ideals for pan Nigerianism as strongly espoused by Marcaulay and at its rebirth, under Zik, the same principles were espoused. Their over-riding passion was to free Nigeria from the shackles of the whiteman. It never was a yoruba or Igbo or even a southern party but was a National party till perhaps after the carpet-crossing incidence when it then tended more to the East. Yet after it, it had the largest national spread. Therefore , seeing its strength in the east and west, then, your question as to why the leader should aspire leadership of the western house should then be moot. In other words, you have answered your own question. the same question I was trying to answer with that quote viz:

I am not demozing Zik; I am simply stating that given his stance before the cross-carpeting incident, he should have attempted to become the premier of the East rather than the premier of the West. Given Awo's love of everything Yoruba, wouldn't it have been funny for him to attempt to become premier of the East? Lets be pragmatic and realistic rather than idealistic. It would be nice if we live in an idealistic world but we don't, besides one man's idealism is another man's hell

Which last question were you refering to in my post? I asked no questions but was attempting to answer yours. If you were refering to the 'The million dollar question' mentioned in my quote, it was not asked by me but the yoruba son I quoted.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by dayokanu(m): 9:24pm On Feb 15, 2011
houvest:

Thanks bros for this. I wholly agree with you except for where you said that NCNC was a Yoruba party. NCNC started as a National party with ideals for pan Nigerianism as strongly espoused by Marcaulay and at its rebirth, under Zik, the same principles were espoused. Their over-riding passion was to free Nigeria from the shackles of the whiteman. It never was a yoruba or Igbo or even a southern party but was a National party till perhaps after the carpet-crossing incidence when it then tended more to the East.

Look at the list of officers in the NCNC that Katsumoto posted

Herbert Macaulay - President, Azikiwe - General Secretary, Oyeshile Omage - Financial Secretary, Dr Olorun-Nimbe - Treasurer, Onojobi and Ogedengbe - Auditors, Akerele and Odunsi - Legal advicers

Only Zik was the non Yoruba in it. Would you say that was a non Yoruba party? I believe the ACN and APGA tagged as ethnic parties of today are not even dominated at the top in that manner by any group
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by fstranger3(m): 9:26pm On Feb 15, 2011
[s]Isnt H.O Davies a founding member of NCNC?[/s]
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by AndreUweh(m): 9:42pm On Feb 15, 2011
@Katsumoto: a cultural organisationthe Jamiyar Mutatanen Arewa formed by Dr R.A.B Dikko, the first northern doctor, was turned into a political party-The NPC.
Edit your earlier post about the formation of the NPC.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2011
houvest:

Thanks bros for this. I wholly agree with you except for where you said that NCNC was a Yoruba party. NCNC started as a National party with ideals for pan  Nigerianism as strongly espoused by Marcaulay and at its rebirth, under Zik, the same principles were espoused. Their over-riding passion was to free Nigeria from the shackles of the whiteman. It never was a yoruba or Igbo  or even a southern party but was a National party till perhaps after the carpet-crossing incidence when it then tended more to the East. Yet after it, it had the largest national spread. Therefore , seeing its strength in the east and west, then, your question as to why the leader should aspire leadership of the western house should then be moot. In other  words, you have answered your own question. the same question I was trying to answer with that quote viz:

I am not demozing Zik; I am simply stating that given his stance before the cross-carpeting incident, he should have attempted to become the premier of the East rather than the premier of the West. Given Awo's love of everything Yoruba, wouldn't it have been funny for him to attempt to become premier of the East? Lets be pragmatic and realistic rather than idealistic. It would be nice if we live in an idealistic world but we don't, besides one man's idealism is another man's hell

Which last question were you refering to in my post? I asked no questions but was attempting to answer yours. If you were refering to the 'The million dollar question' mentioned in my quote, it was not asked by me but the yoruba son I quoted.

Let me re-phrase; NCNC did not have a Yoruba agenda even though it was dominated initially by Yoruba sons. It was for this pro-Nigeria outlook that Zik was elected as President after being nominated by Macauley on his death bed.

Zik as leader of the NCNC would not have been faulted if he had ambitions of being PM on the NCNC platform but he should have allowed another Yoruba son be put forward to be leader of the Western house. If he hadn't done that, AG would have struggled against the NCNC in the West. NCNC would have had more appeal in the South and could very well have challenged the NPC. I think in Zik's calculations, he would be premier of the West before becoming the PM.

Like I have said before, the reason Zik could not become premier of the East is the same reason a scotsman could not become an MP in England after the Act of Union was signed in 1707. After almost 300 years you will struggle to find Scottish MPs being elected in England and English MPs being elected in Scotland. It is always difficult for a people to accept an outsider as leader.

Yes, I stating that I hoped my response answered the question posed by the Yoruba son in the write-up you provided.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Katsumoto: a cultural organisationthe Jamiyar Mutatanen Arewa formed by Dr R.A.B Dikko, the first northern doctor, was turned into a political party-The NPC.
Edict your earlier post about the formation of the NPC.

You are correct; Bello's group merged with the newly formed NPC in 1948. Thanks

EDIT
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by houvest: 11:08pm On Feb 15, 2011
Katsumoto:

Quick question. What was the need for a Yoruba party since as you said NCNC was a party joining East and West? It was first led by, Macaulay, a Yoruba? and later Zik, an Igbo. What was the need for a Yoruba party sionce Igbos, Ijaws, Efiks, Edos had none. They had sociocultural organizations and all operated under one political umbrela, NCNC.  It was only the North that had her own party.while NCNC tried to be Nigerian. I am not asking this question to denigrate anybody but really trying to know why egbe omo oduduwa decided to transform into a political party. Dont you think if NCNC had remained as the paramount southern party, it not only would have won the power at the centre and even more than that would have ensured southern, if not national unity?

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (Reply)

Yoruba Community Take To The Streets Of New York As Buhari Lands In US. Photos / Nnamdi Kanu's Statement About Apostle Suleman & Igbos Worshipping In His Church / Soldier Recognizes A Lady From Facebook At A Checkpoint In Adamawa state

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 238
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.