Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,416 members, 7,830,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408623 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 9:59am On Apr 09, 2011
Am Alone:

@ Demain man,

As much as I'd like to wait for the price of cement to come down during
the raining season, but you know, during the raining season, a lot of trucks
sinks on bad road. And construction is always very slow(the rains disturbs
workers and very where is always damp).

The road that leads to my house is always bad during the raining season
trucks suppling sand and stones and cement cannot operate in that area very
freely because they stands a risk of. . . . .
Oshey!!!
because they may sink

@Am Alone, that's the reason why I buy sand (soft, sharp etc), stones, granite (the 30 tonne trailer bringing granite to my site can only visit in dry season) in the dry season. So, there's never a dull moment or excuse in my site. And for cement, except you are doing German floor or Decking, there's no time you will require more than 20 bags at a go. This can be delivered to the site using Okada/Motorbike.

@MolarMos, good to know that you have a site in Abijo. I was there yesterday, although I was in Lakowe Lakes. My suggestion is this if you can handle it. Get a block maker to bring his machine to your site, give him the materials and the quality you want. Within 2 weeks, you will have over 3000 blocks in your site which is enough to take you to window level irrespective of what you are building. If I'm to handle the job, that's what I will do - no special thing there. There's no problem with Rainy season, its the way we plan and priortize, use this season to get materials (sand, stone, blocks) to yr site. You can build in the rainy season.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 10:03am On Apr 09, 2011
^^^^^^ good advice. I am going to buy the sand needed now and wait for rainy season to buy my cement. I am hoping to make some saving as low''KUDI'' is the key word  grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:16am On Apr 09, 2011
Brabus,
Tru talk! Nice idea!!!!
Though I still prefer building in the dey season sha
But now I can buy during the end of the raining season
Then the price will still be low! Also, I notice rods are
also cheap during the raining season too!
I believe if I am building another house I will save a lot
of money. Though the difference with this one I am doing
now won't be that much! wink
Peaces!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:28am On Apr 09, 2011
Furthermore Brabus
You know some area's can be
so bad during the rainy season
that even you can barely visit the
the site?
Though some may not be that bad !
grin  grin  grin

Forget! Lagos road na die during the raining
season!!! and except you buy during the
early dry season. Even you can't visit your site

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Jaymama: 10:52am On Apr 09, 2011
@ Spyder thank you for your prompt response, the project is in warri delta state. Dry land, toilet and  will be in the master bedroom only and 2 other rooms will share a toilet and bathroom. and a small visitors toilet. wall to wall tiles in toilet and kitchen. POP ceiling in sitting room only, aluminum or aluminum zinc for roofing which is cheaper. just something a bit standard not to big where me and my family can forget landlord wahala.  i love the picture chaircover posted. Thank you
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by cinzo: 11:34am On Apr 09, 2011
@brabus, am still waiting for the contacts of the guy that made your aluminium roof for you please!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 1:46pm On Apr 09, 2011
Am Alone,

I asked a question on page 33 on internal POP dressing for Arches and Archives. Kindly provide clarification on the charging is done if you know.

Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 1:58pm On Apr 09, 2011
brabus:

My suggestion is this if you can handle it. Get a block maker to bring his machine to your site, give him the materials and the quality you want. Within 2 weeks, you will have over 3000 blocks in your site which is enough to take you to window level irrespective of what you are building. If I'm to handle the job, that's what I will do - no special thing there. There's no problem with Rainy season, its the way we plan and priortize,  use this season to get materials (sand, stone, blocks) to yr site. You can build in the rainy season.

Excellent talk,  thats exactly what I desire to do when I wanna turn my attention to Lag project.

I still cannot feel comfortable buying hollow blocks from block sellers who would sell at cut throat price yet plan to get 50  6" blocks or more from a bag of cement. its absurd,  many biz people are too desperate,  trust no one! lol

if I can negotiate the cost of labour and service for the block machine,  I would prefer it and still do the supervision. just the way I did while moulding my blind blocks,  I can ascertain quality that way. lol

suffice it to add that the mixing of the sand and cement, play 70% in the strength of the block whether hollow or blind,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:04pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ Mikedeoye,
Sorry brodaly, I forgot to reply you!  grin

For the Arches and Archives, I am doing only one arch which demarcate
my dinning from the sitting room and it it going for 30k!
the arch is  16 feet wide!!!
Though I may still bargain it a little more when the times comes
but 30k is okay for me too!
check out the arch!!!
Peace!!!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 09, 2011
@Am Alone

I really appreciate your advice. You are a good man. You have been marvellous on this thread. The advise you have given on the roofing of my house is well taken. I will have the company to do the roofing for me.

Thank you so much for your candid advice.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:21pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ Payless
Please these two woods are also very good for your house
Akun and Itara
Akun is one of the best for your house
It was what I used. And believe me, one of the carpenters that
worked with me fell sick and couldn't resume work!!! The wood
is stone hard and at first I thought the nails I bought were fake!!!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:47pm On Apr 09, 2011
again!!!

nails vs wood

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2011
@Am Alone

I have noted down Akun and Itara woods. I did not even know that. I thought the wood they use for roofing are the same. Thanks a lot!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:58pm On Apr 09, 2011
Payless! You need to payless oo! grin grin grin

Please also note that Akun and Itara are more expensive than
normal woods and can last up to 50yrs! if treated!

Also Akun is more expensive than Itara
check-out the price list of Akun.

2 by 2 wood = 250
2 by 3 wood = 380
2 by 4 wood = 450
2 by 6 wood = 750(best price!!!)

Also, you need someone to monitor the company
on your behalf. And that quotation is for step tiles roofing!!!
Bros don't rush it! Take your time. Be the one to tell the roofing
company the wood you want them to use for your roof!!!

And remember I quoted on this thread that my carpenter
went behind me to do some arrangements with some roofing
company to inflate the price of my roofing sheet!!!
THANK GOD I FOUND OUT!!! --- OLUWA CHAMPION
And the difference was 1,100 naira per square meter!!

Please share your experience!
PEACE!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 09, 2011
These are the pictures of the house before it got to lintel level. As a matter of fact, I have dismissed two engineers that wasted a lot of my money. The engineed/achitect I use now is right here on nairaland. I met him on nairaland. His user name is segci-moore. So far so good, he is doing alright.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:19pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ am alone, my house have archs in four different places downstairs alone. One dividing the sitting room from the dinning, another smaller one could be seen from the stting room in the passage that moves into the rest of the house. There are two outside, both at the balcony outside the kitchen, the other could be sighted from the gate, visible in my house plans.
All these arches have been constructed and the concrete has been poured. My carpenter did them alongside the lintels and they were poured together. I dont think my carpenter took up to N15k for doing all the lintels, plus the 4 archs, though he wasted much time, nearly 8 days.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 09, 2011
pix

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 3:31pm On Apr 09, 2011
spyder880:

@ am alone, my house have archs in four different places downstairs alone. One dividing the sitting room from the dinning, another smaller one could be seen from the stting room in the passage that moves into the rest of the house. There are two outside, both at the balcony outside the kitchen, the other could be sighted from the gate, visible in my house plans.
All these arches have been constructed and the concrete has been poured. My carpenter did them alongside the lintels and they were poured together. I dont think my carpenter took up to N15k for doing all the lintels, plus the 4 archs, though he wasted much time, nearly 8 days.

@Spyder! my arch is over 2 times bigger than a normal arch! (16feet wide) all my pillars and lintels(8 pillars and extra 4 round pillars and 29 lintels) were done
for 28k. Considering the fact that the cost of labour here for carpenter is within 2500 to 3000 naira per day! And again for my big arch, it took 2 carpenters two
days to finish it! I think I did really great!!! Most of the job I did on my site, I pay them on contract!!! It helps me save money. Now say for example I was to pay two carpenters per day job for that arch, it would have cost me around 10k for that arch alone considering the fact that they may delay the job. They put in all their
strength because we had a deal. It wasn't that easy for them!!!

What I am talking about that will cost me 30k is the POP work that will be done on the arch!!!
Peace!!!! wink
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 3:39pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ Payless
That is a very neat job they are doing for you there!!! grin grin grin
Perfect!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 09, 2011
pix

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2011
I tried to upload more pictures but couldn't do it as the files were too large to get uploaded.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:42pm On Apr 09, 2011
Okay, if its 16 feet then its 6 feet longer than mine in the dinning area. The one outside my kitchen (my wife's kitchen lol) is also around 10 feet long. But I think you are getting a good deal. Just compare all prices before issuing the contract. Each of my pillars were done for N250, (carpentery) and I have pillars in 27 places already done, the ones outside the house has not been formed.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2011
pix

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 4:03pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ Spyder!!

Here our carpenters collect job on daily pay or on contracts! And it is not always advisable to pay them on daily basis! ecause they
intend to delay your job so as to get more pay.

If I had paid them on daily basis, it would have cost me more(I guess!)
And lastly we cannot compare the prices of Enugu to that of Lagos

Price in Lagos is really on the high side. . . .
But I believe I have really learn alot here and
I am sure to do better in a next project!
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Davedavy: 4:05pm On Apr 09, 2011
payless:

I tried to upload more pictures but couldn't do it as the files were too large to get uploaded.

try to reduce the pics before uploading.To do that do the following:
Open the pics with Microsoft Office Picture Manager
click  edit picture at the upper tool bar
click compress picture at the side tool bar
Click documents and then ok
save the picture, and try uploading again.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Fhemmmy: 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2011
Thanks for all the great pix
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Jaymama: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2011
spyder880:

@ jaymama, good to know you are ready to embark on this worthy project of building your house, however, a lot of things will affect the estimate, like these factors.
Where is the project located
what is the size of the structure
will the whole rooms have toilet and baths
what is your standard in finishings

when I get these answers, we can help with estimates. Thanks.
@ Spyder thank you for your prompt response, the project is in warri delta state. Dry land, toilet and will be in the master bedroom only and 2 other rooms will share a toilet and bathroom. and a small visitors toilet. wall to wall tiles in toilet and kitchen. POP ceiling in sitting room only, aluminum or aluminum zinc for roofing which is cheaper. just something a bit standard not to big where me and my family can forget landlord wahala. i love the picture chaircover posted. Thank you
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Apollonio: 5:18pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ Payless,

Am not seeing enough provisions for pillars in your pictures.

I see the house big enough to require several pillars to be able to hold the roofing work especially if you are considering the kind of roofing that @ Am Alone is using.

Or is the new builder going to improvise for them in a redesigned form?.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 09, 2011
@Apollonio

There are 6 areas that pillars are going to be in the building. I am actually going to ask for few more pillars to be improvised if needed. I need to send another engineer to give me second opinion. Thanks for your observation!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:24pm On Apr 09, 2011
@jaymama, off the top of my head, I know its very possible to do a three bedroom bungalow on dry land with N2.5m and still get some very good designs fitted into the house. Note that I didnt calculate the addition of gutter roof. Good aluminium roofing with two metal doors for the entrances. I remember I once did a four bedroom bungalow with N3m and the house was very beutiful.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Jaymama: 7:03pm On Apr 09, 2011
spyder880:

@jaymama, off the top of my head, I know its very possible to do a three bedroom bungalow on dry land with N2.5m and still get some very good designs fitted into the house. Note that I didnt calculate the addition of gutter roof. Good aluminium roofing with two metal doors for the entrances. I remember I once did a four bedroom bungalow with N3m and the house was very beutiful.

Thank you very much for this. I will keep u posted as soon as i start. i hear prices of cement go down during raining season, so am waiting.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 09, 2011
I went to do window shopping for Jaccuzzi bath tub, toilet seats, washand basins, sinks, standing shower, and bathroom accessories. I can say for sure that the American brands for all this stuff are more sophisticated than the England and Chinese ones you have in Nigeria, in terms of quality and prices. They are just no match for what they sell in America. Checkout the websites below and confirm this.

Pls visit:  www.lowes.com      or    www.homedepot.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.