Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,253 members, 7,815,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League (22392 Views)

Nigerian Football Players And Their Wives/Girlfriends (Photos) / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / Why We Booed Dele Alli - Nigerian Football Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Scarrr: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2020
Globad:

Who changed things for Nigerian music?

even oyinbo dey vibe to awa Burnaboy ,Davido,Wizkid ...e.t.c songs...badbelle
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ArticleBeast: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2020
Globad:

Who changed things for Nigerian music?

MTV changed the naija music scene
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ComputerWiz007: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It has been my observation that Nigerians are versed with European soccer leagues like English premier league and Spanish premier league ,and perhaps Italian and German. I find it weird because most countries I've visited usually prefer their own sport leagues. For example , Lithuania is a basketball nation and they have their own basketball league( Lietuvos krepšinio lyga) which they enjoy . In fact, most people there are not versed with America's NBA league because they prefer their own league .
Most people in Brazil and Argentina prefer their own soccer league ,despite the fact they probably have some of their top stars in European league.
Most people in North America prefer American leagues. Even though soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US, most North American soccer fans still prefer American soccer league and the stadiums are usually filled.

Why don't Nigerians like Nigerian soccer league, and what do you think can be done to improve so that it becomes a household league that Nigerians can enjoy and frequent ?

And you ended ur article with a picture of a stadium in Europe. I guess that answers ur question.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by deavicky(m): 7:45am On Aug 24, 2020
Skyfornia:
Nigerians never believe in their own...that's the reason someone from Sudan is leading them.
not true because I can remember those days we use to watch in our local stadiums the whole stadium out side and inside will be filled with people, suddenly people stop going to watch match. I will only tell u three reasons why I stopped.
1. If u go there now, boys will end up snatching ur property.
2. The useless boys seating above u will decide to look for ur trouble by spilling pure water on you.
3. Another important thing again is home team must win.
Port Harcourt my case study.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ModestGal(f): 7:46am On Aug 24, 2020
Nigerians don't enjoy anything of their own, and everything of Nigeria is not standard and would likely be wack
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by femi4: 7:48am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It's weird how a country of 200 million people and yet there's no diversity in sports.
Sport leagues and events generate billions of dollars to the US and European economies. Nigerians preference of European league contributes to growth of European economy.
Why do Nigerians prefer Toyota to Innoson? why do Nigerians prefer inflated Chinese firms and Julius Berger firm than their own ? it simply makes no sense . Why is a Nigerian's life long dream or goal is to migrate to US,Canada,Australia,Sweden,Norway,Germany,Netherlands,Japan,etc. ?
At least we now appreciate Nigerian musics, though it took us time to get there. If our leagues can improve, the changes will reflect gradually
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Dibodibo(m): 7:51am On Aug 24, 2020
Don't you prefer foreign gin than sapele ogogoro?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Kendaboss(m): 7:51am On Aug 24, 2020
Our local media are also not helping matters to make the league enticing, they mostly focus on foreign leagues.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Globad(f): 7:52am On Aug 24, 2020
Scarrr:
even oyinbo dey vibe to awa Burnaboy ,Davido,Wizkid ...e.t.c songs...badbelle

You didn't understand or answer the question?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Globad(f): 7:54am On Aug 24, 2020
ModestGal:
Nigerians don't enjoy anything of their own, and everything of Nigeria is not standard and would likely be wack

Don't Nigerians enjoy Nigerian music?

Nigerian cables and wires are also better than imported ones.

So, don't generalise
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ModestGal(f): 7:57am On Aug 24, 2020
Globad:

Don't Nigerians enjoy Nigerian music?

Nigerian cables and wires are also better than imported ones.

So, don't generalise
I agree, you have a point, I guess I missed it. Nigerians do like Nigerian stuffs when its well packaged and not the rubbish they do in Nigerian sport that would turn any sane person off.
But Nigerians still value anything the whites do more than what Nigerians do
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Olatemiseeni24: 7:57am On Aug 24, 2020
Coz only the home team do win
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Tapout(m): 8:02am On Aug 24, 2020
oya see na...ur asking y we don't like the NPL but u used a picture of foreign stadium. Seems you've answered your own question by yourself alone.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Dextre(m): 8:04am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It's weird how a country of 200 million people and yet there's no diversity in sports.
Sport leagues and events generate billions of dollars to the US and European economies. Nigerians preference of European league contributes to growth of European economy.
Why do Nigerians prefer Toyota to Innoson? why do Nigerians prefer inflated Chinese firms and Julius Berger firm than their own ? it simply makes no sense . Why is a Nigerian's life long dream or goal is to migrate to US,Canada,Australia,Sweden,Norway,Germany,Netherlands,Japan,etc. ?

Nigerian league is just shite simple! Most African nations follow premier league than their league too,it's just cos it's utter shite. We can't have SA's kinda league and not watch them,that right there is a league
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Globad(f): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2020
ModestGal:

I agree, you have a point, I guess I missed it. Nigerians do like Nigerian stuffs when its well packaged and not the rubbish they do in Nigerian sport that would turn any sane person off.
But Nigerians still value anything the whites do more than what Nigerians do

I agree. Nigerian sports needs to be upgraded so that it becomes attractive to investors and Nigerians
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by bukatyne(f): 8:08am On Aug 24, 2020
AreaFada2:

This is no excuse. Barca and Real Madrid were always richer than Enugu Rangers, Bendel Insurance, Shooting Stars, Pillars and others.

But we passionately supported our local clubs.

Fact is choice. Given a choice, the average Nigerian will choose something imported. It has led to local production falling. It reduces strength of local currency too as we need more dollars to pay for import.

So fowotball is just part of general trend. If we had easy access to foreign league matches 40 or 30 years ago, same would have happened.

True.

It is not a football or sports thing.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by christejames(m): 8:08am On Aug 24, 2020
oluwaSavage:
I'm a football fan, and I follow the NPFL, but truth be told, our leaders aren't making the sport more enticing to the youths, if I'm right, billions are budgeted every year but almost 80% of it ends up being embezzled. Take a look at our stadiums for instance, a place where it's supposed to be an institution looks like a town hall, why would I be enticed to such a mediocre, 10billion naira projects looking like a 100million naira project.

Poverty, hypocricy, inferiority complex and security plays another role too

Some people will say Rome was not built in a day, sit down there o, 200yrs later, future generations will say the same thing. Nigeria is more richer than most countries. We have the billions to make and package the NPFL to the populace. But our Potbellied politicians only know how to embezzle and show off mediocre stadiums as achievements.

Great submission, I am also a big fan of our league and earnestly can't wait to see it become a household name on the continent.

Since we both share the same passion, if you don't mind I will like to add you to one of the best whatsapp groups in the country on Naija league, it houses some media officers, LMC officers, players, and passionate fans like us. If you do want to join please let me have your number.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by jumper524(m): 8:13am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
about sport, I don't think it's our fault.
I swear any opportunity to watch our NPFL match, I no dey miss am.
in the past DSTV do show our NPFL match(selected) probably the ones played in bigger stadium but today nothing, they stopped showing it 4 to 5 years back.
if they market themselves I swear we go watch them.
our fathers when love football watch them during their days but today Na only livescore and papers we dey see them.
pls don't blame us the leauge should blame tgeirselves for poor marketing.

today now I know most SA leauge players and clubs than NPFL.
why??

ss4 dey always show them and also the match quality is almost like EPL.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by christejames(m): 8:13am On Aug 24, 2020
LadySarah:
Gross foolishness.
My love for Enyimba I can't explain.

I always look forward to their matches.

BTW, that's the only football match I watch!

Nice one dear, I am also a passionate fan of the league. If you don't mind, I would like to add you to one of the most vibrant whatsapp groups on NPFL in the country, we have some media officers, LMC officers, players, and more passionate fans.

If you care to join please send me your number.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Goalnaldo(m): 8:15am On Aug 24, 2020
Skynet45:
Bet9ja should add nigerian premier league to their games. I'm sure people will show more interest after that
it's already there.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by jaxxy(m): 8:16am On Aug 24, 2020
because it looks too local, crappy and poorly organized.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by guy222: 8:17am On Aug 24, 2020
EmptyGarden:
Choice... No be everybody dey chop for mamaput.
They day i watch nigeria football and listen to the commentary by aloko flashman i weep for our league. When a lobi star player nod a ball, the commentator said "A header by header, and when they score a goal he said, " is this a goal? Oh no is a goal. A player was down and the rest were drinking water he said oh no it is now a water time. All this happen in one single match. God forbid i repeat it again and again, God forbid. I rather use my time walking in the street like a mad man than sit down and watch a nigeria league. And the worst of it all is that the pitch look like an harvested potatoes farm.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by LoveJesus87(m): 8:17am On Aug 24, 2020
Babangida70:
The way referees go home after a match in Nigerian league grin
woh u head dey der grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by dangermouse(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2020
mployer:
The problem is the people managing the league. They don't package and sell it well.

There were times Nigerians preferred foreign musicians to local ones. Then some people came in and changed things.
U are right. But then it came with a price. Local radio stations where mandated to play 20% of foreign music and 80% local. If they can do that in foothball, just wondering if it can work.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by bigstan11787(m): 8:21am On Aug 24, 2020
Do you like it?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Goalnaldo(m): 8:27am On Aug 24, 2020
Missyford31:

You're correct. I'm an Australian woman n we love our AFL (Australian football league) not many follow overseas football or soccer. I guess sum might but I've never met any. The only time we follow is wen our cricket teams play other countries teams. Our football is similar to rugby yet completely different to it. It's a good game n Aussie states play against each other all year then have finals similar to soccer in that way but they don't play other countries as is only an Australian game. Other countries don't play it. We do have teams in other sports I'm not sure bout soccer tho if we have a team cos I've never met anyone who watches it here. Sum primary school n high school kids do have school teams n I think there's local soccer clubs in some areas for adults but isn't that popular
sorry if you're really an Australian woman, how did you come to know about this forum?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Scarrr: 8:27am On Aug 24, 2020
Globad:

You didn't understand or answer the question?
the point here is do away with slavery mentality and stop acting like mumu...there are lots of good Nigerian songs out there , even Oyinbo ppl get lots of wack musicians as much as we have here...u just and hypocrite, btw, which one u fit sing? Share us links to your songs ,make we see ur great songs first cheesy
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by 12345baba(m): 8:27am On Aug 24, 2020
Silly question that u already know the answer.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Keyyom22: 8:30am On Aug 24, 2020
uncleinans:

I still prefer foreign music than the rubish Nigerians sing. Songs without sense and meaning.
Dont loud it they will come for you.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Dreyton36: 8:32am On Aug 24, 2020
Nigerian get league
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by inumidun2010(m): 8:32am On Aug 24, 2020
Rubbish league
- Poor Commentary
- Poor Officiating
- Poor Graphics
- Boring matches ( all they know is too kick the ball, nothing like entertaining football)
- Poor attitude of home side including their fans ( they must beat fans and players of the club who beats them at home, they must fight Referees if they blow foul against them... Everything na scam
- their replay looks like Rewinding a Video Cassette

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by thekingofafrica: 8:34am On Aug 24, 2020
I think the problem is with the packaging, in the 80s the stadias were super full with people watching Levintis playing iwayanywu nationale, you’d find many old music from ebenezer obey and iyinlla omowura dedicated to challenge cup finals, in the days of old, Nigerians preferred foreign music and movies to Nigerian own, someone did their homework well, Nigerians barely listen to foreign music anymore, and our Nollywood movie has a bigger fan base, the NFL has a lot to do, firstly, away clubs must be able to win and go home safely. The intrigue of Swansea beating united at home is still one of the standout factors of the premiership.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Athletes Don’t Need Too Much Preparation To Win Medals – Dalung / Lampard Records The Worst Point-Per-Game of any Manager Under The Abramovich Era / Odunayo Adekuoroye Wins Pro Wrestling League In India. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.