Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,705 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities (8186 Views)

The First Vice Chancellors Of UNILAG And Uni Of Ibadan Were Igbos / Vice Chancellors To Buhari, 'single Account Will Disrupt University System' / Jonathanians, Can We See The Pictures Of The So-called 9 Brand New Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by juman(m): 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2011
Good step
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

I suppose you are setting me up for a backlash , like u can only criticise yet you can't find solution. The truth remains am not in position to give a step by step solution on this stuff cos its completely off my line and radar, but I also believe that GEJ has Special Advisers on such issues that should be a able to give a feasible solution of course if they are not the beauty queen type. Its all about developing a blue print that fits the future and following it rigously

And even if I can  give such feasible solution would I waste my time discussing it on nairaland ? with who? or to show say I sabi and win argument. C'mon don't lets kid ourselves new universities with the conditions of the existing ones are uncalled for.
I like the part in bold.I guess we'l have sanity on this thread now.lol
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 6:40pm On Feb 11, 2011
<Deleted>
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 6:46pm On Feb 11, 2011
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 8:10pm On Feb 11, 2011
^^^^Hmmm is that you ? ( jst checked your profile). Really cute!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Odunnu: 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2011
Thnx
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 8:26pm On Feb 11, 2011
still @UNN?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 9:37pm On Feb 11, 2011
^^^^

Why do you want to know?

Leave are alone, she is too young for you, haba

Go meet your age-mates

Odunnu is for people like me!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by olaolabiy: 9:40pm On Feb 11, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

Why do you want to know?

Leave are alone, she is too young for you, haba

Go meet your age-mates

Odunnu is for people like me!

This Stranger go kill me on this forum grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Omooba77: 10:46pm On Feb 11, 2011
Please let us look at it from different angle, 9 universities mean more students will gain entry to universities, it will reduce illiteracy level. Also it means more employement for the lecturers, librarians, even cleaners and by this improve the living conditions of this people. It may be out of desperations, but God is using it to change the face of the nation. Let us see positive things coming out of GEJ, he is trying is best. God help him!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 11:43pm On Feb 11, 2011
Omooba77:

Please let us look at it from different angle, 9 universities mean more students will gain entry to universities, [b]it will reduce illiteracy level. [/b]Also it means more employement for the lecturers, librarians, even cleaners and by this improve the living conditions of this people. It may be out of desperations, but God is using it to change the face of the nation. Let us see positive things coming out of GEJ, he is trying is best. God help him!

How?

The last time i checked, you have to be literate to take JAMB

Has that changed? Do they now allow agberos to take JAMB?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 1:14am On Feb 12, 2011
Setting up more universities when we are witnessing MASS FAILURE BOTH IN WAEC AND NECO, hehehehe, who are the new universities meant for? dullards like GEJ and HIS VILLAGE wife grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ENZOSCIFO1: 10:14am On Feb 12, 2011
^^^^ Thanks bro.

Consider this analogy, A man wakes up one day and realises he has 36 wives and with over 70% of them with children ( government universities) that he has fathered and about another set of children say 5% which he didn't fathered ( private universities) but he accomodated them all. Now it so happens that the legitimate children are all suffering from one form of disease or the other ( in this case lets just say Kwashiokor since they are highly mal-nourished) and sooner than later he knows they will start dropping dead if he does nothing. And guess what the man did? he decided that he will rather listen to the yearn of the other 30% wives (states without universities) and get them to have their own children too so it will be balanced and watch them join the existing line of improvisment. The irony of it all is that the so called 5% bastard children are feeding fat and well taken care of coutesy of their biological fathers, but our centre piece Man can't be bothered cos what matters to him is to just litter the society with his Kwashiokor ridden children. Eventually has you very well know the out come some of the diseased ridden kids will die and some will survive of course will different kinds of deformity and other scars of the diseases they had to cope with over the years and eventually go on to start their family where the pivotal lessons ofgood family hood was not well or properly imbibed resulting into the kind of society you can imagine.

And I hear some people say 'congrats' to this lame and dumb man cos he was able have more children than anyone in the community.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 10:29am On Feb 12, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

^^^^ Thanks bro.

[b]Consider this analogy, A man wakes up one day and realises he has 36 wives and with over 70% of them with children ( government universities) that he has fathered and about another set of children say 5% which he didn't fathered ( private universities) but he accomodated them all. Now it so happens that the legitimate children are all suffering from one form of disease or the other ( in this case lets just say Kwashiokor since they are highly mal-nourished) and sooner than later he knows they will start dropping dead if he does nothing. And guess what the man did? he decided that he will rather listen to the yearn of the other 30% wives (states without universities) and get them to have their own children too so it will be balanced and watch them join the existing line of improvisment. The irony of it all is that the so called 5% naughty person children are feeding fat and well taken care of coutesy of their biological fathers, but our centre piece Man can't be bothered cos what matters to him is to just litter the society with his Kwashiokor ridden children. Eventually has you very well know the out come some of the diseased ridden kids will die and some will survive of course will different kinds of deformity and other scars of the diseases they had to cope with over the years and eventually go on to start their family where the pivotal lessons ofgood family hood was not well or properly imbibed resulting into the kind of society you can imagine.[/b]

And I hear some people say 'congrats' to this lame and dumb man cos he was able have more children than anyone in the community.

Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Pharoh: 1:31pm On Feb 12, 2011
ENZO SCIFO:

First of all I need to state that am a Niger Deltan ( Delta State precisely) b4 some one will eat me raw. The point am trying to make is  I don't understant this congratultory messages of welldone and so on for a dumb decision. Why start more Universities at this stage when the existing ones are practically dead. A reasonable % of our fresh graduates are not even compute savvy ( if you doubt ask Jega and INEC) the nigerian degree is not worth a dime outside this country (except ofcourse for admission processes in otherparts ofthe world). And for those who think it is something special for their state to  have a federal university, I salute your absurd mind or reasoning! Good Morning.

Brother it is not a dumb decision judging from the situation at hand, this is not a matter of dumb move or not. This is what i have been trying to say from the beginning, the foundation is already broken so there is no way we can do things the way it is obtainable in the west. It is in this same country that people are shouting for equal number of states in all geopolitical zone so that there could be balance. Education is now part of the politics in this country so first and foremost that aspect is needed to be satisfied before we move to the other stages. I am not in total support of the move but we just have to tell it the way we see it.

Having a university in your state is what every tom dick and harry can ask for now since the university will obviously be funded by the federal government with oil money. I bet you people will not be clamoring for universities if they are the one to foot the bill, if you like draw blue print or not it will still be that same old story. Since 1999 to date we have not fixed our power issues because the problem is definitely more than drawing a blue print. The former education minister ran into hot waters when she tried to carry out some reforms, man this country is too complex so first and foremost satisfy the people before carrying out reforms. Some people believe they deserve a university in their state, create the balance and then move on to the reformation stage after that simple.

One question . . do we need more states in this country right now ? because people are asking for it to tell you the kind of country we live in.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by sley4life(m): 3:55pm On Feb 12, 2011
very good. He deserves our vote
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by jaiykem: 5:55pm On Feb 12, 2011
V.C of university without student in it. what a bad timing for this political vc
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 6:12pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^^^

Na wa o -

Must we not think b4 we comment?

Appoints doesn't mean they have commenced work.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Akainzo(m): 11:03pm On Feb 12, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

^^^^

Na wa o -

Must we not think b4 we comment?

Appoints doesn't mean they have commenced work.

That question is very much apt for your own comment!

If you were a CEO of a company, would you give a letter of appointment to someone without a resumption date!
Ok, at least we can both agree that there are actually no universities existing as of now for these new VCs. I hope we can both agree also that it would take months (or years) before the infrastructure is put in place, the what is the purpose of announcing their appointments without them commencing work as you're so calamitously claiming?

Oh, they were appointed to oversee the design of these universities grin shocked grin
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 11:25pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^^^
I don hear u.

whizz kid.

Na you get the brain - we na mumu.

end of discussion, abeg.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 11:49pm On Feb 12, 2011
Akainzo:

If you were a CEO of a company, would you give a letter of appointment to someone without a resumption date!
Ok, at least we can both agree that there are actually no universities existing as of now for these new VCs. I hope we can both agree also that it would take months (or years) before the infrastructure is put in place, the what is the purpose of announcing their appointments without them commencing work as you're so calamitously claiming?

Oh, they were appointed to oversee the design of these universities grin shocked grin

Thank you jare, but then foools no go see am this way, dem too dey blinded to see pass their noses
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 12:09am On Feb 13, 2011
Akainzo:

So you would prefer the VP appointed the same day the building is completed? Or resume the same day the students come in? Is the running of a university all about buildings, who appoints the lecturers or sets up the day to day admin running of the school? Plus there is nothing bad if he is part of the design of the school. Not a GEJ fan but he got this one right. Funny peeps!
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by MaJBlige(f): 12:41am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^

Dont mind the whiz kids.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 12:50am On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

So you would prefer the VP appointed the same day the building is completed? Or resume the same day the students come in? Is the running of a university all about buildings, who appoints the lecturers or sets up the day to day admin running of the school? Plus there is nothing bad if he is part of the design of the school. Not a GEJ fan but he got this one right. Funny peeps!

Jeez, he got nada right, why would a president who's about to face an election be rushing things? who told him he's going to remain in office come may 29th? why is he rushing everything now and not 5 months ago?

Within a week after he announced the 9 new glorified secondly schools, he's already appointed VCs lol, now tell me, what about the rest sicks universities we have? Imagine we only have 5 universities in the 1st 100 in Africa and none is in the first 20, nor 30 self.

We have how many universities in Nigeria? yet none is in the first 20, Instead of him to work on these universities, give them more reasons to be seen as a university, rather than a glorified secondly school, he's all about adding more sick schools to the already sick ones.

Rubbish and clueless man.

I hope you heard the level of mass failure that was recorded in the last WAEC AND NECO all over Nigeria? who are the students going to be appointed into these "proposed" glorified universities? more than 80% couldn't even pass 5 subjects including English and mathematics.

Misplaced priority.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 1:35am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^It is easy and good to critic, and no blames especially for a govt like Nigeria but leave sentiments and look at the numbers
I posted this earlier+others

By 2015, people under 20 years-old will account for 52% of the population in Nigeria, depending on the census data you have that is about 60 million young folks. We need to absorb them. The existing universities + private cannot handle a third of that number. Where do you want them to go to?

Issue of quality vs quantity is not just about a money problem, it is an instituional problem. And we need to fix that. Again not a GEJ fan but this is a good planning if implemented.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by Pharoh: 1:47am On Feb 13, 2011
Akainzo:

The CEO of an existing company is different from that of a start up company so your analogy does not fall in line. So if you as a person decides to run a primary or secondary school business. You will just go ahead, build the school and then start looking for teachers and workers right? Everything is planning and it is right to appoint the VC so he can contribute to the establishment and future running of the school from now on. The other staffs, linkages and connections to the industry and education sector has to be made. Curriculum has to be developed for these new schools. So what is wrong there in appointing them to start working on the overall project of these new schools so there can be a smooth take off at the right time.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 1:49am On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

^^^^It is easy and good to critic, and no blames especially for a govt like Nigeria but leave sentiments and look at the numbers

By 2015, people under 20 years-old will account for 52% of the population in Nigeria, depending on the census data you have that is about 60 million young folks. We need to absorb them. The existing universities + private cannot handle a third of that number. Where do you want them to go to?

Issue of quality vs quantity is not just about a money problem, it is an instituional problem. And we need to fix that. Again not a GEJ fan but this is a good planning if implemented.

And By 2015, Nigeria's popullation would have regressed from its present 140 milla to 120 milla?

Bravo! Bravo!! Bravo!!!

Very intelligent
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by 10cirenoh: 2:18am On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

[b]By 2015, people under 20 years-old will account for 52% of the population in Nigeria
, depending on the census data you have that is about 60 million young folks. We need to absorb them. The existing universities + private cannot handle a third of that number. Where do you want them to go to?[/b]

Where did you get the bolded statistic from?

And isn't the quality suppose to be the issue and not the quality? why would i waste my time and money on inferior goods when i can spend just a bit and get the quality ones?

Why should mediocrity and under-education be allowed in Nigeria? He's a Lecturer (thats what we hear), he should know the institutional problem, why is he not facing that? why is he not working on bringing the existing universities up to standard first before thinking of adding more glorified secondary schools?

Can you beat your chest boldly and confidently that the graduates who have now can compete with the ones who had in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s?

He among these young ones (graduate) can be boast of knowing 100% what he went to school to learn? how many of them are really qualified to be called a graduate? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 2:21am On Feb 13, 2011
Pharoh:

The CEO of an existing company is different from that of a start up company so your analogy does not fall in line. So if you as a person decides to run a primary or secondary school business. You will just go ahead, build the school and then start looking for teachers and workers right? Everything is planning and it is right to appoint the VC so he can contribute to the establishment and future running of the school from now on. The other staffs, linkages and connections to the industry and education sector has to be made. Curriculum has to be developed for these new schools. So what is wrong there in appointing them to start working on the overall project of these new schools so there can be a smooth take off at the right time.

The truth is that for the sake of arguments, you will always have good reasons to support the creation of those universities and appointments but what makes a good manager is the ability to effectively UTILISE SCARCE ECONOMIC RESOURCES. The journey to hell begins with good intention. Of all the myriads of problems in Nigeria of today, establishment of new universities is the least of our problems. You can give hundred reasons why it is good, but put on the scale of preference, this is just a show of a leader without proper planning.

I hear someone say we have youths who our present institutions cannot absorb, so what? Do we have enough qualified students for university education with over 80% failure in SSCE and NECO exam? The truth is that, we Nigerians need to change our mentality. Not every youth must go to university. That might sound rather selfish but the plain truth. You need not be a university graduate to be literate or become somebody in life. Check records in the west. How many of the citizens are graduates. Most jobs being competed for by our graduates here are simple A level school jobs abroad eg, cashiering and tellering in banks, call centre supports staff in telecoms, banks, and many organisations, marketing works in bank is just the same level like a financial advisor in the UK which CeFA qualification is just enough yet our 1st class and 2.1 graduates are running around to pick these jobs here.

University education is expensive everywhere and you need not go to one to become somebody in life. Before now, in Nigeria of old, secondary school leavers take supervisory works in coys like costains, nigeria airways, banking, etc and many further their education while on the job to degree level and others professional qualification. Good examples are former MD of First Bank, Bernaid Longe who engineered the current transformation process in first bank today yet did not step across any university, Erastus Akingbola left secondary school to join banking and did ACIB and after many years of banking experience, was admitted directly for MBA in Unilag as matured candidates. Many of the recent graduates cannot match the knowledge and aptitude of these guys when it comes to skills and management.

The truth is irrespective of any good reason GEJ has done this, it is purely a misplaced priority and will not yield any meaningful result unless the structural foundation is reconstructed. Or how do we explain an Engineer that is bent on completing a building with structural default in the foundation?

Guys wise up and drop this argument. GEJ released funds for those schools to curry election favours. That has been PDP's pattern since 2003. Check records and come back to me if I lied on this. Dont be in a hurry to discard. Check the records first. PDP has nothing to offer this nation and will not LEARN UNLESS THEY LOOSE. PERIOD.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by kcjazz(m): 2:43am On Feb 13, 2011
10cirenoh:

Where did you get the bolded statistic from?

And isn't the quality suppose to be the issue and not the quality? why would i waste my time and money on inferior goods when i can spend just a bit and get the quality ones?

Why should mediocrity and under-education be allowed in Nigeria? He's a Lecturer (thats what we hear), he should know the institutional problem, why is he not facing that? why is he not working on bringing the existing universities up to standard first before thinking of adding more glorified secondary schools?

Can you beat your chest boldly and confidently that the graduates who have now can compete with the ones who had in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s?

He among these young ones (graduate) can be boast of knowing 100% what he went to school to learn? how many of them are really qualified to be called a graduate? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Source of data: Euromonitor. (no links cos it is paid for)

Again there are about less or about 50 universities in this country of 100 million people. Simply inadequate. The USA has about 4000 universities/colleges, not all are at the same level. So what we can do is to create a grading system for our schools to make them more effective. I undersatnd quality vs quantity problem but we have to build more. Not everyone is meant for college but every state deserves a university, it is the least we can do. So far Private universities have not shown the encouraging signs that they can do better hence OAU, Kwara are still at the top.

There are too many problems with our educational system and you can create a seperate thread for that but this plan is for the better. Not every one needs college but the ones that want to, must be provided that opportunity.
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by ayubam: 2:47am On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

Again there are about less or about 50 universities in this country of 100 million people. Simply inadequate. The USA has about 4000 universities/colleges, not all are at the same level. So what we can do is to create a grading system for our schools to make them more effective. I undersatnd quality vs quantity problem but we have to build more. Not everyone is meant for college but every state deserves a university, it is the least we can do. So far Private universities have not shown the encouraging signs that they can do better hence OAU, Kwara are still at the top.

There are too many problems with our educational system and you can create a seperate thread for that but this plan is for the better. Not every one needs college but the ones that want to, must be provided that opportunity.

I think the problem is dat we love deceit in this country. How does this creation fits into the 7-point agenda of the PDP or did that die with Yaradua. Remember, this is the manifesto of PDP and not Yaradua. How did this creation fits into that 7-point Agenda?
Re: Jonathan Appionts Vice Chancellors For New Universities by fstranger3(m): 2:48am On Feb 13, 2011
kcjazz:

A[b]gain there are about less or about 50 universities in this country of 100 million people[/b]. Simply inadequate. The USA has about 4000 universities/colleges, not all are at the same level. So what we can do is to create a grading system for our schools to make them more effective. I undersatnd quality vs quantity problem but we have to build more. Not everyone is meant for college but every state deserves a university, it is the least we can do. So far Private universities have not shown the encouraging signs that they can do better hence OAU, Kwara are still at the top.

Another lie.  Are you by any way, Kobojunkie's husband?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is Jonathan Receiving More Insults Than Yar'adua And Obasanjo Combined Together? / Nigeria's External Reserves Drop By $1bn In 13 Days / Moment Governor Wike Ignored Rain To Rescue An Ogoni Daughter - A Rare Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.