Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders (30635 Views)

IPOB Invades Shops Of Those Who Disobeyed Sit-At-Home Order, Scatters Goods / We Locked Down For Covid,we Will Lock Down For Kanu / Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by EmagNig(m): 7:15am On Aug 17, 2020
Ghanaian authorities have stated the reason who some shops belonging to Nigerian traders in the country were locked up over the weekend.

In an interview with Starr News, Boakye Boateng, the head of communications in the country’s trade ministry said it would be unfair for the Nigerian traders to complain of insensitivity.

He further alleged that the traders were pardoned for over a year following the intervention of President Nana Akufo-Addo.

Boateng said;

“It cannot be that we’ve been insensitive. If that is what they’re saying, I’ll be  disappointed because I’ll rather say they have rather been unfair to us as a regulatory body because we have given them more time than enough to the extent even the Ghanaians thought that the ministry was not on their side or the ministry wasn’t ready to even enforce law.

“So, it’s very surprising to me for them to say that we’ve not given them enough time. If you recall as far back as December last year, these shops were locked, the president intervened and we asked that the shops be re-opened because the very law that gives GUTA the right to be the sole traders in our market, that same law requires that a certain group of people are those who can go and do law enforcement and not you, so allow us to do our work.

“They complied, the shops were opened. Since then we have given them an opportunity to regularise the document and submit it to us for verification, that has not been done. Now, this exercise started from Abossey-Okai on Monday. Because we have never been to Abossey-Okai  for this exercise, when we went there we did not just start locking shops. We went there, we inspected the shops and we gave them notices that  in 14-days they should ensure that all their necessary documentations be complete. These people have been served notices for over a year now.”

https://lailasnews.com/why-we-locked-up-shops-of-some-nigerian-traders-ghanaian-authorities/

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 17, 2020
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

The good ones let them continue to enjoyed their businesses

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Ugaboy: 7:23am On Aug 17, 2020
nigeria has become a joke for countries, evey1 wants to use us and collect star
------- -----------
you can become an expert in programming from zero knowledge by yourself...the practical steps videos are so self developing even kids from 10years can understand and recall.

8 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by psucc(m): 7:24am On Aug 17, 2020
If Ghana has a regulatory body that can bark and bite, good for them.

For us here it is the defaulters that regulate those agencies against Nigerians provided � is there to chop.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by backnbeta(f): 7:28am On Aug 17, 2020
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 7:30am On Aug 17, 2020
Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine your relatives that will be affected

192 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by FacelessKing: 7:32am On Aug 17, 2020
It is illegal to Trade in a foreign Country with just a Visitor's permit.

You did the right thing Ghana.

7 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by LandMann: 7:33am On Aug 17, 2020
And they were all crying wolf the other day... Nigerians have killed this country with illegality and corruption and now they want to start exporting it to other nations.

We must all come together to work for the actualisation of a bill prescribing death sentence for corrupt public officials. Please join the conversation here to share your input:

https://www.nairaland.com/6057481/opinion-death-sentence-bill-public

5 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by goshen26: 7:33am On Aug 17, 2020
This mind of "we both own this place" syndrome is disturbing my brothers from the East.

It is not a sin to be a pilgrim in a foreign land, but never assume or think that the place is urs.

God always bless people in a foreign land because they leave the comfort of their fatherland to seek for food. You can check the Bible to prove my claim.

But you not obeying simple order is not too good.

Another thing with Ibos is this natural pride. I laugh at them here in lagos when I see the ones they newly brought from the village trying to cajole me in lagos here. The way they walk also show this pride, especially the uneducated ones.

My observation tho

31 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by ODJ124(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2020
Ghana is looking for trouble...... When Nigeria respond in kind and over kind..
they we know we are truly the Giant of Africa..

5 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Olalan(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2020
There are always two sides of a story.....can our Nigerian brothers show us evidence of documents that back up their claims to be law abiding. It's plainly stupid to support them if they didn't do due diligence

9 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrPsalmist(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2020
I 8-2 see such news
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by styless(f): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2020
Hope this is not a payback to Ghana Must Go? Okay.

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by chinchonglee(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2020
But the said man was showing his tax documents et al.

And where is is useless emptyhead guy that was quoting ghana's law for us the other day. Come and see why they closed the shop not the nonsense law u were quoting

8 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by FrankBass281(m): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
I 8-2 see Nigerians in such situation. pls open their shops because they will 8-2 come back home.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Judolisco(m): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
If Nigeria stops d supply of gas now una go start dey cry ecowas... Na my president I blame

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
weyreypey:

Nope. Igbos should learn to respect the laws of where they live. Same thing they do in Lagos State. Mdchikezie and co

You people keep saying it's Igbos, exactly what happened in South Africa where we thought it's only Igbos that owns shops there until it turns out there are plenty Yorubas doing business there.

Ghanaians are cunny, how can you be in ECOWAS and through the back doors insert laws that says Nigerians must deposit $1million dollars before they can sale even Nokia battery.

Can the Ghanaians doing business in Nigeria deposit $1million nonrefundable money to our government? Make you get sense that in international law, they don't know tribes if you check Yorubas are there as well

93 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by wizkidblogger(f): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
next...
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Congrats321(m): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
So you have only Igbo traders or shop owners in Ghana? No Yoruba and others?

weyreypey:

Nope. Igbos should learn to respect the laws of where they live. Same thing they do in Lagos State. Mdchikezie and co

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Gabe427: 7:35am On Aug 17, 2020
Boateng angryBoateng
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Virginkpekus(f): 7:36am On Aug 17, 2020
weyreypey:

Lagos is Nigeria's land, they have much rights in Lagos as they have in bornu state. Stop comparing Lagos and Ghana please. One Nigeria!!!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by AkalaJustice: 7:36am On Aug 17, 2020
But why locking only igbo shops? Something is fishy.

20 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by BOFA2020: 7:36am On Aug 17, 2020
Ugaboy:
nigeria has become a joke for countries, evey1 wants to use us and collect star

Yeah they are collecting stars on the criminals not the law abiding ones.

Rubbish talk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 7:36am On Aug 17, 2020
Olalan:
There are always two sides of a story.....

The other side is that Ghanaians want Nigerians to pay their government $1million dollars each, before they can sale even Nokia Lumia battery.

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

12 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 17, 2020
Black lives matter, maybe not for African inhabitants in Africa.

What do I even know..

It's Monday morning, hustle smart

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:37am On Aug 17, 2020
Now, this exercise started from Abossey-Okai on Monday. Because we have never been to Abossey-Okai  for this exercise, when we went there we did not just start locking shops. We went there, we inspected the shops and we gave them notices that  in 14-days they should ensure that all their necessary documentations be complete. These people have been served notices for over a year now.”

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Peter Obi Meets African Union And ECOWAS Observers (Pictures) / See The Items Recovered From Boko Haram Suspect Linked To Attacks In Benue State / APC Will Know I’m An Attack Dog –adamu Mu’azu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.