Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing (904 Views)

Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) / Apostle Suleman Replies Daddy Freeze on Tithing Controversy / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by alBHAGDADI: 7:45am On Jul 19, 2020
Over the week, Bishop David Oyedepo sparked controversy on social media after he said that tweeted about tithing. This led many people like Daddy Freeze and other Nigerians to react by giving their own opinion on what tithing is.

Oyedepo had tweeted:

Tithing is an inescapable covenant obligation. Prosperity not just wealth is impossible without tithing, because when you're not paying your tithe, you're under a financial curse.

What Oyedepo said is totally right (even though I don't like him and know he's fake). It is only applicable to people who are saved and children of God. No fake Christians or unbelievers.

Yes, tithing is a covenant. Also, you can't proper and acquire wealth without tithing, that's if you are a child of God and saved. If you are not a child of God, then the message is not for you. You can go acquire wealth and prosperity through dubious and corrupt means; people do, Hushpuppi did.

Are you under a financial curse when you don't pay your tithe? Yes, if you are a child of God. Why is that so? Because you are robbing God. You are spending what belongs to him which exposes you to the devourer.

Now, let's examine how Daddy Freeze responded to Oyedepo's tweet.

Daddy Freeze tweeted:

Utter nonsense!
Are you one percent as prosperous or as wealthy as Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet who dont tithe? I personally find this unscriptural statement manipulative and cruel. Christ didnt collect tithe neither did the disciples, yet no one was cursed!

It is stupid comparing the unbelievers to Christians. Will all know how these billionaires came about their wealth. Even at that, none of them have been able to attain as much as King Solomon who tithed.

Kindly note that it is foolish to tithe in the name of wanting to be wealthy and prosperous. Tithing is giving to God what belongs to him. He only blesses you for your obedience and does more by keeping you away from harm's way i.e the devourer. God has already assured you of prosperity, but not tithing out of it cannot send you back to being poor.

But how come the wicked people are wealthier than Christians? Don't be envious of them. Such mindset reminds me of Asaph in the book of Psalms. Read how he became envious of the wicked, their riches and the peace they enjoyed.

Psalm 73:3
E For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.
7 Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
8 They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9 They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.

He went on to lamented that he was just living a clean life in vain. Isn't that the same way youths of today say "school na scam" because internet fraudsters are now celebrated? He lamented until he saw what their end will be. Isn't that similar to how Hushpuppi was celebrated to the point that righteous and hard-working guys almost looked stupid. But look at his end today.

Psalm 73:12-19
12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
13 Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14 For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
15 If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
16 When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
18 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19 How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

Let's address one more thing Daddy Freeze said which is wrong.

He said,
Christ didnt collect tithe neither did the disciples, yet no one was cursed

Who told him Jesus Christ didn't collect tithe? Perhaps, he's expecting to see a verse clearly stating such. Since there is no clear statement in that in the Bible, we can as well conclude that Jesus never took his bath or go to the toilet since there is no verse on that as well.

Saying Jesus didn't collect tithe is the same as saying he's a liar when he said:

John 16:15 KJV
15 All things that the Father hath are mine:

Everything that belongs to God also belongs to Jesus including tithe. While he was on Earth, the tithe being paid at the temple belonged to him same way it belonged to him while he was in heaven and even now.

Nowhere did he abolish tithing. He had the opportunity twice to do so but instead he upheld it.

So, what Oyedepo said is totally right and only meant for saved Christians, not for unbelievers.

Even false high priest Caiaphas once said something right when he said Jesus should die for the sins of the whole world.

John 11:50
Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

The below threads will answer your questions on tithing.

https://www.nairaland.com/4906753/daddy-freeze-liar-tithing-very

https://www.nairaland.com/5469455/giving-tithe-church-needy-what

https://www.nairaland.com/4938431/it-not-law-moses-god

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 7:51am On Jul 19, 2020
YOU YOURSELF OP, YOU'RE STUPID AND NOT MAKING SENSE AS FAR AS SOUND DOCTRINE IS CONCERNED.

Oyedepo and Adeboye are 2 major religious false strongholds in Nigeria that their false doctrines MUST BE AGGRESSIVELY dealt with.

Show us JUST ONE CHRISTIAN in the new covenant that was paying tithes and we will keep quiet....JUST ONE!

11 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by chatinent: 7:54am On Jul 19, 2020
Christians were urged to give -- not out of compulsion -- only as they have resolved in their hearts. This manipulative fraud codenamed 'tithe' is what almost every pastor has in common. It really has no significance in Christianity as they deem it.

6 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 19, 2020
In the book of Malachi 3:9-11.God himself commanded that we pay our tithe.
But the preaching of prosperity and money in the church is an eyesore and God have not Sent these people to preach about tithe and money all the time.
Why do men of God leave what God have asked them to do and started preaching about money,tithe and prosperity.These people have turned the church to a business centre.
But beloved we are not in position to judge these men of God instead let us pray for them,God is the only person that will judge them not you and I so that we wont be judged

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by techmo(m): 8:04am On Jul 19, 2020
cool

Corona don cos gobe , Oyedepo has bills to pay, with over 3 private jet needing parking fees, pilots getting paid, while the tithe paying private school teachers, sacked bankers, sacked Mikano staffs and sacked ORide Staff are in severe pain

The Europeans (Roman's and Italian) really caused such great problem due to their greedy colonisation quest now Africans are so stupid to understand why Isrealis hate European pagan Christianity

3 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by BackllGodNaija: 8:09am On Jul 19, 2020
Nothing more to understand about the self-explanatory comment of the tithevangelist. What (the gospel of) the Kingdom of God was to Jesus, (the gospel of) tithing is to Oyedepo.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 8:11am On Jul 19, 2020
It is not about what The Bishop said, it is about what The Bible says! The Servant of God only echoed what the Bible said..

Malachi 3:8-9
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

The Fact like I always say is that Tithing should not be your problem if you are not Saved or you are yet to Accept JESUS CHRIST.

Proverb 15:8a
The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD:

Isaiah 1:11-15
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

Jeremiah 6:20
To what purpose cometh there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me.

What is more important is your Soul! Tithing is not a Requisite for Salvation. If you like tithe billions and whatever, it does not give you salvation.

A Man/ Woman who claims to be Saved and Conciously Refuses to pay Tithe May have hindered himself/ herself from Heaven...

For the Sinner, Sort yourself out with JESUS ! Leave Tithing alone!

For The Saved, Obey God's Word!

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by gasparpisciotta: 8:41am On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:
It is not about what The Bishop said, it is about what The Bible says! The Servant of God only echoed what the Bible said..

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

The Fact like I always say is that Tithing should not be your problem if you are not Saved or you are yet to Accept JESUS CHRIST.

11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

To what purpose cometh there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me.

What is more important is your Soul! Tithing is not a Requisite for Salvation. If you like tithe billions and whatever, it does not give you salvation.

A Man/ Woman who claims to be Saved and Conciously Refuses to pay Tithe May have hindered himself/ herself from Heaven...

Africans are not under this law my brother. Are we descendants of Jacob? History says No.
Malachi chapters 1-4 reminds the children of Jacob/Isreal about how they have been breaking God’s covenant by keeping good animals for themselves and sacrificing blemished ones to God.

Malachi 3 reminds them of their covenant of tithing which was to ensure that there will be food for the Levites and the other children of Isreal in times of drought and famine.
God himself does not eat of their tithes, they all eventually benefit from paying one way or the other.

But these days who benefits from paying tithes?
Levites were not supposed to work but most of your pastors have multiple streams of income and still neglect the poorest members of their congregation.

I am not against tithing but the curse is limited to the children of Jacob because of Gods direct covenant with them, I have not seen it anywhere in the Bible where God made same covenant with any other race/people.

We are all claiming to be Isrealites, I don’t think God considers us as such, since he has not made any declaration in that regard.

8 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 8:46am On Jul 19, 2020
gasparpisciotta:

Africans are not under this law my brother. Are we descendants of Jacob? History says No.
Malachi chapters 1-4 reminds the children of Isreal about how they have been breaking God’s covenant by keeping good animals for themselves and sacrificing blemished ones to God.

Malachi 3 reminds them of their covenant of tithing which was to ensure that there will be food for the Levites and the other children of Isreal in times of drought and famine.
God himself does not eat of their tithes, they all eventually benefit from paying one way or the other.

But these days who benefits from paying tithes?
Levites were not supposed to work but most of your pastors have multiple streams of income and still neglect the poorest members of their congregation.

I am not against tithing but the curse is limited to the children of Jacob because of Gods direct covenant with them, I have not seen it anywhere in the Bible where God made same covenant with any other race/people.

We are all claiming to be Isrealites, I don’t think God considers us as such, since he has not made any declaration in that regard.

Bro you choose to separate yourself from the Covenant? Good for you sir!

I am Full part and Product of the Covenant of God via Abramham, Isaac and Isreal..
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by techmo(m): 9:00am On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

I am Full part and Product of the Covenant of God via Abramham, Isaac and Isreal..

Quick question Mister pastor

Do you believe in Jesus or Yeshua ? Have you googled what Jesus means in Greek? Does anybody in Isreal bear European Abraham? Have you ever read Isrealis Torah which YHWH the God of Ibrahim inspired? Do you know the origin of Christmas and Easter in paganism? Do you know Emperor Constantine? Do you believe the same Emperor Pointiuis that murdered Yeshua son of Mariam and his Roman people want anything than to enslave your mind? If the so called European colonial masters love Isrealis God so much why did they massacre 3 million Jews during the world war?

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 9:05am On Jul 19, 2020
techmo:

Quick question Mister pastor

Do you believe in Jesus or Yeshua ? Have you googled what Jesus means in Greek? Does anybody in Isreal bear European Abraham? Have you ever read Isrealis Torah which YHWH the God of Ibrahim inspired? Do you know the origin of Christmas and Easter in paganism? Do you know Emperor Constantine? Do you believe the same Emperor Pointiuis that murdered Yeshua son of Mariam and his Roman people want anything than to enslave your mind?

You keep engaging yourself in irrelevant stuffs!

Call Him JESUS! Call Him Yesua! Call Him LORD! Call Him Saviour! Call Him KING of kings!

What Matters is that you Accept Him Genuiely and Live for Him so you will counted Worthy to Meet Him..

Sir. Any other Talk is Nonsense and irrelevant to Humanity !

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Askme2020(m): 9:07am On Jul 19, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Over the week, Bishop David Oyedepo sparked controversy on social media after he said that tweeted about tithing. This led many people like Daddy Freeze and other Nigerians to react by giving their own opinion on what tithing is.

Oyedepo had tweeted:

What Oyedepo said is totally right (even though I don't like him and know he's fake). It is only applicable to people who are saved and children of God. No fake Christians or unbelievers.

Yes, tithing is a covenant. Also, you can't proper and acquire wealth without tithing, that's if you are a child of God and saved. If you are not a child of God, then the message is not for you. You can go acquire wealth and prosperity through dubious and corrupt means; people do, Hushpuppi did.

Are you under a financial curse when you don't pay your tithe? Yes, if you are a child of God. Why is that so? Because you are robbing God. You are spending what belongs to him which exposes you to the devourer.

Now, let's examine how Daddy Freeze responded to Oyedepo's tweet.

Daddy Freeze tweeted:

It is stupid comparing the unbelievers to Christians. Will all know how these billionaires came about their wealth. Even at that, none of them have been able to attain as much as King Solomon who tithed.

Kindly note that it is foolish to tithe in the name of wanting to be wealthy and prosperous. Tithing is giving to God what belongs to him. He only blesses you for your obedience and does more by keeping you away from harm's way i.e the devourer. God has already assured you of prosperity, but not tithing out of it cannot send you back to being poor.

But how come the wicked people are wealthier than Christians? Don't be envious of them. Such mindset reminds me of Asaph in the book of Psalms. Read how he became envious of the wicked, their riches and the peace they enjoyed.

Psalm 73:3
E For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.
7 Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
8 They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9 They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.

He went on to lamented that he was just living a clean life in vain. Isn't that the same way youths of today say "school na scam" because internet fraudsters are now celebrated? He lamented until he saw what their end will be. Isn't that similar to how Hushpuppi was celebrated to the point that righteous and hard-working guys almost looked stupid. But look at his end today.

Psalm 73:12-19
12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
13 Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14 For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
15 If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
16 When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
18 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19 How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

Let's address one more thing Daddy Freeze said which is wrong.

He said,

Who told him Jesus Christ didn't collect tithe? Perhaps, he's expecting to see a verse clearly stating such. Since there is no clear statement in that in the Bible, we can as well conclude that Jesus never took his bath or go to the toilet since there is no verse on that as well.

Saying Jesus didn't collect tithe is the same as saying he's a liar when he said:

John 16:15 KJV
15 All things that the Father hath are mine:

Everything that belongs to God also belongs to Jesus including tithe. While he was on Earth, the tithe being paid at the temple belonged to him same way it belonged to him while he was in heaven and even now.

Nowhere did he abolish tithing. He had the opportunity twice to do so but instead he upheld it.

So, what Oyedepo said is totally right and only meant for saved Christians, not for unbelievers.

Even false high priest Caiaphas once said something right when he said Jesus should die for the sins of the whole world.

John 11:50
Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

The below threads will answer your questions on tithing.

https://www.nairaland.com/4906753/daddy-freeze-liar-tithing-very

https://www.nairaland.com/5469455/giving-tithe-church-needy-what

https://www.nairaland.com/4938431/it-not-law-moses-god
you are beyond redemption. that is all I can say to you.
it was on record Jesus pay tax. but u are assuming Jesus and is disciples collect tithe because there were no record of them taking a bath or going to toilet. chai... we have a lot to learn in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Askme2020(m): 9:09am On Jul 19, 2020
Goshen360:

Show us JUST ONE CHRISTIAN in the new covenant that was paying tithes and we will keep quiet....JUST ONE!
then won't show u, because there is nothing to show.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Askme2020(m): 9:12am On Jul 19, 2020
chatinent:
Christian were urged to give -- not out of compulsion -- as they have resolved in their hearts. This manipulative fraud codenamed 'tithe' is what almost every pastor has in common. It really has no significance in Christianity as they deem it.

abi... this is part of Jesus Teachings, but they will always manipulate the people to always part away with their money with one form of fear of what will happen to you if you don't give them your money.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Askme2020(m): 9:16am On Jul 19, 2020
PRE4:
In the book of Malachi 3:9-11.God himself commanded that we pay our tithe.

Malachi 3:9-11 didn't command you to pay your tithe. that part of the bible is not for you. read from the beginning of Malachi chapter 2-3 read it. Malachi 3:9-11 is not for you.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Askme2020(m): 9:18am On Jul 19, 2020
undecided
Righteousness89:

[s]
Righteousness89:

[/s]
Righteousness89:

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by UgoFly: 9:20am On Jul 19, 2020
TITHING AS REGARDS Malachi.3: 8-10

First to understand the Bible & to interpret & apply it for today's Christians we must know the DIFFERENCES Btw OLD & NEW TESTAMENT

We must know dat d Bible is divided into 3 dispensations The Patriarchal, The Mosiac & The Christian Dispensations. We must also know what's written for the Jews, Gentiles & the Church.

1. The Patriarchal age is the age of the fathers frm Abraham to Moses.
2. The Mosaic age is from Moses to Christ
3. The Christian age is from Christ's death on the cross to the His second coming

God dealt with the people in a very peculiar ways e.g. in the Patriarchal age there was no 10 commandments, in Mosaic age God gave them 10 Commandments & ceremonial laws to be obeyed. The Christian age brought in Grace & Truth
The law was our school master to bring us into CHRIST but now faith has come through Christ we are no longer under the school master. (Gal. 3:22-24). 

We're not justified by law (Gal.5:4). Christ is the end of the law. (Rom.10:1-4).
If we're to practice the Old Testament doctrine together with the New Testament there will be lots of confusion as we will be required according to Leviticus 20 to stone to death fornicators, adulterers, witches, wizards, stoning to death a rebellious son Deuteronomy (21:18-21), practice several burnt offerings & sin offerings of different kinds, stone to death those who work Saturday (Sabbath day). (Numbers 15:32-36). 

If a girl loses her virginity she must be stoned to death to death also (Deut 22:13-21)
Women during their monthly period will be forbidden to come to church & so many more old testament practices. But we know that Christ have nailed all these practices & laws to the cross ( Col. 2:14-16, Rom.10:4)

WHAT IS TITHE? Tithes is a practice of paying "one- tenth" of one's income or possession according to the Old Testament

ORIGIN OF TITHES. The first time the word tithe ever appeared in the Bible is in the Book of Genesis where Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek the priest of Salem. Note that Abraham paid tithes as a reciprocal gestures in appreciation/ response to Melchizedek giving food & wine to Abraham's servants on his way back from war. (Gen.14:8, 18-20). Abraham did not pay tithes to Melchizedek from his personal possessions but from spoils of war that he brought back when he went to rescue Lot his brother. (Gen. 14: 21-2 There was no law compelling Abraham to pay tithes to Melchizedek, he did it freely Abraham DID NOT PAY TITHES AS A CONTINUOUS MONTHLY OR YEARLY RITUAL, but it was a one-time event.

TITHES BECOMES LAW IN ISRAEL.
Tithes became a law in the land of Israel when the children of Israel got to the Promised Land of Cannan. God divided the land to eleven out of the twelve tribes of Israel. But to the tribe of of Levi God didn't give any portion of land, rather God gave them the tithes of which rightly belong to God, because of the services he gave them to perform in the Temple of Tabernacle (Lev. 27:30, Numb. 18:20-24) e.g the tribe of Judah where Christ came from are tithe payers, because they collected their own share of the land of Cannan & God Commanded them to pay to their brother Levi- Aaron & his descendants (Jos.15:1-5, Neh.13:12). 

WHOM DID GOD COMMAND TO PAY TITHES & TO WHOM?
God told all the Nations of Israel to pay Tithes from the land he gave Num. 18:20-21). (Mal. 1:1-2, 3:7-12). We must understand that the laws of the Old Covenant & the laws of TITHES in particular wasn't given to any other tribe in the world but to Israel as a Nation (Deut. 5:1-3)

The Israelites were Commanded to pay tithe to the tribe of Levi only No other tribe in the whole world including Jesus Christ & Judah his tribe has any scriptural right to collect tithes ( Heb. 7:5, 13), rather Judah the tribe Jesus came from were tithes payers & not tithes collectors (Neh. 13:12) 

FROM WHAT PROCEEDS DID GOD COMMANDS THAT TITHES BE PAID?.

Many Pastors who are tithes collectors says tithes must be paid from salaries & business profits but the Bible clearly states where tithes proceeds are to be paid.
Tithes were commanded to be paid from FARM PRODUCE of the Israelites be it ANIMALS or CROPS ( Deut. 14:22 Lev. 27:30-31). In which case God has already provided them farm lands (Jos.15:1-3). So there's no excuse for any
Israelite saying "I can't pay Tithes" or "I don't hv a land to farm".
WAS TITHE TO BE PAID WITH MONEY OR FARM PRODUCE ONLY?. God Commanded that money shouldn't be used for tithes payment but FARM PRODUCE ONLY. This is stated clearly & expressly. (Deut. 14:22-26). 

God knows that money was a good medium of exchange but commanded that if all you have to
to bring your tithes(FARM PRODUCE) from a far distance to where God has put his name then you Have to sell the farm product for money but when you get to d place you have to turn the money into farm produce again & eat before the Lord (Deut.14:22-26)
HOW MANY TYPES OF TITHES ARE THERE?
God actually gave commandments to Israel to pay specific tithe for specific purposes

1. Annual or yearly tithe to be given to take care of the Levites- Aaron & other priests officiating in the Tabernacle (Num. 18:20-24)
2. Tithes every 3 years to be given for the general populace of Levites, widows, orphans, strangers & the poor (Deut. 14:22-29).
3. The priests were also commanded by God to pay tithe of tithes to God, that is the priests are to pay tithes to God from the tithes the Israelites have paid to them. (Num. 18:26-29). Note the tithes which the priests will give to God must be offered as "HEAVE OFFERING" not money offering.

DOES THE BIBLE COMMANDS TODAY'S CHRISTIANS TO PAY TITHES?.

We can clearly see from the Bible that Judaism is different from Christianity. The New Covenant is superior & better than the Old Covenant with DOES THE BIBLE COMMANDS TODAY'S CHRISTIANS TO PAY TITHES?.

We can clearly see from the Bible that Judaism is different from Christianity. The New Covenant is superior & better than the Old Covenant with better promises. Heb. 8: 6-7, 2 Cor. 3:6-16). 

Bible says if the Old Covenant was perfect enough there wouldn't have been need for the New Covenant.(Heb. 8: 7-13). The Old Testament & all it stands for were mere SHADOW of things to come but the New Testament is the real image. Heb.(10:1). 

Tithes & all Old Testament Practices & Doctrines have been abolished (Heb. 8:13)
(Heb.10:9) (2 Cor. 3:6-16) (Col. 2 : 14-17).

(Heb. 8: 7-13). The Old Testament & all it stands for were mere SHADOW of things to come but the New Testament is the real image. Heb.(10:1). 
Tithes & all Old Testament Practices & Doctrines have been abolished (Heb. 8:13)
(Heb.10:9) (2 Cor. 3:6-16) (Col. 2 : 14-17).
Christians are not commanded to pay tithes today but to give a free will offerings as they are blessed. No levying of any kind. Give what you have.

BUT JESUS SAID HE DID NOT COME TO DESTROY THE LAW & THE PROPHETS.

This statement must be well understood not taken in isolation & out of context. Luke clarifies this issue better. (Lk.24: 45-49). In effect Jesus was not saying that he came to destroy nor re-establish the law but to "FULFILL" all that were written about him in the law of Moses, in the Prophets & in the Psalm. And Jesus Indeed has fulfilled all the prophecies concerning him, including his birth, death, burial, resurrection & ascension as prophesied. 

Again in Matt. 23:23 Jesus rebuked the Scribes & Pharisees & he said woe unto them & called them hypocrites for over-emphasizing the payment of tithes at the expense of the weighter matters of the law: mercy, judgement & righteousness. 

Jesus was NOT in this instance recommending tithe payment for his disciples & the New Testament Christians He was rightly addressing the Jews who were given the law he wouldn't have said woe & called his disciples hypocrites. At that time Christ will or Testament wasn't yet in full force. Christ will & Testament became fully in force & enforceable after his death on the cross because there can be no testament except the testator dies. Wills can only be enforceable after he who wrote the wills dies. (Heb. 9:15-23). 

So at Christ's death on the cross the law of tithe & other Old Testament practices ceased to be effective. In effect CHRIST became the only standard of faith for Christians today & no longer the Old Testament. (2 Cor. 3:6-14).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by gasparpisciotta: 9:27am On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Be carefully what you wish for.

I know that most African Christians claim only the good part of the Abrahamic covenants and choose to ignore the rest.

The apostles who are the forerunner of Christianity never claimed to be Jews.
But here we are in Africa claiming Jewish covenants.

According to Jesus the only covenant that God made with the world was His covenant of love as in John 3:16

Jesus never mentioned tithe as a condition for God’s blessings.
He said seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and every other thing shall be added.

Righteousness has nothing to do with wealth, in fact Jesus warns us about wealth when he said it will be easier for a came to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to see the kingdom of God.

Literally before a camel can pass through the eye of a needle that camel must be dead and the skin turned to thread, so you see that a rich man has so much to do to see the kingdom of God.

I pay tithes when I have but I will rather work on my righteousness than bother myself with Jewish covenants.

Jesus also warned the Pharisees who are more interested in covenants than the welfare of Gods people.

My brother, I don’t rely on what pastors say, I devote my self to learning the truth.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 10:44am On Jul 19, 2020
gasparpisciotta:

Be carefully what you wish for.

I know that most African Christians claim only the good part of the Abrahamic covenants and choose to ignore the rest.

The apostles who are the forerunner of Christianity never claimed to be Jews.
But here we are in Africa claiming Jewish covenants.

According to Jesus the only covenant that God made with the world was His covenant of love as in John 3:16

Jesus never mentioned tithe as a condition for God’s blessings.
He said seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and every other thing shall be added.

Righteousness has nothing to do with wealth, in fact Jesus warns us about wealth when he said it will be easier for a came to pass through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to see the kingdom of God.

Literally before a camel can pass through the eye of a needle that camel must be dead and the skin turned to thread, so you see that a rich man has so much to do to see the kingdom of God.

I pay tithes when I have but I will rather work on my righteousness than bother myself with Jewish covenants.

Jesus also warned the Pharisees who are more interested in covenants than the welfare of Gods people.

My brother, I don’t rely on what pastors say, I devote my self to learning the truth.

U need Help bro!
U need the JESUS
U need the Knowledge of GOD and HIS Word!

Stop Operating on Self knowledge!
The Holy Bible! The Word of God is your Guide
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by gasparpisciotta: 11:09am On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

U need Help bro!
U need the JESUS
U need the Knowledge of GOD and HIS Word!

Stop Operating on Self knowledge!
The Holy Bible! The Word of God is your Guide

Self knowledge? All my claims are backed by the Bible except you want to say you don’t read the same words of God that I read.

The Bible does not consider Africans to be Jews rather as gentiles. Read the book of Acts of the Apostles.
We are not descendants of Jacob, we are not Israelites, even America does not claim to be Jewish.

Bros don’t claim to be righteous and not be able to make others see the light that you claim to carry by your moniker.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 11:15am On Jul 19, 2020
[i]
gasparpisciotta:

Self knowledge? All my claims are backed by the Bible except you want to say you don’t read the same words of God that I read.

The Bible does not consider Africans to be Jews rather as gentiles. Read the book of Acts of the Apostles.
We are not descendants of Jacob, we are not Israelites, even America does not claim to be Jewish.

Bros don’t claim to be righteous and not be able to make others see the light that you claim to carry by your moniker.

How does someone who claim to know God relegate God to Africa, Asia, Europe or Whatever... That's an insult on God Almighty..

Who Created you?
Who Created the Earth?

For God so Loved the World that He Gave His only begotten son, that WHOSEVER believes in Him will not perish but have Everlasting life..

God's Word , The Holy Bible is given to Guide Humanity not a part of humanity!

May God Give you Understanding ..
[/i]
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by OkCornel(m): 11:26am On Jul 19, 2020
When pro-tithers are ready to show us where God specifically mentioned money as part of the items to be tithed, then they should know that monetary tithing is unscriptural.

When God required money for the needs of the Temple, He specifically mentioned where all Israelite males should be levied a temple tax of half a shekel every year. That was an instance of God clearly asking for money.

Refer to Exodus 30 v 13-16 for where God gave the instruction through Moses;

13 This shall every man give, that goeth into the number, half a shekel, after the [a]shekel of the Sanctuary: (a shekel is twenty gerahs) the half shekel shall be an offering to the Lord.
14 All that are numbered from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering to the Lord.
15 The rich shall not pass, and the poor shall not diminish from half a shekel, when ye shall give an offering unto the Lord, for the redemption of your lives.
16 So thou shalt take the money of the redemption of the children of Israel, and shalt put it unto the use of the Tabernacle of the Congregation, that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the Lord, for the redemption of your lives.

BASED ON THE ABOVE, IT WAS CLEAR WHEN GOD ASKED FOR MONEY TO MAINTAIN THE TEMPLE... NOW LET US EXAMINE GOD'S REQUIREMENT FOR TITHES

Refer to Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29;

22 Thou shalt give the tithe of all the increase of thy seed, that cometh forth of the field year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God (in the place which he shall choose to cause his Name to dwell there) the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstborn of thy kine, and of thy sheep, that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it, because the place is far from thee, where the Lord thy God shall choose to set his name, when the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
25 Then shalt thou make it in money, and take the money in thine hand, and go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose.
26 And thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thine heart desireth: whether it be ox, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatsoever thine heart desireth: and shalt eat it there before the Lord thy God, and rejoice, both thou, and thine household.

27 And the Levite that is within thy gates, shalt thou not forsake: for he hath neither part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt [e]bring forth all the tithes of thine increase of the same year, and lay it up within thy gates.
29 Then the Levite shall come, because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee, and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, and shall eat, and be filled, that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Based on the above verses, God clearly mentioned what is titheable, and money was not part of the items to be tithed.

IN CONCLUSION:
So any fraudster that comes with the excuse that money was not in use because the Israelites were predominantly farmers and cattle rearers...should read Exodus 30 v 13-16 and explain to us why God demanded money from these same Israelites...but specified crops and livestock as tithes in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29;

Also, I'll be waiting for scriptural references where God made tithing mandatory for gentiles as well.

3 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Tuska: 11:31am On Jul 19, 2020
Askme2020:
you are beyond redemption. that is all I can say to you.
it was on record Jesus pay tax. but u are assuming Jesus and is disciples collect tithe because there were no record of them taking a bath or going to toilet. chai... we have a lot to learn in Africa.

Why would Jesus collect tithe? Was he a priest?
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by gasparpisciotta: 1:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:
[i]

How does someone who claim to know God relegate God to Africa, Asia, Europe or Whatever... That's an insult on God Almighty..

Who Created you?
Who Created the Earth?

For God so Loved the World that He Gave His only begotten son, that WHOSEVER believes in Him will not perish but have Everlasting life..

God's Word , The Holy Bible is given to Guide Humanity not a part of humanity!

May God Give you Understanding ..
[/i]

May God give continue to give me more understanding. Amen.

From your reasoning i see that your understanding is from man, maybe your pastors.

Where did I limit God to any race?

The Bible confirmed in Deuteronomy and Leviticus that the covenants were only for Isreal, there were other people living on earth as at then.

Egyptians, Ethiopians, Amalekites, Mesopotamia etc. but God chose the descendants of Jacob/Isreal to make covenants with because he declared His love for Jacob

Why were the other tribes not loved like Jacob according to the Bible? Read Malachi 1:2-5

Do you read the Bible at all? Or you choose to ignore parts of the Bible to suit your believe?
How many hours of your day do you spend reading and digesting the contents?
Maybe you only read psalms for prayers....

Your pastor does not allow you to ask questions?
Or perhaps you have decided to listen without understanding...

Every man will answer for himself on the day of judgement including your pastors.

I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Is the covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ or in tithes?

2 Likes

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

It's not enough just quoting and quoting bible verses without a sound doctrine. You jumping from old to new and back to old and to new, stay in one lane before you crash....

If you are full part and product of covenant of God VIA ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND ISRAEL....to YOU, Christ died in vain.....

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Dotherightthing: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:
[i]

How does someone who claim to know God relegate God to Africa, Asia, Europe or Wwhatever... That's an insult on God Almighty..

Who Ccreated you?
Who Ccreated the Eearth?

For God so Lloved the Wworld that He Ggave His only begotten son, that WHOSEVER believes in Him will not perish but have Eeverlasting life..

God's Word , Tthe Holy Bible is given to Gguide Hhumanity not a part of humanity!

May God Ggive you Uunderstanding ..
[/i]

21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Dotherightthing: 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

U need Hhelp bro!
U need the JESUS
U need the Kknowledge of GOD and HIS Word!

Stop Ooperating on Sself knowledge!
The Holy Bible! The Word of God is your Gguide

21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation.
Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Dotherightthing: 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

You keep engaging yourself in irrelevant stuffs!

Call Him JESUS! Call Him Yesua! Call Him LORD! Call Him Saviour! Call Him KING of kings!

What Mmatters is that you Aaccept Him Ggenuiely and Llive for Him so you will counted Wworthy to Mmeet Him..

Sir. Any other Ttalk is Nnonsense and irrelevant to Hhumanity !

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Righteousness89(m): 4:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
Goshen360:

It's not enough just quoting and quoting bible verses without a sound doctrine. You jumping from old to new and back to old and to new, stay in one lane before you crash....

If you are full part and product of covenant of God VIA ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND ISRAEL....to YOU, Christ died in vain.....

Sir, You need Understanding of the Word of God..

Prayerfully read your Bible

1 Like

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Dotherightthing: 4:21pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Bro you choose to separate yourself from the Ccovenant? Good for you sir!

I am Ffull part and Pproduct of the Ccovenant of God via Abramham, Isaac and Isreal..

Re: The Misunderstanding Of Bishop Oyedepo's Tweet On Tithing by Dotherightthing: 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2020
Righteousness89:

Sir, Yyou need Uunderstanding of the Word of God..

Prayerfully read your Bible

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tithing Is A Curse, Abel DAMINA Brave - daddyfreeze / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 25/09/2021 / Benny Hinn Apologises To Christians For False Teachings On Prosperity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.