Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? (38470 Views)

Six Ways To Escape Poverty. / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? / Six Ways Men Can Escape Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Rilwayne001: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2020
MansoryMX:
Yahoo

Yahoo dey easy like that? shocked shocked
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Jeffyblaq(m): 12:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
fykes:
Op lemme give u a little advice that works for me. I have come to see life as a circle.... Whatever u are going through now, someone else has gone through it and won... Another has gone through it and gave up. U are making a known journey, d destination however is ur choice.
My advice.... I am a God fearing man, and I see u trust in making an Honest living so my secret is use ur night seasons.
It always works for me... Whenever u need doors to open, opportunity and destiny helpers, task ur nights. U see that time between 12midnight and 4am... Sacrifice it to God in prayer, cry if u get tired of praying wholeheartedly.
It won't be long, u will sleep well.
I'm not a religious man.

But I did exactly this 7 years ago.. God showed me His mercy and blessings. Despite my metal head.

I pray for everyone to do the right hustle and key in to this.

Silent midnight prayer and communication with the holy spirit is the answer..

Bless up!

20 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Joshmanuel10(m): 12:13pm On Aug 25, 2020
Hmmm this time life e get as e be
Motivational speech wont help get u anywhere, just don't give up, we don't know how things might turn out

4 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nicepoker(m): 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2020
Nairalandmonika:

Of course sha, e nor easy.

Am planning on going into cassava business myself that why am asking.
A lot is involved o guy.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2020
Yahoo Yahoo iz the name
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Perfecttouchade: 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2020
Things will get better, don't give up..with prayers and hardwork u will rise again ..the country is not just for the youths with good intentions and good heart, if only the leaders will invest in the lives of the youths and I think it's just about time the youth needs to realize that our leaders don't care about the youth hence we need to decide what we want when it comes to choosing our leaders

7 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by ojaysam25(m): 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
@op what you're going through might be spiritual....

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by sulaak(m): 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
How does a Nigerian youth escape poverty?

....By collaborating with other youths to protest and demand good governance.

Every advise that has been shared on this forum, has good intentions, but unless Nigeria has a capable government, you will always be poor. Surviving and prayers cannot solve your poverty problems, changing the society not only for yourself but all Nigerians is the only solution.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Karlifate: 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
Acidosis:
I think the problems started when you choose business over tertiary education at the age of 18 because of money.

Again, at 25, you still feel you have failed and somehow you feel that everyone is better because of money.

Truth is, you will ALWAYS feel this way for as long as MONEY remains your alpha and omega. You obviously don't believe in growth and the saying that there's time for everything.

N1m in the hands of a 25 year old man with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science is more valuable than N1m in the hands of an 18 year old boy.

Going back to school after you have lost over a million naira and waiting to graduate and earn N18k NYSC alawee will always demotivate you. Right now, it will take a special grace and endurance for you to finish your education especially now that you're surrounded by money conscious friends and your yahoo yahoo younger brother.
Apt!

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by golddare: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
Your story is nice because I can see the progression but if you are not careful you may loose it all. Your thinking must express hope, you must believe in what you are doing and mostly in yourself. You have learnt the lesson of life, never mix business with family, to be Frank with you nobody send you in this life, only God.
While in school then I know some guys that will travel faraway lagos to do bus conductors etc because of shame and when school resumes they always have enough. Look for a job that will pay you daily. Crime is not sweet so dont be deceived and infact stay clear off those involved in it if you love yourself. Above all you have taken the right decisions so far, study and wait someday your time come.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by generalwo(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

Pls I need your comments and advice
...... Everyone has a story bro but don't give up...... My own story na your own plus a lady got pregnant for me and now i have a baby girl..... All the loan companies for 9ja know my name and i am owing close to 400k in loans alone.... Tried to do a business, that's why i took the loans but i got scammed..... All i think about now is how to pay my loans, cater for my baby girl and her mum......... But no lose hope my brother..... No join bad gang.... Just as i have hope, i want you to have hope..... Despite the difficult times, have you wondered how and why you are still alive?? God has a purpose for this phase of our lives.... We have lessons to learn...... We will survive..... No give up cos if you do, you would have made the devil a Victor over your life..... God loves you.... I don't know you personally but i love you too bro.... We go survive last last. ..... Keep doing that which is good and u enjoy doing and one day.... Heavens will smile on you....

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Investnow2017: 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
Acidosis:
I think the problems started when you choose business over tertiary education at the age of 18 because of money.

Again, at 25, you still feel you have failed and somehow you feel that everyone is better because of money.

Truth is, you will ALWAYS feel this way for as long as MONEY remains your alpha and omega. You obviously don't believe in growth and the saying that there's time for everything.

N1m in the hands of a 25 year old man with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science is more valuable than N1m in the hands of an 18 year old boy.

Going back to school after you have lost over a million naira and waiting to graduate and earn N18k NYSC alawee will always demotivate you. Right now, it will take a special grace and endurance for you to finish your education especially now that you're surrounded by money conscious friends and your yahoo yahoo younger brother.
You have touched a very sensitive aspect of life which our school curriculum does not capture. It is deep, most people still not understand though. What an intelligent and informed perspective! Thank you.

11 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by IamDavid(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
There are basically five ways to success.

1. Riding on the works of sponsors. (Rich parents and relative who are able, willing and ready to help you whether you are good enough or not)

2. Excellence. Even in this Naira country, excellence still gets rewarded. Study medicine and graduate, have a first class in a relevant course, be extremely good with your skills, etc.

3. Luck. Even if you do nothing, luck can still pick you. Examples abound. Someone got a scholarship abroad after a leaked seex tape.

4. Fraud.

5. Any combination of the aforementioned.

Choose responsibly and don't forget that above any rule or convention, God has the final say.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

No advice for you but you can choose from these choices.
1. If you are lucky to meet someone to help you especially as you v published this your story publicly and on nairaland.

2. Go n do yahoo yahoo. (This is controversial but logically right in Nigeria). It's a hopless situation here

3. Go back to your legit hustle. It's frustrating, it's tiring. But some still live with their honours intact.
That's all. Don't mind me if I m blunt but bro, you tried so much...More than any motivational speaker!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Jeffyblaq(m): 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
unilag100:
Customized Next season jersey available for all clubs, available for 5000. DM is open or WhatsApp ‬
‪08146758780‬. Kindly help me tell someone that is in need of this, I reside in Ibadan but I can deliver anywhere within Nigeria.
K
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Emotionss: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Supreme145:

I think you gat me there bro,but dropping out of school is never an option....I have decided to let things happen naturally, my do and die warfare towards prosperity haven't gotten me anywhere

The best advice I can give you now is for you to try your possible best and learn Forex treading. It's one of the best and somewhat easiest way to make money at this age.

5 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Cmanforall: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:

Education
Good grades
Commitment in any voluntary activity you engage in (including religious activities)
And have a good mentor (This may require loyalty)!

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
as long as you are still breathing on this planet, anything can happen.

people have already given you the advices, encouragement and options you can take from, you should not forget praying too.

it is not easy and it is not over.

5 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
fykes:
Brothers... The question is when u look at urself and visualise ur future, what do u see?
What are dreams u want most,
What visions for ur family, ur community, ur parents, for urself do u see?
U see there's something stronger than your reality, infact it creates ur reality. That is the force of faith.
Do u still have hope for something? Do u still believe in something? These things are the important issues of life... Remember, one phone call, one chance meeting, one being at a right place can turn u into a millionaire.
Wealth is not often worked for... It's a gift to them that believe.life Is not about what can see with ur eyes, it's about what u can see with ur mind.
but only few get wealth.
Why is dz life unbalanced?
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
This life can be so frustrating and annoying , no money , no family, we are just left to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Everything is so tough these days , but all in all I always remember that when there is life there is hope. We must continue to strive for a better tomorrow

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by kunkelhanspeter(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
Na yahoo oh
To make a honest living is very difficult here in zoo is worst
Las las all man will die one day
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by oluwaahmed: 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
G
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Hamsaini: 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
Go back to your uncle and seek for forgiveness, even though you think you did nothing wrong...Then work and pray harder like say tomorrow no dey

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by generalwo(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Guy my own worst pass your own
Is like them curse me sef, after sec school I never get anything good apart from second hand tecno k7, na only 2 clothes,two short Nika and one trouser I dey manage.

Me don give up, na village I dey now dey cultivate cassava dey fry garri dey sell.
But my story no mean say mke you give up.
Me I don tire na why I choose dis village life
.... God no go shame us bro.... As far as we no dey thief and we no dey cheat anybody..... God go bless all we dey do.... That cassava wey u dey cultivate go turn gold and silver for your hand....God bless us all

18 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Investnow2017: 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
ojaysam25:
@op what you're going through might be spiritual....
Dem don come. So you want to recommend a church abi? Or he should come to your own to be paying 10% plus sowing seed. This your mindset reeks of evil. Spiritual indeed. Shame

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by generalwo(m): 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Guy, e sweet as you talk am o
But I wish u where in my shoes
Life nor easy
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by chefremy(m): 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Ok you guys are trying to give him solutions, but we are not answering the question being asked here for those of us who need answers

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Hamsaini: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Go back to your uncle and seek for forgiveness, even though you think you did nothing wrong...Then work and pray harder like say tomorrow no dey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
MansoryMX:
[s][/s]

Hahahahaha,
Na fight grin
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Coldie(m): 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lately I found out that they do it through Yahoo.

A friend of mine that dropped out from secondary school just bought an Avalon through it

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by jolyment: 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
H

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

One-year-old Baby Bites Snake To Death / My Wife To Be Has Anger Issue. How Do I Curtail It? / The Biological Mother of President Goodluck Jonathan's Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.