Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,586 members, 7,850,975 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:43 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (409085 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by obowunmi(m): 6:56pm On Apr 08, 2011
This is one of the most useful threads I've encountered here on NL --- please keep posting these pictures, very helpful to see the wonderful progressions of your various homes.  smiley smiley
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 7:56pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ omonuan, ok then, lets do our things and see how much really these projects will cost us.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Midas02(m): 8:07pm On Apr 08, 2011
Here is a website that lists building material prices

However I am not sure how much of this prices are still current and up to date??

If anyone knows, let us know what has changed and what hasn't. I know that cement is now N1800 - N2000 per bag.

http://www.nigeriapropertiesonline.com/price_quotes.php
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:10pm On Apr 08, 2011
some fake Twyford fittings in our markets

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2011
This thread has been so interesting and educating and it took me almost the whole day to read through in and out. I had to skip some pages so i can make my contribution. I have learnt so many mistakes which i made in the past regards building from this thread and below is the picture of what the building looks like.
 Let us all learn from each other as most of the mistakes i made would have been averted if i have stumble across this thread but i must admit that i don't have the CASH ready at once which really affects the project as it took more than a year before it was completed.

As one of the contributors to this thread rightly advice,it takes self denial and commitment  before one can make savings to commence a project. To the guy that earn 80,000 as Salary, if you are committed and discipline,you will become a landlord in 2yrs.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:15pm On Apr 08, 2011
This thread has been so interesting and educating and it took me almost the whole day to read through in and out. I had to skip some pages so i can make my contribution. I have learnt so many mistakes which i made in the past regards building from this thread and below is the picture of what the building looks like.
 Let us all learn from each other as most of the mistakes i made would have been averted if i have stumble across this thread but i must admit that i don't have the CASH ready at once which really affects the project as it took more than a year before it was completed.

As one of the contributors to this thread rightly advice,it takes self denial and commitment  before one can make savings to commence a project. To the guy that earn 80,000 as Salary, if you are committed and discipline,you will become a landlord in 2yrs.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:18pm On Apr 08, 2011
[b]Its a pity i can not estimate the total cost that finish this project as I changed the site engineer 3 times for one reasons to the other. First engineer used hand mold blocks which doesn't make the work smooth and wasted so much time molding the blocks and waiting for it to get dry, another used a substandard material and trying to cut cost and the last one did a neat and standard job but diverted my funds elsewhere before doing my job.
All in all i learnt that it is advisable to be on your site almost everyday as am_ alone and syber008 have done if time permits you to monitor how things is been done or else? Do not also trust a family member completely all in the name of helping you,either your brother,sister,uncle or anyone at all as most of them will stab you from behind. Thank GOD the project is now Completed and i have learnt so many lessons which can be averted when doing my second project. A 3bedroom bungalow which should cough a whooping sum between 3.5m - 5m depending on the type of interior,tiles,roofing {Aluminium or Slate} ,doors and so many other things according to the new site engineer xcluding gate and fence which has been done already.
I will try and give the break down as soon as i commence next month {GOD's Willing} for us to share but i may not be able to completely answer so many questions spyder880,brabus and am_alone answered cos they have been in building project for long. When i told a friend how mush i spent on 14 coaches Perimeter fencing and the gate,he almost flogged me and that was part of the lesson i have learnt. I parted ways with the site engineer after i discovered how heavy i have been duped. Let us learn lessons from each other without hiding vital infos .[/b]

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:23pm On Apr 08, 2011
A big thank you to am_ alone,syber008 and everyone that have contributed immensely to this thread. I have learnt a lot and also know the prices of so many building materials, This is the longest reading i have done in a long time.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:24pm On Apr 08, 2011
chai, there was a mix up!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:27pm On Apr 08, 2011
@calculus, please keep the pictures coming, am learning something from them as you send them. where is this project located?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:29pm On Apr 08, 2011
some more pictures of some misconceptions we have.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:36pm On Apr 08, 2011
more still, maybe someone will learn something from these pictures

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:38pm On Apr 08, 2011
and finally,

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:38pm On Apr 08, 2011
spyder880:I think this breakdown can do my decking;

1x12x12 planks 100 x 750 = N75k
2x3x12 poline 50 x 250 = 12,500
bamboo sticks                 = N5k
nails (assorted)                 =15k
rods (all types)                =140k
sand x 3 trips                  =15k
gravel x 4 trips               =48k
cement x 70 bags x 1900 =133k
transportation               =20k
labour for carpenters    =60k
labour for iron benders  =25k
labour for pouring         =35k
engineering supervision     15k
entertainment after the decking 5k

A total of N603,500.00. This is just the estimate, but I think it will cost a lot less, I was just being generous with this estimate. By the time I get down to the field and wear my haggling cap, prices will tumble. I will negotiate like a mad man and even go out to meet new suppliers and workmen. This decking must be done with N500k or a little more.

I dove my hat for you oooo, lol. Do you know i have never heard of anywhere a decking was done for 600k before but seeing the above i believe its possible only if you know and understand the whole process,no bricklayer and carpenter can drain you, My 2 hands are up for you. If i may ask,is it the same laborers that started it will finish this job cos you must have cut down all their corny ways of embezzling the owner.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2011
spyder880:

@calculus, please keep the pictures coming, am learning something from them as you send them. where is this project located?

[b]The Project is along Ikorodu-Sagamu road and for security reasons those are the pictures i can provide for now as all other pictures have my contact numbers on them for interested occupants and don't want it to look like an advert here on NL. I couldn't take pictures from the foundation when i first started as the first engineer used molding blocks and  the pictures didn't look presentable and neat to me so i didn't bother taking the Pictures while the second engineer did his job in archaic way before i later gave it to the 3rd engineer who did many corrections and did a neat job but i must tell you since i wasn't around to inspect the work,he first diverted my fund elsewhere before he later do the job when i am around.
  This is a lesson for our dear fellas in diaspora,apart from the site engineer,get a supervisor and also appoint someone as a supervisory supervisor if need be as the supervisor and the site engineer can't be trusted completely. I almost gave up building a brick water tank as you can see in one of the pictures but its unavoidable when i do not have the CASH at once. I will notify you when i am about to start the Second Project which is under Lagos State and arrangement for approval/COT is going underway.[/b]
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 9:01pm On Apr 08, 2011
omonuan:

@Kuntash-You need to create your own thread if you like but please do not chase AM ALONE from this thread.  Many here would agree with me that he has made this thread lively even though it was created by SPYDER.

I am also a property investor.  I have learnt a lot from the contributions here and I know that I can put them in use.  Every contribution here could help someone.  I would bet that this thread is now the most popular in Nairaland because it is educational.

Currently, I am building a 30 room hostel in Choba-Port Harcourt just about to be decked for the second time.  There are no gravels in P/H so I have to truck in granite from Akamkpa at the cost of N257, 000 for a 30 ton tipper.  Each time the tipper comes, I have to pay area boys 10k for " mafia tax." So far, I have spent about 1.5m for granite and I am yet to do a second decking.  I understand that same quantity of granite go for 150k in Lagos.  In Asaba where gravel is readily available, my cousin used 50k to deck a 5/6 bedroom duplex. Therefore, location plays into it.  If you are building P/H and someone in Lagos tells you he spent 157k for granite, you'll think you are being ripped off.  Be aware though that prices vary by location.  Many of you are buying cement over N2000 per bag now but in P/H for some reasons, it is at N1700.

For aesthetics, granite provides the cleanest if not the strongest job.  Look at AM ALONE'S house as compared to others in this thread and you'll see that the difference is clear- no pun intended.  Saving money is okay but we also have to have a balance so that we do not compromise quality and safety.  We have seen so many houses tragically collapse in Nigeria.  May that not happen to any of us because it would be devastating!

The argument about granite vs. gravel also extends to hand moulded vs. machine moulded blocks.  It is all about different strokes for different folks.

My guy, its like u ve been away for a while on this thread. ,,

I must not post or comment on thread to learn from it,
u can review all my posts here, its about allowing people to act freely and trying to adhere to the topic of this thread to avoid derailing it.
You can read also where I acknowledge the contribution of all whilst I learnt from it even from the man u are saying is being chased out.

The point is clear, if u be Billionaire, hold ya peace and dont come here to potray issues as, u must use this and that to build a house , it must be expensive to be solid and have quality, and try to criticize and condemn what others have done, its not good, or are u like that as well?

note, there is another thread started by a lady on same property section, "cost of building a house in Nigeria" we can learn from there too, this one is " THE REAL COST OF BUILDING A 6BEDROOM DUPLEX" take note of the phrase there, "REAL"

there are rules on nairaland, there is a moderator as well, we can invite them to review all 34 pages currently.

Finally, I no get right to chase anyone even if its my thread, I only came by this one, 80% of my posts so far are in Auto section, , thats where more passion lies,

Spyder, pls lets have the updates of this thread
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Apollonio: 9:03pm On Apr 08, 2011
calculusx:

]I dove my hat for you oooo, lol. Do you know i have never heard of anywhere a decking was done for 600k before but seeing the above i believe its possible only if you know and understand the whole process,no bricklayer and carpenter can drain you, My 2 hands are up for you. If i may ask,is it the same laborers that started it will finish this job cos you must have cut down all their corny ways of embezzling the owner.[/color]

Oga Calculusx,have you not heard the saying that¨the fear of german floor and decking expense quotations by dodgy professional builders have made many potential home owners into perpetual tenants?.

How I didn´t fall a victim of that has been one of the many miracles in my life.Today,I would have still been dreaming of my castle in the air while living in another man´s.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:14pm On Apr 08, 2011
Nice pictures spyder  grin  grin  grin grin
@ all And that is what you get
when you try to save money buying fake stuffs.
You keep buying them over and over again!!!!

Before I started my project, I made sure I say my prayers. . .
And one of them was; " OLUWA CHAMPION, HELP ME WITH ALL
THE MONEY I DID NEED FOR MY HOUSE!!! BABA, PLEASE AND PLEASE
I DON'T WANT TO MANAGE --- THANK YOU!!!"
But Do You Know That GOD IS GOD? ? ?
AS IN "GOD IS GOD my brothers''

Singing who born the maga by wande coal

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 9:14pm On Apr 08, 2011
Midas02:

I have a question for you @Kuntash or anyone else that can answer it.
Pls how much is the Granite dust? Was it supplied with a 10 ton truck too?
Also @Brabus, you seem to be familiar with the type of gravel that I pictured previously (you called it 'washed gravel').
Would you know how much it is sold for?? Is it per ton or per truck??
Thank you.

Midas some of us are still novice in these building material terms, I dont know the truck size per tons, but the one I bought, was 38k they call it double, that should be 15-20 tons, it was really much, u can see d pic in d post.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 9:24pm On Apr 08, 2011
Apollonio:

Oga Calculusx,have you not heard the saying that¨the fear of german floor and decking expense quotations by dodgy professional builders have made many potential home owners into perpetual tenants?.

How I didn´t fall a victim of that has been one of the many miracles in my life.Today,I would have still been dreaming of my castle in the air while living in another man´s.

Its True oo cos when one consider the cost of german floor and decking which is enough to build the whole house,many potential home owners will still be a tenant for years because of german floor and decking. But from spyder880's breakdown on german floor and decking,i believe its still affordable compare to what other dodgy builders will give you. There is no how they won't chop from you but it should be minimal
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 9:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^^^^ exactly, thats one of the important things I learnt here, the core need for German floors especially in water logged areas, it was well explained to me by Spyder and latched in and insisted I would do it,

the logic behind it can be tested via smthn like the building toys kids play with , if u have smthn like a flat base where the bricks sits on, its more solid than erecting them individually,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ calculusx, I have no choice than to know these processes because am always involved in buildings. My hobby is building houses and looking for lands and houses that are for cheap sale. I know all the different ways to do a decking and workers cannot cheat me.
I will make little changes to my workforce for the decking stage. I will get a new iron bender, the one am using is not serious and charged me too much for the lintels (N12k) my new carpenter remains, he does excellent work and dont argue on charges, he will handpick his helpers, fellow carpenters. My labourers are all allowed to work, my engineer also stays. He drew this plans and says he has built it for two persons before me, only some mild changes that I made to the plans. I think it will work out fine.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 9:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^^ maybe u are qualified for another name here on the property section, hmmmm, Bargain GURU?, how about that,

guy I have been told I require like 20-25 trips of red sand for filling, how u see am? , 20 trips is estimated around 150k,

meanwhile on different note, is anyone watching Channels TV right now?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 9:46pm On Apr 08, 2011
spyder880:

@ calculusx, I have no choice than to know these processes because am always involved in buildings. My hobby is building houses and looking for lands and houses that are for cheap sale. I know all the different ways to do a decking and workers cannot cheat me.
I will make little changes to my workforce for the decking stage. I will get a new iron bender, the one am using is not serious and charged me too much for the lintels (N12k) my new carpenter remains, he does excellent work and dont argue on charges, he will handpick his helpers, fellow carpenters. My labourers are all allowed to work, my engineer also stays. He drew this plans and says he has built it for two persons before me, only some mild changes that I made to the plans. I think it will work out fine.

Dats a good one cos i also learnt its not all laborers that started the project will finish it { not by death} as some of them purposely delay your work so they can get paid on daily basis and buy more time. So at a particular stage of the construction,there needs to be a reshuffles, INEC and Police force did the same thing tooo, just joking
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 9:50pm On Apr 08, 2011
kuntash:

^^^^ maybe u are qualified for another name here on the property section, hmmmm, Bargain GURU?, how about that,

guy I have been told I require like 20-25 trips of red sand for filling, how u see am? , 20 trips is estimated around 150k,

meanwhile on different note, is anyone watching Channels TV right now?

Yes im glued to Channels TV for this Election. There is a report of bomb blast in INEC Office @ Suleja killing some Corpers and waiting for more update from 10pm news, Lets stay focused on this thread, Its Property Section, lol
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:52pm On Apr 08, 2011
@kuntash, wetin dey happen for channels tv abeg, am not at home yet.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:59pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ All, This was how I was sure I was buying original fittings for my house
I simply advice those who may be willing to kind of follow this step!!!

The man that will be working my POP for me is a pastor and an engineer as well
So he has alot of contacts as an engineer with people that deals with all kind of
building materials. Though I trust no one!!

He is not the one engineering my house for me. He was introduced to my by my carpenter.
So when I want to buy my bathroom stuffs, I ask for if he has any good contact, so he gave
me that guys number. And call the guy on my behalf. And also, advised me to make sure I
fit of all shop around before going to the guy shop. Anyways, after buying all my stuffs, I went
to the same market the next to to do some research about the prices. But noticed I bought not
only the best, but at the best price.

It is always good for you to be reffered to people when you wants to do things in a field you
have not much idea about! Because there is a proverb that goes like: The niddle that has
a thread attached to it, is the niddle that is more easy to be found.

My rules:
Rule #1: Never Under-estimate Your Opponent.
Rule #2: Show No Love -- Love Could Get You Killed.
Rule #3: Trust No One
Rule #4: Never Forget Rule #3 . . . .
[i][/i]

Bomb ke?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by MolarMols: 10:03pm On Apr 08, 2011
calculusx:

spyder880:I think this breakdown can do my decking;

1x12x12 planks 100 x 750 = N75k
2x3x12 poline 50 x 250 = 12,500
bamboo sticks                 = N5k
nails (assorted)                 =15k
rods (all types)                =140k
sand x 3 trips                  =15k
gravel x 4 trips               =48k
Midas02 link=topic=606079.msg8082947#msg8082947 date=1302289657:

Here is a website that lists building material prices

However I am not sure how much of this prices are still current and up to date??

If anyone knows, let us know what has changed and what hasn't. I know that cement is now N1800 - N2000 per bag.

http://www.nigeriapropertiesonline.com/price_quotes.php
cement x 70 bags x 1900 =133k
transportation               =20k
labour for carpenters    =60k
labour for iron benders  =25k
labour for pouring         =35k
engineering supervision     15k
entertainment after the decking 5k

A total of N603,500.00. This is just the estimate, but I think it will cost a lot less, I was just being generous with this estimate. By the time I get down to the field and wear my haggling cap, prices will tumble. I will negotiate like a mad man and even go out to meet new suppliers and workmen. This decking must be done with N500k or a little more.

I dove my hat for you oooo, lol. Do you know i have never heard of anywhere a decking was done for 600k before but seeing the above i believe its possible only if you know and understand the whole process,no bricklayer and carpenter can drain you, My 2 hands are up for you. If i may ask,is it the same laborers that started it will finish this job cos you must have cut down all their corny ways of embezzling the owner.

@ calculusx and Midas02

can you guys please give me contact details for cement as the price im getting at the moment is 2300. i also need to buy block, they've told me that 9*9 vibrated block is 180. can anyone help please?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 10:08pm On Apr 08, 2011
pls @ all, this issue with cement na wa o,

sellers can be funny o, is the variation in prices not directly proportional to the weight in KG so?, na 50kg I think say e suppose be o.

@ spyder, na Niger state o, bomb! , e be like say some youth corpers don die sef
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
you know, I got into an argument with cement sellers today, all my friends, this evening. I took them to task to explain to me why cement could be cheaper in Enugu than Lagos where it is made and imported from. Their views are varied. One said it has to do with demand in Lagos, another opined it is a matter of distribution efficiency of some transporters while the most controversial point was that of size. I wanted to know fom them if the cement sold in Enugu may be smaller than those in Lagos, if Dangote reeduces the size of our cement to sell cheaper here?
It made no sense to me at all, one of my friends believes some cement sizes may be smaller than others, another doubted him. Another said some dealers do 'internal' arrangement to cut corners from corrupt factory officials. I doubt this seriously. And I think Enugu cement are same with all other cement across the federation. Enugu cement are brought in from PH, Obajana and Lagos, so does anyone here know what makes Enugu cement cheaper that Lagos cement. Has it got anything to do with brands? We have Dangote, Unicem, Ibeto and BUA brands selling in our shops in Enugu.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 10:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ Molarmos: The Cost of Cement is unstable especially in Lagos. And you will be surprise to see people selling cement between 1800 -2300 naira per bag. I am not too sure of the current price but the price varies wt respect to the type you are buying. Either lafarge, burham, dangote and others and if you think you are buying a Cheaper Cement, it may be a re-bag. So shyne your eyes well. Nigeria,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by calculusx(m): 10:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
spyder880:

you know, I got into an argument with cement sellers today, all my friends, this evening. I took them to task to explain to me why cement could be cheaper in Enugu than Lagos where it is made and imported from. Their views are varied. One said it has to do with demand in Lagos, another opined it is a matter of distribution efficiency of some transporters while the most controversial point was that of size. I wanted to know fom them if the cement sold in Enugu may be smaller than those in Lagos, if Dangote reeduces the size of our cement to sell cheaper here?
It made no sense to me at all, one of my friends believes some cement sizes may be smaller than others, another doubted him. Another said some dealers do 'internal' arrangement to cut corners from corrupt factory officials. I doubt this seriously. And I think Enugu cement are same with all other cement across the federation. Enugu cement are brought in from PH, Obajana and Lagos, so does anyone here know what makes Enugu cement cheaper that Lagos cement. Has it got anything to do with brands? We have Dangote, Unicem, Ibeto and BUA brands selling in our shops in Enugu.

My dear brother, i just said something similar above. If you are buying a cheaper cement,i am 110% sure you are buying a re-bag Cement. Don't ask me how you will know if the Cement is a re-bag or not, just ask the seller. They knows it better, thats the Nigeria we are.

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.