Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities (8189 Views)

The First Vice Chancellors Of UNILAG And Uni Of Ibadan Were Igbos / Vice Chancellors To Buhari, 'single Account Will Disrupt University System' / Jonathanians, Can We See The Pictures Of The So-called 9 Brand New Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 3:04am On Feb 13, 2011
fstranger3:

Another lie. Are you by any way, Kobojunkie's husband?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Nigeria

So your list is credible, thank you. My point is, based on the population the number of universities are too small and every state deserves a Federal university. Just my opinion.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 9:11am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^ Yeah perhaps every state deserves a federal university yeah perhaps, however, if the 'Univesities' are no longer able to meet their primary aim of churning out quality graduates then whats the essence of spending 4 yrs studying in those schools when am sure I can get some dumb degree certification ( as it is the case these days by studying online in some funny institutions) in some weeks. After all I will claim that with all your 4 years in a Nigerian university in terms of knowledge you are not better off, and ofcourse that will be truth.

Our universities need to provide us with quality labour force, not some bombo yahoo scammers.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Akainzo(m): 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

So you would prefer the VP appointed the same day the building is completed? Or resume the same day the students come in? Is the running of a university all about buildings, who appoints the lecturers or sets up the day to day admin running of the school? Plus there is nothing bad if he is part of the design of the school. Not a GEJ fan but he got this one right. Funny peeps!

My guy, a simple use of the logical side of our brains would help us out a little. Yes he need not appoint the VC on opening day, but he definitely should not appoint the VC two years away from even the first building of the school! These schools have just been announced, and in case you are not aware, the hardest and critical part of any university accreditation are the faculties - buildings, facilities, laboratories, etc.

And those are more than two years away, giving the way we do things in Nigeria under the public sector. Whatever inputs those VCs could inject are better handled by the Ministry of Education.

Pharoh:

The CEO of an existing company is different from that of a start up company so your analogy does not fall in line. So if you as a person decides to run a primary or secondary school business. You will just go ahead, build the school and then start looking for teachers and workers right? Everything is planning and it is right to appoint the VC so he can contribute to the establishment and future running of the school from now on. The other staffs, linkages and connections to the industry and education sector has to be made. Curriculum has to be developed for these new schools. So what is wrong there in appointing them to start working on the overall project of these new schools so there can be a smooth take off at the right time.

So you expect the CEO of a start-up company to first employ an MD first before the product is ready or the company is registered? How much for smartness!
If I intend to run a school business, I would buy the land, get the approval, start building and engage consultants on how best to setup the school. But definitely would not appoint a Principal first before starting to build my school.
Now do you understand how intelligent people go about planning to achieve results?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 8:07pm On Feb 13, 2011
@kcjazz

Man, where on earth did you get the 50 numbers from? You mean our universities and colleges are just 50? hehehehe, i laugh again, i just don't want to waste my time with someone who thinks it's proper to appoint vc to schools that are yet to be sited, nor has their foundation been laid.

Hope you know what's happening in Kogi and Ekiti? they are fighting on where it should be sited.

Who even told GEJ he's going to remain President come May 29th? no one has answered that.

Why not concentrate on the visible things for and stop the promises and "i will" speeches? he has 2 months to do something about the ailing schools, about the federal roads and about the power he keeps promising us. I am in total darkness now and i don't even think i can ever trust a man like him again after all the series of lies about power since 2010.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 5:32am On Feb 14, 2011
Akainzo:

My guy, a simple use of the logical side of our brains would help us out a little. Yes he need not appoint the VC on opening day, but he definitely should not appoint the VC two years away from even the first building of the school! These schools have just been announced, and in case you are not aware, the hardest and critical part of any university accreditation are the faculties - buildings, facilities, laboratories, etc.

And those are more than two years away, giving the way we do things in Nigeria under the public sector. Whatever inputs those VCs could inject are better handled by the Ministry of Education.

Like I mentioned before you have a right to be skeptical
First off, there is no Nigerian University that was built ready-made for service, most started either in an old secondary school or with 1 or 2 buildings. So the building is the easy part.
Secondly, who admits the students and when do you do that? The school will run a research to know what faculties to start with. Not every course will be there on the same day. The accreditation you mention makes me laugh because you can't have it before having students in place and showing a profile of your professors. My experience, I have been part of 2 new schools both secondary and private university in Nigeria and all started at least 2-3 years before taking their first students.

Akainzo:

So you expect the CEO of a start-up company to first employ an MD first before the product is ready or the company is registered? How much for smartness!
If I intend to run a school business, I would buy the land, get the approval, start building and engage consultants on how best to setup the school. But definitely would not appoint a Principal first before starting to build my school.
Now do you understand how intelligent people go about planning to achieve results?

Not if the CEO is Steve Jobs, a strategy guy, not every CEO knows the product so yes you would have to hire a person who can actually bring your ideas to life, take your land agreement to a venture capitalist and see if they will invest in your idea. You don't even name yourself CEO if you don't know your product. Title of Who does what is not even the issue, you need someone to do the leg work. In this case a VC.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 5:50am On Feb 14, 2011
10cirenoh:

@kcjazz

Man, where on earth did you get the 50 numbers from? You mean our universities and colleges are just 50? hehehehe, i laugh again, i just don't want to waste my time with someone who thinks it's proper to appoint vc to schools that are yet to be sited, nor has their foundation been laid.

Hope you know what's happening in Kogi and Ekiti? they are fighting on where it should be sited.

Who even told GEJ he's going to remain President come May 29th? no one has answered that.

Why not concentrate on the visible things for and stop the promises and "i will" speeches? he has 2 months to do something about the ailing schools, about the federal roads and about the power he keeps promising us. I am in total darkness now and i don't even think i can ever trust a man like him again after all the series of lies about power since 2010.

I mentioned, less or about 50 and someone pointed the numbers to be wrong and I have admitted but still it is less than 100. My point is not about number of Universities, it is about our population and the fact that the universities are not enough. Every university federal or state gives preferential treatment based on a quota system to citizens of their states to encourage more folks to go to school. Some people take JAMB get high scores but could still not be get admitted based on this system if he/she is not a native.

That peeps are fighting is not a GEJ problem, it just shows it is an opportunity for their communities at least they are not rejecting it.

Again GEJ is a President, its not about him hence if he lives, the next guy will still go with this at least we have a National Planning Commission and a Ministry of Education which I believe have the numbers to back this move. Eection move or not, I don't care, I just need young kids to go to school.

Am not even a GEJ fan, and rightly there are other problems . I have looked at the numbers and it is my belief that we need more schools, and then sit down to talk about the institutional problems affecting our education.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 10:09am On Feb 14, 2011
kcjazz:

I mentioned, less or about 50 and someone pointed the numbers to be wrong and I have admitted but still it is less than 100. My point is not about number of Universities, it is about our population and the fact that the universities are not enough. Every university federal or state gives preferential treatment based on a quota system to citizens of their states to encourage more folks to go to school. Some people take JAMB get high scores but could still not be get admitted based on this system if he/she is not a native.

That peeps are fighting is not a GEJ problem, it just shows it is an opportunity for their communities at least they are not rejecting it.

Again GEJ is a President, its not about him hence if he lives, the next guy will still go with this at least we have a National Planning Commission and a Ministry of Education which I believe have the numbers to back this move. Eection move or not, I don't care, I just need young kids to go to school.

Am not even a GEJ fan, and rightly there are other problems . I have looked at the numbers and it is my belief that we need more schools, and then sit down to talk about the institutional problems affecting our education.

Man, stop making up numbers, go and do your own research and stop throwing numbers up and down the air. what makes you think we don't have more than 100 universities, colleges of education, polytechnics, Technical schools in Nigeria? go and get JAMB brochure, it's there for you to see, we have more than 100 HIGHER INSTITUTION.

More universities is not our problem now mr man, can graduates of our existing universities qualified to be called a real graduate? our schools where student buy grades and marks with money and their body? The standard of education is dead man, that's what GEJ should be addressing and not adding more dead glorified secondary schools to the already existing ones.

To make matter worse, even went ahead to appoint VCs for imaginary schools grin grin grin grin

Same of the same, make him dey deceive una go, make una dey follow up go anyhow.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 10:31am On Feb 14, 2011
Universities from NUC =103

http://www.nuc.edu.ng/pages/universities.asp?ty=1&order=inst_name

Thought we were talking about universities not seminaries/bible schools

Also read
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=28797

Reread my points
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 10:53am On Feb 14, 2011
kcjazz:

Universities from NUC =103

http://www.nuc.edu.ng/pages/universities.asp?ty=1&order=inst_name

Thought we were talking about universities not seminaries/bible schools

Also read
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=28797

Reread my points

First, you said we have 50 universities, that was debunked, then you came with another notion that we have less than 100, then you debunked a claim again with this 103 list after i told you to go back and do your research.

Bro, stop making up numbers, read and do research first before coming to the public to goof.

You said USA has more than 4,000 universities and colleges, but you didn't include colleges of education, polytechnics, technical schools in your own Nigerian list, you see how you try to paint a wrong picture of the scenario?

Is University the one higher education one can go in Nigeria? everyone can't go to the university, that's why we have the polys, technical schools, college of education and other higher institutions.

So forget the story you're typing, our problem is not more universities, our problem is standardizing the available ones.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 12:10pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^^ Bros you don too try trying to make these people see reason with you may be you should just leave them alone with what they think is right. As its obvious some people on this forum will rather see and have University graduates that can't spell University ( as I witnessed in my NYSC camp years back) than see 95% passmark in O'level examinations.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 4:23pm On Feb 14, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

^^^^^ Bros you don too try trying to make these people see reason with you may be you should just leave them alone with what they think is right. As its obvious some people on this forum will rather see and have University graduates that can't spell University ( as I witnessed in my NYSC camp years back) than see 95% passmark in O'level examinations.

Are you serious?

From which University?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 6:06pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^ A lady from Enugu State University of Tech.( ESUT). During my first day @ the NYSC camp in Mallam Sidi, Gombe State. She was directly in front of me on the queue and when it got to her turn to put down her details on the form/register she wrote the name of her school as simply ESUT of course the NYSC official reminded her that the name of the school should be written as it is and not some abbreviations as was the practice and she went her ahead and successfully wrote Enugu State Univ, and got stuck right there only for the official to tell her to complete it as she was wasting time, at that point she added the letter 'a' and she was told by the official again that it wasn't correct, there and then my sister just gave up and decided to fight back saying even with the little she had written that anybody can see that she was referring to University and right now she was too tired from the long bus ride from the east to waste her time in completing the word. The official sensing that she was stuck then insisted that if she doesn't complete it she can't move on to the next stage of registration. At that point she turned around to me to help her with the spelling of the word ( University) once again sighting fatigue as the reason she can't fully remember how to spell it.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Pharoh: 6:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^

Man i am seriously laughing here but i don't know if i should really be crying lol , i have heard of one that could not spell graduate. But to be fair the percentage of these kind of students are not that much but it is definitely terrible. The excuse is out of this world and very silly of her, the system should be able to detect such students and fish them out before they even go that far up to the NYSC camp.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

All you need do is to come see what goes on with our graduates, most of them can't defend what they went to school to study for 4 years.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 17, 2011
[Quote from: Okwyjesus on February 10, 2011, 10:14 PM]

Am happy for one man VEN OSITADIMMA CHINEDU NEBO. This man transformed UNN. Why not EBONYI where his work will be appreciated the more,

Ebonyi or Bayelsa but why Ekiti 
Before you know it, they'll start fighting him with juju as if na him make himself VP.

GEJ just want kill the man for nothing. 

[/quote]

[quote author]

You've got it completely wrong about Ekiti. We are peace loving people but we have low tolerance for cheating. Most of the issues that made you people to start seeing Ekiti in a bad light started when Obasanjo/pdp want to take over our state and do it the way they like.
If it is true that the man form UNN is good then be assured that Ekiti's will embrace him. The only problem I think he may have is in recruitment, he may make recruitment to favour his people from South East and of course Ekiti's will resist this.
[quote]

For you guys in Ekiti beware of Prof Nebo. He is a great localizing agent, At UNN his major work was fighting people who are not from his state and massive employment of people from his state, to the extent that when he left the salary burden on the university was way beyond the resource allocation from the federal govt. His successor had to attempt a school fees increase which led to a crisis. Am surprised that the minister says they do not want localization. I wonder if this is what GEj regards as quality.  The man's idea of infrastructural development is more like proliferation of chicken coups and painting every single thing green and white. Just visit UNN and you will marvel at how much they love green and white!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by effopsgraisse(m): 6:26am On Nov 28, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abakaliki, A Land Of Untapped Treasures / Northern Governors Support State Of Emergency Rule In 3 States / Nigeria Owes NNPC N170b In Subsidy Payments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.