Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,219 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue (14367 Views)

Soldiers, Militants Clash Claims Three In Delta - PUNCH / Ombaste/fulani Clash: Alakio Village Under Attack / 20 Killed In Renewed TIV/Fulani Clash In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by udezue(m): 12:12am On Feb 13, 2011
eku_bear:

That is just not how warfare works, man. Check the income of those ND states. Bayelsa for example earned sh1tloads of money. Absolutely none of it was spent on the ground. Instead it was carted off overseas and/or spent it on arming the militants.

The Ijaw man probably has the 2nd best military force in Nigeria right now, after the Northerners. Warfare is not about which group has the largest number. That Igbo outnumber the Ijaw does not mean they cannot make you their slaves, if it ever comes down to warfare.

If things were just about #s, then Israel wouldn't be the dominant military force in the middle east, Rwanda wouldn't be dominating its neighbors, the white SAs wouldn't have dominated the black SAs, etc, Pizarro wouldn't have conquered the entire Inca empire with 200 men, the Mongols wouldn't have conquered China and most of Asia  undecided

2+ million barrels a day of oil, $200 million in street value per day. No force in Nigeria can defeat them militarily if they are able to use this resource fully to prosecute a war. Not even Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa combined. With that much money, 1 million people can defeat and enslave 100 million.

EDIT: typos

YOU ARE SO RIGHT
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 12:18am On Feb 13, 2011
udezue:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT

He definitely has a point my brother. We Igbos definitely need to be careful when meeting the Ijaws. They are battle tested. Young Igbo today have not known war, but young Ijaws have. I feel that we need a more militant Igbo organization that will protect Igbo interest not only in Nigeria, but around the world.

Maybe we should learn from our brothers down in South Africa. Even though a good amount of them have been doing some nefarious acts, the one thing that can be said about them is that they do not take nonsense. Remember the stories we would hear our they met those xenophobic mobs were targeting non-South Africans but our brother met them in battle with AK-47s.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 12:18am On Feb 13, 2011
Posted by: eku_bear

That is just not how warfare works, man. Check the income of those ND states. Bayelsa for example earned sh1tloads of money. Absolutely none of it was spent on the ground. Instead it was carted off overseas and/or spent it on arming the militants.

The Ijaw man probably has the 2nd best military force in Nigeria right now, after the Northerners. Warfare is not about which group has the largest number. That Igbo outnumber the Ijaw does not mean they cannot make you their slaves, if it ever comes down to warfare.

If things were just about #s, then Israel wouldn't be the dominant military force in the middle east, Rwanda wouldn't be dominating its neighbors, the white SAs wouldn't have dominated the black SAs, etc, Pizarro wouldn't have conquered the entire Inca empire with 200 men, the Mongols wouldn't have conquered China and most of Asia  Undecided

2+ million barrels a day of oil, $200 million in street value per day. No force in Nigeria can defeat them militarily if they are able to use this resource fully to prosecute a war. Not even Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa combined. With that much money, 1 million people can defeat and enslave 100 million.

I wish to quickly clarify that the guy who made the claim meant during the slave trade era when Aro slave merchants were selling captured slaves to Ijaw middlemen. That is settled now.

About getting armed today, ol'boy, do you think only Ijaw can access HUGE sums of money for arms?
YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!

Do you know that Igbos are the largest Nigerian diaspora, and remit about 5 - 10 BILLION dollars to Nigeria YEARLY?

Do you know that there are MANY rich Igbo men involved in arms trade?
Do you know that Igbo traders actually arm MEND?

Ol'boy, you don't know the Igbo man at all.

If Ijaw picks a fight with us, even that Oil in his land will not be sold for arms, because we will ensure they never accessed it.
How can they stop MILLIONS of Igbo diaspora?

This your statement proves my point (and yours), that being peaceful leads ants to think they are lions over you. I swear.

LOL.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:19am On Feb 13, 2011
EzeUche_:

This is not new to the world. People respect strength.

One nation that I have respect for is Germany. Let me be clear, I do not support none of the heinous actions that they have done in the past. I am actually appalled, especially with the genocide committed against the Herero people. But, I do respect the Germans in how they were able to fight most of the world not only in one World War, but TWO World Wars.

If you look at the history of both world wars, Germany did not get much help from any its allies, except in WWII, in which the Japanese were able to distract the allies in Pacific. However, the German war machine has always amazed me. The martial prowess of the Germans cannot be understated.

Not going to lie, Germans are my favorite group of white people. Complete badasses.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 12:25am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Chyz

I am a Christian - a JUDEO-CHRISTIAN; i.e, the type Americans practice. If you want to be secure and live in peace, you must be better armed than your enemies. Simple.

Humans are animals with pretenses of decorum.
Remove the facade, and all you are left with is an ordinary animal. So, how can you expect an animal to understand that you are being peaceful because of God? He can't understand that. EVER.

So, be armed and be prepared to fight to death ALWAYS, else, humans would turn you into a subhuman.

So, there is no need to attack the whole Christian religion because some animals are running around killing women and children and demanding respect in return. All you need is make sure they never escaped. That's all.

Onlytruth, my brother, I am sorry for offending you. The point I was trying to make is that, and I can't be denied, is that christianity has weakened us. Instead of the aggressive war-like nature of our ancestors displayed when attacked all we do is find prayer as the answer to solve everything. This has caused us many lives. Did you see what happened in the area in Imo when they were attacked? They went on a prayer and fasting crusade for three days.smh. This is ridiculous.Whats going to stop them from doing it again if chance is given? Turning the cheek nonsense, gets you nowhere. You must attack and them secure ur grounds.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 12:25am On Feb 13, 2011
eku_bear:

Not going to lie, Germans are my favorite group of white people. Complete badasses.

Just listen to the way they talk, it is such a harsh language to hear. Such strong language, even when they trying to say pleasant things. They always sound angry. The Germanic people are something else, and remember they are the ones who brought down the Roman Empire.

Martial Groups that I respect:

Germanic people
Nordic people
Tuareg
Mongols
Japanese
Punjabis
Rajputs
Zulus
Aztecs (formerly)

If I could classify the most warlike people in Nigeria, it is not the Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba, it is the Ijaws. Throughout their entire history, these people have always looked to war to solve things. Their belief in Egbesu has made these people hard to tame I must say. Ijaw expansionism is REAL. Just ask the Itsekiri.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 12:28am On Feb 13, 2011

And this is the most ridiculous statement you've ever made on nairaland!  shocked shocked
So if that is true, why did MEND accept amnesty and disarm?
Ol'boy if they are that strong, they would NEVER have accepted anything.
I will say this again, MEND is only "powerful" because aboki is concerned about Igbo involvement. If aboki is assured now that Igbo won't get involved, MEND will cease to exist OVERNIGHT.  cool

I keep saying aboki because they are the ones more eager to stop secession of groups with oil.
Igbo man is only interested if you threaten our lives. If they try it, we would not only defeat them, but ensure they are sent packing from our backyard.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:29am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

I wish to quickly clarify that the guy who made the claim meant during the slave trade era when Aro slave merchants were selling captured slaves to Ijaw middlemen. That is settled now.

About getting armed today, ol'boy, do you think only Ijaw can access HUGE sums of money for arms?
YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!

Do you know that Igbos are the largest Nigerian diaspora, and remit about 5 - 10 BILLION dollars to Nigeria YEARLY?
200 million per day, or 10 billion yearly? The math ain't hard to do  undecided Not to mention that they have their own diaspora as well. Then when you do per capita adjustments, what-fraction-can-be-spent-on-war adjustments, etc, the financial advantage on their side becomes even more lopsided.

Do you know that there are MANY rich Igbo men involved in arms trade?
Do you know that Igbo traders actually arm MEND?

Ol'boy, you don't know the Igbo man at all.
Being the middle-man is nice, but they can obviously always find other middle men. Isn't like weaponry is a scarcity on this planet.

If Ijaw picks a fight with us, even that Oil in his land will not be sold for arms, because we will ensure they never accessed it.
How can they stop MILLIONS of Igbo diaspora?

This your statement proves my point (and yours), that being peaceful leads ants to think they are lions over you. I swear.

LOL.
Again, I'm not at all impressed by #s. The progression of time and history has made #s less important in warfare.

Anyway, it is what it is. I've said my piece. That is my analysis of the situation. You are welcome to have your own.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 12:32am On Feb 13, 2011
Ijaws have nothing to lose though, because just look at the environmental degradation that has been occurring since Oloibiri in 1956. Their region in Nigeria looks like hell on Earth thanks to Shell and a corrupt Nigerian government.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 12:34am On Feb 13, 2011

[b]Again, I'm not at all impressed by #s. [/b]The progression of time and history has made #s less important in warfare.

Anyway, it is what it is. I've said my piece. That is my analysis of the situation. You are welcome to have your own.

You better be because when EVERYBODY is EQUALLY ARMED then numbers can help.
Also, I hope you don't believe that they are better military strategists than Igbo (please speak for your Yoruba people).
And they are BY NO MEANS more militant than Igbo.

Our own is just don't provoke us and give us a reason to fight. We are militant and highly resourceful.  cool
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:37am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

And this is the most ridiculous statement you've ever made on nairaland!  shocked shocked
So if that is true, why did MEND accept amnesty and disarm?

Ol'boy if they are that strong, they would NEVER have accepted anything.
Haha. So the amnesty they accepted is a sign to you of their weakness, not their strength?  grin Which other militant groups in Nigerian history have EVER forced an amnesty on the Nigerian FG, one which involved large amounts of cash being transferred from the FG to the militants?  grin

Back in the days of my ancestors, we would call that tribute grin

Why not accept an "amnesty" where the gov't dines you, pays you enormous amounts of cash for weapons you bought, provides you jobs, income, etc?

I will say this again, MEND is only "powerful" because aboki is concerned about Igbo involvement. If aboki is assured now that Igbo won't get involved, MEND will cease to exist OVERNIGHT.  cool
So sure, it makes sense that they'd be afraid of more allies for the militants. By this statement of yours is extremely strong. How exactly are the Igbo what is preventing MEND from being eliminated?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:42am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

You better be because when EVERYBODY is EQUALLY ARMED then numbers can help.
Also, I hope you don't believe that they are better military strategists than Igbo (please speak for your Yoruba people).
And they are BY NO MEANS more militant than Igbo.

Our own is just don't provoke us and give us a reason to fight. We are militant and highly resourceful.  cool

Are you trying to convince me about the value of your #s, or someone else? I think I've made it pretty clear I'm not impressed. We can agree to disagree.

Regarding your second point, every group has talented individuals in it, so it seems unlikely that there will be a tremendous gap as far as leadership goes. Logistics, cash are likely to be the larger determining factor.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:46am On Feb 13, 2011
@EzeUche_: Hrm, I don't know much about Rajputs and Punjabis. Or much about Tuareg either. I'll look 'em up.

And yeah, I feel pretty bad about the Itsekiri situation undecided
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 12:48am On Feb 13, 2011

So sure, it makes sense that they'd be afraid of more allies for the militants. By this statement of yours is extremely strong. How exactly are the Igbo what is preventing MEND from being eliminated?

This your bolded statement tells me that you really don't know Nigeria. I'm disappointed I must say. sad shocked sad

Look, when you want to assess a military challenge, you start with calculation of possible alignment of forces, real and potential. The truth is that Igbo are not happy in Nigeria, and may want out. The Ijaw are also not happy and may want out too. So, can't you see a common goal? Ijaw did not support the Igbo in Biafra and they remember that. They are also not sure of Igbo role.

If two groups that are neighbors share common goal, what do you think would happen if either is pushed too hard?
The prospect of Igbo joining MEND in large numbers is real, and that is what aboki is calculating.

You have to believe that if Igbo is happy in Nigeria, THERE WOULD BE NO MEND. Simple.

That is why the north seriously considered an Igbo president of Nigeria.
MEND pretty much knows this fact. That is part why they accepted amnesty without getting what they were fighting for.

You sound as if they won. hahaha. They didn't win anything. Status quo remains.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ezeagu(m): 12:58am On Feb 13, 2011
The Ijaw are not going to war against the Igbo so everyone should just shut up.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 1:02am On Feb 13, 2011
Hrm, maybe I don't understand Nigeria.

As things stand, MEND is basically a group that has demonstrated the ability to
[list]
(A) dramatically increase the costs of extracting oil from the ND and
(B) reduce Nigeria's production of oil.
[/list]

Note that this ability is independent of Igbo support; whether Igbo support them or not, they can do this.

So your hypothesis is that
[list]
[*] with Igbo support, MEND can also (C) upgrade from instead a terrorist group to a force that can legitimately challenge Nigeria's territorial integrity?
[*] if Igbo were happy in Nigeria, (A) and (B) would be impossible for MEND to do, and thus MEND becomes irrelevant?
[*] the North considered Igbo presidency to pacify Igbo, and thus cause MEND to become irrelevant?
[/list]

Just trying to understand your hypotheses first, before I consider how plausible they are.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 1:05am On Feb 13, 2011
Posted by: ezeagu

The Ijaw are not going to war against the Igbo so everyone should just shut up.

Of course they won't, unless they are fools. One of them made a st00pid statement in another thread and I cited that as an example of how an armed ant can suddenly assume that he can "deal with" a self-avowed pacific lion. The lion can simply disavow his non-violence, and what you get is an armed ant and an armed lion.

That is why we are having this conversation.  cool
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ezeagu(m): 1:07am On Feb 13, 2011
The Ijaw/MEND are not going to war with the Igbo and there are Igbo people supporting MEND. MEND has already reached out to the Igbo people, but were ignored because of obvious reasons.

Onlytruth:

Posted by: ezeagu
Of course they won't, unless they are fools. One of them made a st00pid statement in another thread and I cited that as an example of how an armed ant can suddenly assume that he can "deal with" a self-avowed pacific lion. The lion can simply disavow his non-violence, and what you get is an armed ant and an armed lion.

That is why we are having this conversation.  cool

But there's no need for the conversation, especially when Igbo-Ijaw relations are mending, and when there are no Ijaw provokers here.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by asorocker: 1:09am On Feb 13, 2011
The strongest point of the ijaw militia is not their arsenal but the fact that nigerias existence depends on 98% crude from niger delta, that said it will take nigerian airforce 1 week to subdue the ijaws from air and another 4 weeks for the navy to do the rest.

Please being a military regional power is much more than having petrodollars and buying high grade amunition. There is a lot of intellignece involved too .
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 1:10am On Feb 13, 2011
ezeagu:

But there's no need for the conversation, especially when Igbo-Ijaw relations are mending, and when there are no Ijaw provokers here.

Gbam! This thread is about fulani herdsmen.Lets get back on topic people.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 1:12am On Feb 13, 2011

So your hypothesis is that

* with Igbo support, MEND can also (C) upgrade from instead a terrorist group to a force that can legitimately challenge Nigeria's territorial integrity?
   * if Igbo were happy in Nigeria, (A) and (B) would be impossible for MEND to do, and thus MEND becomes irrelevant?
   * the North considered Igbo presidency to pacify Igbo, and thus cause MEND to become irrelevant?

Just trying to understand your hypotheses first, before I consider how plausible they are.

The MEND problem is what the Igbo would call "a tse tse fly perched on a man's scrotum". cool
If you kill it violently, you can break your balls. If you leave it, it will continue biting you.

To answer your question, Nigeria would have loved to conduct a FULL MILITARY campaign against MEND, and flush them out. Nigeria couldn't do that because of the point I made.
It is one thing to blow up pipelines. It is another thing altogether to face the FULL MIGHT of the Nigerian military.

You can't do that if your closest neighbor who is a big resourceful tribe is not on your side.

Must I be this explicit for you to understand, or are you feigning ignorance for mischievous reasons?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 1:16am On Feb 13, 2011
EzeUche
Conflict between pastoralist and agricultural societies is as old as civilizations itself. This is not only relates to Africa, but for most of the world. The Mongols used to raid the more agrarian societies found in China during the 1400s. The Huns as they entered Europe during 300 CE raided the barbaric agrarian societies in Germania, which forced the people who suffered from the raids to enter Europe.

In Africa, pastoralist have always posed a problem for agrarian societies. The Tutsi/Hutu conflict can be traced to this dimension. Maasai pastoralist would sometimes come into conflict with Kikuyu farmers. Pastoralist have brought down civilizations in order to find grazing land for their animals. One day, these African pastoralist will learn to settle in areas and learn proper herding techniques.

That should put it in perspective for some people.

@EzeUche
I think you've misinterpreted the above history. The Mongols till this day, come from very harsh almost desert environment hence they are not agrarian in nature. During harsh winter or drought seasons they move and desperate people with livestock in search of grazing lands will find it infinitely tempting to invade empty lush fields. There is nothing in their make up that denotes that they are incapable of adapting to new ways of doing things most especially when they discovered large lush fertile lands like the lands of the Indus valley- modern day Pakistan and India etc; They settled down and perhaps learnt new things from the locals which they incorporated into their civilisation building techniques of which they later became famous for. In Europe it was a different story altogether. Their drive west wards was not simply because they are nomads in search of lush green fields, other factors and politics of the times played a part in their quest for conquest. Keep in mind that they had superior techniques in warfare and technology which they acquired during their sojourn and encounters in China, Indus Valley etc before meeting the waring tribes in Europe. Nomadic and pastoralist culture does not engender aggressive behaviour except if you are trying to convince us otherwise. The Tutsi/Hutu crisis had its origin in Belgium colonial impact on the people of Rwanda/Burundi just like the British colonial impact on Kenya was the source of the on going land/pastoral land conflicts which culminated in the recent political mayhem in kenya. There are so much unfinished business in Africa due to the impact of Colonialism, Slavery and Apartheid. The Khoisan of Southern Africa are nomads but they are inherently peaceful unlike their traditionally pastoral Zulus and other ethnic nationalities in that part of Africa.  The various ethnic nationalities in the Sudan are nomadic and pastoral. The problem arises when there are absence of strong effective laws and weak authority. In Ethiopia, there are nomadic/pastoral groups but conflicts do not happen willy nilly because the Ethiopian central government is highly authoritarian/ effective against such trespass by nomads or not. Pls do not justify bad behaviour with spurious history just like the christian invaders tried to justify crude wickedness with the Bible.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by asorocker: 1:17am On Feb 13, 2011
Talking about the fulanis , it is obvious they now have and operate a private army just like the ijaws have their mend and yorubas OPC with their full military regalia and bullet proof vest, The fulanis cannot dare this nonsense in ijaw land.

Their expansionism if not checked will spell doom for the nation.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 1:18am On Feb 13, 2011
Only an Igbo can solve the Niger Deltan problem once and for all. Just give us free rein and we the Niger Delta will be pacified. People need to realize that the Igbo are key to finding true peace in the Niger Delta. Who better than us know the Niger Deltans except for the Niger Deltans themselves. Frankly, I think the oil industry would be better in our hands, because we would definitely kick Shell out of Nigeria and make sure that the Niger Deltans have control of the oil.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 1:18am On Feb 13, 2011
@my Igbo brothers,

I had to clarify this issue because I've run into some Ijaw folks who thought they've enslaved us in the past and can "deal with us" today. Let everybody know his place. That's all. We are neighbors and will continue to be provided no one starts being st00pid.
If we are like the Fulani, I don't think anyone would make such incendiary comment.

I rest it now.  cool
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 1:21am On Feb 13, 2011
asorocker:

Talking about the fulanis , it is obvious they now have and operate a private army just like the ijaws have their mend and yorubas OPC with their full military regalia and bullet proof vest, The fulanis cannot dare this nonsense in ijaw land.

True.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 1:23am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

@my Igbo brothers,

I had to clarify this issue because I've run into some Ijaw folks who thought they've enslaved us in the past and can "deal with us" today. Let everybody know his place. That's all. We are neighbors and will continue to be provided no one starts being st00pid.
If we are like the Fulani, I don't think anyone would make such incendiary comment.

I rest it now.  cool

Wasn't Ibime one of the people who would make there erroneous assumption? Ijaws never enslaved the Igbo. They had to go through Igbo middle men, because powerful Igbo clans controlled the interior. Who else would make a statement like that? It is amazing that SOME Ijaws wold think they are indeed stronger than Igbo. Sometimes I feel the Modern Ijaws are not even worth the hassle. There warlike behavior can be quite irksome at times. They fight against Biafra and now they fight against the Nigerian state. It is like these people cannot make up their mind.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 1:28am On Feb 13, 2011
asorocker

@asorocker
I do not think that they are expansionist except if you wish/desire to be colonised grin.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 1:29am On Feb 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

The MEND problem is what the Igbo would call "a tse tse fly perched on a man's scrotum". cool
If you kill it violently, you can break your balls. If you leave it, it will continue biting you.

To answer your question, Nigeria would have loved to conduct a FULL MILITARY campaign against MEND, and flush them out. Nigeria couldn't do that because of the point I made.
It is one thing to blow up pipelines. It is another thing altogether to face the FULL MIGHT of the Nigerian military.

You can't do that if your closest neighbor who is a big resourceful tribe is not on your side.
Terrorists are hard to flush out w/o resorting to large-scale indiscriminate genocide, simply because they can blend into the community at will. Is the Nigerian FG willing to commit large-scale, indiscriminate genocide? A village here and there, probably. But at the scale necessary to wipe out MEND, even w/o any allies? I don't think they would do it. . . not because of any instrinstic goodness, but just because too many eyes watching.

Does having allies (like the Igbo) make it even harder to smoke out MEND? Yes. But is Igbo support the difference between life and death, as you have suggested? I don't think so. Overall, I think your statements are too strong and overstate the case.

Must I be this explicit for you to understand, or are you feigning ignorance for mischievous reasons?
Lol. Dude. . .there is another option, namely that you aren't correct in your assumptions, that you overstated your case dramatically.

Regarding "feigning ignorance". . . you are free to regard what I say as part of a nefarious Yoruba plot to destroy Igbo/Ijaw unity; that is up to you. However, even if that were my agenda, somehow I doubt whatever I say here online has that much power one way or another.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 1:29am On Feb 13, 2011
This is to clarify things. We were sought for by the Ijaw's for help after yaradua gave the deadline of unleashing the full might of the law on the militants. The deadline I believe was October 4th. When that day did come most militants(MEND) gave up and gave up their arms at "accepted amnesty". If they would have refused they likely would have been destroyed.

[size=15pt]Dokubo's Group Rejects Yar'Adua's Amnesty[/size]

Port Harcourt — The Niger Delta Peoples Salvation Front (NDPSF) headed by Alhaji Mujahid Asari Dokubo yesterday rose from its General Assembly in Golf Palace Hotel, Port Harcourt with a resolution to reject the amnesty offered by President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua.

The NDPSF said that since none of its members has been convicted of any criminal offence, there was no basis for them to accept the amnesty but however, condemned they, criminality in the Niger Delta region for which they said the amnesty was offered.

"There is no basis for accepting the amnesty as no member of the Niger Delta Peoples Salvation Front has been convicted for any criminal offence and therefore do not deserve amnesty," they said.

On his personal note, Asari said that amnesty will not usher in the expected peace since those who took guns for the protection of the region later turned them against the people they were supposed to protect.

"Amnesty will usher in open killings. You know that the people know those who killed their people, raped their women and girls and burnt their houses and in the name of amnesty you come and stay alive to enjoy the stolen loot. Despite the amnesty, there will be killings," he said.

In an apparent reference to the activity of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, which has been blowing up pipelines in the region, the group said they do not believe in destroying pipelines which also impact negatively on the environment, adding that what is destroyed in the environment cannot be repaired.

Asari said that when he rose up in arms against the oil companies in the region, without breaking pipelines, he was able to stop oil export and that no activity that tends towards polluting the environment would be approved by his group.

According to him, "when I travelled abroad each group I met on our predicament condemned the breaking of pipelines as they say that we are as guilty as the oil companies which destroy environments since we spill oil into it."

They insist we can advance our case without destroying the environment. We are strongly against the breaking of oil pipelines which destroy the environment".

The Assembly called for the withdrawal of the Joint Military Task Force from the region in addition to being made to account for the rights abuses they have visited on the people who they alleged were yet to be rehabilitated.

"The NDPSF demands for the immediate withdrawal of soldiers from the Niger Delta region. We also ask for the JTF to account for extra judicial execution of our people and raping of our daughters under the pretext of combating crime and also demand for the rehabilitation of our families and property destroyed. We condemn all criminal activities of some persons in the Niger Delta; such people that commit such offences as murder, kidnapping, arson, rape and such others as cannot consummate our aspiration", they said.

The group said they were stepping up their struggle through capturing political power from where they will push for total control of resources in the State of their control and vowed to get power by hook or crook in the 2011 polls.

Asari said they will adopt a political party which will only serve as a platform to attain power since their organisation; Peoples Salvation Force was refused registration in 2006. He further said they will field an Ikwerre person to wrest power from any party in power though he foreclosed the use of the Peoples Democratic Party for such aspirations.

They particularly condemned electoral bodies which subvert the will of the people by not making the votes of the people count and warned that they will not only resist any such future attempt but rise to fight it.

"We are organizing to take the political power. We have already asked people to start mobilizing at the grassroots in Rivers State. We shall meet in a General Assembly and pick the party to joint to achieve our goal. We shall field our candidates for all positions up for contest. If they want us to have a free and fair election, we will have it but if they want to play pranks with the election, we will play pranks. If they want it in magomago way we will be ready for them and if they want it in a clean way, we will be ready for them", he vowed.

On how to achieve the aim of the Niger Delta people, he canvassed for an alliance with Igbos who he said have the know-how, the population and zeal but not the resources for self determination.

He said he grew up being asked by his mother to hate Igbos but that it was not right since they were their next door neighbours and if one was not in good terms with his neighbours, he finds it difficult to win a war.

"Igbos are not our enemies, we need their number. If Biafra had won the war, we would not have been where we are now. We cannot win the war we are fighting without Igbos so we should reach out to them. We need their support.

"If the Igbos do not come to us, we will go to them, they are our neighbours and the people who put enmity between us and them are the problems that we are suffering from. We should make peace with them", he said.

Yerima Shettima, the Chairman of Arewa Forum in the region said it was wrong to group the North as an entity being against the interest of the South-South region but reminded the forum that the same cabal in power that impoverished the north more than the south was the cause of the problem.

He said there were many people that support the ideals of the region pointing out that he was arrested and detained for supporting the course. He advised the region not to be slack in their ways as the battles may soon be hotter since they were assured of victory in the end.

He condemned the position canvassed by Bala Ibn Na-Allah that the region was less than 20 million and should be done away with for peace to reign; pointing that if the same was said of the north, he would not like it

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907130808.html
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by asorocker: 1:32am On Feb 13, 2011
On the other hand igbos are economically subject not really enslaved  to the ijaws on oil wealth basis.
If the igbos don't fathom a way of remaining economically relevant , that could be the end of igbo race.

On the political turf igbos are not a major player . On the military turf because of some envy reasons of some other tribes , igbos are yet to reassert them selves
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 1:34am On Feb 13, 2011
Posted by: Chyz*

This is to clarify things. We were sought for by the Ijaw's for help after yaradua gave the deadline of unleashing the full might of the law on the militants. The deadline I believe was October 4th. When that day did come most militants(MEND) gave up and gave up their arms at "accepted amnesty". If they would have refused they likely would have been destroyed.

Bros Chyz I'm sorry I snapped earlier. This issue is pretty much simple to understand. I'm now convinced that the guy I was arguing has dubious intentions.
Thanks for the post.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Rochas Okorocha’s Statue Suddenly Turns White As He Leaves Office Amidst Jeers / Zoning Controversy: Why APC Presidential Primary Will Be Open To All Aspirants / FIRS Makes ₦‎10 Trillion In Revenue For The First Time Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.