Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,575 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano (38503 Views)

UNICEF Kicks: 13-Year-Old Omar Farouq Sentenced To 10 Years Jail For Blasphemy / Teenage Boy Jailed For Life For Stabbing Nigerian To Death In London. Photo / Nigerian Boy Jailed For Carrying Out Acid Attack Robberies In London. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by dre11(m): 8:40am On Aug 17, 2020
Blasphemy: US agency kicks as Kano court jails 13-year-old boy for 10 years

Eniola Akinkuotu, Adelani Adepegba and Oladimeji Ramon

THE United States Commission on International Religious Freedom has faulted the judgment of an Upper Sharia Court in Kano State sentencing a 13-year-old boy, Umar Farouq, to 10 years in prison for making derogatory statements toward Allah in an argument with a friend.

Farouq was convicted on August 10, 202o, by Aliyu Kanu, the same judge who sentenced a Musician, Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, to death for blaspheming Prophet Mohammed.

Baba-Jibo Ibrahim, spokesman for Kano Region Justice Ministry, said the court handed down the death sentence as enshrined in Islamic laws based on irrefutable evidence and the convict’s admission of guilt.

The PUNCH reports that although Farouq is a minor by Nigerian law and should not have been tried as an adult, Islamic canons regard anyone who has begun puberty as an adult.

Kano, a predominantly Muslim northern Nigerian state, has Islamic Sharia courts that function alongside civil courts and introduced Sharia law in 2000.

But the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom has condemned the blasphemy laws in Nigeria.

The USCIRF is an independent, bipartisan Federal Government entity established by the US Congress to monitor, analyse, and report threats to religious freedom abroad.

In a statement in reaction to the judgment, the US commission condemned the death sentence handed to Sharif-Aminu for allegedly insulting the Prophet Mohammed.

USCIRF Commissioner, Frederick Davie, stated, “It is unconscionable that Sharif-Aminu is facing a death sentence merely for expressing his beliefs artistically through music. The US Senate should work swiftly to pass Resolution 458, which calls for the global repeal of heresy, blasphemy, and apostasy laws.”

Also, the President of the African Bar Association, Mr Hannibal Uwaifo, described the verdict on Farouq as unconstitutional, calling on the Attorney General of the Federation to stop the Sharia court from making a mockery of Nigerian on the international scene.

Uwaifo said, “I call on the Attorney General of the Federation to step in and to stop this kind of sectional court from making mockery of Nigeria. This is a country where people are stealing billions of naira and being given a pat on the back; then you say someone committed blasphemy, according to your own religion, and then you sentence him to death or sentence a teenager to 10 years’ imprisonment. I think we should stop making a laughing stock.”

In the same vein, two civil society groups have condemned the Shari’a court verdict.

Nigeria is on the edge of bankruptcy
The Convener, Coalition in Defence of Democracy and Constitution, Ariyo-Dare Atoye, said, “What is coming out of Kano is a challenge to section 10 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended. We know that the current Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, is more or less not interested in the secularity of this country.

“What is going on in Kano is an attempt to restructure Nigeria through the back door to create a two-nation in one because the message they are sending to the international community is that there is a part of the country operating a different legal system.”

Speaking in the same vein, the National Coordinator, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, Emmanuel Onwubiko, said the judjement did not conform with human rights conventions and treaties to which Nigeria was a signatory.

He stated, “Section 10 of the constitution prohibits the elevation of any religion as a state religion, so the Kano State government does not have the constitutional rights to legislate Islam as a state religion.”

SOURCE

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Amotolongbo(f): 8:46am On Aug 17, 2020
Farouq was convicted on August 10, 202o, by Aliyu Kanu, the same judge who sentenced a Musician, Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, to death for blaspheming Prophet Mohammed.
Imagine this dumb minds killing for the same god that can’t kill those that are killing them in their land daily.

Thank God I wasn’t born there in Kano, I would have been executed a very long time ago

288 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Nbotee(m): 8:49am On Aug 17, 2020
What I dont understand is why d sharia law supersedes the constitution of the Federal Republic. Is there a special sharia jail or he'll still be confined to Nigerian Prisons facility? Last I remember a 10yr old is underaged and Nigerian Prisons were set up by the constitution not sharia

230 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 17, 2020
I swear down these people are animals
Watch Buhari promote that judge to the supreme court before 2023

188 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 17, 2020
North disgust me.

Islam irritates me.

I spits on their Sharia law. angry

334 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Marine54(m): 9:02am On Aug 17, 2020
Nbotee:
What I dont understand is why d sharia law supersedes the constitution of the Federal Republic. Is there a special sharia jail or he'll still be confined to Nigerian Prisons facility? Last I remember a 10yr old is underaged and Nigerian Prisons were set up by the constitution not sharia
Pls where is freedom of speech that is enshrined in 1999 constitutiona?? This people are fast working towards total Islamization this country...

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by osemoses1234(m): 9:07am On Aug 17, 2020
Naija don red

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Marine54(m): 9:25am On Aug 17, 2020
TheRealProphet:
North disgust me.

Islam irritates me.

I spits on their Sharia law. angry
grin grin grin grin

22 Likes

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Mayannar(m): 9:27am On Aug 17, 2020
I don't know that reason why I damn dislike these guys... and why the hell would you sentence a 10yrs old kid? that's totally insane.

and so these international guys even know we pet these billions thieves... Ain't these nincompoops at the federal government ashamed... wtf??

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Opexzy: 9:29am On Aug 17, 2020
It's a waste of time and stupidity for you to kill and jail on behalf of a God that you claimed to be the most powerful and creator of heaven and earth

It's either everything you are preaching about that God is nothing but a fiction passed on from one generation to another or you don't know the God at all which makes you a beast and a terrorist.

Killing for the God that can't kill the terrorists and bandits ravaging your land is simply insane.

103 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by juvewalex(m): 9:42am On Aug 17, 2020
Is it possible to jail an under age child not to talk of Sharia court being superior to Nigerian judiciary backed by our constitution , what's really happening in that North ?

These things will consume them in years to come and hopefully, the country would've been disintegrated before that time. All their leaders are keeping mute now .

38 Likes

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by vanunu: 10:08am On Aug 17, 2020
juvewalex:
Is it possible to jail an under age child not to talk of Sharia court being superior to Nigerian judiciary backed by our constitution , what's really happening in that North ?

These things will consume them in years to come and hopefully, the country would've been disintegrated before that time. All their leaders are keeping mute now .

It is now clear that Boko Haram and these people are the same.

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by saaron(m): 10:39am On Aug 17, 2020
Has anyone ever stop for a minute to wonder why islamist extremists and terrorism is on the rise in Nigeria since buhari assume power in 2015? Why state sponsored genocide against non muslims is on the increase nationwide? Why are these terrible things happening? Don't you think these are signs? Signs that we're not one? Signs that its time for us to Disintegrate? We cannot afford to let this continue any longer. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is TOTAL madness!
The time has come for us in Middle belt and Southern Nigeria to disintegrate from the satanic union. Let's stop deceiving ourselves foolishly with terms like 'One Nigeria.' It's nothing but a bloody lie. There's nothing like One Nigeria. We can all see the proves via actions of Northern religious fundamentalists.

North have no problem to institute an ancient barbaric law with a religous police (Hisbah Sharia police) with powers to arrest people. An act that's at variance with the 1999 constitution of Nigeria. While the same North will unleash their demonic fangs on Southern states for setting up security outfits to protect lives and properties from genocidal fulani terrorists.
They are taking us like fools and indeed we're fools. But can we afford to be fools forever?
The time to Disintegrate from North is NOW!!

Those who have eyes and ears, let them hear.

DISINTEGRATION OF NIGERIA WILL SAVE MILLIONS OF LIVES FROM ISLAMIC/FULANI TERRORISM!! SUPPORT IT

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Judybash93(m): 12:00pm On Aug 17, 2020
WTF did i just read? What is going on in this country?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by History555: 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2020
Does nigeria have prison for juveniles abi na adults prison the guy go stay

8 Likes

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by helinues: 12:30pm On Aug 17, 2020
It seems North are getting crazy with this religion stuffs

Let me ask again, is your God disable that it can fight for itself?

Abi na audio God?

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by saaron(m): 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2020
Nbotee:
To Northerners, Sharia law is superior to Nigeria's 1999 constitution. The earlier Middle Beltans and Southerners realize this truth, the better.

DISINTEGRATION OF NIGERIA WILL SAVE MILLIONS OF LIVES FROM ISLAMIC/FULANI TERRORISM!! SUPPORT IT.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Captainrambo2: 12:51pm On Aug 17, 2020
Muslims na problem fir this world ooo

Hmmm

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Captainrambo2: 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2020
helinues:
It seems North are getting crazy with this religion stuffs

Let me ask again, is your God disable that it can fight for itself?

Abi na audio God?
you re neither here nor there.

Its seems one of your parents is a Muslim while the other is a christian undecided undecided

26 Likes

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Acidosis(m): 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
In Kano, you can't talk or have an opinion about Islam or Allah if you're a Christian but right here in the South, a Muslim can be made to head the board of trustee of Living Faith Church worldwide

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by BOFA2020: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
Rubbish judgment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by MsAllison(f): 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
God keep punishing lord lugard

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Orphan1: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
someone hear my cry out please am in danger of collapsing any moment from now if I don't eat 3108547507 first bank

2 Likes

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Kinematics: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
It shall not be well with the British and Nnamdi Azikiwe.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by ForeThinker: 1:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
undecided
Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
Hypocritical judgement. Don't they have 13 year old at home or they skipped that age when they were growing up

1 Like

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by MsAllison(f): 1:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
Acidosis:

In Kano, you can't talk or have an opinion about Islam or Allah if you're a Christian but right here in the South, a Muslim can be made to head the board of trustee of Living Faith Church worldwide
seriously?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
Aboki will fight on behalf of his Arabian god when his god is supposedly wronged then call on the same defenceless god to save him when the Aboki is wronged.

If your god is as powerful as you claim, he should be perfectly capable of fighting his battles on his own.

Nonsense and religion

27 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ekpoma Students Beat "Policeman" Who Jumped Over A Fence Into Their Hostel / Precious Chineme Nwoko Drug Dealer Put 2 Australian Women In Jail / Flood Carries 2 Persons At UNN, Nsukka, Kills Them (Graphic Photo)s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.