Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,004 members, 7,828,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Onye Ga Edu Anyi? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Onye Ga Edu Anyi? (4668 Views)

Ndi Anambra Ka Anyi Gbakobanu Ebea Mata Onwe Anyi! Anambra Obodo Dike! / Ndi Be Anyi, dem-people Na-ekele Unu. / Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Feb 18, 2011
Oh please . . . what ails ibo's in Nigeria, ails other people in the same country. As long as you keep sectioning yourselves from the populace, they also continue to ignore you and your concerns. I am not certain how you expect them to embrace you when it now seems more and more that you do not care what happens to them, and would instead prefer to focus on YOU YOU YOU. How can you section yourself off in your corner and then wonder why they do not bother voting your sons and daughters at the national level? undecided undecided
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh please . . . what ails ibo's in Nigeria, ails other people in the same country. As long as you keep sectioning yourselves from the populace, they also continue to ignore you and your concerns. I am not certain how you expect them to embrace you when it now seems more and more that you do not care what happens to them, and would instead prefer to focus on YOU YOU YOU. How can you section yourself off in your corner and then wonder why they do not bother voting your sons and daughters at the national level? undecided undecided

Everyone cares about their own region. Why shouldn't the Ndigbo not care about our own region? As you already know, the Igbo can be found in every region of Nigeria. And we have a presence in every major city in Nigeria. However, when it comes to our homeland, many Igbos for about home. I do not understand why you continue to make erroneous statements, such as sectioning ourselves. It is about time we start sectioning ourselves, because being Pan-Nigerian is not helping to improve our homeland. Igbos are still paying for the defeat our nation, and our region and other parts of the now defunct Eastern region are used as vanquished territory.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

Everyone cares about their own region. [b]Why shouldn't the Ndigbo not care about our own region? [/b]As you already know, the Igbo can be found in every region of Nigeria. And we have a presence in every major city in Nigeria. However, when it comes to our homeland, many Igbos for about home. I do not understand why you continue to make erroneous statements, such as sectioning ourselves. It is about time we start sectioning ourselves, because being Pan-Nigerian is not helping to improve our homeland. Igbos are still paying for the defeat our nation, and our region and other parts of the now defunct Eastern region are used as vanquished territory.

Because what we are trying to do, and what will favor Ibos in the long run, is getting rid of the regional bull-sh-it!. There is nothing erroneous about my statement on Ibos sectioning themselves. It not new and it has never helped any group, especially when you are dealing with DEMOCRACY -- where majority rules(are supposed to rule). Continuing this idea of sectioning will further alienate Ibos from the system and if that is what you want, then fine.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 7:18pm On Feb 18, 2011
Sectioning off Igbos is not about "not voting for Igbos at the federal level", it's about making very profound anti-democratic changes that negatively affect Igbos just because an army officer could
Who could have believed that the core-Igbo lands of the SE would be "allocated" 5 states while the desert NW would get 7? Now that's an example of the post war punishment I meant, and that is sectioning off Igbos.

EzeUche_:

Everyone cares about their own region. Why shouldn't the Ndigbo not care about our own region? As you already know, the Igbo can be found in every region of Nigeria. And we have a presence in every major city in Nigeria. However, when it comes to our homeland, many Igbos for about home. I do not understand why you continue to make erroneous statements, such as sectioning ourselves. It is about time we start sectioning ourselves, because being Pan-Nigerian is not helping to improve our homeland. Igbos are still paying for the defeat our nation, and our region and other parts of the now defunct Eastern region are used as vanquished territory.

Itupuru nwanyi Hausa onu bu igbu oge lipsrsealed
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 7:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Because what we are trying to do, and what will favor Ibos in the long run, is getting rid of the regional bull-sh-it!. There is nothing erroneous about my statement on Ibos sectioning themselves. It not new and it has never helped any group, especially when you are dealing with DEMOCRACY -- where majority rules(are supposed to rule). Continuing this idea of sectioning will further alienate Ibos from the system and if that is what you want, then fine.

Like it or not, regional loyalties will continue to stay. This is not peculiar to Nigeria. Most African states that are multi-ethnic have this same focus. Even in parts of Europe, you have people who focus on regional development. There is nothing wrong with regional development. Every group strive to make their region thriving. That is the point of development, developing one's region. I would hope my Yoruba brothers in the South-West and my Hausa-Fulani brothers in the North would always want to improve their region as well. Give me one instance where Igbos have been sectioning themselves. When we live in other ethnic communities, we respect our host cultures, speak their language and follow their laws. We do not try to section ourselves from the indigenous population. We try to become part of the population. That is why I do not understand why you say Igbos section themselves. Igbos have yet to section themselves, and that is why we are in a political wilderness. We do not speak with one voice in some instances, and many of my people have neglected our homeland. I am sorry, but I think we Igbos need to section ourselves, because my region needs all the support that it can get.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 7:27pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

Like it or not, regional loyalties will continue to stay. This is not peculiar to Nigeria. Most African states that are multi-ethnic have this same focus. Even in parts of Europe, you have people who focus on regional development. There is nothing wrong with regional development. Every group strive to make their region thriving. That is the point of development, developing one's region. I would hope my Yoruba brothers in the South-West and my Hausa-Fulani brothers in the North would always want to improve their region as well. Give me one instance where Igbos have been sectioning themselves. When we live in other ethnic communities, we respect our host cultures, speak their language and follow their laws. We do not try to section ourselves from the indigenous population. We try to become part of the population. That is why I do not understand why you say Igbos section themselves. Igbos have yet to section themselves, and that is why we are in a political wilderness. We do not speak with one voice in some instances, and many of my people have neglected our homeland. I am sorry, but I think we Igbos need to section ourselves, because my region needs all the support that it can get.
God bless you. We Igbos, simply don't section ourselves enough cool
My experience as a youth corper in Kano simply told me that there is nothing like one Nigeria, because first of all Hausa/Fulani people don't honestly believe in it.
It's only when you come down to Onitsha and Enugu that you have people fooling themselves into believing that there is one Nigeria.
Until we as Igbos understand the mistakes of Zik, Ironsi, that One Nigeria is a fallacy, the better we can survive, because it's the truth.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 7:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
naijaking1:

God bless you. We Igbos, simply don't section ourselves enough cool
My experience as a youth corper in Kano simply told me that there is nothing like one Nigeria, because first of all Hausa/Fulani people don't honestly believe in it.
It's only when you come down to Onitsha and Enugu that you have people fooling themselves into believing that there is one Nigeria.
Until we as Igbos understand the mistakes of Zik, Ironsi, that One Nigeria is a fallacy, the better we can survive, because it's the truth.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. We Igbos must not be fooled again. Our region needs to be developed and that is the task that must be done. Who will improve our homeland other than ourselves? It is time for us to take our destiny in our own hands.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by matazzmagi(m): 7:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
UMU IGBO ka anyi mara kwa na anyi ga afu onwe anyi na anya, makana onwero kwa onye ozo ga acho kwa odimma anyi na obodo hu bu nigeria.O buru kwa na anyi eji ro ofu obi. Unu mara kwa na nso-gbu di kwa,
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by jason123: 7:38pm On Feb 18, 2011
naijaking1:

Sectioning off Igbos is not about "not voting for Igbos at the federal level", it's about making very profound anti-democratic changes that negatively affect Igbos just because an army officer could
Who could have believed that the core-Igbo lands of the SE would be "allocated" 5 states while the desert NW would get 7? Now that's an example of the post war punishment I meant, and that is sectioning off Igbos.

Itupuru nwanyi Hausa onu bu igbu oge lipsrsealed

I do not believe in any post war punishment in play. If it was in play, igbos would not be running the economy. We would not have igbo senate presidents. In fact, the igbo would have been absorbed by one of the other major groups but that has not and would NEVER happen.

Secondly, the land in the north coupled with the population supports the large number of states.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

Like it or not, regional loyalties will continue to stay. This is not peculiar to Nigeria. Most African states that are multi-ethnic have this same focus. Even in parts of Europe, you have people who focus on regional development. There is nothing wrong with regional development.

Most African states are also in desperate need of development still. So are you going to continue what you know has yet to work for those you compare your situation with Or are you going to step out and do things the way we know works? It is really that simple!

EzeUche_:

Every group strive to make their region thriving. That is the point of development, developing one's region. I would hope my Yoruba brothers in the South-West and my Hausa-Fulani brothers in the North would always want to improve their region as well. Give me one instance where Igbos have been sectioning themselves. When we live in other ethnic communities, we respect our host cultures, speak their language and follow their laws.
We do not try to section ourselves from the indigenous population. We try to become part of the population. That is why I do not understand why you say Igbos section themselves. Igbos have yet to section themselves, and that is why we are in a political wilderness. We do not speak with one voice in some instances, and many of my people have neglected our homeland. I am sorry, but I think we Igbos need to section ourselves, because my region needs all the support that it can get.

Sectioning has little to do with where one lives . . . Hausas and Yorubas can make much the same claim of being able to live among other groups. If that was all it took, Nigeria would be at least 20 years ahead of where it is today. An Example is the arab population in europe. You find arabs everywhere but when it comes to politics, they still cling to that in their homelands, and it's a problem some countries are trying to do away with.

You are missing the point and I am beginning to believe you are still mixing things up here. When it comes to politics, we know in Nigeria it remains sectional, and even at that, we cannot say one region (even with all the regional politics going on) is more developed than the other. Why? Because even there, you find some of the most corrupt. At the state level, the problem remains that people still clinging to old crumbling ways of deciding for themselves who ought to lead them. And, the people do not have a voice -- much the same problem you find in every other region. As a result, the region continues to remain underdeveloped when compared to the investments flowing in year after year. This is not a national issue, and certainly not an Ibo issue, nor is it unique to ibos.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2011
jason123:

I do not believe in any post war punishment in play. If it was in play, igbos would not be running the economy. We would not have igbo senate presidents. In fact, the igbo would have been absorbed by one of the other major groups but that has not and would NEVER happen.

Secondly, the land in the north coupled with the population supports the large number of states.

Do you know you are talking about millions of Igbo? We are know as a majority ethnic group for a reason. What I bolded in your post would have never happened, because of our large numbers. Post-war punishment is not something only the Igbos have talked about. The Ijaws, Ogoni, Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi etc have all complained about this post-war punishment. Even from those who fought behalf of the Nigeria consider their region being punished. Why do you think there is a militancy in the Niger Delta? The seeds of this discord can find its roots in the Nigerian Civil War in the immediate aftermath.

Secondly, no one believes the census, because many groups are have been under-counted for years. Even the United Nations do not believe the population numbers for Nigeria.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

[color=#990000]Do you know you are talking about millions of Igbo? We are know as a majority ethnic group for a reason. What I bolded in your post would have never happened, because of our large numbers. Post-war punishment is not something only the Igbos have talked about. The Ijaws, Ogoni, Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi etc have all complained about this post-war punishment. Even from those who fought behalf of the Nigeria consider their region being punished. Why do you think there is a militancy in the Niger Delta? The seeds of this discord can find its roots in the Nigerian Civil War in the immediate aftermath. 
I am not certain MEND will agree with you that there actions are in retaliation to some post war punishment. You may need to go down to the Niger delta area to ask the people themselves of this one.

Also, it also seems the groups you mentioned are themselves trying to section themselves away from the Ibo group, and other groups, when it comes to politics as well. I don't believe these people share the same dreams you do.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by aloyemeka1: 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2011
[size=16pt]Can you people write in English please?. This is not culture section for God's sake.  Where is the moderator?.[/size]
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 7:51pm On Feb 18, 2011
jason123:

Wondering why Igbos run the economy is like wondering why most NBA players are black. If you want the answer just stop by any roadside Igbo "businessman" and ask him or her much government help he's recieved so far.
The answer will be "nothing".
The Igbos have continued to survive in business despite getting only 20 pounds of their money back from Awolowo after the civil war.
Maybe you can respond with some informed and educated reply.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=16pt]Can you people write in English please?. This is not culture section for God's sake. Where is the moderator?.[/size]

Emeka, what's the problem. You can't read Igbo?
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by jason123: 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

Do you know you are talking about millions of Igbo? We are know as a majority ethnic group for a reason. What I bolded in your post would have never happened, because of our large numbers. Post-war punishment is not something only the Igbos have talked about. The Ijaws, Ogoni, Ibibio, Efik, Ekoi etc have all complained about this post-war punishment. Even from those who fought behalf of the Nigeria consider their region being punished. Why do you think there is a militancy in the Niger Delta? The seeds of this discord can find its roots in the Nigerian Civil War in the immediate aftermath.

Secondly, no one believes the census, because many groups are have been under-counted for years. Even the United Nations do not believe the population numbers for Nigeria.

First of all, these other groups you mentioned especially the ijaws are angry because the oil companies have taken their means of livelihood by polluting their rivers. Also, they have been balkalised by the creation of the "WAZOBIA" tripod. Their is no post war punishment. Infact, nowaday we heard "fake MEND" and "real MEND" because they have got one of their own as the ruler of this Nation. All these agitation groups do is just to gain more political power not that they were marginalised. Well, this is my own believe undecided

About the absorbtion, I should not have used that word. My bad, it was an inappropriate word.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Obiagu1(m): 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Can you people write in English please?. This is not culture section for God's sake.  Where is the moderator?.

Hey, shut it there! What we are discussing is pure politics. Now go back and sleep the 2nd time.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by jason123: 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2011
naijaking1:

Wondering why Igbos run the economy is like wondering why most NBA players are black. If you want the answer just stop by any roadside Igbo "businessman" and ask him or her much government help he's recieved so far.
The Igbos have continued to survive in business despite getting only 20 pounds of their money back from Awolowo after the civil war.

You are not serious. First of all, awolowo was the finance minister of NIGERIA not of the yorubas so please do not blame yorubas again. Secondly, 20 pounds was a lot of money back then.
Thridly, I think NO GROUP OR PERSONS have every collected free money from the government, NO GROUP!
Lastly, Nigerians (every group that were against biafra) tried their best to help the igbo man. It was not by shear hard work as you make it seem. The yorubas and Hausas tried their best to bring the igbo man up but economically and politically.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 8:14pm On Feb 18, 2011
jason123:

You are not serious. First of all, awolowo was the finance minister of NIGERIA not of the yorubas so please do not blame yorubas again. Secondly, 20 pounds was a lot of money back then.
Thridly, I think NO GROUP OR PERSONS have every collected free money from the government, NO GROUP!
Lastly, Nigerians (every group that were against biafra) tried their best to help the igbo man. It was not by shear hard work as you make it seem. The yorubas and Hausas tried their best to bring the igbo man up but economically and politically.

It was no special favor that you allowed the Igboman, Lebanese, or even a Chadian to sell merchandise and make some profit in your town, so I don't see how allowing Igbos to succeed in business is any favor.
So 20 pounds was alot of money? Are you saying this when you knew many Igbos had way more than that sum in bank accounts that still had records of their deposits by the end of the war.
Whether you like it or not, Awo was the one as the fin. minister and the brain behind giving Igbos only 20 pounds of their bank deposits post the civil war.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am not certain MEND will agree with you that there actions are in retaliation to some post war punishment. You may need to go down to the Niger delta area to ask the people themselves of this one.

Also, it also seems the groups you mentioned are themselves trying to section themselves away from the Ibo group, and other groups, when it comes to politics as well. I don't believe these people share the same dreams you do.

Who knows what MEND is fighting for these days? Do you know, because I would like to know who they are fighting for? I know they are not fighting for the Niger Delta as a whole, since MEND is perceived as an Ijaw group. And even Ijaws are questioning MEND, because many MEND's leaders have been bought off by the Nigerian government.

What do you mean I need to go down to the Niger Delta? I am from Port Harcourt, the most important city in the entire Niger Delta region.

And you mentioned those groups trying to section themselves away from the Igbo, who wouldn't? The Igbos are blamed for every social ill that impacts this nation and it doesn't take a rocket scientist realize that the Igbos have been marginalized in politics. Even Igbo sub-groups had to distance themselves from the wider Igbo as well.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
EzeUche_:

Who knows what MEND is fighting for these days? Do you know, because I would like to know who they are fighting for? I know they are not fighting for the Niger Delta as a whole, since MEND is perceived as an Ijaw group. And even Ijaws are questioning MEND, because many MEND's leaders have been bought off by the Nigerian government.

What do you mean I need to go down to the Niger Delta? I am from Port Harcourt, the most important city in the entire Niger Delta region.

Well, the one thing we know is MEND never claimed to have any connections with Ibos or their past struggles with the Civil war. In the beginning, they claimed to be fighting for their people’s right to their resources ( again, nothing to do with some post war punishment), and though they continue to, they have not come out to say anything of fighting for Ibos or anything of the sort.
I said to go down to ask the people themselves as they are the best to educate you on what they really fight for, instead of you believing you can link them simply because. I have never heard of such connection to MEND, NEVER!

EzeUche_:

And you mentioned those groups trying to section themselves away from the Igbo, who wouldn't? The Igbos are blamed for every social ill that impacts this nation and it doesn't take a rocket scientist realize that the Igbos have been marginalized in politics. Even Igbo sub-groups had to distance themselves from the wider Igbo as well.
And you do not see how more sectioning is OPPOSITE of what is needed right there in Iboland? undecided
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 8:49pm On Feb 18, 2011
naijaking1:

Chukwu gozie gi. smiley
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by EzeUche2(m): 8:51pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, the one thing we know is MEND never claimed to have any connections with Ibos or their past struggles with the Civil war. In the beginning, they claimed to be fighting for their people’s right to their resources ( again, nothing to do with some post war punishment), and though they continue to, they have not come out to say anything of fighting for Ibos or anything of the sort.
I said to go down to ask the people themselves as they are the best to educate you on what they really fight for, instead of you believing you can link them simply because. I have never heard of such connection to MEND, NEVER!

[b]Isi na-awa m. [/b]Thank you for the circular argument.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
chineke me re m ebere ooo!!! I posted a retort and you asked me to further explain myself. I did, now you claim it is Circular?? ROFLMAO!!
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by fstranger3(m): 9:02pm On Feb 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

chineke me re m ebere ooo!!! I posted a retort and you asked me to further explain myself. I did, now you claim it is Circular?? ROFLMAO!!

Why are you shocked?

Isnt that your stock in trade?
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Abagworo(m): 9:29pm On Feb 18, 2011
@Ezeuche I love your zeal for a unified Igbo with one leader and I so much desire that but nature made us scattered and dis-united.An extreme definition will not put Igbo as a single ethnic group.Our forefathers failed in not forming an all encompassing empire of Igbo speaking peoples but felt relaxed as different independent towns and kingdoms.Only a war in which a sub-group conquers others will unite the Igbos under one leadership.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by naijaking1: 9:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
Abagworo:

@Ezeuche I love your zeal for a unified Igbo with one leader and I so much desire that but nature made us scattered and dis-united.An extreme definition will not put Igbo as a single ethnic group.Our forefathers failed in not forming an all encompassing empire of Igbo speaking peoples but felt relaxed as different independent towns and kingdoms.Only a war in which a sub-group conquers others will unite the Igbos under one leadership.

You have me laughing so hard here!!!
However, when you take a more detailed study of the Igbo problem, you can easily understand it from a a sociological and anthropological perspective.
Groups tend to differentiate and diversify with seperation by natural boundries like water, mountains, etc.
So, it's not uncommon to ease 2 Igbo groups sepearted by say Imo, Niger, or Ulasi rivers having different dialects or even customs because of many years, 100s, or even 1000s of isolation.
This isolation has also tended to promote personal independence above collective survival, but that was then, now we have not only easy means of overcoming this natural boundaries, but a new political reality dictates that we collasce into a significant political group.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by abadaba(m): 10:15pm On Feb 18, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=16pt]Can you people write in English please?. This is not culture section for God's sake. Where is the moderator?.[/size]
Emeka, when Becomerich and co writes in Yoruba language, you do not warn them to stop it, why do this to Ndigbo?.
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by fstranger3(m): 10:23pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^^

Because the Yoruba language is superior to the Igbo
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by matazzmagi(m): 10:37pm On Feb 18, 2011
Ka anyi tuo nu vote,ka anyi mara onye ga edu
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Feb 18, 2011
matazzmagi:

Ka anyi tuo nu vote,ka anyi mara onye ga edu

Sure . . . will you INCLUDE the votes of  all of Ibo people in iboland who do not care for your ideas of having one person rule all of ibo land, or are they not entitled to an opinion, or say in all this?
Re: Onye Ga Edu Anyi? by matazzmagi(m): 10:44pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^ Nwanyi ebe a abu ghi ebe ana aso igbo aka azu!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

90% Of Our Forefathers Fumbled Seriously.4k Tradition And Culture! / Names Of Some Animals In Igbo Language / Before Osun Becomes Second Yoruba Settlement To Discriminate Its Christain Side

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.