Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue (14387 Views)

Soldiers, Militants Clash Claims Three In Delta - PUNCH / Ombaste/fulani Clash: Alakio Village Under Attack / 20 Killed In Renewed TIV/Fulani Clash In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 12:19am On Feb 12, 2011
Beaf
The land use act is part of the reason for the nomadic menace from cattle rearers.

@Beaf

Are they (cattle herds men) unable to tell the difference between cultivated farmlands and empty uncultivated looking grasslands etc, Land Use Act or not?  Why are we making excuses for blatant vandalism, trespass and absolute contempt for the local farmers by the Fulani herds men. Their behaviour is not uncommon/unusual either in the so called Middle belt areas / Benue zone.

Do they drive their cattles over farmlands in Katsina, Kano, Niger, Plateau, Borno or even some southern states? They are aware of the consequences, if they trespass/ violate farm lands in the above mentioned places. Why should the 'government' make any special provision for a 'life style'/economic choice? Besides, most of the cattles belong to the rich and some of the northern elite like Dangote and Ribadu etc.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 12:22am On Feb 12, 2011
@sbeezy8: Fulani are not indigenous to any part of Yorubaland, dunno what that dude is talking about. They can make a claim to Guinea, Mali or places like that. Or Sokoto if they like.

In any case, whenever they cause trouble or their cattle eat crops, blood must be shed.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Abagworo(m): 12:40am On Feb 12, 2011
The reason why people clash with Fulanis is as a result of cultural misunderstanding.The Fulani culture believes that God created land and grasses for feeding the cattle hence they have no need to stay permanently at a place.They continue moving from place to place in search of greener pastures for their cattle.To them only God owns land and man has no need to acquire one for himself.Most indigenous Nigerian tribes value land and crops which is a sharp contrast with the Fulani who only value cattle.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 12:44am On Feb 12, 2011
Abagworo:

The reason why people clash with Fulanis is as a result of cultural misunderstanding.The Fulani culture believes that God created land and grasses for feeding the cattle hence they have no need to stay permanently at a place.They continue moving from place to place in search of greener pastures for their cattle.To them only God owns land and man has no need to acquire one for himself.Most indigenous Nigerian tribes value land and crops which is a sharp contrast with the Fulani who only value cattle.

God didn't give others the right to take another persons life because of cattle abi?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by udezue(m): 12:57am On Feb 12, 2011
Abagworo will always come to give em excuses. Aturu
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 1:02am On Feb 12, 2011
The Fulani are one of the most dangerous nomadic African ethnic groups. Second only to the Tuareg. Just look at how they control most of Northern Nigeria. Put this in perspective, they are only a minority in Nigeria, but they hold sway over most of the North and they have produce more Presidents than the Igbo or Yoruba combined.

There is something peculiar about this people. Maybe it is their religious zeal. I don't know, but it would seem they are quick to anger.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 1:07am On Feb 12, 2011
EzeUche_:

The Fulani are one of the most dangerous nomadic African ethnic groups. Second only to the Tuareg. Just look at how they control most of Northern Nigeria. Put this in perspective, they are only a minority in Nigeria, but they hold sway over most of the North and they have produce more Presidents than the Igbo or Yoruba combined.

There is something peculiar about this people. Maybe it is their religious zeal. I don't know, but it would seem they are quick to anger.

They are weak niggaz, if not for the curse of christianity other tribes in nigeria could have wiped them out.We've proved how weak they are during a fear battle already.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 1:10am On Feb 12, 2011
EzeUche
My question for everyone is why are the Nigerian Fulani like this? I have encountered Fulani from Senegal, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Burkina Faso and they do not seem to act like this. A good friend of mine that I met at my university is a Fulani from Sierra Leone says that her people have a peaceful co-existence with the various Mende & Krio people.

Maybe it is the nomadic Fulani who have kept to the old ways, that need to be trained. I hear the urban Fulani are a totally different people in many aspects.

@EzeUche
There's nothing peculiar or wrong with the so called Nigerian Fulani wink.  The only thing peculiar to them in the Nigerian sphere, different from the other places you mentioned above: they arrived Nigeria with the marauding conquering jihadists of Uthman Dan Fodio who conquered/pacified and converted the Hausa states to Islam; hence they became the overlords of the Hausa ever since despite their minority status. In the other places you mentioned above they do not enjoy such perverse overarching influence/power over the rest ethnic groups. They certainly cannot dominate the proud self confident ethnic nationalities of Guinea where they are sizeable in population, Mali, Bukina Faso, Cameroun, Senegal, Niger etc.
Conquest/power confers a psychological advantage and the self assurance of knowing that your kith and kin are in the saddle of Power especially in Nigeria where they've seized the political initiative even beyond the Northern geographical zone where the actual battles for supremacy happened cheesy.

A good number of the so called cattle Fulani are not indigenous but from Niger hence most of them do not recognise, understand/ respect local customs or boundaries. That's not good enough to excuse their bad behaviour in some places. grin
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 1:10am On Feb 12, 2011
Chyz*:

They are weak niggaz, if not for the curse of christianity other tribes in nigeria could have wiped them out.We've proved how weak they are during a fear battle already.

Christianity has pacified us. Our ancestors would not have allowed this abomination to occur on our land. However, the source of Fulani strength is their religious zeal. It is hard to defeat someone who is willing to die in the name of their religion. How do we even counter that?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 1:18am On Feb 12, 2011
EzeUche_:

Christianity has pacified us. Our ancestors would not have allowed this abomination to occur on our land. However, the source of Fulani strength is their religious zeal. It is hard to defeat someone who is willing to die in the name of their religion. How do we even counter that?

The fulanis have always been warriors. Islam just made it worse. We Igbos can counter it with the snap of a finger, due to our war-like tempers and high ambitious personality. Once our mind is set to killing, our concern then is to get the job done completely and well. The thing that is stopping us is that useless false doctrine christianity.Pray while you are being slaughter the 'Nwa chuku n'igwe' will come to our aide. That is bullshit. The reason fulanis continue the way they do is because those weak attitude of folding your arms,praying, and doing nothing fuels them.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 1:32am On Feb 12, 2011
Abagworo
The reason why people clash with Fulanis is as a result of cultural misunderstanding.The Fulani culture believes that God created land and grasses for feeding the cattle hence they have no need to stay permanently at a place.[/b]They continue moving from place to place in search of greener pastures for their cattle.To them only God owns land and man has no need to acquire one for himself.Most indigenous Nigerian tribes value land and crops which is a sharp contrast with the Fulani who only value cattle.

@Abagworo
In short some of them are [b]nomadic
. It's not peculiar or unique to them in Africa or the rest of the world either. The issue is about respect [/b]for other people and why do they [b]pick and choose the places where they misbehave?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by sbeezy8: 1:53am On Feb 12, 2011
eku_bear:

@sbeezy8: Fulani are not indigenous to any part of Yorubaland, dunno what that dude is talking about. They can make a claim to Guinea, Mali or places like that. Or Sokoto if they like.

In any case, whenever they cause trouble or their cattle eat crops, blood must be shed.

i  was thinking the same ting like wtf is "indigenous fulani" but d guy has even adopted "Bakare an egba name" name. Yorubas are to careless when to things like that i guess its d yoruba culture to many nupe edo ijaw egun fulani baruba, igarra,estako have become yorubanized easily.

anyway its his culture that is dying fast few can actually speak fula few actually have fula names nd few actually have fula marks on thier face
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 1:57am On Feb 12, 2011
Chyz*
The fulanis have always been warriors. Islam just made it worse.

@Chyz*

Because they conquered the Hausa and Islamised some Nigerians that makes them 'always warriors' and religion/Islam has made it worse?
In other words the local farmers should cower and surrender their source of livelihood because of the above bolded^^ in your view?
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by sbeezy8: 1:58am On Feb 12, 2011
fulanis werent always warriors they were scholars of islam.

if not for 1966 ibo would have been muslim lik shiot they even were thinking they had hausas names but it was really muslim names they were walking around with.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 2:07am On Feb 12, 2011
eku bear

@eku bear

winkYou sound like an unreformed 'militant' grin grin even a cow or two will not pacify you? wink
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by cheikh: 2:25am On Feb 12, 2011
sbeezy8
fulanis werent always warriors they were scholars of islam.

@sbeezy8
The Fulani incursion, [b]Conquest [/b]and [b]subjugation [/b]of the north and some south western parts of Nigeria and Islam was never peaceful let alone scholarly wink
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ezeagu(m): 2:35am On Feb 12, 2011
Abagworo:

This is absolute rubbish, in fact it's an insult.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by udezue(m): 2:39am On Feb 12, 2011
ezeagu:

This is absolute rubbish, in fact it's an insult.

GBAM
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by asorocker: 2:48am On Feb 12, 2011
The fulanis might never be tamed, who can tame them , when they colonised half of the north upto kwara and Nassarawa.

The problem ibos don't see yet is that if there is war between them and the fulanis , the TIVs , Beroms, Ijaws , yoruba and Kanuris will join the fulanis to finish ibos.

My take is that the fulanis are the most intelligent black race (according to the colonialist), there expanisonism can not be stopped , atleast for now.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Chyz2: 3:11am On Feb 12, 2011
cheikh:

Chyz*

@Chyz*

Because they conquered the Hausa and Islamised some Nigerians that makes them 'always warriors' and religion/Islam has made it worse?
In other words the local farmers should cower and surrender their source of livelihood because of the above bolded^^ in your view?

The fulanis are the size that they are as we speak because of conquest. They've basically eaten up the tribes they've conquered and made then fulanis. When i say fulani, im not just talking about the ones in nigeria.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 3:40am On Feb 12, 2011
The Fulani are an interesting case study. I'll be lying if I said, I am not amazed in how the rule over a people who are the majority in a region. While there Fulani brethren in other countries are not given this much power.

I wonder if it is, because the other ethnicities located in the Sene-gambia region were Muslims just as long as the Fulbe. The Mandinka, Wolof and Serer are just as zealous as them. Especially the Malinke who are the descendants of the Mali empire.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ekubear1: 3:57am On Feb 12, 2011
cheikh:

eku bear

@eku bear

winkYou sound like an unreformed 'militant' grin grin even a cow or two will not pacify you? wink

My religion commands:
"23: And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

24: Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25: Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."

I'm by no means the best of Christians, but these particular verses I will always follow   grin
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by tyson55(m): 4:22am On Feb 12, 2011
@ eku_bear - You are more or less like the Jewish (isrealis) an eye for an eye.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by naijaking1: 4:42am On Feb 12, 2011
sbeezy8:

[size=13pt]Fulani/Bororo, Oke-Ogun farmers endless clash over farms [/size]
However, the Alepata of Igboho, Oba (Dr) Johnson Oyeyiola, allayed the fears that the Fulani/Bororo tribe poses a danger to Oke Ogun, saying that there is peaceful coexistence between them. According to him, “we are living here peacefully, we cannot experience what they are having over there in Jos[size=13pt]. ” Mr Sidi Bakare, the secretary of the Fulani community in Oorelope local government also buttressed this when he said, “I was born and bred here, even my forefathers were born here. We are the inidigenous Fulani, we are living in peace with the people of the local government, we really appreciate the peaceful coexistence that exists between us and the other tribes. There is no discrimination, we are accommodated as if we are Yorubas.”[/size]

When does "being born and bred" in an area of Nigeria where your tribe is not indigenious make one a full citizen of the area. If this is the case then the Igbos who have lived in Sabon gari Kano for more than 120 years will be treated as Kano state citizens, the Hausas living in Owerri Rd area of Enugu will become Enugu citizens, while the Yorubas living in P.H for the past 100 years will automatically assume Rivers citizenship.

Bye the way, the above statement will make Afonja of old Oyo empire very proud for allowing the Fulanis to establish in the Kwara area in the first place grin
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by sbeezy8: 4:45am On Feb 12, 2011
yea dat fulani guy is weird maybe cause he adopted a yoruba egba name he feels hes an indigne of ogun state
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Abagworo(m): 8:08am On Feb 12, 2011
naijaking1:

When does "being born and bred" in an area of Nigeria where your tribe is not indigenious make one a full citizen of the area. If this is the case then the Igbos who have lived in Sabon gari Kano for more than 120 years will be treated as Kano state citizens, the Hausas living in Owerri Rd area of Enugu will become Enugu citizens, while the Yorubas living in P.H for the past 100 years will automatically assume Rivers citizenship.

Bye the way, the above statement will make Afonja of old Oyo empire very proud for allowing the Fulanis to establish in the Kwara area in the first place grin

In Umuahia,many Hausas have been absorbed as citizens but this Fulani issue is more cultural than religious.We are all deeply involved in culture and religion that we fail to open up our minds.Most nomadic Fulanis are not muslims but traditionalists.They leave a place after the pastures are exhausted.They are not the same as the Usman Dan Fodio town Fulani whose ideology,religion and culture has evolved.What Nigeria needs to solve this problem is a mobile school where these nomads are taught about agriculture and the value of crops to other culturally agrarian people.
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 12, 2011
Only this week, according to news reports and some threads here on NL, there had been several sophisticated attacks by fulanis in Vom and Benue, the same place that created this thread! The fulanis came wit full military kits completd wt bullet proof vest and their attack and withdrawal were highly coordinated!
I tnk problem s gradualy brewing in this country and we are busy trivialising t as ordinary fulani/farmer crises or cattle rustling.
As far as Im concerned, some group in this country who have already stocked enough amunition, are now using the fulanis to cause trouble so they can hide under that to rustle cattle and steal foods just to stock them in readyness fo major unslaught! This is just my opinion, even as the whole fedral gov of Nigeria seems to be powerless against these people. U just consider t, Boko-haram, Jos crises, no solution! Now Benue and the state gov can only go down on her knees and beg the fulanis fo mercy, ridiculus!
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by namfav(m): 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2011
I have missed your post, my brother. How far? cheesy

Seriously, no one is stopping you from moving around, but you need to respect the the indigence of that land. You cannot just hop in and start causing trouble. Africa is everybody's land, but that privileged should not be disrespected,

hey, good good

have you actually seen the land which the livestock feeds on? we need to sto confrontations but one thing we cannot stop is seasonal migrations, it is part of nature, in india their cattle feed in general public, we are just feeding our animals on land which belongs to every person, if someone comes with papers that say the animals are feeding illegally they should challenge that in court not take law into their own hands by killing the livelihood of people
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by ikeyman00(m): 12:32pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^^^

now listen to urself!

i ve told u to stay away from gutter sniffing for good of all

when i said u simply dnt fit-in in the new world u think this is a joke eh??
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by amumex: 2:15pm On Feb 12, 2011
Tiv and Fulani are they not brothers.they knew themselves very well.must they be killing themselves always to settle any arguments.

Fulanis are Nigerians too.it is high time we stop all this reckless killings in this country enough is enough
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by bigmoztj(m): 2:53pm On Feb 12, 2011
Abu-Maryam you are a punk ass, you understand? I'm sure you have ethical problem,

I dont understand why govt will permit a bunch of aimless clowns be moving around

ppl with integrity? Dont 4get u are not an exception. Infact I'm held from Beune, be rest assured that any where I find any fufude his is dead with u inclusive., so watch out FOOL

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tiv/fulani Clash Claims 17 In Benue by Onlytruth(m): 5:44pm On Feb 12, 2011
The truth is that nature abhors vacuums. Any sign that nobody is a efficient or effective occupier of a piece of land will always attract trespassers. In America (I don't know about Nigeria), there is a law which entitles a person to occupy and consummate an empty land or property. By that I mean a land not fenced or in effective use -a house or a farm abandoned for 5 years or so. You can simply file a "quiet title" suit in court and be granted a legal right to start living there without paying a dime, minus property tax of course.

So, in Nigeria you have the Fulani cattle men roaming both used and unused land as if they are the same, going through wilderness and farms the same way. And you have airheads here trying to justify it with dubious logic. undecided undecided sad

One of the things I like about white people is that all their actions are thoughtful (good or bad). For instance, you don't see a white farmer who is not heavily armed. They all maintain weapons rooms (armory) and have men paid to secure the farm. These are large farmers of course, but even local farmers can organize to arm themselves to the teeth and wait for the next band of desert thieves to show up with their cattle. cool

Until someone actually teaches these Fulani cattle men a bitter lesson, they will continue this.

Hoping on Nigerian government to solve this is like waiting for the AIDS cure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Panama Papers: David Mark Denies Having Eight Offshore Companies / EFCC DISCOVERY "Theatrics": What Magu Should Learn From The Nigeria Police / Amnesty International Investigating The Arrest Of 114 IPOB Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.