Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,548 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species (822 Views)

Is Going On A Harmless Date While Married Okay??? / My Harmless Message Brought Me Embarrassment Yesterday / As A Man Doing Well Financially You Are An Endangered Species In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by Astonmartin(m): 10:42am On Aug 09, 2020
Description
The eastern indigo snake (Drymarchon couperi) is a massive, black snake. It is the longest snake native to the United States, ranging in size from 60-84 inches (152-213 cm), and is entirely shiny bluish-black color, including the belly. The chin and sides of the head are usually colored reddish or orange-brown. Juvenile indigo snakes look very similar to adults but have much more red on their heads. Indigo snakes are sexually dimorphic, with males growing to larger lengths than females

Habits
Indigo snakes are active strictly by day. During the summer they prefer wetland edges where prey is abundant but move to drier habitats in the winter. Indigo snakes breed in the winter and are more active in cold weather than most other snakes. When cornered, they may flatten their heads, hiss and vibrate their tails, which produces a rattling sound. Despite these intimidating acts, the indigo snake rarely bites or attack humans. Indigo snakes regularly feed on mammals, birds, frogs and other snakes, including rattlesnakes and cottonmouths. Also, these snakes will occasionally feed on young gopher tortoises.
It often will cohabit with gopher tortoises in their burrows, although it will settle for
armadillo holes, hollow logs, and debris piles when gopher tortoise burrows can't be found. Hunters, hoping to flush out rattlesnakes, often wind up accidentally killing indigo snakes when they illegally pour gasoline into the burrows of gopher tortoises (a practice referred to as "gassing"wink, even though the tortoises themselves are endangered and protected.

Predators
Humans represent the biggest threat to the eastern indigo snake. Highway fatalities, wanton killings, and overcollection for the pet trade adversely affect indigo snake populations. Snakes are taken illegally from the wild for the pet trade. Eastern indigo snakes are sometimes "gassed" in their burrows by rattlesnake, although it doesn't attack or bites humans,even when threatened or attacked the indigo snake shows no aggression

is it illegal to kill an indigo snake?
Although it is illegal, many indigos are harassed or killed simply because they are snakes and some people are afraid of all snakes. Harming an indigo snake is a federal offense that violates the Endangered Species Act; conviction is punishable by substantial fines and/or incarceration.

how does an indigo kill a rattle snake?
Unlike other large snakes, indigo snakes do not rely on constriction or venom to subdue their prey. Rather, they simply overpower it. ... While they are not immune to rattlesnake venom, they have developed a tolerance for it

Reproduction
The eastern indigo snake is oviparous .[18] The eggs are 75–100 mm (3–4 in) long by 27–32 millimetres (1–1 1 ⁄ 4 in) wide. Up to 13 eggs are laid. The hatchlings are 600–700 millimetres (23 1 ⁄ 2 –27 1 ⁄2 in) long.

Captivity and care
Due to its generally docile nature and attractive appearance [citation needed ], some people find the eastern indigo snake to be a desirable pet, although its protected status can make owning one, depending on location, illegal without a permit. Only a few states require permits to own an eastern indigo snake, but a federal permit is required to buy one from out of state anywhere in the US. The permit costs $100; information about obtaining one can be found by doing a web search. Most states allow unrestricted in-state sales. To thrive in captivity , this snake requires a larger enclosure than most species do, preferably with something to climb on
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by Astonmartin(m): 10:45am On Aug 09, 2020
pics loading..
I'm finding it hard to upload pictures, someone should help me out please
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by Halfamilli: 10:51am On Aug 09, 2020
No snake is harmless, go and ask Adam. I believe this one of the sermon eve told Adam. Not today!
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by loadedvibes: 10:59am On Aug 09, 2020
There is no good snake among snakes. If e like make e dey endangered if I catch am I go kill am.
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by Astonmartin(m): 10:59am On Aug 09, 2020
No snake is harmless, go and ask Adam. I believe this one of the sermon eve told Adam. Not today![/quote]
Bro how can I attach pictures to the thread
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by aytuns(m): 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2020
Come on! No picture to even defend the so called harmless snake? Toor.. The killing continues
Re: The Eastern Indigo Snake; Harmless To Humans, Endangered Species by Astonmartin(m): 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
Come on! No picture to even defend the so called harmless snake? Toor.. The killing continues

I don't know how to upload pictures on nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful And Designer Lights Here At Affordable Prices (photos) / Opinion: Are You Cool With Your Partner Still Communicating With Their Ex? / how they tried to kill me. spiritual attacks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.