Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,990 members, 7,828,498 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders (30691 Views)

IPOB Invades Shops Of Those Who Disobeyed Sit-At-Home Order, Scatters Goods / We Locked Down For Covid,we Will Lock Down For Kanu / Nigerian Traders In Ghana: We Paid $1m Levy Yet Our Shops Were Shut (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 17, 2020
Lajet:

The $1 Million Is true
In Ghana of all places. Tueh. Can't waste that amount on an African country (except Seychelles maybe)

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by POKUASI2: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2020
backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided
Don't believe that crap.. Chinese, Lebanese and Indians are still doing retail.. I'll go round today and take pictures of Chinese in Opera square doing retail

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by seangy4konji: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2020
ok
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by GeneralPula: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

The other side is that[b] Ghanaians want Nigerians to pay their government $1million dollars each, before they can sale even Nokia Lumia battery[/b].

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

shocked

Boss for real?
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by CapitalBank: 9:52am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
No wonder na them ipod the tax evaders

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

The good ones let them continue to enjoyed their businesses

Your hatred for igbos will consume you.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by POKUASI2: 9:54am On Aug 17, 2020
NIGERIANS are the ones targeted.. the Chinese and Lebanese are doing retail trading in the market.. I have pictorial evidence

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by femmyapson(m): 9:58am On Aug 17, 2020
Ugaboy:
nigeria has become a joke for countries, evey1 wants to use us and collect star
------- -----------
you can become an expert in programming from zero knowledge by yourself...the practical steps videos are so self developing even kids from 10years can understand and recall.
biko, how can I start abeg
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Bennysam: 10:04am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Ghanaians you did the right thing. I beg you all in god's name close up all their shops and lock up your borders...they're wired never to pay tax.

Heart attack will kill you and your generation

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by famzynet: 10:04am On Aug 17, 2020
Olalan:
There are always two sides of a story.....can our Nigerian brothers show us evidence of documents that back up their claims to be law abiding. It's plainly stupid to support them if they didn't do due diligence
You don't get it. There is a video circulating where the man showed evidence of tax and registrations . But they want anyone with shop to pay non refundable $1 million dollars. How can they make such demands.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Smartwave: 10:04am On Aug 17, 2020
When you call your country Zoo, everyone treat you as Animals. Ghana well-done.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Smartwave: 10:06am On Aug 17, 2020
famzynet:

You don't get it. There is a video circulating where the man showed evidence of tax and registrations . But they want anyone with shop to pay non refundable $1 million dollars. How can they make such demands.
if that is there law, then obey or quit. Ghana is not Lagos that you refer to as no man's land
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by benebaby77: 10:08am On Aug 17, 2020
backnbeta:
If that's the law and the Nigerian traders are aware, then the Ghanaian authority have done well. I wish our own "people" can protect Nigerians this way as well! It's only in Nigeria that you see foreign Nationals riding okada, buying and selling with Nigerians, picking up fights with Nigerians, without any care at all. It is well undecided

The person is actually lying. I watched a video of an Igbo guy showing all his up to date documents yet the authorities didn't want to listen. The truth is that we have a docile government here....

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 10:13am On Aug 17, 2020
Bagehot:

Let's be fair, Nigerians are heavy-weights and come better-funded, so they can corner markets from locals pretty easily. In the end, Ghanian voters have the power to vote in whoever dances to their tune, and no responsible country would allow foreigners put their own local population out of work. What Ghana is doing is not much different from U.K's underlying motives for Brexit. How many Africans dominate Nigerians in most business sectors, especially low-scale retail? I cant think of any.

That said, I do feel empathy for Nigerians affected, and would like to say that this is just one more reason why Nigerians need to realize tat we cannot all run away, and at some point, would need to fix home.

What has Nigeria's entrepreneurship got to do with corruptible practice that engendered this draconian regulation or law in Ghana? Ghanaian actions stem out of jealousy and hatred or borderline laziness.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Cousin9999: 10:14am On Aug 17, 2020
With everything going on, this is just wrong. And it reeks of some nasty rivalry. Who are they ignoring as they target Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MrAkata: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2020
slowice:

Oga you are just being petty..... For an educated man to talk this way is really sad. You want them to act timid because they are "they re newly brought from the village"? Really? A nigerian feeling at home in Nigeria has now become a bad thing and even seen as pride.

" the way they walk show pride" bros what kind of statement is this? Should they change their step because they are in your state? Oga nothing is wrong with them it's just you that expects them to act timid that's disappointed by their boldness so pls stop calling them proud. Lagos doesn't belong to your family, we will all die and the land will remain where it is.

Imagine an American from Newyork saying an American from taxas should behave in a certain way because he came to Newyork to live and do business...[/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size] Expecting him to talk and walk in a certain way because he shouldn't be proud in Newyork since he is not from there. Are we really normal in this country? This is witchcraft

You've obviously never been to Texas.
A new Yorker will definitely behave accordingly if he travels to Texas
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Lajet: 10:25am On Aug 17, 2020
SegFault:

In Ghana of all places. Tueh. Can't waste that amount on an African country (except Seychelles maybe)

The truth is that Ghana government knows that no Nigeria will be willing to pay $1 Million to do small business. there aim is to discourage Nigerians not to engage in any business in Ghana. I don't blame ghana i rather blame our government for allowing Ghaninans to be doing business in Nigeria. According to Ghana government last year there are over one million Ghanians living in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by smileyoo: 10:28am On Aug 17, 2020
but why must Ghanaians be demanding such a huge amount of $1 millions from nigerians, before they can be allowed to do business in Ghana ?
are Ghanaians in Nigeria paying such ridiculous amount to do business in Nigeria ?
it's a shame that some nigerians can still support such evil law from Ghana authorities.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by OgbeniSamm(m): 10:28am On Aug 17, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

What kind of reasoning is this? I'm a Yoruba person but I think this comment by you shows you have a serious problem and if you don't fix it, it will be hard for you to attain success in life. What kind of hatred and ethnic animosity is this?

3 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:35am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:
Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

If UK, Europe, Canada and USA should put this kind of Ghana law into work that anyone who wants to do retail business must pay $1million dollars before they can open, do you think even Ghanaians or any other countries can travel to someone else ground?

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine your relatives that will be affected

You are very correct.

THERE ARE CHRONIC AND FOOLISH TRIBALISTS HOVERING AROUND EVERY THREAD THAT HITS FRONT PAGE ON NAIRALAND.

CC: Simplyleo AKA Ijawwomaninoyo, bighead9, arrewa, helinues

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by SmartPolician: 10:37am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

Migration is allowed. Even since the Bible times. People migrate not because of their bad government alone.

There are so many Europeans and Americans in northern Nigeria who lives there doing farm businesses.

Their countries are beautiful but they still migrate.

China is a beautiful country but their citizens are all over the world doing business in people's countries just like Americans.

The same Ghanaians are in other people's countries doing business to survive too.

We all know that Nigeria's case is peculiar

Most people run away because of bad governance and in search of greener pastures
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by emapeteum(m): 10:38am On Aug 17, 2020
PHIPEX:
You are highly miopic, you are cutting your nose to spite your face. Those your relations that travelled abroad, how much did they deposit to the host country?

Sorry my brother, you don't have to be abusive if you have a different opinion from others.Your response seem irrelevant,pls check your spellings.My people travelling abroad are skilled workers, not petty shop owners to compete with the locals.I can really see that you are not all that informed.
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 17, 2020
Lajet:

The truth is that Ghana government knows that no Nigeria will be willing to pay $1 Million to do small business. there aim is to discourage Nigerians not to engage in any business in Ghana. I don't blame ghana i rather blame our government for allowing Ghaninans to be doing business in Nigeria. According to Ghana government last year there are over one million Ghanians living in Nigeria.
Well, that's their business. Soon I'll be gone, I don't care
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Ugaboy: 10:41am On Aug 17, 2020
femmyapson:
biko, how can I start abeg
drop me message on whatsapp or call
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 10:46am On Aug 17, 2020
OgbeniSamm:

What kind of reasoning is this? I'm a Yoruba person but I think this comment by you shows you have a serious problem and if you don't fix it, it will be hard for you to attain success in life. What kind of hatred and ethnic animosity is this?

I guess such idiotic stream of thought is one reason among many reasons Ndigbo agitate for independent country. Ghana would not have acted in this silly manner to citizens of Republic of Igbo Land because of the diplomatic fallout it will generate. Ghanaian actions were not targeted to Igbo traders alone.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by nokingasgod: 10:46am On Aug 17, 2020
Can somebody please confirm with proof this $1m deposit crap please. Are sure its USD 1 MILLION or Naira or Cedi? Apart from Nigerian politician, USD1 MILLION is hard to come by even among US citizens...

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Lajet: 10:47am On Aug 17, 2020
POKUASI2:
Don't believe that crap.. Chinese, Lebanese and Indians are still doing retail.. I'll go round today and take pictures of Chinese in Opera square doing retail

Don't mind them even in Spintex Rd and shoprite there are many labanese that owns shops

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Originalsly: 10:47am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

Nigerian government dey fck up, that's why I'm missing Obasanjo right now. In international relations retaliation is allowed.

There's a Ghanaian man on my street that owns a restaurant, his Ghanaian wife owns a provision store 2 street away from us here in Lagos.

Government need to tell them to provide the same $1million dollars before they can sale even nasco biscuit.

But unfortunately we have the dumbest government. But until we citizens descend on these Ghanaians ourselves.

Migration is allowed since the Bible times. There are Americans and Europeans doing businesses here. Selling phones, laptops, restaurants and even supermarkets. They are here not because their government or country is bad. They're here cos migration is what people do. Ghanaians are in other people's countries what are they doing to pay rent and feed, I will like to know

Some people above wants to paint tribes on the situation, let's just imagine western countries put these kind of law in their countries. Pay $1million nonrefundable fee before you can start a barbing salon to survive there. Just imagine your relatives that will be affected

No doubt.... the US$1M fee imposed on certain foreign businesses is discriminatory... and based on small businesses run by Nigerians. My problem is why didn't the Nigerian business owners not organize and meet with the Nigerian foreign affairs ministry to intercede and have that aspect of the law reviewed? Ghana will be forced to compromise due to fear of retaliation by Nigeria and other ECOWAS doing same. I guess.... as the man in the video demonstrated... they believe such a law can never be enforced. As it is.... Ghana had the right to enforce its laws.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by EmagNig(m): 10:49am On Aug 17, 2020
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

I support the Ghanaian government 1000% why is it only Nigerian shops and shut down all over the world. Just to look at South Africa India Zambia Botswana Kenya Rwanda Malawi Tanzania China Russia Italy Spain Portugal why are they shutting Nigerian shops in all of countries this really is very clean Nigerians in this countries are criminals they go to a country they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal to lead them. If America Europe is the same with Nigerians what's the code to the country less than a year later they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal to lead them in another man's land. Illiteracy stupidity is a problem with we Nigerians. Nigerians will you run away from the country knowing a Nigerian can do nothing for them as bitter did they get to another man's land they want to vote for a Nigerian criminal

Can you please rephrase?
Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 17, 2020
Dedetwo:

What has Nigeria's entrepreneurship got to do with corruptible practice that engendered this draconian regulation or law in Ghana? Ghanaian actions stem out of jealousy and hatred or borderline laziness.

At the end of the day, Ghana is for Ghanians, and its in their right and interest to keep it that way. We are guests in Ghana, no matter how we try to twist it, and as the saying goes "Feel at home, no mean say make Visitor carry remote".

2 Likes

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by goooze(m): 10:55am On Aug 17, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
temptnow:

It's this type reasoning that still give me hope of a better future for the younger generation and all these kids that doesn't process information well in their brain before dishing out rubbish.God bless you my brother for this comment.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by goooze(m): 11:11am On Aug 17, 2020
temptnow:

You people keep saying it's Igbos, exactly what happened in South Africa where we thought it's only Igbos that owns shops there until it turns out there are plenty Yorubas doing business there.

Ghanaians are cunny, how can you be in ECOWAS and through the back doors insert laws that says Nigerians must deposit $1million dollars before they can sale even Nokia battery.

Can the Ghanaians doing business in Nigeria deposit $1million nonrefundable money to our government? Make you get sense that in international law, they don't know tribes if you check Yorubas are there as well
To whom brain is given common sense is expected however, it's also sad that common sense is not common. Youth that call themselves leaders of tomorrow can't even extricate themselves from bigotry. Bigotry doesn't allow the youth to demand for good leadership from these expired crops of leaders that we presently have in this country. Pardon me I've forgotten that you can't give what you don't have. How can the youth demand for good leadership when they don't know that bigotry is an attribute of a bad leadership. We are talking about a senseless law in Ghana and some people are here talking about tribe that is been affected most without seeing the fact that the law is targeted mainly at Nigerians irrespective of the tribe Get it straight Ghanaian hate Nigerians because of our guts and prowess. Honestly most youth in Nigeria need a brain reset.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: Why We Locked Up Shops Of Some Nigerian Traders by Dedetwo(m): 11:21am On Aug 17, 2020
Bagehot:

At the end of the day, Ghana is for Ghanians, and its in their right and interest to keep it that way. We are guests in Ghana, no matter how we try to twist it, and as the saying goes "Feel at home, no mean say make Visitor carry remote".

Being guest in anybody's country does not diminish the simple decency accorded to every human being. Ghanaians are guests to many countries of world and should not be happy if treated in this shabby manner. This simple action by moronic leaders in Ghana will have adversarial consequences against the citizens of Ghana outside their country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

EndSARS Protesters Shut Down Iwo Road, Causing Gridlock / ‘You are Inflicting Hardship On Nigerians’, PDP Tells Buhari / Senate Passes Maritime University bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.