Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? (38483 Views)

Six Ways To Escape Poverty. / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? / Six Ways Men Can Escape Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by OB3344(m): 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2020
officialfestus:
Quote me if you have a dead laptop battery Edo state only
I do bro
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Bewiseedet(m): 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Guy my own worst pass your own
Is like them curse me sef, after sec school I never get anything good apart from second hand tecno k7, na only 2 clothes,two short Nika and one trouser I dey manage.

Me don give up, na village I dey now dey cultivate cassava dey fry garri dey sell.
But my story no mean say mke you give up.
Me I don tire na why I choose dis village life
When I see stories like this, e mean say we plenty for nairaland. City life is hell I wan try relocate to village atleast I go dey see food chop there.

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by shegzhkn: 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
ethicallyright:

I remember Obama's campaign in 2004. "The hope of a skinny little boy with a funny name who believes Nigeria has a place for him too."

grin you very funny aswear.

The hope of a skinny little boy with a funny name who believes Nigeria has a place for him too.

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2020
Try and involve urself with the things of God by being a dedicated member of a church. from my experience the church is second best place after family where u wil meet people dat geniunely love u. mentors that wil guide u as u make better decisions that wil improve your life tremendously. there is noting God cannot do, Peharps it could be his way of caling you to draw closer to him. all the best bro

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by officialfestus(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
OB3344:

I do bro
how many bro?
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by ufoskomo: 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Hi, get in touch with me. ufoskomo77@hotmail.co.uk
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Danniedpastor(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
Propsvilla:
Send a message to the WhatsApp No on my Signature

You mean both phone numbers?
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by banio: 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Is like them curse me sef, after sec school I never get anything good apart from second hand tecno k7, na only 2 clothes,two short Nika and one trouser I dey manage.

Me don give up, na village I dey now dey cultivate cassava dey fry garri dey sell.

Everybody wants a good pussy that smells good, joy, food, security, good health, good school for kids and GOD.
If You have all these, then village or city means less.

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by o9o9: 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:

I will be forever grateful to you bro.....I'm interested.
I'm unable to send you a mail,pls reach me through Y'ello! 09038781279

Would chat you up on WhatsApp shortly.

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by banio: 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

Pls I need your comments and advice

Your Father bought a land, while You we're hungry at school. That speaks volumes. Anyways that's the truth about life, your Father is planning his future after all he has trained you through secondary school.

So You should plan your life.

Focus and plan

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by uthlaw: 5:05pm On Aug 25, 2020
ojaysam25:

The problem with average Nigeria is that they trivialize so many things...trust me I speak from experience...in my opinion he should seek God in prayer....
being the firstborn in a family especially in this part of the world is enough to attract struggles especially in a polygamous setup plus the op might have offend his uncle who might be angry with him..we should not trivialize things of the spirit...
that polygamous you mention is the most difficult issue on Earth....exactly what we are presently facing!

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by uthlaw: 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
bobokunlexzy:
Check my signature very well.
Can you see the title of that eBook?

That's exactly where the money is....& taking the money out of the Lion's mouth requires diligence, tact & swift action.

The content is loaded & I can assure you & anyone who cares to have a copy that after reading it, your orientation will change & you will take a huge step to your financial freedom.

So my brother, this is what you need but it's painful that youths of this generation don't read & if only they know the power of information kept in a book, they won't joke with books especially one of this kind.

Just DM the no & request for a free copy. You will get it under 2mins.
can I also get...

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by bigcee(m): 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by bobokunlexzy: 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
Ofcourse you can. Drop your email address or check my signature & hi me on watsapp. You will get it immediately.

uthlaw:
can I also get...
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Queenflourish(f): 5:44pm On Aug 25, 2020
Please i need an online job
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Stan2330(m): 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
sulaak:
How does a Nigerian youth escape poverty?

....By collaborating with other youths to protest and demand good governance.

Every advise that has been shared on this forum, has good intentions, but unless Nigeria has a capable government, you will always be poor. Surviving and prayers cannot solve your poverty problems, changing the society not only for yourself but all Nigerians is the only solution.

Chief u have said everything....with good governance 80% of ppl poor now will be comfortable.
Why do I need to pray and disturb God when God has already showed to me ppl holding back our future
The problem with us is that we always expect miracle as if God is a magician

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Chiboto414: 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
Get #38k from your brother and invest it in Allianceinmotion networking biz .and u will not regret it..its pays..you will thank me later

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by SpambotLeaveMeNa: 6:05pm On Aug 25, 2020
hustla:

Honest advise

Since you like programming, try to save up and get a laptop

That laptop is what will make you escape poverty if you play your cards well.. You will continue your coding via Udemy and get good at it

Software dev jobs, remote ones boku online.. learn AWS Cloud + DevOps too and you will be glad you did

I still dey pray to God to help me learn coding cry

See an example in the screenshot below

Which site is this please

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by hustla(m): 6:10pm On Aug 25, 2020
SpambotLeaveMeNa:

Which site is this please

It's book marked on my pc
Mention me tmr morning I'll help you check

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by obanor99: 6:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bro, if you can save up and if you believe you can refer people,I would advice that you should go into network marketing,within a short period of time you will be glad you did...I am currently into Crowd1 and Superlife...you can Dm for more info...where do you school?
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Ofiagu(m): 6:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

Pls I need your comments and advice

Because you sound genuine, I am interested in Making you an offer.

Try and reach me, but better be genuine.
Good luck
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Myzzyfrazzy(m): 6:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bro i will advice you from what worked for me.. Depend on people who are already standing its so hard to climb on your own in this country. you have to bear the humiliation and insults. just keep your goal in your heart and stay focus. keep depending till you are financially stable with insurance to be independent

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
No escape.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by ojaysam25(m): 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
uthlaw:
that polygamous you mention is the most difficult issue on Earth....exactly what we are presently facing!
I tell you bro....is only God that can help us.

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
You even get uncles to raise money for you. Lucky though, beg your dad – even if it means kissing the ground – to give you 50k to get another laptop, then continue with programming, website development pays a lot and save this time or else you'll regret it terribly, go back to school too CS is a very good course and as a programmer CS will take you places, then after school that money you saved ehn use it to go abroad and get your masters or just get a programming job (it pays a lot).

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by jamesxay: 6:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
OP mail me. I think I can help you out a bit. In case you prefer to mail direct so I can share you my whatsapp - c p u I n f o r m e r s @ g m a I l . c o m

I will check from now until the next 10 days bro.

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by suzzyrims: 7:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
emrain:
How to escape poverty in Nigeria

- become a yahoo boy

- become a big-time criminal

- if you find yourself in the uni, study a useful course and graduate with a minimum of 2.1. Also, at the very least, learn how to speak clean queens English

- learn a high-value skill

- Network up (as a poor boy, you'd have to be a chronic sycophant)

- prostitution

- if you're a woman, marry up.

Pick the one you have the capacity for.

How to remain poor

- Go to church every day
- Network with your hood people
- play bet9ja
- play video games to while away time
- Don’t read self-improvement books
- keep complaining, winning inconsequential arguments and losing friends.
- Finally, keep on praying, hoping that God will direct you to a random bag of money.

Apt.

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by mypains: 7:28pm On Aug 25, 2020
mariahAngel:
How about going back to that your uncle who wanted to help you and apologize to him.
You were young and in a hurry to start living the life, you made the wrong decision.
When you make a mistake(s) in your life, you retrace your steps to know where you got it wrong and correct it/them.
Did you act ungrateful?
Go back to him and make amends. Even if it means I gba oso ahia .
There's still time for you.
You are the only that saw it...

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by KenModi(m): 7:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
frozen70:

This is too lengthy, but the key to stay away from poverty is to get some thing doing and stay away from laziness

If it is too lengthy, then don’t comment without reading; the OP is not lazy. But you never read the post so how would you know that before commenting “out of point”.

If it is too lengthy, then common sense no tell you make you no quote d entire “lengthy” post before you comment. How that one take escape your brain?! angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

My Wife To Be Has Anger Issue. How Do I Curtail It? / The Biological Mother of President Goodluck Jonathan's Children / Lady Dies 2 Months After Her Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.