Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) (7227 Views)

Odinani And African Spirituality. / Charm Preparation And Odinani Igbo Is Two Different Things. / The Jewish Torah And The Igbo Odinani. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2020
Xavfra:

I.dont know if I should insult you or.....

Carry this white MF out of here....when he brings peace to the middle east where he comes from,he should then go and sleep
I will be happy to be insulted for Jesus sake. There can not be peace in this world not only the middle east until humans turn to the true God.

Isaiah 45:22
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

John 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

It is a personal decision
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 24, 2020
Dont get blinded by tribal sentiment. The truth knows no colour.
It is either God or the devil there is no middle ground.
God has open the door for all nations of the earth to be saved.
Dont let satan keep you out from God's grace by using, tribe or gender.
Jesus died for you all, listen God has flung the gate of eternal life open to all who will come to Jesus.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 24, 2020
solite3:
Dont get blinded by tribal sentiment. The truth knows no colour.
It is either God or the devil there is no middle ground.
God has open the door for all nations of the earth to be saved.
Dont let satan keep you out from God's grace by using, tribe or gender.
Jesus died for you all, listen God has flung the gate of eternal life open to all who will come to Jesus.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Stop derailing the thread.

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Xmuslim: 8:59pm On Aug 24, 2020
solite3:

Jesus hung for atleast three hours in pains and sorrow carrying your sins on himself so that you could escape that unfortunate fate of eternity in the lake of fire.

He died in plains for your soul, so that hell will not take hold on your soul

I did not ask him to die for me. Stop spreading lies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Xmuslim: 9:06pm On Aug 24, 2020
solite3:
I will be happy to be insulted for Jesus sake. There can not be peace in this world not only the middle east until humans turn to the true God.

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

John 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

stop quoting this story book as if it is the ultimate truth. It is nauseating. I don't follow any religion, but I prefer this local gods to your jesus

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Xmuslim: 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2020
solite3:

Your god must be fòolish to have sent his only begotten son to die a useless death for our sin, when he could have just forgiven the whole world without blood sacrifice.

Sorry for my harshness. This ideology of God killing his son to forgive humanity is extremely ridiculous

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Godons1: 9:12pm On Aug 24, 2020
This looks like Yoruba tradition.

God bless Nigeria

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by BIXYBABE: 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2020
sonmvayina:

OK.. Add me on WhatsApp : oh ate oh tri tri six ate tri ate tri six..
Alright
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Bojack(m): 2:24am On Aug 25, 2020
Igbo Amaka

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 4:46am On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Good point. The makeshift Igbo shrines erected today have lost the essence because they don't utilize native craftsmanship and symbolism as the meanings and skills behind the carvings are forgotten although they still exist in the memories of elders and in colonial accounts.

So to revive them one must compile information from the elders before they pass away. It is of utmost importance. In cognisance with existing legitimate Dbias and interested youth.

Also our religious artefacts need to be brought back from foreign collectors for a closer thorough examination.

I agree.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 4:48am On Aug 25, 2020
Xavfra:

I.dont know if I should insult you or.....

Carry this white MF out of here....when he brings peace to the middle east where he comes from,he should then go and sleep

LMAO grin
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 4:58am On Aug 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

THEY'RE MESSING UP OUR THREAD AND RELIGION. BUT ONCE IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THEIRS THEY REMEMBER RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND OTHER NONSENSE THEY TALK ABOUT. HISTORY SHOWS CHRISTIANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOUNDARIES. THEY WANT THEIR RELIGION TO BE RESPECTED AND ABSOLVED FROM CRITICISMS BUT ALWAYS WANT TO ENFORCE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES ON EVERYONE ELSE.

That’s very true. That person spamming this thread, needs to be banned. There are numerous christian threads to spew that stuff on. This reeks of religious intolerance. What happened to live and let live? These are the same ignoramuses that would go about burning shrines.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 5:05am On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

The point herein is that Pagan Animist Tribal religions are not like abrahamic religions.

They are deeply intertwined with our indigenous culture and independent ideology and thought process.

For example, it is because of our indigenous religion that many of our indigenous animals and plants have survived and been protected in sacred groves and totemic reverence.

When we talking about traditional religion we are talking about preserving our natural ecosystem and (tribal) societal balance as well.

Therefore it becomes of utmost importance to preserve them.

Our natural religions are non-proselytizing so they can co-exist harmoniously with any religion. As a Pagan I can visit a mosque and church although I prefer not to because I don't get back the same respect for my beliefs and culture in return.

Animism is Spiritual Sciences . It keeps our mind open to the existence of unlimited posibilities. What you are inferring about religious is based on your exposure to an abrahamic upbringing and environment so you don't really understand where we are coming from.

When I read your tirade on Wole Soyinka I understood that you don't understand his ideology. It is the same as ours. Ogun is a part of his existence. Whether he worships it or not he respects and participates in it.

As a born Pagan I never went through any process of conversion. I joined my people in local festivals and rituals and that was it. It is a part of our natural unique existence.

Many of the great Greek scientists such as Archimedes, Aristotle, Pythagoras, Euclids etc., were fervent Pagans themselves. There spirituality never interfered with their quest for science as there was no dictat to stop them in their pursuit. These are entirely two different subject matters.

Indigenous religion leads to Nationalism and anti-colonialism but unfortunetly it was stunted at a very early phase in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. (Although there were isolated cases as well where indigenous religion took on an anti-colonial role).

Japan and India capitalized on using traditional religion as a catalyst to sucessfully inspire anti-colonialism just as the UK and Western Europe used christianity to justify colonialism. We were too late and divided in this race because we could not recognize our diverse similarities and forge it into a unified force.

In conclusion, I would say it is better to recinstrct traditional religion and reform it keeping core concepts intact.

Africans and human beings in general need spirituality in their lives. This is practical. We need to decolonize and opt for the best alternative that suits our natural psych. Our ancestors already laid out the pathway for us. We just need to believe in ourselves.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 25, 2020
Phut:

LMAO grin

angryGood morning

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

Good morning chairman......

But the problem is that the person you are getting insulted for is not and will never take suffering for you.... he'll keep.on enjoying while you suffer

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Better to ignore them I feel. They just need attention to fuel their ignorance and arrogance.

Very true....

Ka Chukwu goziekwa gi na ezinaulo gi ofuma
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 25, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

THEY'RE MESSING UP OUR THREAD AND RELIGION. BUT ONCE IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THEIRS THEY REMEMBER RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND OTHER NONSENSE THEY TALK ABOUT. HISTORY SHOWS CHRISTIANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOUNDARIES. THEY WANT THEIR RELIGION TO BE RESPECTED AND ABSOLVED FROM CRITICISMS BUT ALWAYS WANT TO ENFORCE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES ON EVERYONE ELSE.

LMAO.....but they claim Muslims are extremists.....meanwhile they've not obeyed Jesus when he said they should first remove the log of wood in their eyes....
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Sheunma: 7:52am On Aug 25, 2020
We need to have more of these in this section.

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 25, 2020
Xmuslim:
stop quoting this story book as if it is the ultimate truth. It is nauseating. I don't follow any religion, but I prefer this local gods to your jesus
But your local gods are nothing but wood, metals and stones etc, Is it not foolish to worship inanimate object made like animals and four footed beast?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 8:06am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

But your local gods are nothing but wood, metals and stones etc, Is it not foolish to worship inanimate object made like animals and four footed beast?
But you're worshipping a human nailed to the cross like a common criminal? Your fictitious Jesus couldn't even save himself from being humiliated and crucified like criminals.

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:14am On Aug 25, 2020
descarado:

There is one I have visited in my village as a kid( we usually fetch firewood at the back. Big thick forest). I can remember seeing some old women always sweeping that big shrine. Everywhere is carved. Those carvings reminded me of st Peter's basilica in Rome. There is one kindergarten hall built there outside the shrine. The artefacts in that shrine are still preserved till date.

Wow! Interesting. That must be one of the few surviving old Mbari Shrines.

If you ever go there, do care to share with us some pictures and information you obtain from there. That would be helpful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:16am On Aug 25, 2020
Sheunma:
We need to have more of these in this section.

There used to be more at one time. Many of the previous intelligent posters of old have deactivated from Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:19am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:

The idol is an object used to aid/in worship. It is a ritual object. It is a tangible (material) item used to symbolize and represent an intangible element (a spirit).

Just as your National Flag represents your Nation; So does the idol represent the God.

Just as you would dare not step on your nation's flag or your holy book; one being a symbolic representation of the nation, the other of your god, so too we revere our idols as they become what they represent. They are our connection to the spiritual realm.

Although as Pagans we believe that a spirit/spiritual force is present in everything around us, when we worship the idol, we do not worship the wood/stone itself but what it represents (The Spirit). Over time, the idol becomes sacred but the spirit resides within the idol,i.e., it is represented by the idol.

We humans give life to our Gods and they infuse life into us. It works both ways.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:28am On Aug 25, 2020
The truth is, humans are materialistic in nature. That is natural. We cannot relate with something unless we see, touch, hear, smell, or apply any of the 5 senses on something.

The Spirits being a force are naturally intangible. We cannot see, hear, smell, touch or taste. In other sense, they exist in non existence. They are a spiritual force. An inexplicable force.

Thus our wise ancestors created idols to use a material means to contact the spiritual realm. A simple device but effective. When a sacrifice is offered to an idol. The idol doesn't drink the blood. But the symbolic act of the sacrifice or giving is itself intangible and is accepted by the intangible spirits.

Thus a material device was used to relate a spiritual being to a material one (Human).

The carvings, make and rituals of every tribe is based on their natural psych passed down from their ancestors. Every tribe has its own unqiue style.

I an easily tell the difference between an Igbo, Ijaw or a Yoruba idol.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 25, 2020
gensteejay:

But you're worshipping a human nailed to the cross like a common criminal? Your fictitious Jesus couldn't even save himself from being humiliated and crucified like criminals.
Jesus did that for me because he loved me, what has your your god done for you?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by descarado: 9:34am On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Wow! Interesting. That must be one of the few surviving old Mbari Shrines.

If you ever go there, do care to share with us some pictures and information you obtain from there. That would be helpful.
I'm so far away from there. Actually, most of these shrines are well preserved in my place. All villages that made up my town has one. The most visited isn't in my village. Not long ago, I was reading some stuffs about my place and the names of these shrines were mentioned.
New king begins his coronation from the shrine.

Ofala, new yam festivals, nze title etc starts from the shrine.
So much activities. That kindergarten school is still functioning with state paid teacher. It's called udo

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 25, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

The idol is an object used to aid/in worship. It is a ritual object. It is a tangible (material) item used to symbolize and represent an intangible element (a spirit).

Just as your National Flag represents your Nation; So does the idol represent the God.

Just as you would dare not step on your nation's flag or your holy book; one being a symbolic representation of the nation, the other of your god, so too we revere our idols as they become what they represent. They are our connection to the spiritual realm.

Although as Pagans we believe that a spirit/spiritual force is present in everything around us, when we worship the idol, we do not worship the wood/stone itself but what it represents (The Spirit). Over time, the idol becomes sacred but the spirit resides within the idol,i.e., it is represented by the idol.

We humans give life to our Gods and they infuse life into us. It works both ways.

A god that is represented in items is not God! Those gods had to be represented materially because they are no gods, their power is only in the minds of the worshipers.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:
Jesus did that for me because he loved me, what has your your god done for you?
I don't have a god.

Fictitious Jesus was imposed on you through colonization, use of threats, and coercion.

You can keep your beliefs to yourself or post them on the appropriate thread.

No point in derailing this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 25, 2020
Dont die without Christ
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 9:57am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:
Dont die without Christ

LOL... A puny God.. In hulks voice...

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 9:59am On Aug 25, 2020
solite3:
Dont die without Christ

How old are you self? So you mean you have not figured out that Jesus is a fictional character.. Hmm, your matter tire me oh

So you still have not known that Jesus is a scam. You really think if there was any power or the story was real, the European will give him to you?.. Wake up from your slumber

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do I Revive My Dieing Prayer Life / Problems with Abiogenesis / The Bible Defends Muhammad Rasulullah (as).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.