Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,953 members, 7,828,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders (30690 Views)

IPOB Invades Shops Of Those Who Disobeyed Sit-At-Home Order, Scatters Goods / We Locked Down For Covid,we Will Lock Down For Kanu / Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by anungangampu: 6:00pm On Aug 17, 2020
Sagay212:
Because you do anyhow in your country doesn't mean your nonsense will be tolerated in other countries. Obey the law and nobody will disturb you. Pay your taxes and you won't have problems.

I wish I could handle tax collection in nigeria. I swear to God I will make sure Indians , Lebanese, chinese, indians especially pay their taxes up to date. I will strangle them with that payment of taxes because they are experts in tax evasion and some useless nigerians support them.
guess you guys are robots or what
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by anungangampu: 6:03pm On Aug 17, 2020
luluman:
If migration no pay you come back home now.
if all Nigeria living abroad come back home.. U would loose your job. Stop being silly
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by slowice(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2020
MrAkata:

Texas is a conservative and laid back . The hustle mentality you see in NY won't get you far in Texas. Locals wont tolerate any perceived disrespect. Texas is gun country so you might end up getting shot and nobody cares. Texas is where you can walk the street with an M16 and police cant stop you. In order to make it in Texas you have to be humble and respectful. The opposite of new York. The hustle mentality won't get you far in Texas
my brother no need for plenty shalaye.... What is your definition of humble and respectful? And note that my analogy was about one from taxas who live in Newyork besides our relatives in taxas are living and no one has harrase them for "walking in a certain way" according to you
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by luluman: 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2020
anungangampu:
if all Nigeria living abroad come back home.. U would loose your job. Stop being silly
You think that will take my trade away from me? ERROR. Think again, people's survival is not only in foreign land. I repeat IF ANOTHER MAN'S LAND NO FAVOUR YOU GO BACK HOME.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Gee64: 7:43pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ghanaian government is only being vindictive to Nigerians
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrAkata: 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2020
slowice:
my brother no need for plenty shalaye.... What is your definition of humble and respectful? And note that my analogy was about one from taxas who live in Newyork besides our relatives in taxas are living and no one has harrase them for "walking in a certain way" according to you

Does a Nigerian not understand the definition of humble and respectful ? Maybe that's why trouble seems to follow some people.

You're analogy is backwards because the topic was about Nigerians moving to Ghana.

There's a sentiment that if u can make it in Lagos you can make it anywhere.That isn't necessarily true. Yes that may apply to New York because it's a similar environment. That does not apply to Texas.

A real Texan will never move to New York voluntarily. It's a different culture with different societal norms.

So your analogy is flawed and should be a new Yorker moving to texas
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by truthfulparrot(m): 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

The good ones let them continue to enjoyed their businesses

If you have ever been to major markets in Ghana, you will realize that Nigerians traders are mostly from the Southwest, especially from Ogbomosho and Osun axis. Please think before you write.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Sagay212: 9:28pm On Aug 17, 2020
anungangampu:
guess you guys are robots or what

??
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by slowice(m): 10:00pm On Aug 17, 2020
MrAkata:

Does a Nigerian not understand the definition of humble and respectful ? Maybe that's why trouble seems to follow some people.

You're analogy is backwards because the topic was about Nigerians moving to Ghana.

There's a sentiment that if u can make it in Lagos you can make it anywhere.That isn't necessarily true. Yes that may apply to New York because it's a similar environment. That does not apply to Texas.

A real Texan will never move to New York voluntarily. It's a different culture with different societal norms.

So your analogy is flawed and should be a new Yorker moving to texas

Oga you made a statement which led to this... My analogy seem flawed to you because you simply can't recall the statement you made earlier........ only petty person would describe others as being proud because of how how they walk and talk. You expect them to respect you just because they are non indegenes. Out there in cities, everyone is equal, stop expecting adults to worship you because you re an indegenes and if they don't you call them proud, arrogant.... Wake up sir, it ll never happen
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrAkata: 10:10pm On Aug 17, 2020
slowice:

Oga you made a statement which led to this... My analogy seem flawed to you because you simply can't recall the statement you made earlier........ only petty person would describe others as being proud because of how how they walk and talk. You expect them to respect you just because they are non indegenes. Out there in cities, everyone is equal, stop expecting adults to worship you because you re an indegenes and if they don't you call them proud, arrogant.... Wake up sir, it ll never happen

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's a waste of time trying to have certain nuanced discussion with certain people. With wisdom comes understanding. I wish you nothing but gods blessings. Maybe god someday will open your mind and heart to understand
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by slowice(m): 10:12pm On Aug 17, 2020
MrAkata:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's a waste of time trying to have certain nuanced discussion with certain people. With wisdom comes understanding. I wish you nothing but gods blessings. Maybe god someday will open your mind and heart to understand

I also pray you become more open minded and understand that we re not so different
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrAkata: 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2020
slowice:

I also pray you become more open minded and understand that we re not so different

Culturally we are a lot of times

If u don't plan to conform and respect those differences then it's best you stay home
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Difrent: 10:43pm On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.
why should any sane nigerian go to ghana to sell nasco biscuit? abeg you people should stop disgracing us..... Supply Nasco biscuits there and allow the natives sell in retail........not all country export their jobs by allowing foreigners take over businesses that should be meant for their citizens alone.....
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by edoairways: 10:58pm On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine your relatives that will be affected
You have a point there.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by LastProphet: 11:12pm On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
oga , everyone knows Black South Africans are not naturally enterprising like the white South Africans who owns those stores and companies you mentioned.

My aunty owns a provision store in London. Nigerians own lots of shops in Peckham . Go there you will think it's a Nigerian market

Ask your Aunty again what it costs to open even a small business in the UK? Specifically ask about compliances. And that you know someone as a Yoruba person in the UK doesn't mean he's a Nigerian there. To open ordinary Mamaput in the UK you will nearly submit your neck to compliance inspectors, at time 1 year restaurant never open. See in Canada to get what we call an investor visa you are required to invest minimum of $500,000 in their economy? Google it. If you allow foreigners come to run the jobs your own citizens can do then what will your own citizens do
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 11:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
This argument I support the Ghanaians hundred percent will Nigerians are stupid illiterate will vote for criminal we run to other countries we want to vote for criminal again. Why is it all over the world Nigerians have been targeted and not other African countries. The reason is clear Nigerians want to vote for their own criminal in another man's land
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Smartwave: 12:07am On Aug 18, 2020
anungangampu:
people like you have not achieved anything in life, if they leave Lagos for you only u would continue being poor
sorry for your lost, I have no connection whatsoever with Lagos, mind you, I hate that City. I love a quiet life grin
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 12:39am On Aug 18, 2020
Smartwave:
sorry for your lost, I have no connection whatsoever with Lagos, mind you, I hate that City. I love a quiet life grin

Lagos is completely sitting City it is one of the most disorganised in Africa it is so disorganized
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by dasparrow: 1:53am On Aug 18, 2020
smileyoo:
but why must Ghanaians be demanding such a huge amount of $1 millions from nigerians, before they can be allowed to do business in Ghana ?
are Ghanaians in Nigeria paying such ridiculous amount to do business in Nigeria ?
it's a shame that some nigerians can still support such evil law from Ghana authorities.

I am not Ghanaian but I don't think the rule is only targeted at Nigerians but rather at every foreigner looking to open a retail shop.

The reason for the outrageous sum of $1 million that they are asking for is mainly to discourage foreigners from coming to Ghana to open small retail shops. The Ghanaian government are aware that Nigerians who are into small retail businesses can't afford that kind of money anyway.

To be honest, I don't know why any Nigerian will invest in a country of which you have no permanent residency or citizenship.

You can't just wander into someone's country, rent a shop and start trading. Other African countries are not like Nigeria where anything goes and anyone can come into Nigeria and do what they want.

Before embarking on any business venture in a foreign country, endeavor to check out the rules and regulations that apply to foreigners wishing to open a business in said country. Don't just take matters into your own hands and do as you please because there are heavy repercussions.

What needs to happen now is that Nigerian traders need to inquire from perhaps Ghanaian lawyers conversant with the law regarding this issue on the way forward. Where there is a will, there is a way. Push come to shove, Nigerian traders should just leave their country for them. It's their country, their rules. I mean what can you do as a Nigerian? Especially if you are not a permanent resident or hold their citizenship?
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by supercase1(m): 3:18am On Aug 18, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

Shame on you agent of distabalisation!!!!
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Kingspin(m): 3:31am On Aug 18, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

This is how lost you type are in Nigeria.

Maybe your own people shops were also locked up.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by slowice(m): 5:26am On Aug 18, 2020
MrAkata:

Culturally we are a lot of times

If u don't plan to conform and respect those differences then it's best you stay home

When you aay"respect our differnnce" what you really want is for me to act cowardly before you and that won't happen. If you really want respect, respect is reciprocal
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 7:55am On Aug 18, 2020
Difrent:
why should any sane nigerian go to ghana to sell nasco biscuit? abeg you people should stop disgracing us..... Supply Nasco biscuits there and allow the natives sell in retail........not all country export their jobs by allowing foreigners take over businesses that should be meant for their citizens alone.....

Comprehension is really hard for you.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrAkata: 8:19am On Aug 18, 2020
slowice:

When you aay"respect our differnnce" what you really want is for me to act cowardly before you and that won't happen. If you really want respect, respect is reciprocal

Knowledge , wisdom and understanding

ZIG ZAG ZIG
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 18, 2020
POKUASI2:
NIGERIANS are the ones targeted.. the Chinese and Lebanese are doing retail trading in the market.. I have pictorial evidence

hurt but true. But i think Chinks've already be targeted as well
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 11:33am On Aug 18, 2020
I have said this from day one I support the Ghanaians hundred percent for their actions. Let me inform you on something most of our people are stupid because of their criminal mentality even the Nigerian idiot which the vote for to represent them which are partially criminals do nothing for Nigerians. Look at what happened in South Africa India and China admittedly violence started the head of Nigerian Communities smugged themselves out of the country and left their people to be slaughtered. The truth of the matter it is not the government both us citizens are stupid any Nigerian idiot they will vote for they will support. I have seen this wite Nigerian people in UK and America a Nigerian in prison is who Nigerians want to vote for. I do not blame the Ghanaian at all any country which will Nigerians go to it is the same thing. Which Nigerians are the most stupid people in the world we would run away from our country because a Nigerian will do nothing for us when we get to another man's lanthen we want to vote for a Nigerian idiot which Could Do Nothing For Us in Nigeria just go to America and Britain and see the amount of stupid Nigerians with and suffering after voting for themselves..
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by POKUASI2: 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2020
Uglyojuku:

Let us have the pictorial evidence because I believe that Chinese, Lebanese etc do not do the 2 by 2 shops that we Nigerians do.Theirs might be super mega stores. Is there any other reason these Ghanaians are doing this?
dude I know what am talking about ..
The Chinese are in Opera square trading as I type this
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Resemblance246: 4:57pm On Aug 18, 2020
truthfulparrot:
If you have ever been to major markets in Ghana, you will realize that Nigerians traders are mostly from the Southwest, especially from Ogbomosho and Osun axis. Please think before you write.

Oga we already know they are all Igbo traders we can judge for the Ghanaian base on our own view as well.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Resemblance246: 5:20pm On Aug 18, 2020
OlaPhils:
They should just come back home, there are spaces in Ibadan , osun state , osun state where they can establish .
There are lots of Ghanaians whom i use to know living in Ibadan, some taxi driver, some gate men and some sell banku at night, no one trouble or disturb them.

That is why Ghanaian understand the Yorubas better they understand the relationship between us. Why Yorubas don't complain much and make loud noise all over as our brothers does. In case like this, we know what we can do.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by prophetfire: 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

. It's unfortunate you are uninformed. Who told you that it's about tax? Registration fee to do petty trading in shop is 350,000 dollars. The GIPC permit for foreigners is 1million dollars. Those are the two sums they are being told to pay. Not Cedi but US dollars. They want to stop foreigners (Nigerians) from doing small scale business in Ghana and instead of telling them to go, they came up with those sums. They want to drive them away to pave way for their Nationals to do business without competition from Nigerians. Hatred for Igbos will never allow you petty humans to seek knowledge. Always commenting from a heart filled with hatred, bile and bitterness.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Kfed4ril(m): 7:38pm On Aug 20, 2020
Olalan:
There are always two sides of a story.....can our Nigerian brothers show us evidence of documents that back up their claims to be law abiding. It's plainly stupid to support them if they didn't do due diligence

I don’t know why you people plainly are tribalistic, I saw it on AIT last week where the Nigerian guy pasted all necessary documents inside his shop for all to see, but the Ghanaian authorities who came weren’t interested in looking at it, even after the guy persuaded them to.
His tax was upto date, his papers were complete but the weren’t interested
They only thing they wanted was to lock his shop for not being able to pay the $1m the Ghana government imposed on foreign retailers.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by POKUASI2: 10:38pm On Aug 30, 2020
SkyOne11:

hurt but true. But i think Chinks've already be targeted as well
Go to Opera square.. there's a lane where they sells fake Chinese slippers, you'll see about 4 shops operated by the Chinese..
Meanwhile the hateful Ghanaians asked NIGERIANS to leave Opera square for them.
In fact, they fought NIGERIANS and lock their shops over there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kogi Election: Fabulous KSP Shot Dead (Photos) / EndSARS Protesters Shut Down Iwo Road, Causing Gridlock / ‘You are Inflicting Hardship On Nigerians’, PDP Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.