Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) (7222 Views)

Odinani And African Spirituality. / Charm Preparation And Odinani Igbo Is Two Different Things. / The Jewish Torah And The Igbo Odinani. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by BIXYBABE: 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

Abeg, I Wan make we interact properly.. Wire me dm me your WhatsApp number
Hello, how are you?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by OruExpress: 2:17pm On Aug 24, 2020
cool thread

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by letu(m): 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:
Cc gwafaeziokwu, CAPSLOCKED, Ibuewuoffia, letu, Omaricha002, OruExpress,Gjrich, IduNaOba, jollofmonster, BIXYBABE, Godons1, obiekunie2,sonmvayina, izuswift, UdechiHD, bunbit23, IgboPikin, Ugwuoke347
Nice one @ PAGAN9JA but I'm very much fascinated with those esoteric Carvings on the walls of the houses in the pictures you posted, one thing remains the fact which is who ever that knows will be the one to understand these Carvings, indeed we are the ancient one's and also the original people.

7 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 2:56pm On Aug 24, 2020
letu:
Nice one @ PAGAN9JA but I'm very much fascinated with those esoteric Carvings on the walls of the houses in the pictures you posted, one thing remains the fact which is who ever that knows will be the one to understand these Carvings, indeed we are the ancient one's and also the original people.

CHUKWU gozie...

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 2:58pm On Aug 24, 2020
BIXYBABE:
Hello, how are you?

Am Kool.. How your week coming? Hope good.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by BIXYBABE: 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

Am Kool.. How your week coming? Hope good.
yes

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 5:00pm On Aug 24, 2020
BIXYBABE:
yes

Are you igbo?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by BIXYBABE: 5:22pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

Are you igbo?
yes but i was born and brought up in lagos.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

So does this dead white jew man bring wealth?

Don't mind them.... they'll keep believing in that idiot.....

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
THE ONE TRUE RELIGION.

Well, but some people think it's a middle East God that cares for them

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

CHUKWU gozie...

Ya goziekwa gi na onye dere ihe a......

I just love our traditional religion....they flow very well with humans not one drunk sky daddy from the middle east

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2020
solite3:
Dont die without Jesus

It doesnt matter who you are! you might be a good person, an upright person

It doesn't matter your status! You might be rich or poor, educated or non educated,

One thing is sure you will die someday and appear before the great Judge.

Acts 17:31
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Non of your qualifications, attributes, religion or otherwise can save you.

Mark 8:36-37 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

You work so hard to secure your earthly life, you work so hard to ensure you are healthy and presentable before humans, what about eternity? What about your state before God? How can you be presentable before a God who is so Holy that he cannot stand a speck of iniquity?
There is only one way
Yes not two or three but just one, and that is Jesus the messiah and his finished work on the cross.

Jesus hung for atleast three hours in pains and sorrow carrying your sins on himself so that you could escape that unfortunate fate of eternity in the lake of fire.

He died in plains for your soul, so that hell will not take hold on your soul.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

What you need to do to be saved?

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

1. Repent (have a change of heart towards God)
2. Believe (trust) in the Lord Jesus as your saviour, receiving his sacrifice on your behalf.
God will give you his Spirit, which will empower you to live a victorious life above sin.

To grow spiritually, you need to yellowish with Christians and sturdy the bible daily.

I.dont know if I should insult you or.....

Carry this white MF out of here....when he brings peace to the middle east where he comes from,he should then go and sleep

4 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2020
Beautiful history and culture.

But religions tend to limit the development of a people as they're absolute, static, and limit development of science and technology.

Shouldn't we, as African youths, be working to get rid of religions, both Abrahamic religions and local ones, and embracing science?

We're in the age of science and technology now.

I feel that should be our focus, instead of religion.

Even the local gods and their religions couldn't prevent our forefathers from being colonized by European and Arabian slavemasters and warmongers.

I feel it's better to just pick certain benefits (that are reasonable and backed by science) from those religions (whether local or imported), instead of going back to the barbaric practices of these religions.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 6:39pm On Aug 24, 2020
BIXYBABE:
yes but i was born and brought up in lagos.

OK.. Add me on WhatsApp : oh ate oh tri tri six ate tri ate tri six..
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 6:41pm On Aug 24, 2020
Xavfra:

Well, but some people think it's a middle East God that cares for them

Don't mind them.. Ndi aturu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

Don't mind them.. Ndi aturu

Aswrrr.......

I'll keep being hard on them till they have sense

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:57pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

Abeg, I Wan make we interact properly.. Wire me dm me your WhatsApp number

I don't engage in whatsapp for now. But if you are on facebook I would suggest you to join the group Igbo Spirituality Revivalists (ISR) . There is a budding group of enthusiasts there. I will follow you up later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:59pm On Aug 24, 2020
descarado:
Lalasticlala please can you help this get more views?

At topic, from the pictures and the stories behind them, most religions have lots of things in common e.g. goddess of fertility. Though some are well hidden under different narration to make people accept they are not worshipping idol. Lol.

Good topic for discussion pagan9ja

All Tribal Animist religions around the world have the the same core concept . They are natural Spiritual religions.

They need to be saved for the balance of the Earth and nature to be maintained.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 6:59pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

I don't engage in whatsapp for now. But if you are on facebook I would suggest you to join the group Igbo Spirituality Revivalists (ISR) . There is a budding group of enthusiasts there. I will follow you up later.
wao.. I have been following them for long..

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by CAPSLOCKED: 7:00pm On Aug 24, 2020
Xavfra:

I.dont know if I should insult you or.....

Carry this white MF out of here....when he brings peace to the middle east where he comes from,he should then go and sleep

THEY'RE MESSING UP OUR THREAD AND RELIGION. BUT ONCE IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THEIRS THEY REMEMBER RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND OTHER NONSENSE THEY TALK ABOUT. HISTORY SHOWS CHRISTIANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOUNDARIES. THEY WANT THEIR RELIGION TO BE RESPECTED AND ABSOLVED FROM CRITICISMS BUT ALWAYS WANT TO ENFORCE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES ON EVERYONE ELSE.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:01pm On Aug 24, 2020
letu:

Good point. The makeshift Igbo shrines erected today have lost the essence because they don't utilize native craftsmanship and symbolism as the meanings and skills behind the carvings are forgotten although they still exist in the memories of elders and in colonial accounts.

So to revive them one must compile information from the elders before they pass away. It is of utmost importance. In cognisance with existing legitimate Dbias and interested youth.

Also our religious artefacts need to be brought back from foreign collectors for a closer thorough examination.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:01pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:
wao.. I have been following them for long..

Good. Stay there.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On Aug 24, 2020
Xavfra:

Don't mind them.... they'll keep believing in that idiot.....

Better to ignore them I feel. They just need attention to fuel their ignorance and arrogance.

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:17pm On Aug 24, 2020
gensteejay:
Beautiful history and culture.

But religions tend to limit the development of a people as they're absolute, static, and limit development of science and technology.

Shouldn't we, as African youths, be working to get rid of religions, both Abrahamic religions and local ones, and embracing science?

We're in the age of science and technology now.

I feel that should be our focus, instead of religion.

Even the local gods and their religions couldn't prevent our forefathers from being colonized by European and Arabian slavemasters and warmongers.

I feel it's better to just pick certain benefits (that are reasonable and backed by science) from those religions (whether local or imported), instead of going back to the barbaric practices of these religions.

The point herein is that Pagan Animist Tribal religions are not like abrahamic religions.

They are deeply intertwined with our indigenous culture and independent ideology and thought process.

For example, it is because of our indigenous religion that many of our indigenous animals and plants have survived and been protected in sacred groves and totemic reverence.

When we talking about traditional religion we are talking about preserving our natural ecosystem and (tribal) societal balance as well.

Therefore it becomes of utmost importance to preserve them.

Our natural religions are non-proselytizing so they can co-exist harmoniously with any religion. As a Pagan I can visit a mosque and church although I prefer not to because I don't get back the same respect for my beliefs and culture in return.

Animism is Spiritual Sciences . It keeps our mind open to the existence of unlimited posibilities. What you are inferring about religious is based on your exposure to an abrahamic upbringing and environment so you don't really understand where we are coming from.

When I read your tirade on Wole Soyinka I understood that you don't understand his ideology. It is the same as ours. Ogun is a part of his existence. Whether he worships it or not he respects and participates in it.

As a born Pagan I never went through any process of conversion. I joined my people in local festivals and rituals and that was it. It is a part of our natural unique existence.

Many of the great Greek scientists such as Archimedes, Aristotle, Pythagoras, Euclids etc., were fervent Pagans themselves. There spirituality never interfered with their quest for science as there was no dictat to stop them in their pursuit. These are entirely two different subject matters.

Indigenous religion leads to Nationalism and anti-colonialism but unfortunetly it was stunted at a very early phase in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. (Although there were isolated cases as well where indigenous religion took on an anti-colonial role).

Japan and India capitalized on using traditional religion as a catalyst to sucessfully inspire anti-colonialism just as the UK and Western Europe used christianity to justify colonialism. We were too late and divided in this race because we could not recognize our diverse similarities and forge it into a unified force.

In conclusion, I would say it is better to recinstrct traditional religion and reform it keeping core concepts intact.

Africans and human beings in general need spirituality in their lives. This is practical. We need to decolonize and opt for the best alternative that suits our natural psych. Our ancestors already laid out the pathway for us. We just need to believe in ourselves.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:18pm On Aug 24, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

THEY'RE MESSING UP OUR THREAD AND RELIGION. BUT ONCE IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THEIRS THEY REMEMBER RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND OTHER NONSENSE THEY TALK ABOUT. HISTORY SHOWS CHRISTIANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOUNDARIES. THEY WANT THEIR RELIGION TO BE RESPECTED AND ABSOLVED FROM CRITICISMS BUT ALWAYS WANT TO ENFORCE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES ON EVERYONE ELSE.

They are highly intolerant and despicable. The abrahamic faiths. It is disgusting. They are directly or indirectly responsible for most of the problems plaguing the world today.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 7:25pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Good. Stay there.

With pleasure..

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

The point herein is that Pagan Animist Tribal religions are not like abrahamic religions.

They are deeply intertwined with our indigenous culture and independent ideology and thought process.

For example, it is because of our indigenous religion that many of our indigenous animals and plants have survived and been protected in sacred groves and totemic reverence.

When we talking about traditional religion we are talking about preserving our natural ecosystem and (tribal) societal balance as well.

Therefore it becomes of utmost importance to preserve them.

Our natural religions are non-proselytizing so they can co-exist harmoniously with any religion. As a Pagan I can visit a mosque and church although I prefer not to because I don't get back the same respect for my beliefs and culture in return.

Animism is Spiritual Sciences . It keeps our mind open to the existence of unlimited posibilities. What you are inferring about religious is based on your exposure to an abrahamic upbringing and environment so you don't really understand where we are coming from.

When I read your tirade on Wole Soyinka I understood that you don't understand his ideology. It is the same as ours. Ogun is a part of his existence. Whether he worships it or not he respects and participates in it.

As a born Pagan I never went through any process of conversion. I joined my people in local festivals and rituals and that was it. It is a part of our natural unique existence.

Many of the great Greek scientists such as Archimedes, Aristotle, Pythagoras, Euclids etc., were fervent Pagans themselves. There spirituality never interfered with their quest for science as there was no dictat to stop them in their pursuit. These are entirely two different subject matters.

Indigenous religion leads to Nationalism and anti-colonialism but unfortunetly it was stunted at a very early phase in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. (Although there were isolated cases as well where indigenous religion took on an anti-colonial role).

Japan and India capitalized on using traditional religion as a catalyst to sucessfully inspire anti-colonialism just as the UK and Western Europe used christianity to justify colonialism. We were too late and divided in this race because we could not recognize our diverse similarities and forge it into a unified force.

In conclusion, I would say it is better to recinstrct traditional religion and reform it keeping core concepts intact.

Africans and human beings in general need spirituality in their lives. This is practical. We need to decolonize and opt for the best alternative that suits our natural psych. Our ancestors already laid out the pathway for us. We just need to believe in ourselves.
Well done.

Everyone needs to develop their spirituality but not through Islam and Christianity which are tools of mind control and mental slavery.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:31pm On Aug 24, 2020
gensteejay:

Well done.

Everyone needs to develop their spirituality but not through Islam and Christianity which are tools of mind control and mental slavery.

True. Gods Bless. smiley
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:32pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

With pleasure..

smiley
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by descarado: 8:05pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Good point. The makeshift Igbo shrines erected today have lost the essence because they don't utilize native craftsmanship and symbolism as the meanings and skills behind the carvings are forgotten although they still exist in the memories of elders and in colonial accounts.

So to revive them one must compile information from the elders before they pass away. It is of utmost importance. In cognisance with existing legitimate Dbias and interested youth.

Also our religious artefacts need to be brought back from foreign collectors for a closer thorough examination.
There is one I have visited in my village as a kid( we usually fetch firewood at the back. Big thick forest). I can remember seeing some old women always sweeping that big shrine. Everywhere is carved. Those carvings reminded me of st Peter's basilica in Rome. There is one kindergarten hall built there outside the shrine. The artefacts in that shrine are still preserved till date.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by descarado: 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

They are highly intolerant and despicable. The abrahamic faiths. It is disgusting. They are directly or indirectly responsible for most of the problems plaguing the world today.
Say that again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prophet T.b Joshua Prophecy For 2016 / My Prayer For Your Money Flow Today / Problems with Abiogenesis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.