Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities (8185 Views)

The First Vice Chancellors Of UNILAG And Uni Of Ibadan Were Igbos / Vice Chancellors To Buhari, 'single Account Will Disrupt University System' / Jonathanians, Can We See The Pictures Of The So-called 9 Brand New Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by AfroCynic: 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2011
Kai! Only in Naija will you be paid for a job that has not commenced. So, if these universities are not built nko? These people will be chopping money ti ti lai lai?

As an aside, there is way too much power concentrated at the centre. Goodness! What is the president doing appointing VCs? Na wa o.

Let people open their eyes, this fisherman is NOT the man Nigeria needs! Where is the $22billion that has vanished out of the ECA? Why is he selling the Speaker and Senate Presidents their accommodation that belong to the Nigerian people? This man is weak, he is sniveling and he not fit for purpose.

I do not care who he is, Nigeria needs a strong leader with a vision, this cow boy hat wearing mumu from Bayelsa is just not that one.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Okwyjesus(m): 10:14pm On Feb 10, 2011
Am happy for one man VEN OSITADIMMA CHINEDU NEBO. This man transformed UNN. Why not EBONYI where his work will be appreciated the more,
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Pharoh: 10:15pm On Feb 10, 2011
ayubam:

That is the way my brother. There is no point. Well if you guys feel it is a good way to go, good. But I differ in such thinking. University Education is meant to be strategic. In India, the govt developed there technical schools and focus on IT and software development, Japan did similar things back home. China did the same. They sent their best brains to USA and UK to learn what work and they return home to transfer ideas. The issue is most of the work place really do not need graduates. It is poor standard of education that made them insist a graduate yet they have to be trained and retrained. Developing basic education is not as expensive as University and it will do us better advantage. Nigerian leaders love to be seen to be doing something but we really waste a lot of money on things that wont help us in anyway. That is my argument

I fully understand your point and i agree with them, we are on the same track trust me. I also want to see radical changes in our education system and the development path the government is trying to take. I know what china and the other countries have done but the most surprising to me has been india because some decades or years ago we were on the same level. They have really left us far behind now and even china is trying to incorporate their model by moving away from just mostly manufacturing and exporting. They are moving into the research, development and service sector.

What i found to be very interesting about these  countries ( singapore, china, india etc ) is that  they have a very purposeful government and a relatively calm polity. These cannot be said about nigeria because except the polity is stable there is no way we are going to fix the education sector or any other strategic sector. To me education development goes hand in hand with a good economy, our economy is in shambles and there is no way we can move forward without the economy. We cannot train the needed graduate as well that will not get the needed support or funding to startup something reasonable. So many foreign expatriates are filling up positions that should have been left for Nigerian graduates but honestly we do not have these exparts in most cases.

I really don't like putting too much blame on the president. We have the universities and ministry of education that should have been the driving force towards these changes but they have not been doing enough. The president needs support from exparts and you also know that every move in these country has to deal with politics and satisfying some interest. You cannot fix this country or education system without meeting trouble on the way, try to even fix it and you will meet corruption. My point is that we need to  fix a lot of things before we can see changes or impacts on the little efforts we have been putting in these strategic sectors like education, power etc.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by sirabbey(m): 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2011
AfroCynic:

This man is weak, he is sniveling and he not fit for purpose.

I do not care who he is, Nigeria needs a strong leader with a vision, this cow boy hat wearing mumu from Bayelsa is just not that one.

Sounds very harsh, perhaps rude and disrespectful but sadly it is not far from the truth.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 10:52pm On Feb 10, 2011
Pharoh:

I fully understand your point and i agree with them, we are on the same track trust me. I also want to see radical changes in our education system and the development path the government is trying to take. I know what china and the other countries have done but the most surprising to me has been india because some decades or years ago we were on the same level. They have really left us far behind now and even china is trying to incorporate their model by moving away from just mostly manufacturing and exporting. They are moving into the research, development and service sector.

What i found to be very interesting about these  countries ( singapore, china, india etc ) is that  they have a very purposeful government and a relatively calm polity. These cannot be said about nigeria because except the polity is stable there is no way we are going to fix the education sector or any other strategic sector. To me education development goes hand in hand with a good economy, our economy is in shambles and there is no way we can move forward without the economy. We cannot train the needed graduate as well that will not get the needed support or funding to startup something reasonable. So many foreign expatriates are filling up positions that should have been left for Nigerian graduates but honestly we do not have these exparts in most cases.

I really don't like putting too much blame on the president. We have the universities and ministry of education that should have been the driving force towards these changes but they have not been doing enough. The president needs support from exparts and you also know that every move in these country has to deal with politics and satisfying some interest. You cannot fix this country or education system without meeting trouble on the way, try to even fix it and you will meet corruption. My point is that we need to  fix a lot of things before we can see changes or impacts on the little efforts we have been putting in these strategic sectors like education, power etc.

Well I agree with all your points. I do not expect a President to stand up one day and solve all of Nigeria's problem in one tenure. What is lacking is direction to follow the desired path. How do you explain the sack of Remi Babalola (the minister of state for finance) over his statement about the obvious that NNPC is insolvent? If not for the record of Sanusi, he could have been fired over his statement about the legislators allowances and jumbo pay. How do you explain GEJ approving the sale of houses to the speakers at this critical time. The ministry of education are no strong institution but puppets to do Presidents bid. If you will agree with me, OBJ paraded the best technocrats in office during his tenure but he will not give them the necessary support if his own selfish interest is not guaranteed. People give OBJ applause for bringing GSM as if GSM is an infrastructure? We all pay through our nose to get good service and will applaud him for that. In terms of infrastructural developments, how many can u point as achievement of OBJ's Govt.

Why do people applaud Fashola, Infrastructure, Education and Security. I am sure many of us might not see this but the state of primary and secondary education in Lagos has improved. Curriculum are being changed to reflect modern Montessori teachings.

We cannot develop a good university first b4 this one. It is misplaced priority. GEJ knows this but would rather embark on White elephant projects for gullible people to see and derail the polity.

What happen to the beautifully crafted 7-point agenda of Yaradua. One would think GEJ will continue from there since that is the manifesto of PDP. How has that transit to the establishment of Universities. Ghana has just 3 university but their teacher training colleges, technical schools and polytechics are excellent. Oyinlola did the same thing few months to election by creating several nonsense campuses of osun state universities and where are they today. They ask student to pay 205,000 as tuition per session. Do you think that is what Nigeria needs at this moment.

The human capacity development will need cannot be achieved by creating more universities. The Nigerian envt has enough graduates looking for jobs. In fact many graduates from USA and UK (especially) have now increased the competition that God help you to finish from one mushroom university without developing ursef.

That is my point. Do not waste our resources further. The creation of this universities is just to appeal to the gullible conscience of those societies that at least house rent will move up, economic activities will increase and that is purely trading. That will never note me. develop our nation. You cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different result.

GEJ missed this one and to me he has shown that he does not have the necessary capacity to govern this nation. I am not saying he is not a good person. He is definitely brilliant as a PHD holder but government is too big for this guy. I think we need honest man who will always for the interest of this nation protect our collective wealth
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Sunnykaka(m): 12:01am On Feb 11, 2011
they the school is going to take off september, will they admit student through jamb or will the schools sale there direct entry form.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mrofficial(m): 12:05am On Feb 11, 2011
^^ Me self dey think about am.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 1:03am On Feb 11, 2011
Person establish schools, them say na offence, begin call am different names, na wa o. If him kill person, which kain names dem for come call am?

spend money on NEPA, dem say na becos him wan steal money.

buy jets, dem say na thief.

put money aside for employment- dem say na say im for fit chop money.

release money for INEC - dem, say half don go him pocket

release money for police towards election, dem say, haba, bros - na half don go him pocket.

hmmmm - which one again self?

help Nigerians comot from Egypt - dem say, na so make him fit award the contract to Patience.

Ok - removed import restrictions on textiles and others goods - dem say no, say na because Patience dey sell those goods.

Queue disappeared from gas stations - dem say no be am do am - na providence.

Shared 1b Naira to three tiers of government from ECA, dem say 1b don enter him pocket.

Say make Minister of health resign due to corruption charges - dem say na because d man no gree make GEJ lay him wife.

Wetin?

Even now- The same YaraAdua wey dem call slow slow - na im don become the best - ha!

Talk dey very cheap sha.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by otokx(m): 2:18am On Feb 11, 2011
Government magic
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:17am On Feb 11, 2011
Given the extent to which the existing Nigerian universities are backed up and jammed full,  and the commendable manner in which the VC's were appointed without regard to ethnicity, I would actually have to commend this move. Props to GEJ on this one.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Obiagu1(m): 4:26am On Feb 11, 2011
Okwyjesus:

Am happy for one man VEN OSITADIMMA CHINEDU NEBO. This man transformed UNN. Why not EBONYI where his work will be appreciated the more,

Ebonyi or Bayelsa but why Ekiti 
Before you know it, they'll start fighting him with juju as if na him make himself VP.

GEJ just want kill the man for nothing.  sad
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 4:59am On Feb 11, 2011
Folks have a reason to be skeptical about any Nigerian government move, not because it is cool to do so but more of there are antecedents of mismanagement.

However, I support the FG on this move simply because the of a few reasons
1. By 2015, people under 20 years-old will account for 52% of the population in Nigeria, two things, a very young population and an ageing one. Depending on the census data you have that is about 60 million young folks. We need to absorb them. The existing universities + private cannot handle a third of that number.

2. I believe education can help with reducing killings either religious or political violence, we can reduce barbaric killings if more peeps are educated

3. I understand Quality vs Quantity arguments, there is an institutional problem that even if we invested all the money in the schools, it won't solve much until we address those problems. This is where credible Non-Profits can come in and become the conscience of our universities, we can have a grading system for all the universities. It will impact school admins and make them more responsible.

4. The biggest problem we have in this country is we don't like to build small, instead of University of Federal everything, why not have specialized schools. For popular courses like Social sciences, Law etc. It saves costs for government and private. It is the reason why most private universities will struggle for a long time cos they are jack of all trades. A good example is the LBS

In all this, FG has made a good move but it doesn't end here, we need to do more but its a start.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by cvibe: 5:32am On Feb 11, 2011
Well done
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Acidosis(m): 5:50am On Feb 11, 2011
I'm so happy! Atleast my state can boast of a federal university.
For those asking the aim and essence of these new institution
1. Job/employment opportunity for both teaching and non teaching staffs. Take for instance in Delta state uni, Abraka, a Professor/HOD recieves over 800,000 thousand naira as monthly salary. A graduate lecturer, 100,000 plus monthly.
2. Job opportunity for skilled and unskilled labourers, such as electricians, builders, architects, tilers, carpenters, just name it!
3. Admission opportunity for qualified candidates.
4. Investment opportunity, such as, hostels, business centres, cyber cafe, boutiques, restaurants, more banks etc.
5. Scholarships and bursary
And above all, these schools will produce graduates that will help the nation's, political system, scientific research, technological advancement.
I don't blame the haters, but my guess is, none is an indegene of the 8 states. If you think the institutions are too many, take your pen and write the government to scrap that federal uni in your locality. For example, an indegene of OSUN state can protest against OAU. DO U GET THAT?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 6:44am On Feb 11, 2011
I hate, detest and despise all these blind anti-GEJ!
If he has done something good, commend him and stop hating! Kai.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 6:50am On Feb 11, 2011
Odunnu:

I hate, detest and despise all these blind anti-GEJ!
If he has done something good, commend him and stop hating! Kai.

I concur!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 6:53am On Feb 11, 2011
Did Bolaji Aluko resign from Howard?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 6:59am On Feb 11, 2011
First of all I need to state that am a Niger Deltan ( Delta State precisely) b4 some one will eat me raw. The point am trying to make is  I don't understant this congratultory messages of welldone and so on for a dumb decision. Why start more Universities at this stage when the existing ones are practically dead. A reasonable % of our fresh graduates are not even compute savvy ( if you doubt ask Jega and INEC) the nigerian degree is not worth a dime outside this country (except ofcourse for admission processes in otherparts ofthe world). And for those who think it is something special for their state to  have a federal university, I salute your absurd mind or reasoning! Good Morning.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mbulela: 7:52am On Feb 11, 2011
Is it the same Bolaji Aluko or are my eyes deceiving me?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mbulela: 7:53am On Feb 11, 2011
it is all about quality, not quantity.
damn it!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 7:54am On Feb 11, 2011
mbulela:

Is it the same Bolaji Aluko or are my eyes deceiving me?

I think it is the same one

WTF is Ibidapo Obe doing on that list!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mbulela: 8:05am On Feb 11, 2011
^^^^
yet they say i should have hope in this 'one chance' country?
even does who tend to make sense, end up joining the barbarians.
we are on a very long thing!!
tell me why we need more universities when the ones on the ground are almost moribund?
why will any person worth his salt accept a job to replicate glorious secondary schools around the place?
i just tire.
GEJ, well done.you are doing well.
no be your fault.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ejikeND(m): 9:26am On Feb 11, 2011
people can never change the way they talk,what is wrong in what GEJ did?may God forgive all bad belle.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 10:06am On Feb 11, 2011
Would somebody please tell me in few sentences what is wrong in/with our existing universities and proffer a solution to it.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by SUKURU(m): 10:16am On Feb 11, 2011
guys Rome was not built in a day, so all i have to say is give him a chance.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 11:16am On Feb 11, 2011
Odunnu:

Would somebody please tell me in few sentences what is wrong in/with our existing universities and proffer a solution to it.

Its quite unfortunate that one or two sentences as you have suggested cannot do justice to issue of the Nigerian university. Seriously i have had the previledge of having to school in both a Nigerian top federal 1st generation university and a regualr one outside the shores of this country. And trust me sister on this if you ever want to employ a fresh graduate for your organisation you will only think of a nigerian graduate if and only if there are no qualified foreign graduate.

The issues are simply too much, for me to start the most disturbing is the fact that the average graduate of the Nigerian system lack critical and creative reasoning ability and thats because the system does not encourage you to do that, rather just memorise some silly handouts and spew same 15 to 20 years old giberish out. What a shame.

As per solution i would have been more pleased if GEJ had invested his time and energy in getting those schools to their former glory rather than add to the rot
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 11:53am On Feb 11, 2011
How do you suggest he does this? Give a feasible step by step solution module
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 11:57am On Feb 11, 2011
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 11:59am On Feb 11, 2011
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 12:02pm On Feb 11, 2011
Odunnu:

I suppose you are setting me up for a backlash , like u can only criticise yet you can't find solution. The truth remains am not in position to give a step by step solution on this stuff cos its completely off my line and radar, but I also believe that GEJ has Special Advisers on such issues that should be a able to give a feasible solution of course if they are not the beauty queen type. Its all about developing a blue print that fits the future and following it rigously

And even if I can  give such feasible solution would I waste my time discussing it on nairaland ? with who? or to show say I sabi and win argument. C'mon don't lets kid ourselves new universities with the conditions of the existing ones are uncalled for.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by mbulela: 12:33pm On Feb 11, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

I suppose you are setting me up for a backlash , like u can only criticise yet you can't find solution. The truth remains am not in position to give a step by step solution on this stuff cos its completely off my line and radar, but I also believe that GEJ has Special Advisers on such issues that should be a able to give a feasible solution of course if they are not the beauty queen type. Its all about developing a blue print that fits the future and following it rigously

And even if I can  give such feasible solution would I waste my time discussing it on nairaland ? with who? or to show say I sabi and win argument. C'mon don't lets kid ourselves new universities with the conditions of the existing ones are uncalled for.
you are learning fast.
you will never win here.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Witi(m): 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

Ebonyi or Bayelsa but why Ekiti 
Before you know it, they'll start fighting him with juju as if na him make himself VP.

GEJ just want kill the man for nothing.  sad
You've got it completely wrong about Ekiti. We are peace loving people but we have low tolerance for cheating. Most of the issues that made you people to start seeing Ekiti in a bad light started when Obasanjo/pdp want to take over our state and do it the way they like.
If it is true that the man form UNN is good then be assured that Ekiti's will embrace him. The only problem I think he may have is in recruitment, he may make recruitment to favour his people from South East and of course Ekiti's will resist this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Jonathan Receiving More Insults Than Yar'adua And Obasanjo Combined Together? / Nigeria's External Reserves Drop By $1bn In 13 Days / Moment Governor Wike Ignored Rain To Rescue An Ogoni Daughter - A Rare Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.