Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. (9597 Views)

A Man Sick With Stroke Pictures Among Picture Discovered In Epkeye Shrine / Otu Odu Practice In Anambra And Anioma Part Of Delta State / Ikwerre And Anioma People Should Not Forget The Massacre In 1967 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by dfos2k(m): 7:07am On Jul 22, 2020
Nice history lessons going on!
Meanwhile if you're a Rivers state civil servant, get a very low loan facility to kick-start your recovery from this pandemic from Zedvance!
Reach me on 08099192536 (07037532769 WhatsApp)
Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by 24SEVEN: 7:08am On Jul 22, 2020
kollinzgee:

You are free to think whatever you like it's the Ikwerres that have problem with Igbos not we just that the hate Is contagious it spread to us.

So you feel it is convenient to throw Ikwerre under the bus. Simply appease the Igbos while leaving Ikwerres out of your summation. It shouldn't be too difficult.

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Oghene1st: 7:10am On Jul 22, 2020
chuka5000:

the funniest of them all Is anioma people of delta, they speak pure Igbo, dress the Igbo cultural way, answer pure Igbo names but decided to answer another name and then become minority even in their own state where they're supposed to be the majority

Young man be wise. Urhobo is the majority even if the anioma groups remain one. Urhobo is still much higher than them in thousands. Delta Central for Urhobos in 2006 population is 1,575,738 while Delta North is 1,229,282. Mind you, the Urhobos are still in Delta South.

3 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by OfoIgbo: 7:24am On Jul 22, 2020
Dedetwo:

According to the oral history, you need to remember the famous Akalaka or Akaraka had a brother whose name was Ochichi or Ochichiri. Both words were\are not intelligible in Bini or Edo.

They call him AKALAKA, not AKARAKA and that's for a reason that will become obvious when the Nris speak

3 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by OfoIgbo: 7:31am On Jul 22, 2020
lordonwils:

I see you are Etche. Please speak for only Etche and leave Ikwerre out of your history lessons. I am sure Ikwerre and Ekpye people know who they really are.

Ikwerres and Etches claim to be descended from the same ancestor, AKALAKA.

Ekpeye = AKPA OHIA = BUSH BAG in English

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by IvarTheBoneless: 7:35am On Jul 22, 2020
IkwerrePikin:

I doubt if you are Etche because as a Rivers man from Ikwerre, i know and have etchie friends who know their history which is not related to Igbo.

If you are truly etche then you’re a disgrace to etchie people. You went to the university in Lagos, instead of you to form your cultural group, you decided to join igbo cultural group. The etches in Rivers state universities do they have their own cultural group or join the igbos? Of course they have their own cultural group in Rivers state universities but yet you went to Lagos to betray your people that is why i doubt if you’re truly Etche.

Another thing is that, you lack true history. If you don’t know your history, then you don’t know where you come from, and that is your problem.

Ikwerre,Ekpeye, Ogba and Etche people are not Igbos and have never been Igbos.

Kollinzgee is a flat head Igbo from Aba or Umuahia. Just fooling himself and trying to change a narrative that can NEVER change. grin

Mission Impossible. They are not Igbos and will NEVER be no matter the tears... grin

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Tranquill: 7:36am On Jul 22, 2020
selemempe:
can you tell us what connects ikwere to Bini?
You bear Igbo names
Your village bears Igbo names
Your kings are called eze instead of oba
Your 3 small LGAs don't have any border with Bini
Your language sounds like a typical Anambra language
Your dressing is the modern Igbo isiagu dress
In the old eastern region, ikwere was considered Igbo

Please tell us what in your culture connects you with Bini

Read the interview below where Bianca Ojukwu's brother traced their family history to Benin and tell me if Ngwo people share boundary and bear Benin names.

https://punchng.com/dad-dodged-security-boarded-bus-govt-house-c-c-onohs-son/

I know some ethnic group in the Volta region of Ghana that also trace their history to Benin after initially settling in Dahomey. Tell your story and let others tell theirs. You can't force yourself on people that know their history.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by oyatz(m): 7:39am On Jul 22, 2020
Is this paper which could have been written by anybody superior to the Ogbakor Ikwerre declaration of 1963 which defined their ethnic group?

I hope you know that Ikwerres were part of the Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers (COR) Movement of the 1950s agitating for the creation of a separate Region for the Minorities in the defunct Eastern Region?

They also presented Memos to the Willinks Commission of 1959 to look into the fears of the fears of Minorities.

selemempe:
can you tell us with evidence what Igbos did to ikwere and ekpeye etc during the old eastern region
Look at this old document from 1960s...see what ikwere was described as?

2 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 22, 2020
kollinzgee:
[s]I am not here to a force Igbo identity on any group of people as it is normally done here in nairaland I believe every human being has the right to choose their identity.i am from etchie local government in rivers state throughout my childhood I was told I am not Igbo which I believed, but as I grew up to become an adult I decided to put sentiment aside and face reality.it all started when I gained admission into yabatech in Lagos ,at one time it became mandatory to join a cultural group in school that relates to your ethnic group at first I was confused then I asked myself should I join Yoruba,Igbo or Hausa group in school of course I naturally joined the Igbo group since we are related which I believe a decision I believe any one in my shoes will naturally make.

As time went on we had meetings every weekends we contribute money it was more like a club.i took it serious because because we always have this feast at the end of every semester since I naturally love food I never miss any . grin grin.
Through my stay in that meeting I realised something, we are not different from this Igbo people the infact we are a part of the Igbo race.

There is this popular belief in my family that we etches and Ikwerre migrated from Benin i have always believed this ideology until I was opportuned to read an old history book written by our colonial masters in the library , I learned a lot about igbos .do you know Igbos once had tribal marks just like that of yorubas?do you know Igbos were the most difficult ethnic group to be colonised by British the resistance was bloody the stubbornness we still maintain till this day .

I have some questions and I stand to be corrected...

(1)My fellow rivers brothers if we are different from Igbos why do we bear the same names with them?why do our towns and cities bear Igbo names I guess these towns and villahes have being named thousands of years ago before our generation.

(2)is there any ethnic group in the world that bears the same name with its land,in Yorubaland where i was raised there is no place called Yoruba in Yorubaland. There is no place in hausa in hausaland.how come every Igbo speaking group outside the southeast bears the same name with its land? Etche ethnic group in etche local government,ika local government is ika people,Ikwerre local government is Ikwerres people it's so confusing and never seen before.

3) as a learned person if you ask me to define an ethnic group (tribe) I would tell you an ethnic group is a group of people who have similar language,name ,culture,food etc and it must be different from all other groups.how come we have almost 80% similarity with Igbos but we want to be different from them doesn't that confuse you.

(4)where is our Benin heritage?i had Benin friends when I was in school I can bet you there is no single similarity in our languages and style,How come there is no single Benin heritage left in our culture and language .did our ancestors develop amnesia? If it's true our Igbos influenced our culture and language how come the ogonis and ijaws in Kalabari did not adopt Igbo language despite how tiny they are?

Truth and common sense over sentiments anytime and anydaye, I am not a minority ethnic group I am Igbo the rest of can deny your Identity i am not part of you. [/s]

Go to their community and ask them and not repeating same topic everyday here.

I bet high heavens that none of the said people read this nonsense and multiple trash

If you have any questions to ask them, drive down and meet and their kings and ask them the questions

Nairaland no be Ikwerreland... nonsense and buhari

3 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 7:47am On Jul 22, 2020
[[s]quote author=Oghene1st post=91970547]

Young man be wise. Urhobo is the majority even if the anioma groups remain one. Urhobo is still much higher than them in thousands. Delta Central for Urhobos in 2006 population is 1,575,738 while Delta North is 1,229,282. Mind you, the Urhobos are still in Delta South. [/quote][/s] Who dash Urhobo the majority? Are you including isoko people as part of Urhobo if so please stop dreaming.

1 Like

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by OfoIgbo: 7:47am On Jul 22, 2020
Yujin:

But Chibuike Amaechi said he has Igbo heritage. What's your response on that issue?

And the current Ohanaeze secretary general is an Ikwerre man.

I'm not trying to force the Ikwerres into the Igbo group though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by oyatz(m): 7:47am On Jul 22, 2020
Both sides have very valid points.

1) Pro Igbos: they are basing their points on similarities of languages and culture.

2) Anti-Igbo: They are basing their points on their NON- NRI ancestries.

Afam4eva:
I've always maintained the fact that people are who they say they are whether or not they're playing politics with it and that is why for a while now i've come to accept Ikwerres as a distinct ethnic group because they're far gone and nothing can make them Igbo again. Infact, some of them have resorted to lies just to push this non-Igbo narrative but it's still acceptable, afterall there are are ethnic groups in other parts of the world that have similar language and culture.

Now for other Igboid groups in Rivers and Delta States especially Etche/Omuma, Ndoki, Aniocha/Oshimili, i've always wondered why they would deny being Igbo when they're the most Igbotic of the Igboid groups in Delta and Rivers state. For some reason, i can give a pass to Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ukwuani, Ika and Ndoni but the former groups i mention are unmistakably Igbo and not just because of language and culture but because they are contiguous with Igboland and if not for state creation that took them to a different state, they would have naturally been in either Abia/Imo or Anambra.

I like the fact that the OP opened his mind and did his research and come to a logical conclusion which is what many people cannot do because they want to take their current narrative to the grave. Even though i don't think you need a research to see that you are Igbo. By your language and the culture/traditions you practice, it should be seld evident.
Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 22, 2020
Ojiofor:

So far as there are still people like you in that region,there is indeed hope for the future of your people.Keep it up.

Keep up what exactly?

This is another form of colonisation taking place.

1 Like

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by selemempe: 7:55am On Jul 22, 2020
Tranquill:

Read the interview below where Bianca Ojukwu's brother traced their family history to Benin and tell me if Ngwo people share boundary and bear Benin names.

https://punchng.com/dad-dodged-security-boarded-bus-govt-house-c-c-onohs-son/

I know some ethnic group in the Volta region of Ghana that also trace their history to Benin after initially settling in Dahomey. Tell your story and let others tell theirs. You can't force yourself on people that know their history.
lol...so the onohs of Enugu are now also of Bini ancestry. cheesy
Keep shooting yourselves

Now that you have said this rubbish, can you now answer my initial question.
What in ikwere culture links them with Bini? What part of their culture is Bini

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Dedetwo(m): 8:03am On Jul 22, 2020
oyatz:
Is this paper which could have been written by anybody superior to the Ogbakor Ikwerre declaration of 1963 which defined their ethnic group?

I hope you know that Ikwerres were part of the Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers (COR) Movement of the 1950s agitating for the creation of a separate Region for the Minorities in the defunct Eastern Region?

They also presented Memos to the Willinks Commission of 1959 to look into the fears of the fears of Minorities.

As far as I am concerned, Ikwerre are Bini period. Even though one of my aunt was married to Ikwerre dude who passed as Igbo before Nigeria\Biafra war. In addition, delimitation of territories for governmental purposes does not confirm ethnicity.

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by oyatz(m): 8:05am On Jul 22, 2020
Neither Ikwerres, Etche nor Ekpeyes being discussed are Yorubas,so how did you manage to drag Yorubas into this topic.

Over 95% of the Yoruba people don't even know that there are some people called Ikwerres, Etche or Ekpeyes.

If you are in doubt, just ask a random guy on the Street of Ikorodu, Ondo, Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Ijebu-Ode or Shaki whether he believes Ikwerres, Etche and Ekpeyes are Igbos. He will most likely tell you, he doesn't know these people.

Malawian:
The reason Yoruba's cliim to be united and one common wealth is because they are all parasites in the Nigerian state. They have nothing they can drag with one another for sustenance.

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 22, 2020
Ikwerrepikin
Phemmyfour
IvarTheBoneless

I ended up not even reading any single submission from the targeted audience because yorubas won't allow the thread go serene.

Disgracing awolowo up and down.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by chuka5000(m): 8:16am On Jul 22, 2020
Oghene1st:

Young man be wise. Urhobo is the majority even if the anioma groups remain one. Urhobo is still much higher than them in thousands. Delta Central for Urhobos in 2006 population is 1,575,738 while Delta North is 1,229,282. Mind you, the Urhobos are still in Delta South.

oghenechukwu be wise, how urhobo wey dey share Delta south (lower part of Delta) with itsekiri isoko and ijaw take how e take pass the whole of Delta north

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by mrvitalis(m): 8:17am On Jul 22, 2020
IkwerrePikin:

I doubt if you are Etche because as a Rivers man from Ikwerre, i know and have etchie friends who know their history which is not related to Igbo.

If you are truly etche then you’re a disgrace to etchie people. You went to the university in Lagos, instead of you to form your cultural group, you decided to join igbo cultural group. The etches in Rivers state universities do they have their own cultural group or join the igbos? Of course they have their own cultural group in Rivers state universities but yet you went to Lagos to betray your people that is why i doubt if you’re truly Etche.

Another thing is that, you lack true history. If you don’t know your history, then you don’t know where you come from, and that is your problem.

Ikwerre,Ekpeye, Ogba and Etche people are not Igbos and have never been Igbos.
Only a DNA test can solve this once and for all
Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by kollinzgee(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2020
IvarTheBoneless:

Kollinzgee is a flat head Igbo from Aba or Umuahia. Just fooling himself and trying to change a narrative that can NEVER change. grin

Mission Impossible. They are not Igbos and will NEVER be no matter the tears... grin

Why do you guys like to cause division amongst brothers why Nature will punish you for it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by kollinzgee(m): 8:19am On Jul 22, 2020
mrvitalis:

Only a DNA test can solve this once and for all

Bro trust me they will never do it , you don't need a DNA test to confirm it.

3 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Oghene1st: 8:21am On Jul 22, 2020
Nwanyiogwashi:

Young man be wise. Urhobo is the majority even if the anioma groups remain one. Urhobo is still much higher than them in thousands. Delta Central for Urhobos in 2006 population is 1,575,738 while Delta North is 1,229,282. Mind you, the Urhobos are still in Delta South. [/s] Who dash Urhobo the majority? Are you including isoko people as part of Urhobo if so please stop dreaming.

Don't be a fool. There are three senatorial districts n Delta. Delta Central is purely for Urhobos, Delta North for the Igbo groups and Delta South for Ijaw (majority), Isoko, Itsekiri and Urhobo.

The Deputy Senate President is from Delta Central.

The population of Urhobos in Delta Central alone is 1.5m+ which is higher than the whole of Igbo groups in Delta North. If we are to include the Urhobos in Delta South, then .....

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by mrvitalis(m): 8:21am On Jul 22, 2020
kollinzgee:

Bro trust me they will never do it , you don't need a DNA test to confirm it.
I'm Igbo , I'm from imo ...etche is just close to ngo okpala were I have my farm ....i can over look ikwerri
But ndoni , etche , oyigbo ? These are all pure Igbo na

Amadioha shrine is in etche ...for heaven's sake

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Oghene1st: 8:23am On Jul 22, 2020
chuka5000:

oghenechukwu be wise, how urhobo wey dey share Delta south with itsekiri isoko and ijaw take pass the whole of Delta north
Don't be a fool. There are three senatorial districts n Delta. Delta Central is purely for Urhobos, Delta North for the Igbo groups and Delta South for Ijaw (majority), Isoko, Itsekiri and Urhobo.

The Deputy Senate President is from Delta Central.

The population of Urhobos in Delta Central alone is 1.5m+ which is higher than the whole of Igbo groups in Delta North. If we are to include the Urhobos in Delta South, then .....

More reason other tribes don't want you close. You people have this inbuilt domineering spirit where it is not needed.

4 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by splendour7(m): 8:25am On Jul 22, 2020
Wether You Claim Bini,igbo,yorubas,fulanis, Or What Ever! We The Igbos In SE don't care,this argument only exist on nairaland,mejority igbos out there dont even no that you guys exist...i only came to no about you guys here on nairaland,i have asked many of my igbo friends here if they knew about,ikweres,ika,etches or what ever, they said they don't no them....me as an igbo guy dnt even see SS people as igbos....i see all of them as ijaws!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by IvarTheBoneless: 8:26am On Jul 22, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Ikwerrepikin
Phemmyfour
IvarTheBoneless

I ended up not even reading any single submission from the targeted audience because yorubas won't allow the thread go serene.

Disgracing awolowo up and down.

Hehehe. You read all the comments and cried your eyes out to have seen all 3 posted.

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Blackking98(m): 8:31am On Jul 22, 2020
kollinzgee:

Bro you are very wrong,my first girlfriend ifeanyi was from ibuzor she never denied being Igbo.i have also seeing many delta Igbos here in Lagos they have never denied being Igbos.i am only sure of Ikwerres and and etchies not delta Igbos.my best friends in secondary school luck okoye and ugochukwu who is now in delsu never denied being Igbo we even speak Igbo together.
Seconded
I school in unical.
In my department we have aniomas and Rivers igbos. The aniomas when Asked if they're Igbo will tell u yes they're Delta Igbo. But the ikwerres and others can behead you for calling them igbos. My departmental experience tho

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by kollinzgee(m): 8:32am On Jul 22, 2020
phemmyfour:
Sunday Oliseh said he isn't Igbo

Who is Sunday oliseh to be a spokesman his people..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Oghene1st: 8:35am On Jul 22, 2020
Nwanyiogwashi:

Young man be wise. Urhobo is the majority even if the anioma groups remain one. Urhobo is still much higher than them in thousands. Delta Central for Urhobos in 2006 population is 1,575,738 while Delta North is 1,229,282. Mind you, the Urhobos are still in Delta South. [/s] Who dash Urhobo the majority? Are you including isoko people as part of Urhobo if so please stop dreaming.

We Urhobos don't force people to be part of us. We have since given the Isokos their freedom from the Urhobo nation even though there is no difference between the Isokos and the Urhobos culturally. The Isoko and Urhobo language are 99.9 percent the same. We have the same customs, we eat the same food, bear the same name, the same dressing but the Isokos said they don't want to be part of the Urhobo nation and we have given them freedom. We don't force people to be part of us sir unlike what the Igbos are doing to the Ikwerres. For your information, Urhobo and Isoko are much more similar than Igbos and Ikwerres but the Urhobos are not saying the Isokos are Urhobos and we have since put it in our minds that they are Isokos and not Urhobos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by SaintBishop: 8:36am On Jul 22, 2020
Dedetwo:

Arrant nonsense!!! The most of the progenitors of the todays' so-called Ijo were Igbo. Some of the forbearers wore names only intelligible to Igbo person. Names such as Utazi, Otaji, Ediabali. Azumini. Ikiri, Ndoli, Opuamakuba etc. However some took names from Indians and Filipinos who were ship hands or mates on the British ships. Equally the names of ship Captains on British ships were embraced as "nicknames". Besides Ijo, there is no other ethnic group in eastern region as close to Igbo as the Annang, Ibibio and Ogoni. Why did influence of the Igbo fail to change the names and languages of these groups?

Interesting! So you're telling me the likes of kalabari, Okrika and co were all igbos? shocked shocked

Wonderful lipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by kingzizzy: 8:38am On Jul 22, 2020
Somebody speaks Igbo as his ancestral language and has an Igbo surname. The person turns around and says he is not Igbo. When you ask him why he is not Igbo, he will say that his ancestors migrated from Bini, Igala, Nupe etc. When you ask him, "why are you not claiming to be Bini, Igala or Nupe", he will say nothing. When you ask how come his ancestors dropped their language and surnames and adopted Igbo, he will say nothing

When you ask him why his Bini, Igala or Nupe ancestors chose to give the place the settled Igbo names, he has no answer.

I laugh when Ikwerres say they are a 'distinct ethnic group". How can you be distinct when it is Igbo you are speaking and have Igbo surnames? What is there to differentiate you from someone from Umuahia?

When you look well you find out that all the denial is just based on economic and political considerations.

14 Likes

Re: My Question For Ikwerre, Epkeye And Anioma Groups. by Ojiofor: 8:39am On Jul 22, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Keep up what exactly?

This is another form of colonisation taking place.

Who is colonising who?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Uchendu Secures PDP's Ticket For Arochukwu/Ohafia Rep Seat / ADC Presidential Candidate, Dumebi Kachikwu Tests Positive For Covid-19 / Fuel Scarcity Hits Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.