Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,891 members, 7,828,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders (30686 Views)

IPOB Invades Shops Of Those Who Disobeyed Sit-At-Home Order, Scatters Goods / We Locked Down For Covid,we Will Lock Down For Kanu / Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 17, 2020
Chidex50:

SEE WICKEDNESS FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRY MEN.
I don't like people that put Nigerians in bad reputation.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by temptnow: 8:35am On Aug 17, 2020
emapeteum:

The shops own by the Indians and Europeans in Nigeria employs Nigerians and pay tax to Nigerian government,not petty shops where no citizen of the host country is/are employed and also known to evade tax.

Then go and watch the recent Videos from Ghana, where one of the Nigerian man said his staff are Ghanaians.

In South Africa, South Africans were the workers at the shops

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Newboss(m): 8:37am On Aug 17, 2020
Judolisco:
we r talking about stamping our sovereignty and might in west Africa ... You talking about business... No correlation whatsoever

There's nothing to stamp by cutting sales. You will be the ultimate loser. Detach emotions from business.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by honorsam(m): 8:38am On Aug 17, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Nobody is obligated to accomodate you sorry. Their country their laws. So your neighbour who has 12 children can send like 6 of them to your house to live and eat because you are one abi
Watch the videos well bro,u will understand better.
They had their shops accessed and taxed still went ahead to close them because of the GIPC law that they must provide $1m,haba!
Dont be clouded in your sense of judgement.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by honorsam(m): 8:40am On Aug 17, 2020
FacelessKing:

Cow, I'm married to a Ghanaian and have lived in Accra for 5 years.

These guys were given a very long time to process their resident permit and get a business operating license...

They cant get a permit because most do not even own a passport.

So cow, shut up

Those are not the issue, providing $1m is the issue bro

4 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Simbrixton(m): 8:41am On Aug 17, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Nobody is obligated to accomodate you sorry. Their country their laws. So your neighbour who has 12 children can send like 6 of them to your house to live and eat because you are one abi
there is no space in lagos dey must stay dere
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by bejick(m): 8:41am On Aug 17, 2020
goshen26:
This mind of "we both own this place" syndrome is disturbing my brothers from the East.

It is not a sin to be a pilgrim in a foreign land, but never assume or think that the place is urs.

God always bless people in a foreign land because they leave the comfort of their fatherland to seek for food. You can check the Bible to prove my claim.

But you not obeying simple order is not too good.

Another thing with Ibos is this natural pride. I laugh at them here in lagos when I see the ones they newly brought from the village trying to cajole me in lagos here. The way they walk also show this pride, especially the uneducated ones.

My observation tho

Why will they not be proud since they can come to your fathers compound and buy it over to build Mansions and Plazas, while you take to under bridge in Oshodi, Ojulegba and Obalende to be collecting N20 for poor drivers and Okadas. You are just nothing but a pained low life nigga. You will still be under bridge and the same small boy of yday will make. You guys will never learn. Igbos are not you peoples problem rather LAZINESS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by phoenix911: 8:48am On Aug 17, 2020
FacelessKing:
It is illegal to Trade in a foreign Country with just a Visitor's permit.

You did the right thing Ghana.

Why is that they are systematically targeting Nigerians shops with law that never seen in any country of the world. They are in the right to implement their laws but for them to make laws that doesn't make any sense how can they want foreigner to pay one million dollars for SME if any of them have a million dollars do you think they will leave their country? How many Ghanaian can boost of a million dollars I asked.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Chidex50(m): 8:49am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

I don't like people that put Nigerians in bad reputation.

But no tribe has a monopoly of it!
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Brunosamel(m): 9:02am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

The good ones let them continue to enjoyed their businesses

You are a bigot fool

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Ykc2(m): 9:03am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

his sisters are crying in Lebanon oman syria which we all saw on social media, any way if a South West person tell me anything I will not even look anywhere before replying him,time of Ibadan ogun state press is gone,because of social media we now know that once any oba dies his heart must be eating

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by abu12: 9:04am On Aug 17, 2020
phoenix911:

Why is that they are systematically targeting Nigerians shops with law that never seen in any country of the world. They are in the right to implement their laws but for them to make laws that doesn't make any sense how can they want foreigner to pay one million dollars for SME if any of them have a million dollars do you think they will leave their country? How many Ghanaian can boost of a million dollars I asked.

is it by force to do business in Ghana ? they said they want their citizens to operates SME so as to improve/ encourage the low income earner.. the $1m imposed on foreigners is to discouraged them from going into retailing simple.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by maasoap(m): 9:06am On Aug 17, 2020
backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

What you see below is not a law but a complete discrimination that shouldn't have a place in modern world. Nigeria doesn't have to be like that, it shouldn't be our way at all.
(1) A person who is not a citizen or an enterprise which is not wholly owned by citizen shall not
invest or participate in—
a. the sale of goods or provision of services in a market, petty trading or hawking or selling
of goods in a stall at any place;
b. the operation of taxi or car hire service in an enterprise that has a fleet of less than
twenty-five vehicles;
c. the operation of a beauty salon or a barber shop;
d. the printing of recharge scratch cards for the use of subscribers of telecommunication
services;
e. the production of exercise books and other basic stationery;
f. the retail of finished pharmaceutical products;
g. the production, supply and retail of sachet water; and
h. all aspects of pool betting business and lotteries, except football pool

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

its ipob not iPod , there's no evidence that they evaded tax.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by maasoap(m): 9:08am On Aug 17, 2020
abu12:

is it by force to do business in Ghana ? they said they want their citizens to operates SME so as to improve/ encourage the low income earner.. the $1m imposed on foreigners is to discouraged them from going into retailing simple.

And the irony of it is that if all these foreigners should leave in droves, their economy will feel it

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by PHIPEX(m): 9:11am On Aug 17, 2020
emapeteum:

The shops own by the Indians and Europeans in Nigeria employs Nigerians and pay tax to Nigerian government,not petty shops where no citizen of the host country is/are employed and also known to evade tax.
You are highly miopic, you are cutting your nose to spite your face. Those your relations that travelled abroad, how much did they deposit to the host country?

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by sorepco(m): 9:11am On Aug 17, 2020
It's not about tax Mr man. They r required to drop 450million naira with the Ghanaian treasury! How many Nigerian traders have 1milliin dollars lying in their account?

Onijagidijagan:

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Miracle1991: 9:12am On Aug 17, 2020
Good for them,they thought they are in Nigeria where they will not pay taxes and if you rent a shop for them they will be claiming they own your land. Ghana pls teach them how to respect their landlords. Also I will advise our government to put strict regulations on our retail business and everybody must pay his tax.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by sorepco(m): 9:14am On Aug 17, 2020
What do u mean by law? What kind of ecowas law demand 1million dollars deposit from an ecowas member citizen before trading?

backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by sorepco(m): 9:17am On Aug 17, 2020
What of those who have residency? I can see most people comment without understanding what's going on

FacelessKing:

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Wizzzzmike: 9:21am On Aug 17, 2020
ODJ124:
Ghana is looking for trouble...... When Nigeria respond in kind and over kind..
they we know we are truly the Giant of Africa..
Nigerians gov can't do sh!t....Giant of Africa ass
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Bibina59: 9:34am On Aug 17, 2020
FacelessKing:

I do not understand again. Is Ghana not in West Africa? Does a Nigerian needs visa to live in Ghana? Do Ghanaians obtain permit before residing in Nigeria? I need to know please.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Lajet: 9:35am On Aug 17, 2020
Newboss:

Where did you get this information from? $1m will buy you residency in at least two different countries in Europe, and a Caribbean citizenship. That $1m talk is definitely not true.

The $1 Million Is true
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by craves(m): 9:35am On Aug 17, 2020
I blame our government.
How many Ghanaians living in Nigeria actually have residence permit not to talk of business permit. They do business freely without huge paymentspayments and they don't even pay tax.

If our government lock up 100 Ghanaian business here, I bet you they would call for dialogue

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 9:37am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
then Ghanaians should recall their own citizens in other people's countries, cos it's hypocritical to be in another person's country when you don't want them in yours

The Ghanaians were not only hypocritical in this saga but idiotic.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by ODJ124(m): 9:40am On Aug 17, 2020
Wizzzzmike:

Nigerians gov can't do sh!t....Giant of Africa ass
Wait and see..
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 9:40am On Aug 17, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

In every country peole put their citizens first. So because you people dont value yourselves you expect it to be the same everywhere you go?

The law which is meant to target certain persons has nothing to do with citizen first ideology.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Meto1234(m): 9:47am On Aug 17, 2020
Chaii nigeria done suffer
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Deborah98(f): 9:48am On Aug 17, 2020
MrPsalmist:
I 8-2 see such news
lolzzzzz see you cheesy
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 17, 2020
LandMann:
And they were all crying wolf the other day... Nigerians have killed this country with illegality and corruption and now they want to start exporting it to other nations.

We must all come together to work for the actualisation of a bill prescribing death sentence for corrupt public officials. Please join the conversation here to share your input:

https://www.nairaland.com/6057481/opinion-death-sentence-bill-public
You people don't think before acting. That death sentence bill for public officials, don't you know that in a country like ours it will be used to exterminate members of the opposition, think sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

You people keep saying it's Igbos, exactly what happened in South Africa where we thought it's only Igbos that owns shops there until it turns out there are plenty Yorubas doing business there.

Ghanaians are cunny, how can you be in ECOWAS and through the back doors insert laws that says Nigerians must deposit $1million dollars before they can sale even Nokia battery.

Can the Ghanaians doing business in Nigeria deposit $1million nonrefundable money to our government? Make you get sense that in international law, they don't know tribes if you check Yorubas are there as well

Let's be fair, Nigerians are heavy-weights and come better-funded, so they can corner markets from locals pretty easily. In the end, Ghanian voters have the power to vote in whoever dances to their tune, and no responsible country would allow foreigners put their own local population out of work. What Ghana is doing is not much different from U.K's underlying motives for Brexit. How many Africans dominate Nigerians in most business sectors, especially low-scale retail? I cant think of any.

That said, I do feel empathy for Nigerians affected, and would like to say that this is just one more reason why Nigerians need to realize tat we cannot all run away, and at some point, would need to fix home.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Has 99 Problems, But Twitter Not One Of Them - Fisayo Soyombo (Aljazeera) / Peter Obi Grassroots Evangelism In Kaduna State (Photos) / Buhari Wins Dankwambo’s Polling Unit In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.