Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election (60980 Views)

Kaduna: Tribunal Nullifies Uba Sani's Election - Isa Ashiru / Bayelsa Governorship: Crowd Welcome David Lyon To Bayelsa / PDP 'll Lose Bayelsa Governorship Poll To APC, Says Timi Frank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by garfield1: 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2020
AAA593:

This is it

This is fresh elections not a rerun oh.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2020
apache22b:
Alright

Please can we take this a little further please

Why don't you simply start prostrating and rolling on the ground for her — a la that other guy in that video clip that went viral? Surely that should win you worldwide acclaim? wink

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by garfield1: 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2020
AAA593:

I'm in yenagoa nothing is happening anywhere except a few APC supporters celebrating. APC stands disqualified

Why are you afraid of apc participating?
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Ayed44: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2020
unitysheart:

Ask him if the party that won at the tribunal had a candidate on the nullified ballot. Also, tell him that parties will also be able to substitute candidates.
The party that won at the tribunal had a candidate in the election, that's why they approached the tribunal. There cannot be a new nomination in a rerun election.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by SaintLucia: 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
davibid:

No sir, He won’t be part of the rerun because he and his deputy have been disqualified by court.
The governor can't appeal cos the case is between that small party, tribunal and INEC not PDP. The only person that can appeal the case is INEC and APC will participate in a fresh election by substituting the name of their deputy like the supreme court ruling of the former Bauchi state governor who won election but the supreme court nullified his victory for presenting a deputy that forged his certificate and order for a fresh election. The ex Bauchi state governor presented a new deputy, contested and won the fresh election. I'm very sure you were young then to know this history. Mary Odili wuruwuru ruling can't stand. grin

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Johnnyessence(m): 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
APC was nullified from participating in the election based on the ineligibility of the running mate to the candidate. Even if INEC will organize another election, that ruling still stands cos no party will be allowed to make any substitution to the candidate or running mate already fielded.
The only solution for APC to win Bayelsa State is to sponsor a mushroom party candidate to win the election and then defect to APC afterwards. That may be practically impossible using a mushroom party to win.
In short, PDP still remains the party to beat cos there won’t be APC participating in the election.

2 Likes

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
joyandfaith:

is it possible to change deputy during rerun?

Again, it's a Fresh Election, not a rerun, just like others have been saying. Big difference.

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Ategberoson(m): 2:56pm On Aug 17, 2020
SaintLucia:
The governor can't appeal cos the case is between that small party, tribunal and INEC not PDP. The only person that can appeal the case is INEC and APC will participate in a fresh election by substituting the name of their deputy like the supreme court ruling of the former Bauchi state governor who won election but the supreme court nullified his victory for presenting a deputy that forged his certificate and order for a fresh election. The ex Bauchi state governor presented a new deputy, contested and won the fresh election. I'm very sure you were young then to know this history. grin

I'm not a PDP and APC fan, I'm just airing my own view and as you said we are here to learn more

that I don't know much about the Ex Bauchi Governor you said doesn't make you older than me

I put my interest whatsoever thing I wish to, so take time when throwing tantrum, you can't win me if you start

2 Likes

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Legit7: 2:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
Cyberterror:
David Lyon will surely reclaim his stolen mandate. Ahead ahead.

Which mandate? was it that of the people's vote or the one that was stolen for him.

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by SaintLucia: 2:59pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ategberoson:

I'm not a PDP and APC fan, I'm just airing my own view and as you said we are here to learn more

that I don't know much about the Ex Bauchi Governor you said doesn't make you older than me

I put my interest whatsoever thing I want to, so take time when throwing tantrum, you can't win me if you start
I'm telling you cos there was a similar case like that in case you come across it in your WAEC grin

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 3:00pm On Aug 17, 2020
SaintLucia:
The governor can't appeal cos the case is between that small party, tribunal and INEC not PDP. The only person that can appeal the case is INEC and APC will participate in a fresh election by substituting the name of their deputy like the supreme court ruling of the former Bauchi state governor who won election but the supreme court nullified his victory for presenting a deputy that forged his certificate and order for a fresh election. The ex Bauchi state governor presented a new deputy, contested and won the fresh election. I'm very sure you were young then to know this history. grin

This is brilliant and reference worthy.

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by ryloy: 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2020
SaintLucia:
God bless you
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 3:12pm On Aug 17, 2020
Champneys:

You are a fu....cking vacuous troglodyte.

The governor can appeal and he has already instructed his lawyers to commence that process.

Fu...cking airhead, stop misleading people on SM!

Why are some of you so abusive with your language so? Why pollute a thread that has otherwise been largely civil?

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 3:20pm On Aug 17, 2020
garfield1:

Just like in bauchi,apc can seek for the leave of court to participate

Honestly, that would be the fair thing for the court to so hold. SANS, here you go.

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Correcto: 3:21pm On Aug 17, 2020
I thought the supreme court judgement was final. What is really happening in Nigeria? Lol
ryloy:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/409305-breaking-tribunal-nullifies-bayelsa-governorship-election.html
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by joyandfaith: 3:21pm On Aug 17, 2020
duwdu:

Again, it's a Fresh Election, not a rerun, just like others have been saying. Big difference.

P34c3

so they will nominate fresh candidates ?
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Realdickson: 3:21pm On Aug 17, 2020
Plan B of APC to capture Bayelsa state by all means and install the CALIPHATE for herdsmen and Boko Haram to kill, inflict and maim us as it's happening in IMO state.
WE'RE WATCHING!!!!!
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 17, 2020
chloedogie:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. The sad thing is the masses will pay for the nonsense all these people are doing. Both PDP and APC. That small state won't see any reasonable development in a long while. Pity.

Question is who will be the sitting governor for the next 90 days? Is it the same governor or the speaker becomes the governor since the election has been nullified.

The speaker resumes work as govy tomorrow and a new election date is picked. 3 months after

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by ejimatic: 3:23pm On Aug 17, 2020
kahal29:

No
. For issue no 1 I am not aware of the date of the petition but I know that it is a case between ANDP vrs INEC.ANDP has the right to challenge the process of the Bayelsa election. Additionally a lot of pettitions are handled by petition tribunals with various judges even in a state..This could be one of them in Bayelsa. Issue no 2: It is an Election petition Tribunals matter not necessary a case for the regular court .INEC screened ANDP in Bayelsa and did not put the party logo on the ballot paper.Election of this nature is a nullity if the appellant proves the illegality of his party 's exclusion from the voting process. So as loser files petition for losing in an election those excluded must file their petitions against INEC too.Finally the suit and the judgement are in order.
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by ejimatic: 3:25pm On Aug 17, 2020
garfield1:

Please sir for the last time,don't bring up uche nwosu case again.. Aside that,you are analysing from a wrong angle or standpoint.your analysis has been overtaken by new events.we should be looking forward and asking if apc will participate in the new polls or not and if apc does not participate,will the participating parties be allowed to do fresh primaries and substitution in the event that the supreme court upholds this ruling?

But regarding your analysis,various supreme court rulings recently has made almost all pre election matters to be under the jurisdiction of election tribunals.mind you there are precedents..
Secondly,the declaration of pdp as winner front dated all petitions filed prior to that judgment.automatically,that petition will be calculates as being filed within 21 days after the certificate of return was issued.arguing otherwise will be saying that pdp petition that was filed when Lyon was declared winner is still alive
For issue no 1 I am not aware of the date of the petition but I know that it is a case between ANDP vrs INEC.ANDP has the right to challenge the process of the Bayelsa election. Additionally a lot of pettitions are handled by petition tribunals with various judges even in a state..This could be one of them in Bayelsa. Issue no 2: It is an Election petition Tribunals matter not necessary a case for the regular court .INEC screened ANDP in Bayelsa and did not put the party logo on the ballot paper.Election of this nature is a nullity if the appellant proves the illegality of his party 's exclusion from the voting process. So as loser files petition for losing in an election those excluded must file their petitions against INEC too.Finally the suit and the judgement are in order.
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by brightleave(m): 3:27pm On Aug 17, 2020
ajailer:
Can we say we are not yet matured enough to rule ourselves democratically or what is this rubbish with politicians ridiculing the judiciary?

yes. But if na the other way round, you go say otherwise.
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by friday2011(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2020
SaintLucia:
The governor can't appeal cos the case is between that small party, tribunal and INEC not PDP. The only person that can appeal the case is INEC and APC will participate in a fresh election by substituting the name of their deputy like the supreme court ruling of the former Bauchi state governor who won election but the supreme court nullified his victory for presenting a deputy that forged his certificate and order for a fresh election. The ex Bauchi state governor presented a new deputy, contested and won the fresh election. I'm very sure you were young then to know this history. Mary Odili wuruwuru ruling can't stand. grin

Young man... I hope this extract answers your ignorance

BAYELSA STATE GOVERNMENT

OFFICE OF THE CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY

PRESS RELEASE

I've instructed My Lawyers To Appeal Tribunal Ruling - Gov. Diri

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has said he will appeal Monday's ruling of the state election petition tribunal sitting in Abuja and has consequently instructed his lawyers to file the necessary papers.

Governor Diri, who spoke shortly after the tribunal ruled that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) wrongly excluded the Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party (ANDP) governorship candidate from the November 16, 2019 election, said he has implicit confidence in the judiciary that he would triumph in the end.

His words: "We trust in the judiciary and we are appealing the judgement. With God on our side, we will get justice.

"This is a court of first instance and I have instructed our lawyers to file an appeal. We have a right of appeal even up to the Supreme Court."

The governor urged members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and his supporters not to panic and to continue to remain calm and law-abiding.

DANIEL ALABRAH
ACTING CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY TO THE BAYELSA GOVERNOR
AUGUST 17, 2020

Source: The Punch Newspaper
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by shugabasbn: 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2020
ajailer:
Can we say we are not yet matured enough to rule ourselves democratically or what is this rubbish with politicians ridiculing the judiciary?

No be only democracy even Military we failed, monarchy we failed. We failed all round as a nation
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by bash8936: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2020
APC will participate if the ruling is upheld at the Supreme Court. Check Twitter to validate the constitution and the electoral laws ruling on the case. If the deputy governor candidate charged with certificate forgery willingly withdraw or resign from contesting 45days before the Election Day the party can substitute his name with another, hence if Lyon deputy willingly resign or withdraw from contesting on his own 45days before election then Lyon can contest. So all hope is on Supreme Court not to allow the ruling to stay?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by ejimatic: 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2020
ryloy:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/409305-breaking-tribunal-nullifies-bayelsa-governorship-election.html
The arising question as a follow up to my analysis is : Will APC take part in the fresh Bayelsa election if the judgement is sustained at the SC? Yes is the answer.The election is FRESH for all parties including APC. The assumption is that NO ELECTION TOOK PLACE IN BAYELSA IN 2019 However if it is a RERUN election APC can never take part in it. Additionally if the judgement is sustained at the SC the Assembly speaker will be made Acting Governor for six months during which a FRESH election will take place with all parties including APC participating.
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by fergie001: 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2020
ejimatic:
It is an Election petition Tribunals matter not necessary a case for the regular court
I am made aware that two cases of this manner were treated in regular Courts.

Throw more light......
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2020
joyandfaith:

so they will nominate fresh candidates ?

The way I understand it, yes.

Honestly, parties are inherently inter-dynamic in the way they choose candidates, vis-a-vis what other parties are doing. So in my mind, the law will be an ass to allow just one party to conduct it's own primary at a time and under circumstances very different from those conducted by other parties.

I expect the courts to give a simple meaning to the ruling: Just conduct a fresh election from the beginning; this time, get it right.

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by AAA593: 3:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
ejimatic:
The arising question as a follow up to my analysis is : Will APC take part in the fresh Bayelsa election if the judgement is sustained at the SC? Yes is the answer.The election is FRESH for all parties including APC.However if it is a RERUN election APC can never take part in it. Additionally if the judgement is sustained at the SC the Assembly speaker will be made Acting Governor for six months during which a FRESH election will take place with all parties including APC participating.
Fresh election for qualified political parties before the election only. Apc was not qualified before the election and i think its stands. Do you think there will be fresh guidelines from inec, fresh nominations and primaries?

1 Like

Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by duwdu: 3:43pm On Aug 17, 2020
friday2011:

Young man... I hope this extract answers your ignorance

BAYELSA STATE GOVERNMENT

OFFICE OF THE CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY

PRESS RELEASE

I've instructed My Lawyers To Appeal Tribunal Ruling - Gov. Diri

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has said he will appeal Monday's ruling of the state election petition tribunal sitting in Abuja and has consequently instructed his lawyers to file the necessary papers.

Governor Diri, who spoke shortly after the tribunal ruled that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) wrongly excluded the Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party (ANDP) governorship candidate from the November 16, 2019 election, said he has implicit confidence in the judiciary that he would triumph in the end.

His words: "We trust in the judiciary and we are appealing the judgement. With God on our side, we will get justice.

"This is a court of first instance and I have instructed our lawyers to file an appeal. We have a right of appeal even up to the Supreme Court."

The governor urged members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and his supporters not to panic and to continue to remain calm and law-abiding.

DANIEL ALABRAH
ACTING CHIEF PRESS SECRETARY TO THE BAYELSA GOVERNOR
AUGUST 17, 2020

Source: The Punch Newspaper

That doesn't mean the courts will accept that he can appeal a ruling over a court case he did not institute or was not joined or called as a witness.

P34c3
Re: Tribunal Nullifies Bayelsa Governorship Election by AAA593: 3:44pm On Aug 17, 2020
duwdu:

That doesn't mean the courts will accept that he can appeal a ruling over a court case he did not institute or was not joined or called as a witness.

P34c3
See below

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / The Officers & Jets NAF Deployed To Senegal For Imminent Gambia Crisis (Photos) / Photo Of Gallant Soilder Who Was Killed On Feb 14 During Boko Haram Attack.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.