Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders (30692 Views)

IPOB Invades Shops Of Those Who Disobeyed Sit-At-Home Order, Scatters Goods / We Locked Down For Covid,we Will Lock Down For Kanu / Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by weyreypey: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2020
Igbos should learn how to respect the laws of the place they dwell

3 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SmartPolician: 7:42am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

Brother, Nigeria is a useless country. Everywhere you go, you see a countless number of Nigerians trading and doing other things to survive

If this country worked, nobody would be in a hurry to leave. Nobody likes to be insulted and disrespected in faraway lands.

If you go to any embassy in Nigeria, you will see hundreds in queue to leave the country. I don't know where we got the mentality of running away from our country whereas we can demand that our leaders do what is right.

Almost every young person has been made to believe that immediately you leave Nigeria, you have made it in life as if money grew on trees elsewhere in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by greall12(m): 7:44am On Aug 17, 2020
I don’t want to insult you because it’s earlier Monday. Tell me how of those beans sellers with dodo along your street.

FacelessKing:
It is illegal to Trade in a foreign Country with just a Visitor's permit.

You did the right thing Ghana.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Newboss(m): 7:48am On Aug 17, 2020
backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

Enough of the xenophobia. There are foreign nationals all over the world working and living freely.

Nigerians want to live abroad but cringe at the thought of foreign nationals immigrating into Nigeria
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Angelfrost(m): 7:48am On Aug 17, 2020
backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

You are in a lawless and slow country, being led by people who lack integrity and patriotism... My deepest sympathies.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Chidex50(m): 7:49am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaian I beg you all in god's name close up your shops and lock up your borders.

SEE WICKEDNESS FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRY MEN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Coldie(m): 7:49am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?
nigeria is one of the freeest countries in the world. U would go to abuja and illegal immigrant from niger go dae challange u for fight, and hausa people would support him

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by kelitacliff(m): 7:50am On Aug 17, 2020
goshen26:
This mind of "we both own this place" syndrome is disturbing my brothers from the East.

It is not a sin to be a pilgrim in a foreign land, but never assume or think that the place is urs.

God always bless people in a foreign land because they leave the comfort of their fatherland to seek for food. You can check the Bible to prove my claim.

But you not obeying simple order is not too good.

Another thing with Ibos is this natural pride. I laugh at them here in lagos when I see the ones they newly brought from the village trying to cajole me in lagos here. The way they walk also show this pride, especially the uneducated ones.

My observation tho
So in summary every shop owner in Ghana is an igbo man

3 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by OlaPhils(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2020
They should just come back home, there are spaces in Ibadan , osun state , osun state where they can establish .
There are lots of Ghanaians whom i use to know living in Ibadan, some taxi driver, some gate men and some sell banku at night, no one trouble or disturb them.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by RPG2020(m): 7:56am On Aug 17, 2020
If Nigeria good who be Ghana?
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Newboss(m): 7:57am On Aug 17, 2020
Judolisco:
If Nigeria stops d supply of gas now una go start dey cry ecowas... Na my president I blame

The gas is not free. Ghana buy gas from Nigeria. You cut supply, you lose revenue

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 7:58am On Aug 17, 2020
SmartPolician:

Brother, Nigeria is a useless country. Everywhere you go, you see a countless number of Nigerians trading and doing other things to survive

If this country worked, nobody would be in a hurry to leave. Nobody likes to be insulted and disrespect in faraway lands.

If you go to any embassy in Nigeria, you will see hundreds in queue to leave the country. I don't know where we got the mentality of running away from our country whereas we can demand that our leaders do what is right.

Almost every young person has been made to believe that immediately you leave Nigeria, you have made it in life as if money grew on trees elsewhere in the world.

Migration is allowed. Even since the Bible times. People migrate not because of their bad government alone.

There are so many Europeans and Americans in northern Nigeria who lives there doing farm businesses.

Their countries are beautiful but they still migrate.

China is a beautiful country but their citizens are all over the world doing business in people's countries just like Americans.

The same Ghanaians are in other people's countries doing business to survive too.

4 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by emapeteum(m): 7:59am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine it
The western nations you mention are rich already.Nations are set up to protect their citizen and provide economic means for their survival.Don't condemn others for being objective, to a large degree, in their submission.You don't go another man's land en mass and dominate their local markets and expect the government of that country to keep quite.Why do you think UK pull out of EU?Let's make points devoid of sentiment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by VerifiedStalin: 7:59am On Aug 17, 2020
goshen26:
This mind of "we both own this place" syndrome is disturbing my brothers from the East.

It is not a sin to be a pilgrim in a foreign land, but never assume or think that the place is urs.

God always bless people in a foreign land because they leave the comfort of their fatherland to seek for food. You can check the Bible to prove my claim.

Another thing with Ibos is this natural pride. I laugh at them here in lagos when I see the ones they newly brought from the village trying to cajole me in lagos here. The way they walk also show this pride, especially the uneducated ones.

My observation tho

Such a foolish post. Bro, your hatred towards Igbos is preventing you from reasoning like an intelligent person. Where is it written that it's only the Igbo traders that are affected

This is exactly what happened in South Africa. A lot of yorubas like you were laughing at Igbos, until it was revealed that half of the displaced Nigerian traders were from South West.

Stop casting aspersions when your own house is on fire. Grow up.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Newboss(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

The other side is that Ghanaians want Nigerians to pay their government $1million dollars each, before they can sale even Nokia Lumia battery.

Where did you get this information from? $1m will buy you residency in at least two different countries in Europe, and a Caribbean citizenship. That $1m talk is definitely not true.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Timmzycul11: 8:02am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

The other side is that Ghanaians want Nigerians to pay their government $1million dollars each, before they can sale even Nokia Lumia battery.

True talk
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 8:03am On Aug 17, 2020
EmagNig:
Ghanaian authorities have stated the reason who some shops belonging to Nigerian traders in the country were locked up over the weekend.

In an interview with Starr News, Boakye Boateng, the head of communications in the country’s trade ministry said it would be unfair for the Nigerian traders to complain of insensitivity.

He further alleged that the traders were pardoned for over a year following the intervention of President Nana Akufo-Addo.
Boateng said;

https://lailasnews.com/why-we-locked-up-shops-of-some-nigerian-traders-ghanaian-authorities/

“It cannot be that we’ve been insensitive. If that is what they’re saying, I’ll be disappointed because I’ll rather say they have rather been unfair to us as a regulatory body because we have given them more time than enough to the extent even the Ghanaians thought that the ministry was not on their side or the ministry wasn’t ready to even enforce law.

“So, it’s very surprising to me for them to say that we’ve not given them enough time. If you recall as far back as December last year, these shops were locked, the president intervened and we asked that the shops be re-opened because the very law that gives GUTA the right to be the sole traders in our market, that same law requires that a certain group of people are those who can go and do law enforcement and not you, so allow us to do our work.

“They complied, the shops were opened. Since then we have given them an opportunity to regularise the document and submit it to us for verification, that has not been done. Now, this exercise started from Abossey-Okai on Monday. Because we have never been to Abossey-Okai for this exercise, when we went there we did not just start locking shops. We went there, we inspected the shops and we gave them notices that in 14-days they should ensure that all their necessary documentations be complete. These people have been served notices for over a year now.”

This is arrant nonsense that can be conjured by idiotic Africans. This law is very discriminatory and Ghana as a country should not be allowed to get away with it. If this draconian law came out of RSA during Botha regime, the moronic Ghanaians would have been shouting apartheid. Can Ghana cough out $1 million for anything talk less of petty traders. Africans should treat Ghana citizens in the same manner they treated Africans in Ghana. I had a plan to invest in Tema, Ghana, now it is on hold.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by joxxy01(m): 8:03am On Aug 17, 2020
A Time will come, NIGERIA will be a force to reckon with Globally.... Its coming Soon

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by solaere(m): 8:04am On Aug 17, 2020
when enough sense is not gathered from home you'll be taught from outside...
Ghana please enforce your law duely they thought its home where b/c works ..... .
b/c bribery nd curroption
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by slowice(m): 8:05am On Aug 17, 2020
goshen26:

My observation tho

Oga you are just being petty..... For an educated man to talk this way is really sad. You want them to act timid because they are "they re newly brought from the village"? Really? A nigerian feeling at home in Nigeria has now become a bad thing and even seen as pride.

" the way they walk show pride" bros what kind of statement is this? Should they change their step because they are in your state? Oga nothing is wrong with them it's just you that expects them to act timid that's disappointed by their boldness so pls stop calling them proud. Lagos doesn't belong to your family, we will all die and the land will remain where it is.

Imagine an American from Newyork saying an American from taxas should behave in a certain way because he came to Newyork to live and do business... Expecting him to talk and walk in a certain way because he shouldn't be proud in Newyork since he is not from there. Are we really normal in this country? This is witchcraft

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 8:08am On Aug 17, 2020
weyreypey:
Igbos should learn how to respect the laws of the place they dwell

I suggest you shut your putrid mouth. Is the so-called law also applicable to Ghanaians? Where was the mention of Igbo in the saga? You are one of the bloody reasons Nigeria is a joke. Without junks such as you, Nigeria would have been a basket of virtues.

5 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2020
emapeteum:

The western nations you mention are rich already.Nations are set up to protect their citizen and provide economic means for their survival.Don't condemn others for being objective, to a large degree, in their submission.You don't go another man's land en mass and dominate their local markets and expect the government of that country to keep quite.Why do you think UK pull out of EU?Let's make points devoid of sentiment.

600 shops out of 10,000 shops is domination? How come Indians and Europeans are owning so many electronic shops in Nigeria. Are we to say Nigerian government are stupid to allow people to migrate to our country too?

6 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Jaqenhghar: 8:09am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine it
In every country peole put their citizens first. So because you people dont value yourselves you expect it to be the same everywhere you go?

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Jaqenhghar: 8:11am On Aug 17, 2020
The Ghanaians are even polite and accomodating sef. They didnt kill anyone and even made arrangements for negotiations una still dey complain. As if its easy doing business back home.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by topboss: 8:12am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:12am On Aug 17, 2020
EmagNig:
Ghanaian authorities have stated the reason who some shops belonging to Nigerian traders in the country were locked up over the weekend.

In an interview with Starr News, Boakye Boateng, the head of communications in the country’s trade ministry said it would be unfair for the Nigerian traders to complain of insensitivity.

He further alleged that the traders were pardoned for over a year following the intervention of President Nana Akufo-Addo.

Boateng said;

https://lailasnews.com/why-we-locked-up-shops-of-some-nigerian-traders-ghanaian-authorities/

I support the Ghanaian government 1000% why is it only Nigerian shops and shut down all over the world. Just to look at South Africa India Zambia Botswana Kenya Rwanda Malawi Tanzania China Russia Italy Spain Portugal why are they shutting Nigerian shops in all of countries this really is very clean Nigerians in this countries are criminals they go to a country they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal to lead them. If America Europe is the same with Nigerians what's the code to the country less than a year later they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal to lead them in another man's land. Illiteracy stupidity is a problem with we Nigerians. Nigerians will you run away from the country knowing a Nigerian can do nothing for them as bitter did they get to another man's land they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 8:12am On Aug 17, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

In every country peole put their citizens first. So because you people dont value yourselves you expect it to be the same everywhere you go?
then Ghanaians should recall their own citizens in other people's countries, cos it's hypocritical to be in another person's country when you don't want them in yours

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by topboss: 8:12am On Aug 17, 2020
If they have 1m dollars then wat are they doing in Ghana?

Ghanians are criminals, i have always known that.

Trying to force struggling Nigerians to be hushpuppi, after they ask why?

4 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Sofistcatdmoron: 8:13am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaian I beg you all in god's name close up your shops and lock up your borders.

Lies, Afonja moronic people plenty for ghana

Amotekunous coneheaded structures

5 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by ddeola: 8:13am On Aug 17, 2020
What documentation? The details of this post is not complete o. undecided undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae / Onitsha River Port Has Been Concessioned. / Five PDP Governors​ Join Sheriff's Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.