Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) (7228 Views)

Odinani And African Spirituality. / Charm Preparation And Odinani Igbo Is Two Different Things. / The Jewish Torah And The Igbo Odinani. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by OruExpress: 3:37pm On Aug 26, 2020
No, they knew
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
eplanning:

Ibin Ukpabi the Oracle where convicted criminals were supposedly eaten by the gods. But unknown to the people, these "criminals" were sent through the backdoor to Calabar where they were sold as slaves and shipped to the Americas.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/139281680182/an-entrance-to-the-ibini-ukpabi-oracle-or-the/amp

Ibni Ukpabi was a centre of the Arochukwu Confederation and human sacrifice. Can you please tell me where is the shrine of 'Long Juju'?
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by uzoexcel(m): 6:28am On Aug 27, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Abeg grow up. We are not discussing juju here. We are discussing religion.

If you want to satiate your illusions of more wealth, you watch Nollywood.

will you call it religion or tradition? just curious
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by uzoexcel(m): 6:36am On Aug 27, 2020
@seun @lalastica,
i reckon the time has come where topics dealing with tradition and culture should be prioritized on the front page of nairaland on a particular day. it will be an avenue for people to learn more about their traditions and culture.
christians have Sundays and muslims have fridays.

Thursday sounds fair enough

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:30pm On Aug 27, 2020
uzoexcel:

will you call it religion or tradition? just curious

Religion. They call it tradition so that they can dilute our Animist religious practices and replace it with christianity and islam. Don't fall for that trap.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:31pm On Aug 27, 2020
uzoexcel:
@seun @lalastica,
i reckon the time has come where topics dealing with tradition and culture should be prioritized on the front page of nairaland on a particular day. it will be an avenue for people to learn more about their traditions and culture.

*lalasticlala Seun

Thanks for this. We have been demanding this for ages but Nairaland had been purposefully ignoring our wishes.

I am even ready to contribute weekly articles if need be.

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by OtemAtum: 9:07pm On Aug 27, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

So does this dead white jew man bring wealth?
Savage grin
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 11:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

THEY'RE MESSING UP OUR THREAD AND RELIGION. BUT ONCE IRRELIGIOUS PEOPLE MAKE IT TO THEIRS THEY REMEMBER RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND OTHER NONSENSE THEY TALK ABOUT. HISTORY SHOWS CHRISTIANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BOUNDARIES. THEY WANT THEIR RELIGION TO BE RESPECTED AND ABSOLVED FROM CRITICISMS BUT ALWAYS WANT TO ENFORCE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES ON EVERYONE ELSE.

A lot of Nigerian christians and moslems are intolerant, do not know anything freedom of religion/association and definitely do not practice the doctrine of live and let live. There are many instances of them burning down traditional religion shrines - mental slaves, doing the work of their masters

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 11:44pm On Aug 27, 2020
descarado:

There is one I have visited in my village as a kid( we usually fetch firewood at the back. Big thick forest). I can remember seeing some old women always sweeping that big shrine. Everywhere is carved. Those carvings reminded me of st Peter's basilica in Rome. There is one kindergarten hall built there outside the shrine. The artefacts in that shrine are still preserved till date.

Please, do whatever you can to ensure that it is preserved for future generations. Do not let any mad hatter, arsonists, burn it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by Phut(f): 11:56pm On Aug 27, 2020
sonmvayina:

How old are you self? So you mean you have not figured out that Jesus is a fictional character.. Hmm, your matter tire me oh

So you still have not known that Jesus is a scam. You really think if there was any power or the story was real, the European will give him to you?.. Wake up from your slumber

Don’t mind him. He is mentally enslaved and so actively seeks to destroy his people’s culture, religion, tradition - much to the delight of his “masters”

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by MrColdsweat: 4:52am On Aug 28, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

The point herein is that Pagan Animist Tribal religions are not like abrahamic religions.

They are deeply intertwined with our indigenous culture and independent ideology and thought process.

For example, it is because of our indigenous religion that many of our indigenous animals and plants have survived and been protected in sacred groves and totemic reverence.

When we talking about traditional religion we are talking about preserving our natural ecosystem and (tribal) societal balance as well.

Therefore it becomes of utmost importance to preserve them.

Our natural religions are non-proselytizing so they can co-exist harmoniously with any religion. As a Pagan I can visit a mosque and church although I prefer not to because I don't get back the same respect for my beliefs and culture in return.

Animism is Spiritual Sciences . It keeps our mind open to the existence of unlimited posibilities. What you are inferring about religious is based on your exposure to an abrahamic upbringing and environment so you don't really understand where we are coming from.

When I read your tirade on Wole Soyinka I understood that you don't understand his ideology. It is the same as ours. Ogun is a part of his existence. Whether he worships it or not he respects and participates in it.

As a born Pagan I never went through any process of conversion. I joined my people in local festivals and rituals and that was it. It is a part of our natural unique existence.

Many of the great Greek scientists such as Archimedes, Aristotle, Pythagoras, Euclids etc., were fervent Pagans themselves. There spirituality never interfered with their quest for science as there was no dictat to stop them in their pursuit. These are entirely two different subject matters.

Indigenous religion leads to Nationalism and anti-colonialism but unfortunetly it was stunted at a very early phase in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. (Although there were isolated cases as well where indigenous religion took on an anti-colonial role).

Japan and India capitalized on using traditional religion as a catalyst to sucessfully inspire anti-colonialism just as the UK and Western Europe used christianity to justify colonialism. We were too late and divided in this race because we could not recognize our diverse similarities and forge it into a unified force.

In conclusion, I would say it is better to recinstrct traditional religion and reform it keeping core concepts intact.

Africans and human beings in general need spirituality in their lives. This is practical. We need to decolonize and opt for the best alternative that suits our natural psych. Our ancestors already laid out the pathway for us. We just need to believe in ourselves.

I salute you.

China, Japan are proof of what happens when a people grow with their own spirituality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by CAPSLOCKED: 8:21am On Aug 28, 2020
Phut:

A lot of Nigerian christians and moslems are intolerant, do not know anything freedom of religion/association and definitely do not practice the doctrine of live and let live. There are many instances of them burning down traditional religion shrines - mental slaves, doing the work of their masters

IF THOSE TWO RELIGIONS WERE TOLERANT THEY WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND THEIR WAY TO AFRICA. AFTER FORCEFULLY CONVERTING BILLIONS AROUND THE WORLD AND CONTINUE TO INDOCTRINATE NEW RECRUITS, THEY TURN AROUND TO PREACH RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE AND LIVE AND LET LIVE.

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THE WORST CATEGORY OF PEOPLE ARE THE NIGERIANS IN THIS 21ST CENTURY THAT UTTER THINGS LIKE "OUR GOD", "LEAVE US TO WORSHIP OUR GOD", "I WANT TO BE A FOOL FOR CHRIST", AND OTHER NONSENSE THAT INDICATE THEY SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE WITH THEIR RELIGION, MEANWHILE, THEY CRITICIZE AND TRY TO CONVERT OTHER PEOPLE?? HOW DO THEY NOT SEE THESE TWO THINGS -HYPOCRISY AND INSANITY- IN THE KIND OF LIVES THEY LIVE?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by CAPSLOCKED: 8:26am On Aug 28, 2020
uzoexcel:
@seun @lalastica,

SADLY, THAT'S GOING TO BE BAD FOR BUSINESS. OUR PEOPLE ALREADY SEE THEIR TRADITIONS AS EVIL, SO WHEN TRADITIONAL TOPICS MAKE THE FORUM'S FRONTPAGE ON A REGULAR, THERE'S CERTAINLY GOING TO BE A DROP IN NUMBERS.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by eplanning: 8:36am On Aug 28, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

SADLY, THAT'S GOING TO BE BAD FOR BUSINESS. OUR PEOPLE ALREADY SEE THEIR TRADITIONS AS EVIL, SO WHEN TRADITIONAL TOPICS MAKE THE FORUM'S FRONTPAGE ON A REGULAR, THERE'S CERTAINLY GOING TO BE A DROP IN NUMBERS.

When we say tradition tradition tradition or even traditional religion.... Are you aware that there's pure Bantu/ negro worship that is without bowing down and offering sacrifices to idols? That's what the Most high Himself gave us. Worship doesn't have to involve idols to be powerful.

All that Idolatory, our ancestors learnt from other nations (Egypt, Nubia, Kush etc.) as they migrated through the continent. And YISOLELE (ISRAEL) is still unwilling to REPENT.

The Most High has always been against the making or worship of idols, whether wood, stone, men or ancestors and he's not about to change. He alone deserves worship.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2020
Phut:

Check out the picture of the Ancient Ikoro Uga burning by these 'christian cursaders' I posted on the 1st page.

Such a huge Ikoro is very rare. An entire large tree is carved into it. What a Loss.

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:30pm On Aug 28, 2020
eplanning:

When we say tradition tradition tradition or even traditional religion.... Are you aware that there's pure Bantu/ negro worship that is without bowing down and offering sacrifices to idols? That's what the Most high Himself gave us. Worship doesn't have to involve idols to be powerful.

All that Idolatory, our ancestors learnt from other nations (Egypt, Nubia, Kush etc.) as they migrated through the continent. And YISOLELE (ISRAEL) is still unwilling to REPENT.

The Most High has always been against the making or worship of idols, whether wood, stone, men or ancestors and he's not about to change. He alone deserves worship.

Better you migrate to Kenya, Egypt, Israel, Nubia, Somalia.or whatever. There is no mention of Nigeria in your post.

You are beyond repair and have been accustomed to bowing before and considering any foreign belief or custom as superior as long as its not Nigeria. Better you leave this country.

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by eplanning: 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Better you migrate to Kenya, Egypt, Israel, Nubia, Somalia.or whatever. There is no mention of Nigeria in your post.

You are beyond repair and have been accustomed to bowing before and considering any foreign belief or custom as superior as long as its not Nigeria. Better you leave this country.

I said they migrated THROUGH, I didn't say they live there. KENYA however, has Bantus who are children of Israel living there today.

And the Most High did not form or establish the country called NIGERIA. He established the nation of YISOLELE (ISRAEL) through YAKUBI (Jacob). ISRAEL is a man, not a land. Millions of his descendants are presently in the region you call Niger-area (Nigeria).

It is the children of Israel that were put on slave ships and sent to the Americas. You cannot wish this truth away my friend. It has come to stay. This is NOT a religion... It's an AWAKENING.
#AwakeOIsrael
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by sonmvayina(m): 7:20pm On Aug 28, 2020
There is something we don't really get, the human body is like a mobile phone, our soul is the operator, the decider of what takes place, then these spirits are like the app in the phone, an app can damage a phone or turn it off, if it needs updating n u didn't upgrade it, it won't run smoothly, so there is an app for everything, there is a spirit for everything, update those spirits n ur life would run smoothly

1 Like

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2020
Obu Nkwa - Igbo Ancestral Shrine and Meeting House

The Obu Nkwa and the Okwu Alusi both serve spiritual purposes. The differences being :

1) The Obu Nkwa is a shrine dedicated to "Ancestor Spirits" of a community and its control rests in the hands of the Titled Chief of an area. The first-born of a dead father takes over the Obi (Obu) house after the ceremony of Ikpocha Obi/Abam n’Obi with the handing over of the Ofo staff. The Obu house serves as a meeting place for the men of the community where justice is meted out and rituals to the spirits of the ancestors are undertaken. The Obu house is filled with lifesize statues of ancestor spirits. Each region has its own different Ancestor Spirits.

Some Obu such as those found in Abiriba amongst the Cross-River Igbo, serve as the Meeting Places of the Ekpe Secret Society which was borrowed by the Arochukwu and Ohafia (Abia) Igbos from neighboring Ibibio and other Benue-Congo Cross-River Tribes.

2) The Okwu Alusi and the Mbari Shrines are the more important Shrines and can be considered as the Sacred Temples of the "GODs and Nature Spirits", i.e., the "Alusi" which are common to all parts of Igboland and the Core principles of Odinani Religion.

In Pic - Obu Nkwa , Asaga Ohafia

The most monumental Igbo figural sculptures are found in the mens' houses that double as shrines to the founding ancestors (and most important deities) of Eastern Igbo, Cross River, communities (Abam, Ohafia, Abiriba). This impressive structure, named a Nigerian national monument in the 1950s, houses twenty-two life size (or larger) figures. The founding ancestor is at the center of the hierarchical group to the left, with his massive first wife standing on his shoulders. The supporting cast of characters extends the notion of family to include several warriors, an old man, a girl carrying a water pot, a handcuffed criminal, a hunter, masquerader, court messenger, several women, and a white man. As a whole, the group forms a kind of microcosm of community life. Most figures line the walls of the large room, which is used as a meeting place for male elders and mens' society members who were the legislators, governors, and judges in pre-colonial times. The building was destroyed and the carvings looted, then exported, sometime during the 1970s.

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2020
Ofo Ritual Staff

The Ofo ritual staff handed over to first-born son of a deceased Chief of an Obu Ancestral House during the ceremony of Ikpocha Obi/Abam n’Obi for his subsequent takeover of the Shrine-house's management is what will be discussed here.

As can be inferred from above, the Ofo staff is connected more to the Ancestral Spirits of a lineage than the Alusi (Gods/Nature Spirits).

The Ofo is a sacred symbol of worship of the Igbo people.

The Ofo (or Ofor) is a particular type of staff (as well as the wood or bronze from which it is made) that is carried by selected Igbo leaders - notably patrilineage priests, kings, onyishi and some masqueraders that signifies authority, the right to command, legal administrative powers, and/or the conferment of leadership and power bestowed by the Ancestral Spirits.

The Ofo is a symbolic object. It is the sacred symbol of truth, authority, justice, law and administrative power. It primarily bestows upon the holder or bearer the right to offer sacrifices - as well as perform rituals, make prayers, swear to oaths, pronounce judgement, deliberate policy within the family, clan or community, and invoke blessings or curses. The Ofo may be made from bronze, brass or wood. It symbolizes a family, clan or community's authority and can only be handled by those who are authorized (or otherwise entitled) to wield it. It is revered by the group it represents, and is treated as an heirloom - passing from generation to generation.

The Ofo serves as a symbol of power and authority for office holders and titled men, or as a sacred family icon. The Ofo represents the collective power of the Ancestor spirits as well as the truths given by Chineke to a person. The Ofo also symbolizes the link between the living holder of family or ruling authority and their ancestors.

The Ofo is believed to symbolize the link that exists between its owner's people and Chineke. It is a channel between the living, the dead, and those yet to be born. The Ofo therefore plays a role in prayer, ritual sacrifice, contact of spirit patrons, magic, naming ceremonies, determining schedules of events, affirming moral uprightness, sealing covenants, legitimizing states or offices, making decisions, settling disputes, taking oaths of administration, and promulgating and enforcing laws.

The most important 'Ofo' is the lineage 'Ofo', believed to have been acquired by the founder of the 'Umunna' (family lineage group), as head. At the death of such a head, the next 'Okpara' (first male child) inherits it. So it goes, handed from generation to generation. There are also personal 'Ofo'. A young man acquires his first 'Ofo' when he is initiated into his first 'Ozo' (a sacred institution reserved for the honourable elders of the community) title. As one advances into the more senior 'Ozo', one acquires the corresponding 'Ofo'. Thus, to possess 'Ofo' is a symbol of great social, religious and moral achievement. The individual 'Ofo' of the 'Ozo' titled man can only be inherited by his eldest son after all the burial rites have been completed. It is regarded a calamity when a dead father has no son to inherit his 'Ofo'.

In Nsukka cultural settings,"ofo" is called "ohoo" and is used as a symbol of identity by the Onyishi. It in turn acts as a symbol of worship too since an Onyishi being a village head hardly prays without an ofo/ohoo on his hand.

Ohoo in Onyishi, is gotten from a tree known as ukwu ohoo.You can not use ohoo in Nsukka culture unless you are an Onyishi.

An Ofo is obtained from the twig of the ofo tree (Delarium Senegalese). This falls naturally away from the branches of the parent tree. These twigs represent the authority of a man to control his wives, and children. The Ofo was among the Igbo “the supreme ancestral symbol, the staff of traditional authority and influence as well as the symbol of justice, truth and right living.

The Ofo is also usually made out of Brass metal.

Among the Igbo the eldest son of a man inherits the family Ofo on his death, through the ceremony of Abam n’Obi. The custody of the lineage or village community Ofo lies with the eldest male member of the lineage or village.

The Ofo is a symbol of ancestral authority and continuity, especially when it is formerly handed on to Okpara (the first-born son) through the Abam n’Obi Ceremony.

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by IduNaOba: 10:53pm On Aug 28, 2020
That uga own vex me because it's a very old artifact.
For say money dey I for buy am!
Even I talk say I go still sue them for destroying a precious artifact...
Ndị a ji ụka ndị ọcha na emebiri anyị ihe dị be anyị mehn.
Ndị ara ndị ara
PAGAN9JA:
1. Ikoro Umu Nze

2. Ikoro Obibabku

3. Ikoro Umunze

4. Ikoro Uga Anambra - Now burnt and destroyed recently by christian 'crusaders'.

Sacred Ikoro War Drums

They hearken back to the headhunting past of Igbo people. The sacred Ikoro drum would be strategically placed at the centre of market suare to alert the entire village to war or religious festivals.

Motifs and Symbols Addressing the Igbo Spiritual World View and Procreation

Male and Female Duality - Dual Forces

Using the dualistic view of the cosmos by the Igbo people, one can best describe the recurrence of both male and female forms on Ikoro as a representation of this dualism in human existence. The Igbo man believes that things are in twos (ihe di abua abua). There is day and night, good and bad, spirit and human world, up and down, left and right. In the same vein, there is man and woman. Without woman there can be no man (and vice versa). Therefore, on many ikoro drums, the number of carved male figures at one end of the drum is balanced with equal number of females at the other end. The presence of male and female figures also suggests procreation – something very precious in the Igbo world. Every man prays for the continued existence of the family through procreation as demonstrated in such Igbo names as Obiechina (may the lineage not come to a close), Amaechina (may the compound not close down), Ahamefuna (may I not lose my identity).
Nothing gave the Igbo person a sense of assurance than the fact that he still had a place to visit and stay when he died and became an ancestor. He must strive to get as many children as possible in order to actualize this ideal aptly illustrated in the name, Maduakonobi (the compound never lacks people) which in short, is called Akonobi or Maduako. In Igbo family therefore, when a man fails to get male children through his wife he, takes another one with the hope of getting male children to ensure the continued existence of the family name. Sons would generally die in war and so they were of utmost importance for continuity of the line. Ikoro Eziagu has two female figures and a male figure on the drum body, probably illustrating the above idea. Ikoro Umuchu has a pregnant woman interacting with another figure while Ikoro Ogbudu, Ikoro Ogbunka and Ikoro Obibiaku (in Umunze) have a male and female fibures on the drum.

Importance of Sacred Animals in Igbo Religion : Snakes (Pythons), Lizards (Crocodile) and Tortoise - Forbidden to Kill

There are some meanings attached to the ritual animals which appear on Ikoro drum. The snake, the lizard (crocodile) and tortoise are sacred animals in many communities and are often not killed. They are also believed to be the primordial animals as told in folklore and myths.
Many Igbo folktales that touch on origins and beginnings of life usually start with ‘long long time ago, before the beginning of time, itself, when the lizards moved in twos and threes, and when the python moved along the pathways with royal gait…. Among the Igbo people, there is a school of thought that thinks that the tortoise shell symbolizes death, but a more popular belief is that the tortoise represents the typical character of an Igbo man. ‘His’ tricks, successes and failures, are illustrations of Igbo wisdom (and foolishness). It is said in local circles that whatever story that excudes the mbe (tortoise) becomes tasteless. Consequently, on some ikoro drums, especially in Amuzu and Ngwa areas of Imo State, the tortoise is shown in constant relationship with the heavenly bodies (the moon and stars) and also with other primordial beings – the python and the lizard (crocodile). The python, as a messenger of the deity that owns the drum, represents that deity. In the shrine of Ajala, the deity that owns Ikoro Ajala, the same python was carefully sculpted in clay meandering its way around the Ajala figures. By appearing on Ikoro Ajala, Alachebe affirmed that the manifestation of Ajala deity on the Ikoro was complete. The use of python as a motif in Ikoro drum body is wide spread in Igboland and it shows the degree of importance attached to it as a sacred animal. For this reason, it is hardly killed by many Igbo communities. If it was inadvertently killed it was given a burial that almost equalled that given to a human being. On an ikoro, a python is sometimes shown swallowing another animal, meaning a greater community symbolically swallowing a weaker community. It is in line with the Igbo proverb which says that though many animals exist in the forest, there exists the python who owns the forest (Anu juru n’ohia ma o nwelu eke nwe ohia). It is the linear incisions (akika) on the ikoro that could be termed exclusively decorative. For example, on the ikoro in Umudioka, Awka, oblique lines serve as background textures for figures carved on the drum while on Ikoro Ngele Ojii, the lines are used as a decorative device. It is true that the relief representations of forms on ikoro drums are statements which help to explain what the ikoro stands for, it is also clear that ikoro is the community’s collective voice for making outstanding pronouncements that concern all vital aspects of the community’s life. However, the representation of a man holding a head in his outstretched hands, a man holding a machete and a head, human heads on the drum, the myths attached to ikoro, the war cry sent out by the drummer while beating the ikoro and the language of ikoro significantly point to the fact the ikoro was first and foremost a martial drum. It was the martial success and quest for more successes that the first ikoro drum symbolised.

Cc gwafaeziokwu, Ibuewuoffia, Omaricha002, OruExpress,Gjrich, IduNaOba, jollofmonster, selemempe, GuyWise101, nwanyionitsha, Truthwords, onitshaman, Godons1, Nzeodogwu, Chinene1,Nzeodogwu, Nduzeal, goodnessme1, Nwaehime, obiekunie2, ludd2018, Rugaria, Ikemavictor, Igbodicool, ScotMisile, ejighikemeuwa, izuswift, UdechiHD, bunbit23, IgboPikin, Ugwuoke347

2 Likes

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by descarado: 8:15am On Aug 29, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Strange why did you remove that post? shocked
Haaa cheesy
You caught me.

It's a bit personal
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by LordReed(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2020
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12191138_images20200822t104524_655_jpeg_jpegd6e050d49076c0061a0a28e39775066a

Tomorrow you people will say unclothedness is a foreign introduction. Is this not a woman bare chested in this pix?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:07pm On Aug 29, 2020
LordReed:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12191138_images20200822t104524_655_jpeg_jpegd6e050d49076c0061a0a28e39775066a

Tomorrow you people will say unclothedness is a foreign introduction. Is this not a woman bare chested in this pix?

Don't count me amongst the "you people". I've always advocated for traditional nudity wherever needed. It is not sexual. Our ancestors never felt that pervertedness because they were accustomed to it. It is the barbaric abrahamic cults that are responsible for the degeneration of our youth's mentality.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by LordReed(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

Don't count me amongst the "you people". I've always advocated for traditional nudity wherever needed. It is not sexual. Our ancestors never felt that pervertedness because they were accustomed to it. It is the barbaric abrahamic cults that are responsible for the degeneration of our youth's mentality.
Well that's good cos some people who hypocritically mention Africans as having "modesty" as culture are the ones I am referring to. I also know the religious folks are also prudish but their own is on a different level.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:16pm On Aug 30, 2020
LordReed:
Well that's good cos some people who hypocritically mention Africans as having "modesty" as culture are the ones I am referring to. I also know the religious folks are also prudish but their own is on a different level.

True. Hypocrites.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2020
1. Ote Iri mask, Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia

2. Ote Iri mask, Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia

3. Mask depicting a Dibia (Shaman Priest), Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia

4. Mask depicting a Dibia (Shaman Priest), Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:13pm On Aug 31, 2020
1. The Dibia Obia Spirit Dancer revives another Dibia after their battle of medicine, Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia.

2. Another mask of the Okwanko group, Okwanko Spirit Dancers, Akanu Ohafia.

3. Ohafia war dancer with headboard of trophy skulls (oyaya), Akanu Ohafia.

4. Arunsi Shrine, Akanu Ohafia.

Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2020
IduNaOba:
That uga own vex me because it's a very old artifact.
For say money dey I for buy am!
Even I talk say I go still sue them for destroying a precious artifact...
Ndị a ji ụka ndị ọcha na emebiri anyị ihe dị be anyị mehn.
Ndị ara ndị ara

There are still some Igbo shrine artefacts being sold on the international market. If you got the money i can link you up to buy them back.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by frankyychiji(f): 2:55am On Sep 02, 2020
PAGAN9JA:

All Tribal Animist religions around the world have the the same core concept . They are natural Spiritual religions.

They need to be saved for the balance of the Earth and nature to be maintained.
I concur.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by letu(m): 7:51am On Sep 11, 2020
solite3:

A god that is represented in items is not God! Those gods had to be represented materially because they are no gods, their power is only in the minds of the worshipers.
said by someone that makes use of item called book also know as Bible, the way you and those like you reason sometimes makes me wonder undecided undecided undecided undecided.
Re: Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) by letu(m): 8:00am On Sep 11, 2020
solite3:
Dont get blinded by tribal sentiment. The truth knows no colour.
It is either God or the devil there is no middle ground.
God has open the door for all nations of the earth to be saved.
Dont let satan keep you out from God's grace by using, tribe or gender.
Jesus died for you all, listen God has flung the gate of eternal life open to all who will come to Jesus.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Stop this Nollywood movies that you're watching, such movies will only give you an irreparable damage to your reasoning. Well I will tell you this, which is that too much of watching Nollywood movies is not good for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Bible Defends Muhammad Rasulullah (as). / When Is Rapture . Pre Tribulation, Mid Tribulation Or Post Tribulation / SERMON JOTTERS: Mystery Of Divine Assistance {sunday Service} - Dr. D.K Olukoya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.