Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) (7230 Views)

Odinani And African Spirituality. / Charm Preparation And Odinani Igbo Is Two Different Things. / The Jewish Torah And The Igbo Odinani. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:48am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

A god that is represented in items is not God! Those gods had to be represented materially because they are no gods, their power is only in the minds of the worshipers.

Even your God is represented by a bearded man nailed to a cross or a grandfather-like figure with a long beard. The muslims bow towards the ka'aba for a reason. The point being they have to bow towards something.

Idolatry is human nature. Humans are material beings. That is fact. We belong to the material realm and we can relate to the spiritual world only through material means (idols).

Don't tell me when you close your eyes and pray to your god, you don't envision some form or image of him? If you don't then its a lie! Even the most fanatical christian or muslim has an image of god in their mind's eye! grin

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:51am On Aug 25, 2020
descarado:

I'm so far away from there. Actually, most of these shrines are well preserved in my place. All villages that made up my town has one. The most visited isn't in my village. Not long ago, I was reading some stuffs about my place and the names of these shrines were mentioned.
New king begins his coronation from the shrine.

Ofala, new yam festivals, nze title etc starts from the shrine.
So much activities. That kindergarten school is still functioning with state paid teacher. It's called udo

Oh is it,...very interesting. It will be well worth a visit.

What is your village again?

In many cases what happens is that the shrine might still be there in its original location. However, the original wooden idols and carvings may not be there anymore and may be substituted with new ones which may not carry the authentic iconography.

A lot of the Alusi shrine figures and masks were smuggled out of Nigeria to fuel the Biafra-Nigerian War in the Early 70s and are still circulating in the global artefact market and auction houses to date.

However if it has survived unmolested in your region then it is wonderful.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
1. Obula Mmau, Daughter Masks. Nri-Awka Igbo Masquerade, Amuobia

2. Iro Ekpetu (Merciless) Mmau Masquerade, Amuda village, Isu Ochi.

3. Eju Onu (Long Mouth) Mmau Masquerade, Amuda village, Isu Ochi

4. Eju Onu (Long Mouth) Mmau Masquerade, Amuda village, Isu Ochi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by descarado: 1:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
grin
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Xmuslim: 1:59pm On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

But your local gods are nothing but wood, metals and stones etc, Is it not foolish to worship inanimate object made like animals and four footed beast?

First, Is wood god not better than the imaginary unseen god that you worship? Think about it. You are worshiping an empty image created in your mind. Who is more foolish here grin

Second, I don't worship any gods including the wood god. I only said I preferred the local gods because it promote the local culture

3rd, for record purpose, I don't support all the rituals of the pegans nor support their philosophy in totality. I'm only interested in the culture aspect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Xmuslim: 2:10pm On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

A god that is represented in items is not God! Those gods had to be represented materially because they are no gods, their power is only in the minds of the worshipers.

@bolded, as far as I'm concerned, the power of the gods in all religions including yours is only in the mind of the worshipers.

You pray to God or Jesus that you don't see and you believe he has answered your prayers. If that's is not a mind thing, I wonder what it is.

The time I will believe that a particular god actually intervene in our affairs is when such god could respond to whatever we ask.

For example, such god knows that we're debating his existence or at least his intervention. So the test should not be difficult. If we gather in a place and ask such God to do many things and he does them without our imput, then I will start taking him seriously.

For now he's irrelevant in our lives even if he exist

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
descarado:
grin

Strange why did you remove that post? shocked
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
Xmuslim:

First, Is wood god not better than the imaginary unseen god that you worship? Think about it. You are worshiping an empty image created in your mind. Who is more foolish here grin

Second, I don't worship any gods including the wood god. I only said I preferred the local gods because it promote the local culture

3rd, for record purpose, I don't support all the rituals of the pegans nor support their philosophy in totality. I'm only interested in the culture aspect.

Actually I have observed many Asians (Chinese, Indians, Japanese). Many of them although bordering on atheism or outright atheists in their convictions still practice the rituals and culture of their ancestors along with their families, attend the religious festivals, grow up hearing the stories of their mythologies, etc. Religion is not really an issue but rather an aspect of their cultural identity. It is not an organized religion so it is not seen as something separate or in clash with their thinking.

Check out this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3655632/odinani-atheist

Nigerian atheists are not able to understand what exactly Traditional Religion is and tend to paint it with the same brush as organized abrahamic faiths. The reason being they follow the same line of thought as Western Atheists who are from abrahamic backgrounds and environments. Therefore their notions of what a religions is and should be is based on the same.

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by jcross19: 8:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
THE ONE TRUE RELIGION.
This is the reason Africa is in deep pit!!!!! until emancipate your soul from this dark energy, you will ever remain in circle.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:05pm On Aug 25, 2020
1. Dancing initiation masks, Boys initiation, Nkporro Igbo

2. Dancing initiation masks, Boys initiation, Nkporro Igbo

3. Dancing initiation masks, Boys initiation, Nkporro Igbo

4.Dancing initiation masks, Boys initiation, Nkporro Igbo

1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by donnie(m): 10:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
This is what we practiced until we went into captivity.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
1. Dibia Shrine Priest of the Obunkwa getting ready to perform the libation rite

2. Members of a research team sitting in the Obunkwa Shrine, Asaga Ohafia

3. The tradition bearer of Obunkwa Shrine's history sitting with a researcher, Asaga Ohafia

4. Shrine figure, a big pot and other items in the Obunkwa Shrine, Asaga Ohafia

1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
donnie:
This is what we practiced until we went into captivity.

So what are you going to do about it? Remain in captivity forever
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by donnie(m): 10:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

So what are you going to do about it? Remain in captivity forever

Do you believe the bible?

Deuteronomy 4:27-31
[27]And YAHUAH shall scatter you among the nations, and ye shall be left few in number among the heathen, whither YAHUAH shall lead you.
[28]And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.
[29]But if from thence thou shalt seek YAHUAH thy ELOHIYM, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
[30]When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to YAHUAH thy ELOHIYM, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
[31](For YAHUAH thy ELOHIYM is a merciful EL) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
1. Alusi Uma Ukpai's wife in the Obunkwa Shrine, Asaga Ohafia

2. Alusi Uma Ukpai, the Presiding Alusi Deity of the Obunkwa Shrine with his Spirit wife on his shoulder, Asaga Ohafia

3. Shrine figure of a lady returning from the stream carrying a pot of water, Asaga Ohafia

4. Okogo in the Obunkwa Shrine (contains musical instruments), Asaga Ohafia

1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:35pm On Aug 25, 2020
donnie:

Do you believe the bible?

No I don't. Some lessons are good in it but others are plain nonsense gibberish. To me the bible is like any other book, except that it is a destructive one and has caused harm to my people and indigenous tribespeople around the world.

Anyways, carry on with your captivity and bondage status to the middle eastern mountain deity and the carpenter's son.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:44pm On Aug 25, 2020
1. Alusi Ibin Ukpabi Shrine at the Obunkwa, Asaga Ohafia

2. Obunkwa Shrine complex, Asaga Ohafia

3. Ohafia Totem Post of different figures in
front of Ndi Odo hall, now in ruined state, Asaga Ohafia

4. Ohafia Totem Post in front of Ndi Odo hall, in former days of Glory

1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by donnie(m): 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

No I don't. Some lessons are good in it but others are plain nonsense gibberish. To me the bible is like any other book, except that it is a destructive one and has caused harm to my people and indigenous tribespeople around the world.

Anyways, carry on with your captivity and bondage status to the middle eastern mountain deity and the carpenter's son.

I only asked a question. I did not go on to denigrate your belief even though I know all such are doomed for destruction.

And Mount Zion, YAH's holy mountain is not in the middle East, but in Africa.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
donnie:

I only asked a question. I did not go on to denigrate your belief even though I know all such are doomed for destruction.

Funny.

Where exactly in Africa? And Africa is just a landmass. A continent. There are people of diverse origins and cultures all across Africa. You can't generalise like a layman if you are engaging in scholarly discourse.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 26, 2020
It's very possible to value one's culture without being religious.

As regards spirituality, everyone has a "spiritual" aspect of them, that inner part that seeks meaning and purpose in life.

One can develop one's spirituality without belonging to a particular religion. In fact, all the religions are man-made and tools of mind control.

There are few elements of truth in all religions; it could be wiser to merely pick things to benefit in those religions rather than being devoted to a particular religion.

Enough said.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 26, 2020
sonmvayina:

How old are you self? So you mean you have not figured out that Jesus is a fictional character.. Hmm, your matter tire me oh

So you still have not known that Jesus is a scam. You really think if there was any power or the story was real, the European will give him to you?.. Wake up from your slumber
Do you even know the meaning of fictional character?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 26, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Even your God is represented by a bearded man nailed to a cross or a grandfather-like figure with a long beard. The muslims bow towards the ka'aba for a reason. The point being they have to bow towards something.

Idolatry is human nature. Humans are material beings. That is fact. We belong to the material realm and we can relate to the spiritual world only through material means (idols).

Don't tell me when you close your eyes and pray to your god, you don't envision some form or image of him? If you don't then its a lie! Even the most fanatical christian or muslim has an image of god in their mind's eye! grin

My God cannot be represented by any man made object.

Any body can make anything and call it God, but the true God cannot be represented by physical object.

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 26, 2020
Worshipping graven images that represent various demons, it shows the depravity of the human nature.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 10:50am On Aug 26, 2020
solite3:
Do you even know the meaning of fictional character?

He is just a character in a story, much like incredible hulk or Spiderman or Harry Potter.... Why are you worshipping him? Nobody ask you to.. God does not need a mediator or intermediary. Hence he gave a commandment "do not have any other God before me.. Secondly he also comanded" do not make the image or likeness of anything in heaven, on earth or under the waters below the earth do not bow down to them or serve them. "you are worshipping the image and likeness of a man, something that is found on earth.. And you don't see anything wrong with it?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 11:29am On Aug 26, 2020
donnie:

You are not well at all.. Please see a psychiatrist ASAP
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by donnie(m): 12:57pm On Aug 26, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Funny.

Where exactly in Africa? And Africa is just a landmass. A continent. There are people of diverse origins and cultures all across Africa. You can't generalise like a layman if you are engaging in scholarly discourse.

7 Ancient Maps of Africa showing that MOUNT KENYA is the actual MOUNT ZION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfikHjojDF8

Go research about the Gikuyu seers who have watched over that Holy mountain for centuries as guardians of the Ancient Scrolls and the biblical Ark of Covenant.

We are not talking here about bowing down to wood and stone that can neither see, speak nor hear. Customs that your father's learnt from Egypt, for which reason they were punished.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by eplanning: 2:58pm On Aug 26, 2020
donnie:

7 Ancient Maps of Africa showing that MOUNT KENYA is the actual MOUNT ZION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfikHjojDF8

Go research about the Gikuyu seers who have watched over that Holy mountain for centuries as guardians of the Ancient Scrolls and the biblical Ark of Covenant.

We are not talking here about bowing down to wood and stone that can neither see, speak nor hear. Customs that your father's learnt from Egypt, for which reason they were punished.

UNDENIABLE
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by eplanning: 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2020
solite3:
Worshipping graven images that represent various demons, it shows the depravity of the human nature.

They call it African religion. As far as I'm concerned, the Hebrew tradition is African tradition in it's pureness without Idolatory.

But idolatrous Israelites like to lump Idolatory and Africanness together.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by eplanning: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

1. Alusi Ibin Ukpabi Shrine at the Obunkwa, Asaga Ohafia

2. Obunkwa Shrine complex, Asaga Ohafia

3. Ohafia Totem Post of different figures in
front of Ndi Odo hall, now in ruined state, Asaga Ohafia

4. Ohafia Totem Post in front of Ndi Odo hall, in former days of Glory

Ibin Ukpabi the Oracle where convicted criminals were supposedly eaten by the gods. But unknown to the people, these "criminals" were sent through the backdoor to Calabar where they were sold as slaves and shipped to the Americas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/139281680182/an-entrance-to-the-ibini-ukpabi-oracle-or-the/amp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SERMON JOTTERS: Mystery Of Divine Assistance {sunday Service} - Dr. D.K Olukoya / Andy Uba In Adultery Mess As Pastor Mistress Delivers / Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.